Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, looptab said:

Even more because at that point she was supposedly going to live. He probably  forced a few tears out hoping to get another hug from Felicity. :D

That's the other amusing part, he looked far more emotional and traumatised about the revelation Laurel still loved him than Laurel dying. That gives you an idea of how the Spectrum of Terrible Things In Oliver's Life lines up: Robert/Moira/Tommy Dying > Being Dumped By Felicity > Laurel Still Wants Me > Laurel Dying.  It's surprising flashbacks to her confession didn't pop up in his "darkest moments" montage.  

(Also makes me wonder how Oliver would have dealt with Laurel and her revelation if she hadn't died. Yeah he told her gravestone he loved her, but he never managed to say that to her face - even platonically. If he was so horrified by her confession, then things would have been super awkward after she recovered. I mean he'd watch her head out into the field every night, knowing she was still carrying that damn picture). 

Edited by TimetravellingBW
  • Love 7

Even more because at that point she was supposedly going to live. He probably  forced a few tears out hoping to get another hug from Felicity. :D

Stupid question because I haven't been following that closely but, isn't that SA's point? Oliver "ugly cried" in that scene because SA broke character not because Oliver was so emotional? 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Stupid question because I haven't been following that closely but, isn't that SA's point? Oliver "ugly cried" in that scene because SA broke character not because Oliver was so emotional? 

That's what I got from his answer as well. He didn't mean to have that reaction and was surprised they chose to put it in the episode.

10 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Yes, I think it was. I guess at this point we're just throwing guesses as to what could have been going on in Oliver's mind - terror, the hope to turn the situation to his advantage - just for fun :)

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, looptab said:

Yes, I think it was. I guess at this point we're just throwing guesses as to what could have been going on in Oliver's mind - terror, the hope to turn the situation to his advantage - just for fun :)

Exactly, I find the whole scene and general situation so ugh that it's enjoyable to imagine Oliver's perspective before he's forced to eulogize this apparently fictional, alternate version of Saint Laurel. Personally I imagine Oliver was wondering how many times he has to run away to literal hell on earth before Laurel realizes he's just not that into her. Third times the charm? Maybe Lian Yu isn't so bad this time of year, there's...coconuts and stuff. And you can totally avoid the landmines! Either that or he was about to suggest Laurel and Cupid start a club together. But I know that's not what SA and the writers were meaning.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

That's what I got from his answer as well. He didn't mean to have that reaction and was surprised they chose to put it in the episode.

Somehow I imagine the other takes had him mostly stone faced, aka like he normally looks around her. 

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Somehow I imagine the other takes had him mostly stone faced, aka like he normally looks around her. 

This is what I absolutely expected and I am still honestlyy downright shocked tht he managed to emote in a scene with her.

(edited)
9 hours ago, kismet said:

That's a really funny bunch of people. Are they all in a new project together?

Nathan Fillion and Alan Tudyk produced a new web series called Con Man. I think that either EK is going to be in season 2 of the web series or he was just visiting them on location...
http://conmantheseries.com/season-1/ 

ETA: Note that the season 1 cast of Con Man included, among others, Alan Tudyk, Nathan Fillion, Gina Torres, Amy Acker, Summer Glau, Sean Maher, Jewel Staite, Candice Patton and Joss Whedon.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Velocity23 said:

New CC appearance for KC

Is it just me or is that a really odd choice for a picture?  The main one.  She looks rather irritated and put out. 

• Love 2
(edited)

This weekend's comic cons...

Super Heroes Con II, June 11-12, 2016 (Paris, France)
Emily Bett Rickards, David Ramsey, Katie Cassidy, Willa Holland and Colin Donnell (also Rick Cosnett, Carlos Valdes, Teddy Sears and Shantel VanSanten)
http://www.people-convention.com/pages/conventions-a-venir/super-heroes-con.html

Starfury's The Ultimates, June 10-12, 2016 (Blackpool, England, UK)
Paul Blackthorne and Manu Bennett
http://www.starfury.co.uk/

NOTE: In 2016, KC scheduled 13 comic cons (so far) - that's more than any other Arrow actor.  For comparison, SA scheduled 8 comic cons in 2016 (so far).

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Is it just me or is that a really odd choice for a picture?  The main one.  She looks rather irritated and put out. 

Her expression is a bit weird, but she looks great as a brunette. When watching S1 episodes I can't help but notice how pretty she was with darker hair and fuller figure. 

• Love 4

I think it's an odd photo because it's old. Doesn't look anything like her now. 

The dramatic uptick in Con appearances makes me wonder if she didn't walk away from Arrow hurting (that and the random car thing). If they broke her contract they would have to pay out but if they let her expire then no dice? Is that right or too simple?

Cons are for celebrities to make money, unless it's SDCC they don't get much notice. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Chaser said:

If they broke her contract they would have to pay out but if they let her expire then no dice? Is that right or too simple?

I don't think they let her contract expire because of a big payout -- I think they let her contract run full because that was the deal The CW made with CBS to have her on Arrow with the latter picking up the bill. So the WB/Berlanti side of the operation was stuck with her because they weren't the ones paying her. Free actor is a great deal, except when she's problematic, then you're stuck for 90 episodes because you chose to go for free.

• Love 7
(edited)
35 minutes ago, Chaser said:

The dramatic uptick in Con appearances makes me wonder if she didn't walk away from Arrow hurting (that and the random car thing). If they broke her contract they would have to pay out but if they let her expire then no dice? Is that right or too simple?

Cons are for celebrities to make money, unless it's SDCC they don't get much notice. 

I don't think it's a question of money. KC should have no problem getting another job if she wants. She has a solid resume and Hollywood connections, and David Rapaport loves her. She also has her fashion career.

My impression is that KC really loved playing the Black Canary and has some residual bitterness over her exit from the show.  Doing comic cons gives her the opportunity to talk about that role and be surrounded by people who feel the same way. That's understandable.  Her comic con audiences seem to love her, so maybe it's also a way to send a message to the EPs that she's so popular that they need to bring her character back to the Flarrow-verse.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

I think it is a question of money. Especially if you consider her attitude towards cons in the past - and sometimes in the present, still, i.e: last-minute canceling, lateness. Yet now she does more cons than anyone else. I think it's because she needs to. Growing a fanbase it's a bonus.

• Love 4

It's a pretty easy way to maintain industry visibility within the geek genres. [This idea that actors do shit "for the fans" doesn't really fly with me. Not even the thing about cultivating a fanbase. It's first and foremost about getting the next job, not the next fan. I mean, the actor might believe he's cultivating a fanbase because that's typical actor thinking. But his/her agent and manager and PR people are not at all thinking about the fans], and when one is out of a regular job for the first time in ~5 years, it's also an easy way to make some Hollywood-sized pocket money.

• Love 11

She's not someone I would trust spending money on at a Con, to attend just for her, buying photo ops and autographs. She's not the only one, but I will give her the fact that she's very consistent with it. 

Con's are about making money for the actors whether it's extra or they lost their job. They make a good amount for 2 to 3 days of work while they are looking for another job. 

• Love 1

I have always thought doing cons was mainly a way to capitalize on your popularity and keep people talking about you. It's easy to be forgotten unless you are a big star or you are on a popular show otherwise. And of course it's easy money.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think with the gigs she's been booking (car show, video game, Amazon live fashion thing), it's clear KC is having trouble getting a role on any show and is a bit desperate for money. And why wouldn't she be? She lives a rather lavish life that isn't sustainable with no income. 

So her going to cons makes sense to me. She needs the money and she needs to stay relevant in order to book a new TV show.

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 1
(edited)

I feel like KC is booking cons for the money first, the exposure second and perhaps the fans third. Plus its a win-win for her, the money keeps coming in and her past behavior seems to indicate her being OK with needing to drop the cons as soon as it interferes with her life, so no problems there. It really is just easy money at this point.

I do wonder if because of her contract, she missed the pilot season and therefore has limited options for roles right now. Because I really can only see her booking tv shows or tv movies at this point. I don't think any major movie is lurking around trying to snatch her up. And somehow I can see her balking at TV movies as being too below her, while random gigs at car shows is a way to give back to the fans.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

I think with the gigs she's been booking (car show, video game, Amazon live fashion thing), it's clear KC is having trouble getting a role on any show and is a bit desperate for money. And why wouldn't she be? She lives a rather lavish life that isn't sustainable with no income. 

So her going to cons makes sense to me. She needs the money and she needs to stay relevant in order to book a new TV show.

I doubt she would have trouble getting a role on a show if she wanted. If anything this is easy money that lets her travel and probably have a year off to just relax. 

Just now, Primal Slayer said:

I doubt she would have trouble getting a role on a show if she wanted. If anything this is easy money that lets her travel and probably have a year off to just relax. 

Yeah, I bet she was offered tons of starring parts on big shows, and she just decided to turn them all down to go to cons in, e.g., Paramus, NJ. I hear it's beautiful this time of year.

• Love 19
Just now, AyChihuahua said:

Yeah, I bet she was offered tons of starring parts on big shows, and she just decided to turn them all down to go to cons in, e.g., Paramus, NJ. I hear it's beautiful this time of year.

giphy.gif

Because anyone said anything about her being offered huge parts on big shows? Or being offered parts in general?

18 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

She was also doing auditions during pilot season and nothing panned out for her.

Do you know that for a fact? Because I thought the auditions and pilots are generally cast/shot in Dec/Jan. I feel like she wasn't free to find a new role. Also she could have been unable to audition if still under contract to Arrow, especially if she had to keep the death quiet because of contractual obligations. Her being free for the pilot season basically shouts that its her in the grave. And I could see the show making the cast & especially the dead one sign non-disclosure agreements. It's not like she could give assurances to the newer shows that she would be absolutely available. Who would willingly leaving a well paying confirmed regular gig to explore random unsure pilots?

Didn't the same thing happen for CD and ST, that because they were under contract they couldn't find new roles. I thought that was part of the reason ST had some issues with how they treated her when they let her go.

Regardless, I think my point was that I anticipate the con appearances will drop once another opportunity opens up. She's not going to the cons because she wants to be there, or at least that's the impression I get.

It's not as if pilot season is all there is. Shows cast for various parts at various times, and movies are always filming.

She's a 30-year-old CW actress, most recently known for playing a failed character. I highly doubt casting directors are banging down her door. An excellent piece of evidence for that conclusion? She's not filming anything.

• Love 7

Yeah the first time i heard she was trying out for pilots was at the end of December/begining of January.

I wouldnt be surprised if KC only got a yearly contract for s4. The same way they doing for Barrowman.

17 minutes ago, kismet said:

Do you know that for a fact? Because I thought the auditions and pilots are generally cast/shot in Dec/Jan. I feel like she wasn't free to find a new role. Also she could have been unable to audition if still under contract to Arrow, especially if she had to keep the death quiet because of contractual obligations. Her being free for the pilot season basically shouts that its her in the grave. And I could see the show making the cast & especially the dead one sign non-disclosure agreements. It's not like she could give assurances to the newer shows that she would be absolutely available. Who would willingly leaving a well paying confirmed regular gig to explore random unsure pilots?

Didn't the same thing happen for CD and ST, that because they were under contract they couldn't find new roles. I thought that was part of the reason ST had some issues with how they treated her when they let her go.

Regardless, I think my point was that I anticipate the con appearances will drop once another opportunity opens up. She's not going to the cons because she wants to be there, or at least that's the impression I get.

Isn't pilot season from January to April?

Didn't they  tell her she was the one dying only  around the time 416 was shooting/right before HVFF NJ? 

I thought she was let go this year because her contract was up at the end of this season? If it was up at the end of S3, why did you make us suffer another year, show? *shakes fist*

(edited)
11 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

I'm pretty certain she auditioned for a couple of the CBS-produced CW pilots, but I sort of can't divulge how I know this, so take it with all the grants of salt ever. [Sorry.]

That's enough for me. Thanks! I just wanted to make sure that there was at least a grain of salt and not just guessing or assuming.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

I'm pretty certain she auditioned for a couple of the CBS-produced CW pilots, but I sort of can't divulge how I know this, so take it with all the grants of salt ever. [Sorry.]

I lol'd at this because when I told my mom she was getting killed off my mom asked what CW show to expect her on. I didn't realize my mom paid that much attention. 

15 minutes ago, Trini said:

Fixed it!

Narratively it's up for interpretation but the character got more attention (and love) in death than she ever did in four years. I'm not sure that says anything too positive about her run. 

Either way, I hope she finds something to keep her out of the Flarrow universe. Best of luck to her. There is always Hallmark, Freeform and Lifetime movies. 

• Love 5