Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, tv echo said:

Funny compilation of video clips where SA and Jared/Jensen (Supernatural) joke about and prank each other...

J2 and Stephen Amell
Published on Jun 29, 2017, by Supernatural Conventions

I don't even watch Supernatural but this is hilarious.  

• Love 5

Just added to HVFF-Nashville...

All guests now - Stephen Amell, David Ramsey, Willa Holland, Echo Kellum, John Barrowman, Katrina Law, Madison McLaughlin and Michael
Rowe (also Melissa Benoist, Caity Lotz and Robbie Amell)

Okay, real talk to my fellow brown haired people. Some brown hairs look good as blondes. Sadly, many of us do not. Please note your skin tone and hair type, and don't make decisions you will regret. 

• Love 13
(edited)

MB at MCM Belfast Comic Con on June 25...

Manu Bennett Interview
Published on Jun 25, 2017, by Kevin's Videos

-- On what has been his most fun/challenging scenes that he's done as Slade on Arrow so far, MB: "Uh, I think the comeback at the end of Season 5 has been really wonderful. You know, it's returned Slade back to the, uh, relationship with Oliver, with the no mirakuru involved stuff. So you know the crazy's stuff gone, so we're back to business as usual, you know, which is nice. It's a nice way to sort of get back to that origin part of the relationship. And, you know, the fans want more and who knows what Season 6 holds."

Manu Bennett Belfast Comic Con Part 1
Published on Jun 27, 2017, by xForeverLost10x

-- Man, MB has a really tragic back story. He said that he didn't become an actor to become a Hollywood star. He became an actor because he lost his mother and brother in two separate car accidents when he was 15, 16 years old. His brother died in his arms. His mother died in the seat next to him when they were hit by a drunk driver. MB (who played Crixus): "[Spartacus] was the very first chance I ever had to really explore what it is to have the possibility to show yourself through an artistic medium."

-- In playing Crixus on Spartacus, MB referred to a childhood experience. He told a personal anecdote about a guy in high school who hated him. Back then, MB was into break dancing and this guy was into heavy metal. This guy was angry and used to come up to MB and give him grief all the time. But when MB was in the car accident with his mother, he was in the hospital with a coma for two weeks. When he woke up from his coma, this guy was standing beside his hospital bed. He later found out that this guy's mother had died when he was young and when he found out that MB, "his worst enemy", was in a hospital fighting for his life and that MB's mother had died, he felt compelled to go to the hospital and stand beside his bed until he woke up. MB: "Because we were linked by hardship, we were linked by something now - we were linked by loss. I was the best man at his wedding. And he's now one of my best friends." MB said that "that was a legacy for me" that he tried to bring through in the relationship between Crixus and Spartacus. The producer asked him what he was doing because no one liked Crixus and everyone wanted him to die.  MB also said that he and Andy Whitfield weren't close when they started together because they were each so committed to their roles and he said that one of the saddest things about losing Andy (who passed after S1 of Spartacus) was that they "never got to complete their journey" and he was sure that they would've become like brothers in real life if they had been able to complete that journey.

-- Per MB, Spartacus was "the birth of my career." That led to working with Peter Jackon on The Hobbit (he played Azog), which led to Arrow.  MB said that Azog was created in the digital world, and that he didn't meet Richard Armitage until the premiere.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Here's another fan's videos of SA's panel at May 28th HVFF-London, which has better audio than what was previously posted. So here's my more accurate/complete transcriptions of portions I had previously transcribed (but now without unintelligible words)...

-- Fan: "Season 4, you became the magical Green Arrow, do you reckon that was the greatest thing?" SA: "You know, we tried magic on the show, and you have to try things on the show. We're going to try things in Season 6. They're going to work. We're going to try things in Season 6 that aren't going to work. I think that ultimately - I was reading a review about Season 4 of Arrow. And there were lots of parts of Season 4 that I really love, uh, that people didn't like. Lots of parts of Season - every season - that I love that people don't like. And there are parts that I dislike that people enjoy, which is part of viewing a television show. But I read something online from a reviewer that I really respect and he said, 'you know, it feels like the most Arrow part of Arrow Season 4 happened on an episode of Legends of Tomorrow when they showed Old Oliver.' And I read it and I went, 'Shit! He might be right.' So I just thought that - uh, cause I loved having Neal McDonough on the show and would have him back in a second - but I thought that, you know, leaning back into some of the stuff that we knew on the show, that have cultivated over, you know, the first three seasons and also the fourth season was the better way to go."

-- After EBR refuses to sit on a chair because she's wearing a short skirt, SA: "Emily has the best idea. ‘Cause we're standing in photo ops. She's like, 'Can I pick you up?' 'Nope, wearing a skirt.' 'Want to sit down?' 'Uh-uh, wearing a skirt.' 'Gonna stay long?' 'Nope, wearing a skirt.'" EBR: "Well, the option is to stand. So, I've been standing for years now. Doing it well." SA: "Emily, on behalf of this entire room, welcome to London. We're very happy that you came." (Audience loudly cheers and applauds)

-- EBR: "I always remember fondly when we first - when the universe first introduced the Flash as its own show, because that was just like a big change from sort of where we were going, or where we thought we were going. And it just gave us a new bookmark, a new chapter... it's been awesome." SA: "I like the quieter moments on the show. Like, Emily and I had a lot of fun this year shooting, uh, the episode where we're trapped in the bunker." EBR: "I remember it fondly." SA: "The only part about that that wasn't fun is that we filmed that episode right around the time that I shot American Ninja Warrior. And I kept having to - with my really, really, really hurt arm - I kept having to just pick Emily up off the ground." EBR: "And I couldn't help because I couldn't use my legs. So it's just deadweight. And he's injured." SA: "Yeah. It was good, though." EBR: "Climbing ladders and things." SA: "That was fun. Climbing ladders, it was just like - it was always going to be something. But that episode was a lot of fun to shoot. I like when we have the - in general, I like when we have the quieter moments because we've all done action scenes and, you know, Emily's relaying coordinates in the field and, like, been in the field a thousand times. But it's when you stumble into an episode and you find the three-and-a-half page scene that's just a scene between two people talking, that's really exciting. I like that."

-- Fan: "So we know that you and Emily do a lot of improv. And Marc did release the script for the 520 scene - the salmon ladder scene. So I wanted to know, how did it go? Because it's nothing like what you shot. So I just wanted to know, did Emily and you just came up with something better, and everyone just went with it? Just how - how did it got decided?" SA: "No. I mean, I was - I was explaining it - if you come by my table later, you will see a very, very awful drawing of a tree, which was - I was trying to use as an analogy. But the script is like a tree. And you don't want to poke a hole in the tree. But you can add additional stuff around it, that they can take or they can leave. Right? So, a lot of the things that happen on the show that are ad libs are not recreating lines. But a lot of times that stuff is written, it's written like speeches and not like conversation. Which I think is a - is a commonality through all of television and film. And just occasionally, it's - it's honest and truthful to react to something. And they can take that reaction, or they can leave it. You know what I mean? So Emily and I just had fun with that scene. And, um, I'm sure there was a version that was very close to what exactly was on the page. And we leave it up to the director and the editors and producers to pick the moments that they like. You know? Sometimes they do. More often than not they don't, and it more closely resembles what we saw on the page." Fan then said the whole episode and scene was great. SA: "Oh, thank you, thank you. I like playing red wine drunk Oliver." JS: "Yeah, that's a good Oliver."

-- When asked if he thought Earth 2 Oliver would've treated Laurel better than Earth 1 Oliver, SA: "I think that everything is different for Oliver if he doesn't get on the boat. You know what I mean? Everything is different. And, uh, you know, there was obviously - there's obviously a version there - you know, there's an Earth where, you know, it's Oliver and Lance Laurel forever. Uh, but I think that, you know, Queen's Gambit, Sara, a variety of other things, um, almost all his faults - sorry, that's wrong - all his faults, um, you know, made it so it wasn't meant to be." 

-- When asked if he got to see each episode before it airs, SA: "That's a great question. I watch the network cut. The network cut tends to be somewhere in the area of 45 second - 45 seconds to a minute longer than what you guys see. So they'll take - they'll pull a minute out of that. And generally, that's not by taking out a scene. That's more - they sort of pluck the air out of things where you condense something. Uh, but the network cut is the equivalent - you remember that trend of people who were taking selfies of themselves first thing in the morning with no makeup on? That's what the network cut is like. If you like the network cut, you're gonna love the episode. Because it's not color corrected, the sound mix is not done, it used a temporary score in it, and it has temporary visual effects. So you really have to focus in on the performance and the story, because all the other bells and whistles aren't there. I watch that episode, because that episode, to me, is the proper litmus test of, are the performances on point, do I like the story, and do I have - and also, at that point too, if I have a note, or if I find a glaring omission, I can pass it on. So I watch that one."

Heroes & Villains Stephen Amell Panel Part 1
Published on May 30, 2017, by xForeverLost10x
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5SwWzH_HfE

Heroes & Villains Stephen Amell Panel Part 2
Published on May 30, 2017, by xForeverLost10x
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfMOZgPgdQU

Heroes & Villains Stephen Amell Panel Part 3
Published on Jul 1, 2017, by xForeverLost10x
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyFeM8d_zxU

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

Wonder if DR's getting some last-minute shadowing in for directing from Bam before getting his episode started, maybe his episode is 602? I'd imagine they'd want to get DR to direct an earlier episode rather than a later one.

• Love 7

She's 0 for 2 as far as HVFFs are concerned. She cancelled last minute for the one in London in May. Last year she attended one con in Chicago, but cancelled on Emerald City Comic Con.

33 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I don't follow her appearances. How many times is it that she's cancelled?

I think she's only accepted going to two and she hasn't made either of them. The first one she canceled on was London.

That doesn't look good. If it were something like she attended ten and then had to cancel two, it would look different. 

The lesson I see here is don't attend out of town cons. It's good from HVFF that they'll do automatic refunds on their part, but that doesn't solve the costs of travel and stay for out of towners.

(edited)

Next weekend's comic cons (updated, with schedules)...

Heroes & Villains FanFest-Nashville, July 8-9, 2017 (Nashville, TN)
Stephen Amell, David Ramsey, Willa Holland, Echo Kellum, John Barrowman, Katrina Law, Madison McLaughlin and Michael Rowe (also Caity Lotz)
http://heroesfanfest.com/nashville/guests/
Schedule & Events

HVFF-Nashville: Saturday 
10:45 AM  John Barrowman
1:30 PM  THE GREEN ARROW: Stephen Amell

HVFF-Nashville: Sunday 
10:45 AM  ARROW: David Ramsey, Willa Holland, Katrina Law, Caity Lotz, Echo Kellum

Indy PopCon, July 7-9, 2017 (Indianapolis, IN)
Matt Ryan
https://indypopcon.com/celebrities-and-special-guests/
Schedule (Sat. - MR vip private panel at 1:00pm and MR fan panel at 3:00pm)

Shore Leave 39, July 7-9, 2017 (Hunt Valley, MD)
Mike Dopud
https://www.shore-leave.com/guests/
Schedule (MD at 9:00pm on Fri. and at 12pm on Sun.)

Edited by tv echo
13 hours ago, lemotomato said:

She's 0 for 2 as far as HVFFs are concerned. She cancelled last minute for the one in London in May. Last year she attended one con in Chicago, but cancelled on Emerald City Comic Con.

I can believe she really did have a work thing this time since filming is starting up.  Last time the reasons were a little more obscure but wasn't it around the time when there had been some terrorist attacks in London?  I remember thinking I could understand if she got spooked and wanted to stay home, but if this moves to a third strike situation, yeah, I'll start side eyeing her commitment skills hard.   

5 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Wow, really do not lile that white blonde look okm Colton. Hopefully it didn't damage his hair too much ?

Isn't he filming AHS right now? Maybe it's for the show. That series has a ton of whacky characters. 

1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Wow, really do not lile that white blonde look on Colton. Hopefully it didn't damage his hair too much ?

I hate it a lot. I prefer EBR's nose ring, that's how much I don't like it. 

• Love 7

Can I say something really rude (I cannot believe I am that person): I hate when it couples wear the same clothes. I know some people think it is cute and fun and lovely but it just bugs me for no reason. If it is Halloween or you are with a child, I don't care but otherwise I really don't like it. Which is stupid but I just cannot help it.

Anyway, EBR eyebrows are really dark.

• Love 4
(edited)

From June 25 (mostly non-Arrow stuff, so only a few parts transcribed below)...

Manu Bennett Belfast Comic Con Part 2
Published on Jul 5, 2017, by xForeverLost10x

-- MB taught some fans how to do the "haka" (war dance).

-- MB told a story about how a special forces guy and an energy drink helped him audition for Arrow. He was in Kuwait, seeing the military forces, who really liked the show Spartacus. When there, he asked to see the guy who'd seen the most action and asked that guy to show him something that most people don't see. This special forces guy put him in a chokehold, and MB felt like he was losing consciousness so he grabbed the guy by his nuts. The guy let him go and told him it was a good move. MB: "When he first put me in a headlock, he said, 'just relax, kid.'" MB hung out with that guy, Mike, for three days when he was in Kuwait and they became friends. When Mike saw him to the airport to return to New Zealand, MB was really jet lagged from traveling, so Mike gave him this 8-hour energy drink that the special forces guys drank to keep them awake. MB then said that he was in L.A. for two days and was about to leave for the airport to return home when he got a call from his manager to go read for a role on Arrow. MB: "I knew Arrow because Stephen Amell was one of the three actors who tried out to replace Andy Whitfield. And I had met Stephen Amell in Auckland when he came out to try out for the role. He didn't get it. Liam McIntyre did. But I'd seen a billboard of Stephen... It was kinda interesting that I was getting called in for the show, but I had really, really, really bad jet lag." So on the way to the airport, MB was feeling very jet lagged so he remembered that Mike gave him the energy drink, so he took it out and drank it. MB: "And I swear to you, when I auditioned [for Arrow], I was on mirakuru. Without a doubt. Without a doubt." He said that there were like 50 guys auditioning for the same part, some bigger than him, some better than him. They were all walking around, speaking the lines. He got the script, felt the energy drink about the kick in. In the audition scene, the role wasn't called Slade Wilson, but MB didn't remember what it was called but, for the sake of the story, called him "Peter." In this scene, Oliver walks into the plane on the island, and Peter drops from the ceiling behind Oliver and grabs him in a chokehold. In the script, Peter says,"Kid, you got 10 seconds to tell me something I believe or I'm gonna cut out your throat box." End of scene. Other guys were reading this scene very loud and aggressively. Instead, when David Rapaport told him to read, MB actually grabbed the reader in a chokehold and whispered "You got 10 seconds to tell me something I believe, kid, or I'm gonna cut out your throat box." He said that he was remembering the special forces guy he had met in Kuwait. Then the reader fell unconscious onto the floor. MB asked Rapaport if that was part of the audition, and Rapaport told him that, no, he just choked the reader into unconsciousness. So MB was standing there wondering if he'd ever get an audition in America again. MB apologized and told Rapaport about trying to copy the chokehold that he had just learned from a special forces guy in Kuwait. Rapaport said it was "pefect." So that's how he got the role of Slade Wilson on Arrow. He said that "life is full of coincidences."

-- The next day, MB was in New Zealand at The Hobbit premiere. Then he woke up the next morning and got a phone call saying that he had to fly to Vancouver that day. His manager called and told him that Variety or some entertainment magazine had announced that he got cast in the role. So while standing in the customs line in Canada to get his working papers, MB looked it up on his phone and it said, "Manu Bennett cast as Slade Wilson." MB thought they made a mistake because he didn't read for "Slade Wilson" but for some other name. The guy behind the customs desk at Vancouver airport said, "Are you playing Slade Wilson?" When MB said yeah, the customs guy said,"Aw, man, that's Deathstroke! He's like badass!" MB: "And that's the first time I ever heard the word 'Deathstroke' or 'Slade Wilson.' I had no idea who they were." Then when he got to the Arrow production office, they told him that, yeah, he had been cast in this role but they didn't want to tell anybody or let any word out about it.

-- MB: "But you know what? It was a journey with Stephen Amell, who set up the genesis of that show. The kind of journey for me that [unintelligible words] halfway through 3, 4, and now I'm back again to 5. And it's gonna be interesting what happens in the next season, kid. (laughs) It's gonna be really interesting."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, tv echo said:

-- MB told a story about how a special forces guy and an energy drink helped him audition for Arrow. He was in Kuwait, seeing the military forces, who really liked the show Spartacus. When there, he asked to see the guy who'd seen the most action and asked that guy to show him something that most people don't see.

That strikes me as so MB.  Get me the toughest guy you have.  I'm gonna learn from him.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't want the beard to go... This one I actually like. Juliana's blonde hair looks slightly greyish in places to me. Maybe my eyes just aren't what they used to be.

But DR is really, really handsome. 

Edited by Belinea
  • Love 3

Oh dear. That last JH pic really wasn't bad lighting then. Yikes. I'm so sorry but that hair looks terrible and doesn't suit her at all. Also why is it suddenly super straight? It was never styled that way before and looks too harsh.

Also petition to let DR keep that beard for Diggle. I like it. A lot! ;P

1 hour ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

That's already an unflattering shade on her..I doubt going lighter is going to help the situation..if they wanted the BC with blonde hair (unnecessary imo) they could have used a wig while she is in the costume..

It was her choice, she told people at Portland that she wanted to go Blonde to embrace the character.

Stupid choice IMO but she's the one that made it and, yes the EPs could have thrown a fit but, shows tend to lighten up in S6

6 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

It was her choice, she told people at Portland that she wanted to go Blonde to embrace the character.

So, we're to expect some nuanced acting and exploration of character, no?

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Who said that the ghost of Black Canary was haunting these actresses?  ?