Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E07: Brian & Coral

Brian is the president of his condo HOA. He sets the rules of upkeep for tenants but his life contradicts his work as he lives in a hoard that would force any other tenant to be evicted. Coral has to choose between keeping her hoard or rekindling a romance with a long lost love.

WTH!  Another Ohio hoard and this one close to my area.  It is a rather affluent area.  This is 5 or 6 in Ohio this season.  

Why is Coral wanting back in that trailer, she could buy a new or used one and put it on her property.  How could she not tell her boyfriend about her hoard before he moved to be with her.  

At least both were using the therapy after care though I am thinking Coral will hoard again.  Don't have high hopes for Brian either but maybe with his family keeping up with him he will. 

(edited)

That was an epic meltdown from Coral, complete with flailing fists to the head. Part of me thinks she's clearly mentally ill; another part says she's pathologically lazy and narcissistic. I guess it's both.

I feel terrible for her son. She's obviously FUBAR'd him good, and yet he's still a caring person. It amazes me what the human spirit can withstand.

DB in CMH that's a good call. I didn't pick up on Brian being gay, but you may well be right. It could explain a lot.

So is HOA President an elected position and shouldn't he expect to lose it very soon?

Edited by Gbb
  • Love 3
(edited)

For the first time in a long time of watching these shows, I didn't think the two hoarders were complete a-holes.  Yes, both are hoarders and have acted very selfishly during both of their children's childhoods, but I think at heart, both always wanted better for their kids, but for whatever reason couldn't do it.  I was totally getting the gay vibe from Brian, which surprised me that they didn't discuss.  I almost got the child predator vibe  from Dallas, but I had to keep telling myself to stop being so cynical because some people are just good people and not child molesters ....I hope that is really true.

Other random thoughts...I thought it was interesting that Coral's son and daughter both had the same body types even though they grew up in different households - yes I know they are biologically related and we don't know how the daughter grew up, but sometimes adoptive parents are more watchful on their kids and their diets, so I was surprised she ended up being big too.  Also, I was really hoping that they were going to say that Coral got a new trailer. She could probably have picked up a new (or refurbished) small single wide for less than $50k.  I don't remember if they said she was working or not, but if not, she might have been able to mortgage her land to finance a new trailer (I assume she owned the land as it didn't appear that she lived in a park, but I could be wrong).  Trailers don't last forever, hoarder or not.

Edited by notyrmomma

Coral was not going to buy a new trailer as she does not work and had no money to buy one. This is why she had no where else to live and has to live there. She has no money and no job. Doesnt sound like the boyfriend does either as they are living with friends and he wanted to move into her place. Boy when his plan didn't quite work. He has no where to live either- does not sound like he has any money either. She was a little too dramatic with the heaving sobs.

The other hoarder was SO checked out! It's like he was on tranquilizers!

• Love 3

Coral was not going to buy a new trailer as she does not work and had no money to buy one. This is why she had no where else to live and has to live there. She has no money and no job. Doesnt sound like the boyfriend does either as they are living with friends and he wanted to move into her place. Boy when his plan didn't quite work. He has no where to live either- does not sound like he has any money either. She was a little too dramatic with the heaving sobs

You are right.  It is so depressing when you see two grown adults - one with a college degree, without two nickels to rub together.  God help me from such a fate!

Off topic, but did anyone see that show that followed Hoarders - Living with the Enemy?  I want to talk about it, but didn't see a topic in the Forums section.  Anyone know how to make or suggest a topic?

You are right.  It is so depressing when you see two grown adults - one with a college degree, without two nickels to rub together.  God help me from such a fate!

Off topic, but did anyone see that show that followed Hoarders - Living with the Enemy?  I want to talk about it, but didn't see a topic in the Forums section.  Anyone know how to make or suggest a topic?

I started a topic in the "Specials, TV Movies & Other One-Offs"

I kept waiting for 'I'm Gay' to come out.

Me too. Dr. Melva said at one point, early on, that Brian was living with a lot of secrets. Maybe they edited out? He declined to come out? There is no way that man is straight. Zero. I'm betting that a really good deal of his hoarding issues stem from that, and and overbearing mother. Interesting that Brian's son declined to participate.

• Love 3

WTH!  Another Ohio hoard and this one close to my area.  It is a rather affluent area.  This is 5 or 6 in Ohio this season.  

I know, right? I'm starting to get a complex, or something.

I REALLY liked how Coral's son responded when he was asked if he had anything to say to her. To the point, no fuss..."Mom, you fucked up." End of story.

• Love 4

I started a topic in the "Specials, TV Movies & Other One-Offs"

I completely missed a topic under Specials... because there wasn't a forum, so I figured it would be under its subject in the genre topic.

Things can really get lost in Specials.

She was a little too dramatic with the heaving sobs.

Not for me. I was hospitalized for stress once upon a time, and my efforts to talk were exactly, exactly like that. When she fell into that word/gasp/word/gasp pattern, my heart went right out to her. Maybe I'm a Pollyanna, but I don't think the average person could fake that so well.

• Love 4

Anyone else find the color tones of this show to be bizarrely off? Last couple episodes, some of the complexions were absolutely yellow - they looked like jaundice victims. In one ep, Dr. Zasio's face was a baby-powder white mask atop a tanned throat. In this one, Dr. Green face was actually green!

Not my TV, because it's noticeable only on HFS - not on Hoarders, Original Flavor, or any other show. It's like their lighting and makeup people are visiting from a sci-fi series.

• Love 2

What happened at the end with Coral? I was watching online at the Lifetime site, and it cut off right when Coral's son justifiably went off on her when she whined about everyone letting her down. I hope he told her to stuff it and left. I really felt for him when he said you wouldn't clean up for me but you would for this boyfriend. Where was she going to live?

Yeah, I got "closeted" the minute I saw Brian.

• Love 1

Not for me. I was hospitalized for stress once upon a time, and my efforts to talk were exactly, exactly like that. When she fell into that word/gasp/word/gasp pattern, my heart went right out to her. Maybe I'm a Pollyanna, but I don't think the average person could fake that so well.

I've actually cried that way myself, so I'm pretty sure it's real. It's when you do a really hard cry and try to talk at the same time. She sounded exactly like I have doing that kind of crying. It really hurt to see her do that.

• Love 1

I've actually cried that way myself, so I'm pretty sure it's real. It's when you do a really hard cry and try to talk at the same time. She sounded exactly like I have doing that kind of crying. It really hurt to see her do that.

Me too.  I actually teared up a little watching that.

I got the gay vibe from Brian right off the bat.  And the way they said his marriage just sort of disintegrated without offering any kind of an explanation pretty much confirmed it for me.  I have a married friend who is going through a similar situation so at first I thought it was just me, because that family has been on my mind, but I see that others here got the same vibe.  I thought Dr. Green pretty much implied it without coming right out and stating it when she said this family has been holding a lot of secrets.  Maybe they just didn't want to make an issue of that and let people draw their own conclusions.  Brian was one of the most sympathy-provoking hoarders I've seen in awhile.  I can totally see how dealing with that situation and losing his marriage and family could contribute to his hoarding problem.  His wife and daughter seemed very sweet and supportive.  Even his overbearing mom seemed to have a good heart.  I only hope the reason his son refused to participate is that he didn't want to appear on a reality show and that he is supportive as well.

• Love 2

I must have heard wrong.   I thought Coral said she worked 2 jobs?

That boyfriend had a lot of nerve.   He thought he was just going to use her place as a flop house, but there was no where to flop.   Beggars can't be choosers, you bum.   He was more outraged for himself than for her.   What a user.

You can easily get a new doublewide  trailer for 50k,  and a very decent used  singlewide one for no more than 10k.    Probably her only option if she owns the land is to sell, since she likely has no money for a replacement trailer. 

• Love 4
(edited)

My gaydar went off the moment I saw Brian.
I wonder what the condo neighbors thought when this hissy, probably-controlling HOA president had junk trucks arrive and tons of clutter spread all over their common property. S-w-e-e-e-t. I bet he had to tell them of the problem.
I’m glad it was Dr. Green. Every time Zasio is on I want to throw something at the TV set. I like Matt but the male hoarders always seem to get pissed at him. It was good to see both hoarders in the epi be on board with the efforts and actually help. 
I too was creeped out by Coral’s BF. Why can’t both of them work? (I bet there’s at least one “disability” claim in there.)  Why is she so attached to that piece-of-junk trailer?  Clearly she has mental issues, and if I were her family I’d rather see her move into senior housing.  But, unfortunately, she’s not the only senior I’ve seen who refuses to leave. I think her church is enabling her by “fixing up” that piece of cr@p.

Edited by Tuneful

Holy cow. She looks a lot older than that, the BF (did they mention HS sweethearts?) even more so.

I'm skeptical that place can be made livable, and acceptable in terms of city codes, but good luck with that project--and to the friends who are having them live in for however long.

I just purchased a single-wide.  Double-wides aren't cheap.  Neither are newer single-wides, depending on manufacturer, size, and features.

Mine is an older one (late 70's model) and I paid $13,500.  It has had upgrades, and was in very nice shape, and is parked in a nice park.  I know some people are desperate to get them off their property, and they can be had for dirt cheap (ie: $2000) but they have to be moved, set, and then hooked up, and that can run upwards of $10,000 - depending on a number of factors.

There is a brand new double-wide that was just set at the park we live in.  It's for sale at $88,000.  It's beautiful.