Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

Anyone who watched all the footage would have seen how distressed that passenger was, not to mention brutally assaulted. Making jokes about that in my opinion not only trivialises what that corporation did to that man but is also distasteful and tacky. 

• Love 3

Have they announced 

Spoiler

Nick Tarabay's (boomerang) return yet?

If they haven't maybe that will be the next announcement.

Edited by JJ928
2 hours ago, kismet said:

But that's not really the wink emoji. It's the crazy stuck out tongue wink. I think its MG being tricksy. I'm gonna anticipate the sizzle reel. Casting is not interesting for him to get all excited over now, unless it's someone big, but why now? Any big guest would be a finale player and he said it's not about the finale.

The last thing he got excited about was KC returning as a regular next season so I'd say that announcing RG and JH as regulars in s6 might be it.  They certainly want to keep all the n00bs except the one I liked.  I wouldn't be surprised if they rehabbed Evelyn too.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they rehabbed Evelyn too.

Omg noooo not her she is the worst!!!! Her acting hurts my eyes!

I don't mind Dinah. I find Dinah less annoying than Curtis! Put her with Felicity and I might like her.  I'm a bit of a shameless Felicity tart they can probably use Felicity to sell me almost anyone. 

Let Tina continue to bond with the newbies and let us finally have Felicity & Thea become friends. Also, I'm kinda hoping we get to keep Alena, even if it's as a recurring character, I'd like her to be redeemed and stick around so FS has someone outside of team Arrow.

• Love 6

I think if they tone it down a bit with Curtis (like he was last year) he can be all right..the problem is he can't fight so it's pointless to have him on the field. If they make him invent equipment instead he could be more useful. If they keep the others in the background like it's been lately I don't have a problem with them even if not having them at all would still be my top choice, LOL. Also I wished they chose better actors (the only decent one imo was the guy that played Rory) but it's what it is..

• Love 2

The Noobs didn't bring an audience or inspire anything - but a small section of the fandom loves them - SO why not keep them all? - perfect Arrow-based logic.

I'm just hoping of no character rehabilitation arcs. I just don't find the way the writers write them on this show as compelling. Besides OQ, I can't think of any character that has had a quality good to bad arc. Even Dig's crucible was a snoozefest, although I love DR. MM became worse when they tried to make him better.

This is going to be the minority opinion, but I would rather have LL back on TA full-time if we could get rid of all the other noobs including Curtis. At least then I would only have one character to ignore, not a whole gang of useless. And as much as I was critical of her performances, it was entertaining to see just how bad it might get. The noobs just annoy me with their presence and cutting into OTA time.

I'd really honestly love if Anatoly got promoted. He's the only one I want to keep and he technically doesn't even count. In my mind, if you weren't on Arrow from s1 to s3 here are your parting thank you presents.

@JJ928 - who is Alena?

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, JJ928 said:

@kismet Alena is the one that recruited her to Helix.

Oh that one. I just call her Hacker girl with uglier glasses than FS or Kara. I wasn't gonna get invested in her name or any newbies name until they prove they will stay around. My prediction is Helix will be over by season's end. If I'm wrong, I'll learn their names.

7 hours ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

Actually I think they are treating her exactly like the rest of the newbies and nothing like the earlier masks..that's why I find not calling her the BC a bit weird. They introduced her and put her on the team in one episode..like the newbies there was no arc to make her into a hero. Roy was introduced as a person first, then he gradually got a role in the team and earned his place so in that instance I get waiting to give him a mask and then waiting to give him a code name.

She is already the BC in all but name. There's no journey for her to take to become an official member of the team, or to get the mask, or to get the Canary cry. It just seems weird to me to not use the name since the character is already fully developed.

Oh, I meant just with regards to the name. Otherwise, yeah, I agree with you, she got the insta hero treatment.

12 minutes ago, looptab said:

Oh, I meant just with regards to the name. Otherwise, yeah, I agree with you, she got the insta hero treatment.

Yeah, I get it..I just find it weird that since she is a insta hero she hasn't gotten her codename yet. I have to stop myself from thinking conspiracy theories because of who is coming back, hahaha

• Love 1

I thought Dinah had been given the Black Canary name.  Oliver wanted to and Quentin gave his blessing. And then Felicity gave her The Mask.

They just haven't called her that yet on the show. Or they may have but I wasn't paying enough attention.

So she has all the attributes that make up Black Canary- name, real canary cry- but they call her Catwoman or something? I feel it's highly unlikely. From what I've heard Juilana was told she would be made a regular if the audiences were receptive based on her performance this season, she's been made a regular now so chances are she's going to get the final piece of the official name and Laurel or Saras old costume. 

• Love 3

Well she is definitely getting Catwoman. That is a guaranteed NO.

Ironically, today was the first day that I watched the big TDD intro episode with Team Dumb & Dumber's road trip to Hub City. I needed some background noise while doing my taxes and was killing through some old tapes and stumbled upon it. Didn't even remember Arrow was on there.

And it wasn't bad, it just wasn't Arrow. It was cookie-cutter bad comic adaptation. It also disappointed me in that they were holding casting calls and resume searches for the replacement, and trying to find someone to live up to LL's high standard & legacy (to which I had to control my hysterical laughter). When I was like clearly if you had put even an ounce of this effort into the the first BC, perhaps we wouldn't have to devote a season to keeping her memory and finding a replacement. Also at one point they flashed a woman of Asian descent and I was well there is a missed opportunity, and it frustrated me. It would have been nice to get representation for another ethnicity. But they went the predictable nondescript white route - hey at least they let her have dark hair for now.

But now we have a cookie cutter badass female that is essentially like Cop girlfriend in s1 without the icky party friend backroom connection., has the perfect name and can take over the wooden mantle. And now with the new announcements we can look forward to GUNs, GUNs and more GUNs - the new Arrow way. Since Guns is now the weapon of choice for the fighting majority of TA. I think GA is the only trained fighter left. Guess it makes stunts easier now that BamBam will be busy with whatever job promotion he got handed out. I guess if you can't get recognition for fights & stunts, might as well join the GUNS are BEST brigade.

It would have been nice to get representation for another ethnicity. But they went the predictable nondescript white route - hey at least they let her have dark hair for now.

Actually, Juliana Harkavy is part Dominican, part African and part Chinese. 

Edited by shadow2008
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

Would be funny if they ended up giving her a different code name.

Why would they though? They've already given her the Black Canary name and we all know KC isn't here to stay so..

2 hours ago, kismet said:

But they went the predictable nondescript white route - hey at least they let her have dark hair for now.

How do we know this?

11 hours ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

I think if they tone it down a bit with Curtis (like he was last year) he can be all right..the problem is he can't fight so it's pointless to have him on the field. If they make him invent equipment instead he could be more useful. If they keep the others in the background like it's been lately I don't have a problem with them even if not having them at all would still be my top choice, LOL. Also I wished they chose better actors (the only decent one imo was the guy that played Rory) but it's what it is..

I think they are going to continue to play up his use of gadgets in the field but also keep letting him train as a hand to hand fighter until one day he's great at everything.  I hope they put off that part for a while since it's actually nice to have people with limitations in the field.  

1 hour ago, wonderwall said:

Why would they though? They've already given her the Black Canary name and we all know KC isn't here to stay so..

To throw people off like they like to do. Do we? Just like we all knew she was never coming back? 

The writers DC insist you can't have Green Arrow without Black Canary, they brought on Dinah Drake who is the realest of all the canaries with the right name a real Canary cry the right profession and an already welcomed respected member of the team, they had Oliver give her the feather in Black Canary Bachelor, they had Lance give her his blessing to be the Black Canary ergo Dinah IS Black Canary they are just waiting for a big reveal moment with her accepting the name entirely likely in the finale so they can bring the whole storyline full circle from Laurels begging for Oliver to make sure she is not the last Black Canary in the premiere. 

Marc already said on tumblr that Black Siren is not changing costumes, which is as good as saying she's not going to be Black Canary. She's the antagonist next season and more then likely the writers answers to all those calls on Twitter for a female Villan rather then actually come up with a compelling one from scratch.  

• Love 7
58 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

To throw people off like they like to do. Do we? Just like we all knew she was never coming back? 

IDK. It'd just be strange after her setup this year. They trade around the name BC so much that it's close to losing all meaning if it's so dispensable. 

6 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

IDK. It'd just be strange after her setup this year. They trade around the name BC so much that it's close to losing all meaning if it's so dispensable. 

It's already lost all meaning

18 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

Marc already said on tumblr that Black Siren is not changing costumes, which is as good as saying she's not going to be Black Canary. She's the antagonist next season and more then likely the writers answers to all those calls on Twitter for a female Villan rather then actually come up with a compelling one from scratch.  

That was in relation to Black Siren getting a new costume, not her suiting up as Black Canary.

To be honest I don't care who becomes black canary! If it's going to be BS then the actress needs some sort of training because her fighting was atrocious. Based on the fighting I think Dinah is a better canary but honestly don't care! Just as long as whoever it is doesn't make me cringe with embarrassment when they do a fight scene. 

• Love 1

I mean - I just don't think it's wise to be hopeful here. They call her BC in almost every interview, they gave her the name. It's inevitable at this point she's going to be called Black Canary on the show. Hoping she won't will just lead to disappointment, imo. 

6 hours ago, wonderwall said:

I mean if the BC mantle is meaningless I don't see why it matters...

Same reason why its matters to people who think Sara should be Black Canary and Laurel having it was stupid/didnt acknowledge her. People have preferences. 

34 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

It's only meaningless if it's NOT given back to KC... ?

giphy.gif

Media recap of IndieWire's Fan Favorites Showrunners panel on April 1 (which included MG)...

WonderCon 2017: Showrunners
Press Pass LA | April 4, 2017    
http://www.presspassla.com/wondercon-2017-showrunners/

A showrunner is the creative force and manager of an entertainment program. Both providing the vision and the work for a series, these heroes have great power, which comes great responsibility. Bureaucracy, in and out of the writers room, can challenge any artistic feat.

At WonderCon 2017, IndieWire held the first-ever Fan Favorites Showrunners panel where attendees learned about the struggle from six showrunners representing a variety of cutting edge shows.

Present for the panel was Marc Guggenheim (Arrow and DC’s Legends of Tomorrow), Jonah Ray (revival of Mystery Science Theatre 3000), Raphael Bob-Waksberg (BoJack Horseman) Sera Gamble (Syfy’s The Magicians), Jessica Goldberg (The Path), and Aline Brosh McKenna (Crazy Ex-Girlfriend).
Bob-Waksberg teased, “It’s hard to write a show from the fetal position,” after a fan asked how the present political environment has affected the group’s work. Art often reflects life, but it can be surreal for life to reflect art. In an episode of DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, history is rewritten and an evil narcissist controls the world. When Guggenheim wrote the episode, he “thought the [real] world would be a lot different.” Gamble agreed, citing that certain jokes were removed from her show as they were framed with the belief that Hillary Clinton would be president. Although the old material had no significance, Gamble found that pursuing an arc around a character’s rape and abortion became more impactful in the current climate.
The spirit of the panel was to learn secrets of the trade, despite that, the true burning question was over rumors for an upcoming writers strike. Producer Bob-Waksberg emphasized that although no one wants a strike, “writers would like to be paid fairly.” The guests agreed that the entertainment industry has transformed into a corporate monster that doesn’t compensate it’s visionaries, or provide them consistent opportunities.

“Shows only produce 10 episodes,” Bob-Waksberg explained, “that’s fewer paychecks.” Writing for multiple shows does not solve the problem of establishing a consistent living wage, as Guggenheim pointed out that “contractually, some [writers] are prohibited from working more than six months.” He clarified for the crowd that it can take weeks to conceive an episode and they are paid per diem. When Bob-Waksberg pointed out that their healthcare was slashed, Guggenheim mimicked the President’s verbosity, joking, “No worries. Everyone’s going to have this awesome health care. It’ll be the best. It’ll be bigly.”

Later in the month of April, members of the Writers Guild of America will be voting on whether they will activate the strike. Guggenheim reaffirmed, “No one wants to strike, but that is our one negotiating leverage.” It was apparent to the group that corporations have forgotten how essential writers and showrunners are. Their charge is to provide meaningful content that  both inspires, moves, and entertains. Although creating content is difficult, it turns out the biggest hurdle of the industry is the industry itself.

Edited by tv echo

I saw Marcs World Series/Shippers tweet come up on someone's Twitter timeline and I forgot all about that tweet and how angry that made since A. It was unprovoked and at the time I didn't see any shippers claiming anything about the ratings and B. The ratings didnt suck as much  as they do now - even without the World Series.

So maybe I don't feel as bad for those not so polite asks on tumblr haha. And given that the base salary for a staff writer of a 23 episode show is around $90,000 and the base salary for a top level writer is $150,000 (According to a Huffigton post article) I'm not deeply sympathetic to your "it's so hard to make a living as a writer" tales Marc.