Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Us Against the World

Bellamy and Sheriff Fred form an uneasy alliance to solve Dale's murder, and to track down a suspicious Caleb after he goes on the run; when Jacob suffers a seizure, Maggie takes him to the clinic for a checkup and is shocked by her findings.

Original airdate: March 30, 2014

They're making Elaine dumber by the day.  The supposedly mentally ill or deficient Ray has more sense than she does.

It's really annoying when something spectacular such as people returning from the dead is supposed to be happening in a show and none of the characters show any shock, surprise, or curiosity at all.  They just immediately accept it as the new normal and do almost nothing to find out what's going on.  Tom's wife seemed more surprised that he used to have a girlfriend (gasp!) than that the girlfriend had died and come back.  Anyway that marriage probably has an expiration date on it now.

I still really don't get why Jacob's mom is so mad at Jacob's dad either.  He was just being honest.  She's the one who's being delusional IMO.

Caleb seemed to blame Elaine for ratting him out even though it was really Jacob.  Wonder if he will come try to kill her?  Wonder if he will have some way to escape?

The whole show is bizarre! They haven't called in anyone to try to figure out this phenomenon? Just Martin….he will do it all himself?

I thought they were going to start shooting Caleb and the bullets were going to go right through him without anything happening. It's just moving too slow with no answers. Are they just going to bring back a dead person each week, but never do anything about it??

I think the reason why they havent called anyone in is because they are afraid it will leak and will cause panic all over the country. They want to keep it to themselves since they are a small town and they all pretty much seem to know each other.

They know each other's secrets but they refuse to tell. It is that sort of town.

I do love this show. One of the very few new shows worth watching.

• Love 3

Am I the only one that thought it was weird that 3 kids would climb up on the 2nd floor of a house just to shine a flashlight on Jacob to see what he looks like ?  He's been in public multiple times at the park, and once in church -- why would they even bother, other than for the writers to drum up an excuse for some sort of stressful event to trigger a seizure.

Plus, Henry was awake and up and about -- how come he didn't hear the kids outside (because one thing teenagers can't do is keep quiet) let alone climbing up the side of the house. Why weren't there any noises made by the kids until right before they shone the light on Jacob -- pretty sure they aren't ninjas ?  Plus those are some rather spindly looking treetops outside Jacob's window, so how did any one of them get up there without falling and killing themselves ?

You know that the first thing those 3 teenagers did when they got home was tweet/text/facebook about the fact they had just seen a kid that had come back from the dead.  There's no way this isn't going to be CNN Breaking News/Inside Edition/National Enquirer material anytime soon (remember back in Men in Black 1 when K called the tabloids the 'hot sheets' as they were the "Best investigative reporting on the planet".

Rachel's excuse for killing herself was pretty flimsy -- despite the fact that apparently Pastor Tom and Rachel were in love, that he had proposed and she had accepted but her solution was a suicidal runaway bride scenario.  She even states that didn't plan on killing herself, but she decided to end it because Tom believed in her and she didn't feel the same way, and the opportunity to drive off the bridge was just way to tempting and would satiate her overwhelming sense of disappointment in herself. Pretty weak-ass Rachel.

Tom tells his wife about Rachel, but he neglects to tell her that he was engaged to Rachel (he did put a ring on it, to reference Beyonce).

• Love 1
(edited)

It's really annoying when something spectacular such as people returning from the dead is supposed to be happening in a show and none of the characters show any shock, surprise, or curiosity at all.  They just immediately accept it as the new normal and do almost nothing to find out what's going on.  Tom's wife seemed more surprised that he used to have a girlfriend (gasp!) than that the girlfriend had died and come back.  Anyway that marriage probably has an expiration date on it now.

I think the series is trying to show a range of reactions but maybe should spend more time on this aspect. There was the group in the church that wanted to stop Jacob's family from attending and the parents in the park that took their kids home. I don't remember most of the characters names (not a good sign), but I think some of the closest people to the returnees (mother of Jacob, daughter of Caleb) know something is off but want their family members back so much they don't want to question it too closely. Seeing more of that struggle and exploring the reactions of the people in the town more would be a good thing. The pastor's initial reaction to Jacob returning had some potential but now that his ex is back, that storyline appears to be heading in a predictable and uninteresting direction. What would be interesting is if the doctor's (again with the lack of names) mother returned. So far she has been pretty level headed and questioning/investigating the returns but might have a different reaction if her own mother were to appear.

It's just moving too slow with no answers. Are they just going to bring back a dead person each week, but never do anything about it??

Having 'Under The Dome' flash backs and I bailed out on that one.

I agree it's moving too slowly. It's not in Under the Dome territory for me quite yet. I was willing to stick with that one while it was a miniseries because I wanted to see how they wrapped it up, but also bailed when it was announced there would be another season. I'll probably stick with this one to see how the season plays out.

Edited by Endeavour
(edited)

I still really don't get why Jacob's mom is so mad at Jacob's dad either. He was just being honest. She's the one who's being delusional IMO.

In my many years on this planet, I have observed that the delusional are often the quickest to anger when their delusions are challanged.

The whole show is bizarre! They haven't called in anyone to try to figure out this phenomenon? Just Martin….he will do it all himself?

To me, the bigger mystery is that Martin is still there. When was the last time we saw him even phone home?

Like others said on the TWoP (RIP) thread, most of the world is going to assume any tweets or videos about the event are hoaxes.

OT: I like the quote features on this board--very much like the SyFy boards.

Edited by shapeshifter

This episode was boring.

Caleb robbed a bank. Yeah, he totally did. How? He snuck into the bank a couple episodes ago and used his dumbass daughter's computer. Supposedly that allowed him to see when the truck was coming. Plus I believe that he also took off on Ray's bike. What a fucknut. I hope Ray kicks his ass.

Rachel is back. Who cares? What a waste. DGAF. Pastor Tom was good without her and his wife is another non-entity that I do not care to know more about. Their marriage will end, blah blah blah. He will get back with Rachel...blah blah blah.

I think that the river is cursed or has some supernatural power. So far everyone that has died has done so in or near the river. I wish Barbara (Dr. Maggie's mom) would come back already. If she doesn't come back, I will be highly disappointed. Her character had a huge build up in the first two episodes and honestly, I'd rather have seen how her return would have panned out vs. the past two episodes of Caleb & Co and now Rachel.

(edited)

Having 'Under The Dome' flash backs and I bailed out on that one.

When Jacob had a seizure after staring at the stars on his bedroom ceiling, I was like......oh crud....but at least the stars weren't pink and the seizures were something pre-resurrection and therefore probably not magical.

I didn't quite understand what Caleb said after he was found at the factory.....did he say Elaine's name or something else after the "us against the world" part?

I hope Caleb making no attempt to cover his tracks after hammering his ex-accomplice or to fill all the holes back in and then pretty much exactly repeating his previous crime is some plot point, otherwise he's like the worst undead criminal evah.

Elaine does seem too stupid to live, but at least there's some evidence that maybe pre-dead Caleb was not as sinister as resurrected Caleb.

I don't think we really got an explanation about Rachel's suicide. My impression was that she did something she was ashamed of.....drug addict?.....that hasn't been explained yet that prompted the suicide, though she coukd have suffered from some sort of depression or mental illness or something.

So far Rachel turned up in a corn field and Caleb in a rice paddy.....wonder if they all came back in some sort of farm setting.

Edited by Joystickenvy

I want to put this show and the new show "Believe" into a jar and shake it and mix them up together, so that "Resurrection" gets some of "Believe's" high energy and "Believe" calms down a bit now and then. Pacing may not be "all," in a book or film, but it's a lot, and this show suffers from too much of one kind, the slow kind, in my opinion. I think casting Omar Epps as the lead is part of the problem, because he's so (relatively) inexpressive and imperturbable, just as he was on "House." I wouldn't mind seeing some PANIC, because dead people coming back!!! Doesn't anybody in that town watch "The Walking Dead"?!

Also, would you eagerly embrace and kiss a returnee? There's a bit of ew for me when that happens.

Also, would you eagerly embrace and kiss a returnee? There's a bit of ew for me when that happens.

I think that's my biggest beef with this show; they don't have a single character reacting the way a normal person would react. 

• Love 1

What bugs me is the lack of reaction from the cops.  Sure it's a small town but it's not Mayberry.  Judging from the size of the sheriff department I'd guestimate the town being around 25,000 people.  I get why the sheriff wouldn't be all hasty to call the FBI, CIA, Ghostbusters or whatever but someone in the department damn sure would call someone.  Also is it ok for a Custom and Immigration agent to ride shotgun to apprehend a murder suspect?

Oh yeah and when Ray called the cops on Caleb and they all showed up with the sirens blaring, Ray just walked outside and told them Caleb was gone.  Of course the believed him 100% and didn't even bother to check the house or garage or nothing.

Can Jacob only sense Caleb or will his spider senses tingle whenever he gets around a returnee?  

I give most of these characters a huge pass with their reactions to a loved one coming back from the dead because....well....have no clue how I would react but they really dropped the ball with Tom and Rachel.  I wanted Tom to have more anger that she had killed herself.  Ripped her a new one for it.  He let her off way too easy.  I also thought his wife came across as a tad bitchy about it.  She said something like, "Well, you know what you have to do."  Not really hun because this happens to be my very first ex that has ever returned from the dead.

• Love 2
(edited)

Elaine does seem too stupid to live, but at least there's some evidence that maybe pre-dead Caleb was not as sinister as resurrected Caleb.

The only thing that would make sense to me at this point is if the resurrected are versions of their former selves that are obsessively driven and that are each able to bond with one person from their past and exert influence over that person. Edited by shapeshifter