Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

I get a little mean toward people who ask the same questions people always ask.  By now, everybody in the Arrow fandom knows that JB is the biggest prankster on the set.  Someone who mentions enjoying SA's pics of his daughter should just assume he misses her when he's filming. 

I want more interesting questions, Folks!!

• Love 2
(edited)

He should have used a better word and I think maybe he's directing his anger in the wrong direction, because the (stupid, awful, screwed up) MPAA and their puritanical, inane rules are the reason for the lack of swearing in teen movies--it's not like filmmakers have become less "ballsy" or something. They're just not allowed to do things they once were.

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 12
Just now, Carrie Ann said:

He should have used a better word and I think maybe he's directing his anger in the wrong direction, because the (stupid, awful, screwed up) MPAA and their puritanical, inane rules are the reason for the lack of swearing in teen movies.

I agree with your assessment. 

12 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

CR and ZL both loved The Giving Tree when they were kids.  I've never read that book.

SA loved a Christopher Pike book...such a guy.

really? You're the first person I know.

also: trust me go and buy it, especially if you have children. I remember when I read for the first time, I was like 6-ish and I was crying because I was so sad for the tree.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Carrie Ann said:

He should have used a better word and I think maybe he's directing his anger in the wrong direction, because the (stupid, awful, screwed up) MPAA and their puritanical, inane rules are the reason for the lack of swearing in teen movies--it's not like filmmakers have become less "ballsy" or something. They're just not allowed to do things they once were.

He doesn't get a pass a from me because his poor word choice is the perpetuation of gendered slurs. The whole dichotomy of "pussification" = weakening and "ballsy" = strong/brave exemplifies the problem. I doubt he would have gotten a pass if he called something "gay" to make his point about it being weak because people tend to be more aware that it's just not cool. However, with all of the misogyny in the fandom and the gendered-based hate hurled at EBR, I would hope he would never even want to use "pussification" or other terms that conflate weakness with the female gender.

• Love 9

Thanks for the warning. If it's sad, maybe that's why I don't know it.  My daughter was (is) hypersensitive to anything sad.  I couldn't even get through Oscar Wilde's The Happy Prince.  And I will never read Ol' Yeller.  (I would have said Cue For Treason. Maybe we should compare notes on the Small Talk thread.)

Adventures in Babysitting is not what I would have my 20 month old watching.  Sorry SA.

Arthur Darville demonstrated why ladies don't take off their hats indoors -- hats really mess up your hair.

To my surprise, I think I liked CRDust maybe most of all.  For this, I can dismiss less than great acting.

(edited)
9 minutes ago, EmeraldArcher said:

He doesn't get a pass a from me because his poor word choice is the perpetuation of gendered slurs. The whole dichotomy of "pussification" = weakening and "ballsy" = strong/brave exemplifies the problem. I doubt he would have gotten a pass if he called something "gay" to make his point about it being weak because people tend to be more aware that it's just not cool.

I used the word "ballsy" purposefully to make that exact point. I also didn't ask you or anyone to give him a pass, nor did I give him a pass. I believe I said he should have used a different word?

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 1
(edited)

This is turning out to be the best SDCC for several reasons (yes I'm going to make YET another list): 

• NerdHQ panel was awesome and fun
  • Stephen going to accept the ship of the year award which was REALLY sweet
  • Brian Ford Sullivan's tweets about the main characters gave me so much hope for season 5
  • The fandom has been really excited in general and hyped which is such a nice change of pace
  • No KC

I feel good :p 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 16

I thought the panel was one of the best ones I've seen in a while. Good questions from the audience, great answers from the panel members, everyone seemed happy to be there and played off each other well. I didn't know much about Arthur Darvill but he was delightful.

• Love 6

I loved SA and EBR talking about the elevator shaft stunt from S1. That's one of my favorite OTA scenes of all time, and one of my favorite scenes from the show period. I pray there's more of that in Season 5.

Also, I completely cracked up at the "Amanda Poorbutt" thing. I'm not surprised no one could keep a straight face at that. 

• Love 3

@Carrie Ann, I don't think we're going to agree on this one.  I was confused by your explaining what he meant as a way to reduce the impact of his word choice.  It's fine.  I can come across as pretty hard on celebrities who say stupid, damaging things--because I am hard on them.

• Love 3
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

LOL. What? 

I believe it has to do with the anti-Olicity/Trump posts he made the other day on Twitter. He upset people who thought he was comparing people who don't like Olicity to Trump/Trump supporters, when he was actually attempting to make the people who answered that they were equally bad (or that anti-Olicity folks were "worse") look foolish and over invested. (Mods: Hope this doesn't count as fan talk since it's an actual turn of events with a writer on the show).

Bad writer, can't even make a point on the internet properly. LOL. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, apinknightmare said:

I believe it has to do with the anti-Olicity/Trump posts he made the other day on Twitter. He upset people who thought he was comparing people who don't like Olicity to Trump/Trump supporters, when he was actually attempting to make the people who answered that they were equally bad (or that anti-Olicity folks were "worse") look foolish and over invested. (Mods: Hope this doesn't count as fan talk since it's an actual turn of events with a writer).

Bad writer, can't even troll properly. LOL. 

Ohhhhh. Okay. I'd forgotten about that probably because it pissed me off. Haha.

Ah, to be loved by reddit. He must be so proud! ;P

(edited)

I agree with @EmeraldArcher The second he said it I was "Really Steve?!!!".. and then I was.. why didn't anyone say anything.. I really hope someone will call him out on it at the Arrow panel- but I doubt it.

Half an hour later: I decided to not wait for someone else to actually do it and went ahead and commented about it in on the Nerd HQ post he has on his facebook page.

Dear Stephen..

I was told the link may not work so this is what I wrote

Dear Stephen Amell
I know you may not read this, but in the hope that maybe you will.. I feel like someone should bring this to your attention.
(My apologies for weak punctuation or grammar English is not my first language)

First allow me to say how much I enjoyed having Emily, John and Arthur on the panel with you, I even found myself enjoying Cody- which was a surprise for me.

That being said, I am utterly disappointed with your use of the word "pussification" as the reason why writers/producers/executives and so on in hollywood don't add curse words and rate movies that do have them much higher than they may 20 years ago.

I am disappointed not because I disagree with you (I agree that the way Hollywood movies and shows are rated is problematic) but because I KNOW! you have a far broader vocabulary and could have used a word that does not demean women. why not use "Cowards" or "Weakling" "Fearful" instead, or *cue sarcastic tone* if you wanted so badly to curse them why not use the word "gay"? I mean when used as a curse that's exactly what it means.. being a coward.

Society uses the word "puss[y]fication" to say someone is weak and not tough, while we use "ballsy" to say someone is strong/brave.
Being a "Pussy" = weak, being "Ballsy"= strong.

By using gender related slurs and compliments we continue to perpetuate gender inequality and misogyny.

As a father of young girl I would imagine you'd be far more interested in abolishing these sexist words not just from your vocabulary but from society as well instead of perpetuating them.

I truly hope this won't disappear into the abyss of comments on this post. I hope you will read this and will not only understand the error of using that (and other similar words) but really take this not just into deep consideration and actively do something to monitor your use of such misogynic words; not for a fan or for yourself even, but for your lovely daughter!.

Sinceriously
Maya- who is looking forward to S05 of Arrow.

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

LEGS! Apart from the gold chain around her neck she looks much better. I like it. Are there parties now or something? 

Yeah. I like the outfit, but not the chain. And I think there's a WB party tonight?

• Love 1