Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, catrox14 said:

I can see that. And that tells me that she must have valued being a love interest more than being the BC which given the choice you'd think BC would come first.

I think that's true, that for KC the love interest role was the more important.  Being Black Canary was the icing on the cake.  And when she lost the love interest position, she couldn't make Laurel salient or compelling enough to keep the character on the show.

There was a place for both Sara and Felicity in season 2, before Sara was killed so that Laurel could take her place.  There could have been room for both Laurel and Felicity on the show.  White Collar, for example, is a show with two central characters doing the cons and yet there was a real role for the love interest of one of the two characters.

• Love 2

I do think losing the LI role basically lead to her losing all relevance and ultimately being killed off.That's just because she was primarily set up as the LI in season 1, being the future BC or being a lawyer wasn't what gave her importance or screentime time in season 1, it was the fact that L/O was still a thing.Being BC with no unique connection or relevant role to Oliver's story meant nothing and she still felt superfluous.And the chemistry issue imo meant that they would always avoid L/O scenes or making them actual onscreen friends plus the fact that KC would not stop acting the scenes they did get with the idea that Laurel is still in love with Oliver and there was just no fixing it and finding a real place for her on the show.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, WildcardC said:

Clearly there wasnt.

IMO  any claim by either KC or whoever extrapolated her words about the Arrow writers favoring Emily in general over KC in general doesn't make sense. The only way it makes sense is for the love interest to Oliver. I'm thinking if KC kept pushing the writers for LI and superhero, then she screwed herself.  That's my speculation and nothing more than speculation.

• Love 1

KC can claim politics or whatever as the reason she was bumped off the show but in the end it probably came down to money.

Could be about money or any number of reasons but I think she is in a far better position to know what really happened BTS than any of us here. The other cast & crew are really the only one who can refute KC's claims. 

There's no room for another "big name" mask.

A mask is as big as a show make them out to be. Martian Manhunter is arguably a bigger superhero than Supergirl in Supergirl and he plays a support role just fine. Superman is set to be a new side character too. I would argue Mr Terrific is pretty close to GA status. The Flash will have Wally West's Kid Flash, a very popular character in comics.  If the writers thought BC wasnt needed Im cool with that, lets just hope they are not planning a 3rd BC in the form of Felicity or somebody else. Considering what they did with the Evelyn character, I have yet to be convinced they really let her go.

Edited by WildcardC
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, WildcardC said:

Could be about money or any number of reasons but I think she is in a far better position to know what really happened BTS than any of us here. The other cast & crew are really the only one who can refute KC's claims. 

A mask is as big as a show make them out to be. Martian Manhunter is arguably a bigger superhero than Supergirl in Supergirl and he plays a support role just fine. Superman is set to be a new side character too. I would argue Mr Terrific is pretty close to GA status. If the writers thought BC wasnt needed Im cool with that, lets just hope they are not planning a 3rd BC in the form of Felicity or somebody else. 

True, doesn't necessarily mean she won't try to spin the story in a way that puts her in a more sympathetic light. And as previously mentioned upthread, there's no upside right now to cast members presenting a different story. 

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, WildcardC said:

A mask is as big as a show make them out to be. Martian Manhunter is arguably a bigger superhero than Supergirl in Supergirl and he plays a support role just fine. Superman is set to be a new side character too. I would argue Mr Terrific is pretty close to GA status. The Flash will have Wally West's Kid Flash, a very popular character in comics.  If the writers thought BC wasnt needed Im cool with that, lets just hope they are not planning a 3rd BC in the form of Felicity or somebody else. Considering what they did with the Evelyn character, I have yet to be convinced they really let her go.

Yes it is possible. However, i would argue it's a bit different. Laurel was introduced as the female lead, 2nd billed she was set up from the start to have a significant role in the show fabric. Martian Manhunter was introduced from the start as a supporting character and was weaved into the show as such (same for Superman - and let's hope he will remain that way).

So yea, you can have big heroes as the supporting characters.

I highly anyone, and I mean ANYONE, is planning on turning Felicity into BC- maybe in fanfiction AU land- but even there it is extremely rare.

• Love 3

True, doesn't necessarily mean she won't try to spin the story in a way that puts her in a more sympathetic light.

True and it doesnt mean the showrunners/bosses haven't been spinning the story in a way that puts them in  a more sympathetic light too. There is an upside for the cast and crew, they still got a product to sell.  I believe that they are some things that went down BTS, than are not at all like the stories they spun in the press, not saying the actor is blameless either. 

Edited by WildcardC
5 hours ago, catrox14 said:

I can see that. And that tells me that she must have valued being a love interest more than being the BC which given the choice you'd think BC would come first.

From a business standpoint, the love interest role is the Get. Shipping is huge in media. It gets the clicks, the trends. Black Canary could be a fantastic role but it wouldn't get her the status she would want. I've mentioned before, I think KC thought that this role would make her the next Nina Dobrev for The CW. She needed a 'Delena' for that.

• Love 14

With KC I don't think it was ever about "a strong female character." To her it was all about wanting to be a love interest. Remember 4x01 when they go to get Oliver? After that God awful in your bones line she proceeds to stare at him with what seems to be X-ray vision. It was so creepy like girl his REAL girlfriend on the show is right there. Good Lord. She did those things all throughout seasons 3 & 4.

• Love 8

KCs tweet below the First Step shoutout. She is reasurring she will post something. And not an hour later the tweets comes.

I dont remember people being this sensitive when Katherine Heigl was doing similar things.

Edited by Velocity23
  • Love 1

I watched just short pieces of a couple of videos because I don't think watching someone yell about a tv show is a good way to spend my time. Anyway I don't know everything he said but talking about real people only I saw him insult MG because he hates him and he ruined the show because he gets a hard on for Felicity. Then he went on and on about the "actress Felicity" ranting about her as well. Now some say he meant the character Felicity but if you say actress and you talk about how she conveys feelings, between other things, I have quite a few doubts.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, bijoux said:

I'm laughing so hard at that whole fb comment. It's basically 'Now if you just do as I say, Stephen, I'll forget this whole thing ever happened!' Haha.

I'm pleased to see SA say this though because his previous standing of "Keep making videos and being passionate!" was disappointing, especially after what that dude said about EBR. Insult a character all you want but never imply that an actress got her job on her knees. Gross. 

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, bijoux said:

I feel bad for the girl, honestly.  SHE is just someone in the picture; the account belongs to Dan Kersey (his name is visible at the top of his post), whose profile picture is of him and the girl. 

I know he gets too many comments to pay attention to all of them, but I really wish SA would address other types of comments.

That photo reminds me I really don't like that costume. It's weird around the neck, it's bulky on the shoulders like he's freakin' Joan Collins with pads, it makes him look thick around the torso. Why, oh, why didn't they ask Colleen Atwood to design and create the GA costume in S4?!? (Budget, maybe?) This is supposed to be the look he'll keep for years to come and they effed it up. I miss the old one.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, wonderwall said:

I feel like it's mean spirited to enjoy KC obviously struggling to book something... I don't even like her one bit. 

Regardless, I hope a lot of cats are adopted. 

Except she isnt. She announced at SLCC that she is doing a movie in LA.

I wish people would get around to asking better questions instead of the same one over and over and over and over and over annnnnd ooooovvvver again.

I skimmed the panel a little bit and around 24 she starts talking about finding out at the Con. She said it's TV, she understands it from a creative viewpoint, it's going to be a launch for other characters and that S5 is going to be really great. I didn't hear anything about it being political. I didn't have time to watch it all though. 

Getting the same questions over and over again is what happens to them at every Con. Thats why I always leave or turn off the video during the fan questions. Rarely is anything new or interesting said during those. Because they were the same questions asked at the last 500 Cons. 

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Except she isnt. She announced at SLCC that she is doing a movie in LA.

I wish people would get around to asking better questions instead of the same one over and over and over and over and over annnnnd ooooovvvver again.

Any movie who's actors have to make the casting announcement doesn't seem like a winner in my books and seems like something that will struggle to get distributed. 

Also I agree. People need to ask better questions at cons. And that's just in general

27 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I skimmed the panel a little bit and around 24 she starts talking about finding out at the Con. She said it's TV, she understands it from a creative viewpoint, it's going to be a launch for other characters and that S5 is going to be really great. I didn't hear anything about it being political. I didn't have time to watch it all though. 

It was part of her answer to the first question (starting at 8:18: If she has any idea why they cut her from the show).

Well according to her fan site she is shooting a murder mistery. She seems on her way to get type cast.

http://kcdaily.net/salt-lake-comic-con/

She has a new movie, she is going to shoot in Los Angeles soon. It takes place in Coachella and the film is a murder mistery, it’s going to have different point of views, she said it’s cool and interesting.

Wondering why there are at least no guest appearances on other show is a legitimate question.

I didn't see the big deal in it. Her trying to come up with reasons why Laurel was killed off "ugh....politics....they get a lot of story out of killing her off, it gives everyone a platform to jump off of" all of which she understood and continues to praise the show regardless. Definitely had nothing to do with Emily.

3 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

Well according to her fan site she is shooting a murder mistery. She seems on her way to get type cast.

http://kcdaily.net/salt-lake-comic-con/

Wondering why there are at least no guest appearances on other show is a legitimate question.

Sure and of course it will be 1 of 2 things, either she can't land a guest star role or she isn't interested in trying to actively pursue a lot of roles right now. She wouldn't be the first actor to relax after spending 4 years on a demanding show. But there is a difference between "she cant get any roles" and "she has roles but they arent huge films"

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

Because she is still under contract by WB. i cannot wait when she is away from the contract so nothing holds her back.

Being under contract doesnt mean that she has to actively praise the show. She could just overlook it, but if she had any malice then she probably wouldn't continue to hang out with the cast, though majority of her issues could do with the people bts (aka MG) then anyone else. 

"Keep making videos and being passionate!" was disappointing, especially after what that dude said about EBR.

Actress abuse didnt start with EBR nor ends with her. SA is chosing to only make one side of the fandom accountable for what both sides do, well he shouldnt BS and just own up to who he values and the side he favors. Instead of pretending he cares about stopping the hate and misogyny.

Edited by WildcardC
1 minute ago, Primal Slayer said:

Being under contract doesnt mean that she has to actively praise the show. She could just overlook it, but if she had any malice then she probably wouldn't continue to hang out with the cast, though majority of her issues could do with the people bts (aka MG) then anyone else.

Well if her movie is a WB production like the previous one she did ... she might be more careful. 

I must laugh when people claimg that hanging out with cast isnt encouraged by the network at all. When there is a biography being release by an Glee actor where its stated that these kind of things were actively supported.

• Love 3