Type keyword(s) to search

S14: Speculation Without Spoilers

• Start Topic

I speculate that the judges will come up with some phrase to obsess about and keep repeating it through the season. 

And I speculate that phrase will be, High Low.

And I further speculate that we will see some HighLow fashions that really weren't meant to be HighLow but, "because of time constraints..."

• Love 2

And how many of those will be high, higher, rather than high low?  Well, low lower on top, high higher on the bottom.

Just the way Heidi likes it.

I speculate that someone will win that someone else on the show dislikes and doesn't think deserves to be in the contest.  I speculate that all the contestants think, whether they voice this opinion or not, that they are better than all the current and past contestants (and why would they be in a contest if they didn't think so). I speculate that some if not all the challenges will be ridiculous.   I speculate that there will be at least one real person challenge in which the real people will find their original clothes/make up were better than what the designers decide for them. I speculate that the judges will come up with some phrase to obsess about and keep repeating it through the season.  I speculate that several of the guest judges will be people who seem unlikely choices for such a job.   I speculate I'll watch anyway.  And I sincerely hope most of my speculations are wrong.

I have other speculations but they are not appropriate here.  Still, weirdly, looking forward to the first episode. Let the games begin.

I second all your speculation and add my own speculation that 90% of the skill and creativity of the designers will be crushed by impossible time constraints, that they'll be forced to present grossly simplified versions of their best ideas and that they'll be criticized for producing shoddy workmanship.

I speculate that the one-day challenge will continue to be standard, so that "draping" will be the most effective technique in any designer's arsenal.  That there will be no set-in sleeve or bust dart, no tailored jacket or pants.  That some garments will be hemmed with pinking shears and no garment will ever be lined. 

I've never missed an episode of PR, but I think I'm being loyal to a caricature of a show that doesn't exist anymore.  I really, sincerely, hope my speculations are wrong, too, and if not, it's time to let go.

• Love 4

The ones who demonstrate a pattern of getting a "vision" of a task pretty quickly seem to be the ones who go to the end.   They are the ones with "ideas".  After only two challenges, I think it's hard to say who those are but for now I'm going with:

ashley
swapnil
edmond
candice

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 1

I speculate that Tim Gunn's save will be wasted again. I thought Justin was an okay save (and his final collection was quite intriguing), but Charkita was a true waste. I picture it being used on someone like Merline. I don't feel...in MY opinion...that Tim saves talent, he saves emotion. Someone with a pleasantly perceived personality who is very emotional upon elimination. I'd like to see him save it for a truly talented designer and not his pet, but I doubt it.

After watching the first four episodes, and if I had to select at this point in viewing this season, who I thought would be in the final three:

I would vote Candice, Swapnil and Edmond. Not necessarily in this order.

Any thoughts??

Edited by NolaBorn

I'm actually tentatively calling Candice for the Tim Gunn save. She's got the hard luck origin story, the bourgeois countercultural affectations so she's 'street' but without the unfashionable dust of an actual street, the kid who magically turned her toward the light, and now an asshole narrative I think the monkeys had more than a little to do with. She's, like, Tim nip, down to the Michellesque grrlpower pronouncements.

I'm speculating that Edmond & Swapnil will make the finals. (not much risk to that bet!) I'm on the fence about whether #3 will end up being Blake, Ashley, or Candice.

It will depend on how Tim uses his save. I don't think Ashley has shown work so far to merit being final 3, but I can see Tim using his save on her. I can see the judges favoring Blake right up until they suddenly and inexplicably DON"T, and Tim using his save on Blake. I can see Candice turning in another outfit that had potential but turned into an overworked hot mess (like the one this challenge) and getting auf'ed and Tim saving her.

I can also see Tim using his save on Merline if he hasn't already used it on one of those I just mentioned.

I'm also seeing Jake as a dark horse contender at this point. Personalities aside, I think he might send some really good stuff down just as he did this episode. So Tim MIGHT use his save on Jake if an elimination of him comes too soon. I don't think Tim will save him to go the distance or expect him to do so however, so I'm betting against Jake getting the save or ending up final 3. But I could see him or Merline being #4 if Ashley and Candice BOTH crash and burn. I think we can bet on Blake ending up as 3 or 4 either through judging or saving.

Barring some upset, I'm expecting Kelly, Lindsey, Laurie and Joseph to be the next 4 out (in no particular order, although I'm expecting Kelly or Lindsey to go next, and then the next toss-up being between Joe and Laurie once K & L are both gone) Joseph's sewing skills may save his ass for a little while longer if more team challenges come while he is around, which will give rise to Tim using his save on someone who has more vision but poorer execution.

I've wondered many times if Tim decides in advance who he will save if they get auf'ed, long before they actually DO get auf'ed. I also wonder what he would do if the person he had planned to save does NOT get auf'ed and he gets sorta pressured into a corner of using the save towards the end because he hasn't yet.

Edited by slothgirl
  • Love 1

Here is an excerpt from the interview:

Q: Something must have been systemically wrong if the entire group was off their game.
Tim: Oh, yes. I kept saying to the judges that there was one designer in particular that needed to go because I felt that once that designer left, it would A) send a resounding message to all of the remaining designers about how serious this is and B) the laziest of the lot would be gone and it would help eradicate all of the other laziness.

Nothing about sending the designer home because their work was poorly done or was crappy.  Just that the designer should be sent home because they weren't working the way Tim thought they should work and to send a message to other designers.

If a designer doesn't take their work seriously enough and is put in the bottom, that is on them and no one else.  No one took random naps because Kini was napping, nor would anyone have blamed Kini if that happened.  These are all grown adults, they are responsible for their own work product.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 2

Here is an excerpt from the interview:

Q: Something must have been systemically wrong if the entire group was off their game.

Tim: Oh, yes. I kept saying to the judges that there was one designer in particular that needed to go because I felt that once that designer left, it would A) send a resounding message to all of the remaining designers about how serious this is and B) the laziest of the lot would be gone and it would help eradicate all of the other laziness.

I wonder which less-talented designer with industry connections Tim is rooting for?

• Love 1

Tim needs to take time off.  We are talking Project Runway here; taking it seriously is pretty hard these days.

We are maybe two seasons away from the "White Rain hair salon," the "99 cent store makeup boutique," and the "Walmart Accessory Wall"

And maybe three seasons from the models just doing their own makeup and walking barefoot down the runway.

And perhaps four seasons from them just picking really skinny drug addicts off the street to model clothes because no one wants to pay models.

• Love 1

If you haven't checked already, Project Runway's Facebook page has the clip where Tim loses his temper from this week's show.

And it is definitely Swapnil that is involved.  And Tim is pretty angry about Swapnil not using his time as well as the other designers.  I'm not sure this will wake Swapnil from whatever haze he has been in (guess we will tell when we see the whole episode).  You don't have to be a member of Facebook to view it: https://www.facebook.com/projectrunway/videos/vb.104812021201/10153692038491202/?type=2&theater

Hate to say this but this is starting to smell like a publicity ploy.

This reeks of producer manipulation.  I really Swapnil and I like his stuff.  Especially this....http://weddingsutra.com/blog/wp-content/swarovski1.jpg

The skirt on the right is one of his designs and I'm a little obsessed with it.  But he truly makes beautiful clothing.

Edited by RCharter

RCharter, it looks like you just posted a spoiler, probably without even meaning to.  Unless I'm interpreting your comment incorrectly.

99 cent store makeup boutique

How about the Cody powder boutique?  Come on, who's mom didn't have the orange box of Cody powder in the bathroom?

• Love 1

We are maybe two seasons away from the "White Rain hair salon," the "99 cent store makeup boutique," and the "Walmart Accessory Wall"

And maybe three seasons from the models just doing their own makeup and walking barefoot down the runway.

And perhaps four seasons from them just picking really skinny drug addicts off the street to model clothes because no one wants to pay models.

That's already been the case all along. According the the model interviewed in this article, models get paid zilch (and only do it for the free publicity).

RCharter, it looks like you just posted a spoiler, probably without even meaning to.  Unless I'm interpreting your comment incorrectly.

How about the Cody powder boutique?  Come on, who's mom didn't have the orange box of Cody powder in the bathroom?

I didn't post any real spoilers since I haven't seen the episode yet.  However, I did speculate and tried to cover it with a spoiler button, but I failed.  I thought I deleted any speculation though?  My comment is just generally about Swapnil and the fact that I like his stuff.  I actually know nothing and will likely watch the episode on the west coast later than everyone :)

Maybe the reference is to the EW interview with Tim Gunn, though the Project Runway's Facebook page gives away a lot more than your quote did, and before that we were speculating like mad at the possible reference.  I'm afraid that spoiler horse has escaped the barn and is running down the road.  Even if I hadn't known about EW or the video on Facebook, it wouldn't have been hard to figure out from the show's promo who was in trouble since Zak has been making his views known on the previous episode.  The question I have left is if the judges will address Tim's recommendation (does this show have that kind of courage?) and will that result in an unexpected expulsion this week?  And if they don't go along with Tim's advice, is that going to make him a crankypants for the rest of the series?  It seems sad that our focus is forced away from innovative design (lost that some time ago) and placed on personalities.  This is feeling like "Under the Gunn"  all over again.

Thats my bad -- sorry :(

Personally -- I think its going to go down in a very "storybook" like fashion with tough love saving the day.

This is UTG all over again.  I am always wanting to love Tim again, but after UTG he just seems to have become insufferable.  I wish he would just take a breather so I could remember him as that funny guy that laughed at Santino's impression of him, and told all the designers to "holla at your boy"  He has just seemed miserable the past few years.  He must have tons of money from PR and all his related ventures, maybe he should take a vacation.  Visit Jamaica and get his groove back.

• Love 1