Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Thread

Lantern7
  • Start Topic

With reruns being aired twice a week on Comedy Central, I thought an all-inclusive thread should be set up . . . especially with "Sea Tunt" getting aired tomorrow night. There are too many quotes and scenes for me to remember now, so I'll leave it to you guys to start, How about this: "'Git in mah big ole vagina! I'm Lana!'"

Here's one of my favorite quotes of the whole series, brought to us by Cheryl/Carol:

"Please! If you really cared, you'd resign, but there's no way you ever will because you're just counting days until--her face bloated and yellow from liver failure--she calls you to her deathbed and, in a croaky whisper, explains that Mr. Archer is totally incompetent and that you, the long suffering Lana Kane, are the only one qualified to run ISIS and you weep shameful tears because this terrible place is the only love you will ever know."

Pam's face during this is amazing. Oh, excuse me, I mean…A-MAAAA-ZING!!

• Love 1

And Cheryl didn't even know she was saying that out loud.

"Archer Vice" kicks off now on Comedy Central. I'll always dig "White Elephant" because I got a preview of that at NYCC 2013. I wonder what happened to all the office drones that weren't in the main cast. Aside from Brett, who wound up dying as he lived: getting shot.

• Love 1

Heads up . . . Comedy Central will be running an Archer marathon from 6:18 p.m. through 11 p.m. And it case you were upset that CC skipped over "Heart of Archness"  last Friday night . . . they'll be running it starting at 7:22. In case you never saw it . . . Archer becomes a pirate king, and he didn't even need to find the One Piece to do it. </animegeek>

ETA: The marathon ends with the two-part "Palace Intrigue," which closes "Archer Vice."

ETA2: I forgot "Palace Intrigue" was a three-parter. My bad.

I think my favorite/most quotable episode is still "Lo Scandalo".  Not only is it the birth of the "fancy dinner party voices", there are so many lines in there that just kill me:

Archer: I have a question, Mother. Why does this chair have no seat?  And WHAT... IS IN HIS ASS?! Mother! What is in his ass?!
Malory: Oh, please. Don't act like you've never seen a "marital aid" before.
Archer: Not in a dead prime minister's ass!
Malory: And you can stop repeating that! We've established where it is!

Archer: Self-defense, Mother! It's your only shot! We'll have to uncuff him and "de-dildo" him, obviously. Smash up the furniture like he was chasing you all rapey. Fortunately, he's Italian so that shouldn't be too hard to sell.

Cyril: I hate all of you so much.
Ray: No one cares, Figgis. You're only here to round out the numbers.

I also like the entire run in Bloody Ferlin about Ray's brother exclusively pronouncing NYC as "Neeeeeew York City" and that Ray's cover story was that he was an interior decorator, which his brother interprets to mean that Ray's swimming in women.  

• Love 3

Checking out the show's first season on Comedy Central. Saw Archer talking to Krieger without the techie even saying anything. Now that's an old episode. After "Training Day" is "Diversity Hire." Conway Stern! Cheryl as Cristal!

Checking out the show's first season on Comedy Central. Saw Archer talking to Krieger without the techie even saying anything. Now that's an old episode. After "Training Day" is "Diversity Hire." Conway Stern! Cheryl as Cristal!

Yeah it takes a few episodes for the show to decide where it's going with its characters.  The first two especially show Pam as a more straight-laced HR rep and Cheryl/Carol as a Moneypenny-lite who fawned over Archer.  The show hit its stride better once their stranger (or in Cheryl's case psychotic) sides showed.  And Krieger and Ray only show up a few episodes in the first season.  I think Ray's first big scene is "Skytanic" when they're trying to disable the bomb (M as in Mancy!)

Archer: I have a question, Mother. Why does this chair have no seat?  And WHAT... IS IN HIS ASS?! Mother! What is in his ass?!

Malory: Oh, please. Don't act like you've never seen a "marital aid" before.

Archer: Not in a dead prime minister's ass!

Malory: And you can stop repeating that! We've established where it is!

Archer: Self-defense, Mother! It's your only shot! We'll have to uncuff him and "de-dildo" him, obviously. Smash up the furniture like he was chasing you all rapey. Fortunately, he's Italian so that shouldn't be too hard to sell.

Yes.  That scene killed me when I saw it originally.

• Love 2

Yeah it takes a few episodes for the show to decide where it's going with its characters.  The first two especially show Pam as a more straight-laced HR rep and Cheryl/Carol as a Moneypenny-lite who fawned over Archer.  The show hit its stride better once their stranger (or in Cheryl's case psychotic) sides showed.  And Krieger and Ray only show up a few episodes in the first season.  I think Ray's first big scene is "Skytanic" when they're trying to disable the bomb (M as in Mancy!)

As far as the show hitting its stride i would also add that it was once they decided that Sterling really was the world's most dangerous spy, a super competent badass who had trouble with missions because he was hilariously self-absorbed (and also an alcoholic). They could have easily made him a bumbling idiot who just got the job because of his mom.

Can someone explain the whole Carol/Cheryl thing?  i thought her name was Cheryl but Archer was such a careless/arrogant ass that he couldn't be bothered to learn her real name and kept screwing up by calling her Carol.

However, some recent episodes/scenes have me confused because others started calling her Carol. Is it just a running gag now? Did i miss some explanation?

(edited)
6 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Can someone explain the whole Carol/Cheryl thing?  i thought her name was Cheryl but Archer was such a careless/arrogant ass that he couldn't be bothered to learn her real name and kept screwing up by calling her Carol.

However, some recent episodes/scenes have me confused because others started calling her Carol. Is it just a running gag now? Did i miss some explanation?

If I remember right, the running joke is that she keeps on changing her name because she is basically a rich sociopathic socialite (in one of the earlier seasons, either in 2 or 3, it is revealed that she is one heiress to a massive fortune that her great-grandfather was a massive railroad tycoon/baron). I believe in the first episode she was called, "Carol" then she demanded that everyone call her "Cheryl" and that stuck. Although, during Season 5 she had her mind reprogram (and I think it was by her own consent) to a country singer and she was then called, "Charlene". Whatever is her real is doesn't matter because she is so batshit crazy that she keeps on changing her name to something else. 

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm pretty positive that she was born Cheryl, because that's what her brother calls her. (That and "Beans".) She legally changed it to Carol after Archer wouldn't stop calling her that, and ever since she seems to answer to either of those two names. (The other names she tried out, like Carina and Cristal, didn't seem to stick.) I think she's only called Carol by Archer, Mallory and Lana on occasion.

Edited by PinkRibbons

I'm currently binge watching the show for the first time on Netflix. I'm near the end of season four right now.

One of my favorite bits of characterization is how much Archer loves (most) animals. Whenever an animal shows up, I get excited for him to interact with it.

(edited)

FXX airs the season opener twice tonight, followed by two classics from the first season: "Honeypot" (the one where Archer tries to get a man interested in him) and "Skorpio" (the one with Lana and Archer in danger, and the rest of the gang hanging out at Krieger's Fort Kickass).

Edited by Lantern7

That might have been a coincidence. Now I'm dreading a news organization doing an obituary, ending with the sound of a bowl rattling on the floor. Maybe followed by Ron breaking out the crackers.

• Love 1