Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

Personally speaking, I just don't like SA's attitude of late. I don't care about the polls or awards (although I do think it's crappy to ask people to vote for his sports crap and not do the same in return for fandom things) or lack of promoting or whatever the hell the issue is. I just don't like his dismissiveness or his ego. Dude thinks he's Tom Cruise now. Poor sweet summer child.

• Love 14
(edited)
6 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

I agree that he shouldn't have offered to support a poll in exchange for people helping him with his and then not deliver. That is shitty behavior. But what I don't get is how this particular instance has been blown up to "SA won't promote the show" which isn't really true. He just seems to like a more grassroots level of promotion. "SA doesn't support fan efforts to promote the show" is mostly true (he did acknowledge and thank fans after the MTV Ship of the Year award) but that is something that has been his MO since always, so I don't get why he's being taken to task now. 

I think its a combination of not supporting fan efforts and having a dismissive attitude for the last couple months. It feels like he is dismissing the fans and the show.

All fans want is a little recognition. The fact that that is apparently so hard for him is a little sad.  

Regarding "Ship of the Year": I'm pretty sure if EBR hadn't engaged him, he wouldn't have acknowledged it. And it took a year for him to post a video about it, and I'm pretty sure that was due to other factors.

Edited by Chaser
  • Love 13
(edited)
7 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

I agree that he shouldn't have offered to support a poll in exchange for people helping him with his and then not deliver. That is shitty behavior. But what I don't get is how this particular instance has been blown up to "SA won't promote the show" which isn't really true. He just seems to like a more grassroots level of promotion. "SA doesn't support fan efforts to promote the show" is mostly true (he did acknowledge and thank fans after the MTV Ship of the Year award) but that is something that has been his MO since always, so I don't get why he's being taken to task now. 

I agree that it's been his attitude for a while but most people ignored it or let it slide. At some point they got tired and he had the wrong attitude in the wrong moment. That's what I think happened.

Edited by Midnight Lullaby
  • Love 3

I don't know why you wouldn't want to be on a magazine cover if you had won it by fan votes. I understand he doesn't like photo shoots but, to me he seems he wants to be famous enough so if Arrow did win and if he were to do it, it would give him more exposure. Which seems to be something he always wanted. Which in return might elevate his brand to show other movie producers. 

• Love 2

Yeah, I don't get that either. Wouldn't being on the cover of EW bring more promotion? True, he has his FB page, but people who follow that are fans of the show already,  I think.

Though honestly I'm expecting a cover with all the 4 shows for the crossover.

• Love 1

Photo shoots suck, but they are a necessary evil in a town that thrives on publicity. SA's is widening his range with the WWE and MLB audience, but if he wants Chris Evans or RDJ recognition, he has to get his name out there. I read recently that movie stars are fading; it's now the (franchised) role. You can put a John Boyega or Chris Pratt in Star Wars or Jurassic World because the franchise is now the star. I look at Chris Evans who I personally think is a character actor in a leading man body, but he uses the Marvel movies exposure to make the smaller films that he enjoys. And that's a guy who has publicly said has major issues with anxiety.

IDK, I lost focus there at the end. Basically, I'm curious how SA's career is going to evolve over the next few years. 

• Love 10

I do wonder if there is a "no romance" mandate going on, either because they want to woo back the comic fanboys or because they are planning to deep six Olicity, at least for season five.  Amell's "they can be great friends"--which I'm sure is the party line--coupled with no mentions elsewhere make me wonder.  If so, I can see why they'd all dodge promoting the teen choice best kiss award, since the only way people who like kissing are 13-year-old girls (sarcasm!).  

The problem with Stephen's behavior is that he put himself out there asking for a favor, but set limits on what he was willing to do after the fact.  I do feel like in the last two years that he's shifted from promoting Arrow to promoting the Amell brand--a man's man who loves his family--and frankly, he's not that interesting.  

• Love 21
6 minutes ago, thegirlsleuth said:

I do feel like in the last two years that he's shifted from promoting Arrow to promoting the Amell brand--a man's man who loves his family--and frankly, he's not that interesting.  

This is me 1000%.

• Love 11

I wonder if SA has just decided he won't promote fan votes in general because if he does then he might be called to task if he promotes  one over another whereas asking his FB and Twitter followers to vote for his baseball team or for WWE doesn't divide the Arrow audience like many of these fan votes do. Maybe he doesn't want to do the EW cover because it would be tacitly approving a fan vote that he seems to otherwise stay away from when it's show related.

That's how it's coming across to me anyway. YMMV 

• Love 1

For me, the difference bw EBR not wanting to do cons (which I'm fine with) and SA not wanting to do photo shoots for freaking MAGAZINE covers (which I find stupid) is that cons are for the actors, to get money. I wager that most people attending cons are already fans, so it doesn't really promote the show. It probably somewhat promotes the actor, but mostly it just gets them cash. Photo shoots, at least the kinds of photo shoots ppl are asking for, promote THE SHOW. So him just refusing to do them is dumb, dismissive, and rude. He certainly doesn't need to do every photo shoot anyone ever asks, but for the cover of a fairly major media magazine? That's ridiculous and short-sighted. I started watching the show bc of a photo (the famous one w "Destiny leaves a mark") and got a few other people to start watching bc of photos. They've all quit since, bc of S3, but that is why they started. 

• Love 6

SA has and always will toe the company line. In S1, SA talked A LOT about Laurel,  O/L and O/L/T triangle.  SA didn't really start talking up Olicity until the summer before S2, after the EPs had already voiced "moving onto Felicity" in interviews and being paired with EBR (alone) for a ton of Friday SDCC Press Events.  SA continued to voice Olicity positive thoughts until December of S2, then he denied Oliver was jealous in 208-209 (which I kind of agreed with). Then in January,  SA started teasing a new domestic Oliver and potential LI while answering Olicity questions with "I don't know, I don't write for the show". Then in February he would talk about O/S and how Oliver could be with Sara and not Felicity because Sara could take care of herself.  

SA pimped Olicity from end of S2-mid S4 because that was his story, Arrow made Olicity a thing even in S3 when they weren't together,  Oliver's story was tied to his love of Felicity and his sacrificial belief that he couldn't be Oliver and GA. 

If SA is being dismissive of Olicity now it's not due to some nefarious conspiracy, IMO. It's because his answers are reflective of the state of Olicity/Oliver's story in S5A (or maybe all of S5).

• Love 18

I wonder if it was salt in the wound to have to promote TMNT a few weeks ago when it had, ostensibly, already tanked. But that's Hollywood, dude. You are only as good as your last project. Why do I work/live here again?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Morrigan2575 said:

If SA is being dismissive of Olicity now it's not due to some nefarious conspiracy, IMO. It's because his answers are reflective of the state of Olicity/Oliver's story in S5A (or maybe all of S5).

I think there is a conspiracy, but he's not leading it. I think it's a show decision, that he may have supported, to kill the romance. I agree he's now just cheerleading that decision, like he always does. I prefer when actors are a bit more...discerning...but I don't really care about SA. I am nearly 100% convinced, though, that O/F is effectively dead, at least for more or less all of S5. I personally think that decision has been made and will only be changed if ratings tank.

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, AyChihuahua said:

I think there is a conspiracy, but he's not leading it. I think it's a show decision, that he may have supported, to kill the romance. I agree he's now just cheerleading that decision, like he always does. I prefer when actors are a bit more...discerning...but I don't really care about SA. I am nearly 100% convinced, though, that O/F is effectively dead, at least for more or less all of S5. I personally think that decision has been made and will only be changed if ratings tank.

I'm sorry but, they're not killing Olicity. Forgive me but that's just standard shipping paranoia/melodrama.  

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 7

I don't know, he wasn't exactly pimping it in S3. He gave answers like 'my character is dead and she's unattainable to me at the moment' or 'she's taken' while she was with Ray. That doesn't seem that different from saying 'they're friends'.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'm sorry but, hey're not killing Olicity. Forgive me but that's just standard shipping paranoia/melodrama.  

I think they are killing them for basically S5 almost for sure. And people said the same thing about various ships in the past...which then were killed.

2 minutes ago, looptab said:

I don't know, he wasn't exactly pimping it in S3. He gave answers like 'my character is dead and she's unattainable to me at the moment' or 'she's taken' while she was with Ray. That doesn't seem that different from saying 'they're friends'.

I think it's totally different. Saying he can't have her implies that he wants her. He's now saying they don't want each other.

3 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Honestly, I don't understand what is so bad about saying they are friends. They aren't together right now. They are friends. Okay.

I think if I'm in love with a guy, and he tells me he just wants to be good friends, I'd not be super happy about that. 

• Love 1

I really don't think they're killing it for season 5 either. Imo he really just did his usual thing with selling exactly what's in the moment and that's them being friends. Only i think he's been dismissive about a lot of things lately so it comes across harsher than necessary. 

• Love 9
1 minute ago, AyChihuahua said:

I think if I'm in love with a guy, and he tells me he just wants to be good friends, I'd not be super happy about that. 

When did they have that conversation?

• Love 3

I don't think he said Oliver just wants to be friends.He just said that olicity can have a relationship other than romance. But i don't think it means they're done and just want the friendship now. They've been in love and been friends at the same time a lot like in season 2, 3.  So i think it's the show having them be friendly while they're stalling them because they can't exactly do the more realistic thing and have them unable to be in the same room. 

• Love 9
22 minutes ago, AyChihuahua said:

I think it's totally different. Saying he can't have her implies that he wants her. He's now saying they don't want each other.

But didn't he also say that Oliver has marriage on his mind? Plus, on the show itself, Oliver didn't even seem to be bothered about his situation with Felicity after 301 until 305, then 307.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, tangerine95 said:

I really don't think they're killing it for season 5 either. Imo he really just did his usual thing with selling exactly what's in the moment and that's them being friends. Only i think he's been dismissive about a lot of things lately so it comes across harsher than necessary. 

Replying in Speculation thread

31 minutes ago, looptab said:

You're right, i forgot about that but, yeah he was totally toeing the company line there as well. Oliver is dead, no really,  he's dead.

• Love 1

He was saying she was unattainable during Paley while they already shot 3x20 sex scene. And then the next day at a con he talk about Felicitys scar and gave a fan exclusive spoiler about Nanda Parbat for 3x20. He can be a troll.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

You're right, i forgot about that but, yeah he was totally toeing the company line there as well. Oliver is dead, no really,  he's dead.

I agree,  just wanted to add for the sake of getting a clearer picture. It's what he does, but I agree with the poster above who said that now it's just coming across badly because of the general attitude.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, looptab said:

But didn't he also say that Oliver has marriage on his mind? Plus, on the show itself, Oliver didn't even seem to be bothered about his situation with Felicity after 301 until 305, then 307.

That doesn't mean he has marriage to Felicity on his mind. That could mean lots of different things.

I'm just saying, the usual way this show works is that they do the dumbest possible thing. That is how I called Oliver lying to Felicity about the dumb kid. I do not believe it is out of the realm of possibility for O/F to be over-over, although I do think that is unlikely, and I am becoming more sure that O/F are over for S5.  

• Love 1
(edited)

IDK what people want Stephen to say... He already said:

• They're in a good place
  • Even if they aren't in a relationship they can still be friendly (meaning they are too important to each other to actually not have any sort of relationship w/ one another)
  • Marriage is still on Oliver's mind -- and with everything that happened on the show especially Oliver's vows, I can't see this being about anyone else?

What more can he say about the status of their relationship without spoiling anything? I honestly don't know.

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 8
56 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

IDK what people want Stephen to say... He already said:

• They're in a good place
  • Even if they aren't in a relationship they can still be friendly (meaning they are too important to each other to actually not have any sort of relationship w/ one another)
  • Marriage is still on Oliver's mind -- and with everything that happened on the show especially Oliver's vows, I can't see this being about anyone else?

What more can he say about the status of their relationship without spoiling anything? I honestly don't know.

You can't imagine this being about anyone else bc you watch the show, pay attention, and expect past character behavior to predict future character behavior. That is, quite often, not how Arrow works.

Plus SA may not mean him marrying someone is on his mind, at all. He could be talking about the Nyssa thing (joy), he could be talking about another character entirely, he could be talking about OQ considering how marrying someone other than Felicity would work, he could be talking about someone else proposing to Felicity (whether she says yes or no). Heck, maybe Roy proposes to Thea. 

Oh, I also called Oliver visiting the kid and lying to Felicity about it by the "pick the dumbest thing and that's what they'll do." I mean, they are bringing back Baby Canary, the character no one cared about, played by a poor actress who's not even CW cute. That is dumb, but they're doing it.

And SA could say tons of stuff other than "they're good friends." DR, for example, did not say they are good friends. Tease the relationship, talk about whether/how they might get back together. For most people, saying "we're good friends" re an ex is a period, not a semicolon.

This may just be me,  but I'm far more interested in people threatening to kill John than I am about Cassandra's postings or Stephens clueless tweets. 

• Love 8
51 minutes ago, AyChihuahua said:

You can't imagine this being about anyone else bc you watch the show, pay attention, and expect past character behavior to predict future character behavior. That is, quite often, not how Arrow works.

Plus SA may not mean him marrying someone is on his mind, at all. He could be talking about the Nyssa thing (joy), he could be talking about another character entirely, he could be talking about OQ considering how marrying someone other than Felicity would work, he could be talking about someone else proposing to Felicity (whether she says yes or no). Heck, maybe Roy proposes to Thea. 

Oh, I also called Oliver visiting the kid and lying to Felicity about it by the "pick the dumbest thing and that's what they'll do." I mean, they are bringing back Baby Canary, the character no one cared about, played by a poor actress who's not even CW cute. That is dumb, but they're doing it.

And SA could say tons of stuff other than "they're good friends." DR, for example, did not say they are good friends. Tease the relationship, talk about whether/how they might get back together. For most people, saying "we're good friends" re an ex is a period, not a semicolon.

How'd that hat taste again?

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Delphi said:

This may just be me,  but I'm far more interested in people threatening to kill John than I am about Cassandra's postings or Stephens clueless tweets. 

To be fair, we just learned about people threatening John (Although I'm not sure if it's to kill him, but it's all scary nonetheless) and the stuff about Cassandra and Stephen's tweets were from yesterday and no one is really talking about them anymore... We're more talking about what SA said at cons and his general attitude. 

Regardless, I hope JB takes care of himself and I'm glad he's taking extra precautions. 

That's insane (threatening JB). I'm glad he's taken steps to protect himself (and presumably Scott), knowing how much he loves the whole convention thing it must be pretty serious.

Someone with mental issues presumably, who on earth would want to hurt an actor?

4 minutes ago, pootlus said:

That's insane (threatening JB). I'm glad he's taken steps to protect himself (and presumably Scott), knowing how much he loves the whole convention thing it must be pretty serious.

Someone with mental issues presumably, who on earth would want to hurt an actor?

Fame brings crazy..look at John Lennon

24 minutes ago, Chaser said:

More recently Christina Grimmie.

Im glad John and the Con are taking it seriously. You just never know.

Agreed. I even think Emily should take it more seriously. She was called by the network and she just brushed it off. IMO it's not a smart move

3 hours ago, Chaser said:

How'd that hat taste again?

It was tasty, but I've been right by expecting the worst a lot more than I've been wrong with this show. It just is what it is. I called him lying, and I called him visiting the kid, and nobody agreed with me. It's not bc I'm smart, it's bc this show is crazy stupid. 

• Love 1