Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

11 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

yeah, i have no idea. i thought she was picked via the guy in Vancouver but, then someone linked me to Rapaport claiming he cast her.  i think this was around SJ HVFF or thatthat article he did about all the casting he's done for Arrow/CW

I remember that article. Who knows, probably he gets to take the credit because he is the official casting director.

They most likely tape auditions in Vancouver [where they are mostly casting glorified extras -- meaning characters that have actual lines, day-players, episode-only minor roles, etc]. The casting guy there does some pre-selection, and sends them to LA, so Rappaport [and probably also Berlanti] has the final say.

• Love 1

Yeah, in that article about Greg Berlanti - Producer of the Year - Rapaport was listed as part of his team. I think he's the casting director for all Berlanti shows?

Is he going to a lot of cons? I thought he just went to the HVFFs.

7 minutes ago, looptab said:

Yeah, in that article about Greg Berlanti - Producer of the Year - Rapaport was listed as part of his team. I think he's the casting director for all Berlanti shows?

Yes, but any show not shot in LA -- Rapaport needs a casting director on location. The dude up in Vancouver has cast pretty much every show up there since the mid 90s, so he surely knows everyone in town. That's extremely handy.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

Yes, but any show not shot in LA -- Rapaport needs a casting director on location. The dude up in Vancouver has cast pretty much every show up there since the mid 90s, so he surely knows everyone in town. That's extremely handy.

Yeah, I thought so. It's even in the final credits under "vancouver casting" or something like that.:)  My previous post was in answer to Tv echo about Rapaport being well-known - and I think you and I posted at the same time, which means I didn't read your other post until now, because the board hates me :)

• Love 1

You're right. Rapaport is just going to the HVFFs - I just kept seeing his name as a guest.  But he went to 1 HVFF in 2015 and he went/will go to 3 HVFFs in 2016.

• Love 1
(edited)

If Funko had no plans to make an updated BC figure when LL was still alive, why would they be expected to make it now that's she's dead dead dead? If they thought there would be a demand for that figure (and by demand I mean requests from big groups, not the same three people spamming them every time they had a Q&A) , or if there was a request by the WB/DC, they would have made it by now. They're a big business, not an Etsy retailer.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 9

I was surprised when she didn't get a Pop in the recent launch. Everyone else has one now. Kinda. Diggle's was a special limited release I believe. I need a Spartan.

Those responses have an interesting tone. 

#TeamSara = Sara is our Black Canary.

"Spamming won't make us more receptive. We've suggested it. It isn't our call." = We don't want to hear it. We tossed it out at a meeting. Don't bug us.

"The appropriate parties have been notified." = It went to the spam folder.

• Love 13
4 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I was surprised when she didn't get a Pop in the recent launch. Everyone else has one now. Kinda. Diggle's was a special limited release I believe. I need a Spartan.

Those responses have an interesting tone. 

#TeamSara = Sara is our Black Canary.

"Spamming won't make us more receptive. We've suggested it. It isn't our call." = We don't want to hear it. We tossed it out at a meeting. Don't bug us.

"The appropriate parties have been notified." = It went to the spam folder.

There's one response that sort of goes against the grain so IDK :p

(edited)

Did FunkoPop just totally come out as Team Sara? That's hilarious, someone in the media department (or the whole company) really has no effs to give at this point. I mean that's not even a diplomatic, "there isn't the market" that's "Sara is the true BC, screw LL"

Edited by TimetravellingBW

It'a super annoying how many times there is spam about Sara not being The Black Canary. It isn't going to change people's mind if they want to consider Sara a Black Canary. Marc's the only one who has made sure to reassure Laurel fans that Sara was just the Canary. And they eat that up even as they go at him for ruining "Error". 

• Love 1
On 5/23/2016 at 4:07 PM, Delphi said:

Yeah.  I'm lactose intolerant, and I've never said no to a piece of smoked gouda,  worth it every single time. 

while technically cheese is dairy based if I remember correctly the amount of lactose in high fat cheeses is far less than in milk..

can't remember the "how" reason right now.. and i'm too comfy in my bed to open up a nutrition book to research the answer.

On 5/23/2016 at 7:05 PM, kismet said:

Bummer that means I was too late too :(

Free Pizza sounded amazing. Cheese is like a gift from the gods, I feel bad for anyone who cannot eat it for medical reasons. I don't understand people who willing choose not to eat it. It's like people who willing avoid chocolate, just a little too bizarre.

As for gluten free, I don't have a recipe but I've heard people have had really good luck recreating pizza crust with mushed cauliflower. Apparently it requires refrigeration and a lot of squeezing out moisture.

*gasp!* blasphemy! what's the point! especially when one can make a perfectly gluten free curst by just using gluten free flour. (I highly recommend cup4cup!)

On 5/23/2016 at 8:05 PM, Sakura12 said:

I know there are people who can't have dairy, but there are people that are anti-dairy? (besides Vegans). 

Yep! on the nutrition side there are those who claim that drinking milk after a certain age isn't part of the natural consumption order for human beings, especially since we are supposed to stop drinking milk and move on to solid foods at some point (around when all our teethes are out if I remember correctly), so they claim that drinking milk - be it human breast milk let alone another animal milk after a certain point in our life is unnatural and our bodies, while adapted to a degree can and do easily fight against it.

I say, from my minimal nutritional knowledge, that if you are gonna be drinking milk (and if possible in your area) go the raw milk route and go with goat milk rather than cow milk, and get it from a small local farmer rather than a big brand from the supermarket- I think the "why" small and local over the big corporation is obvious.

4 minutes ago, tarotx said:

It'a super annoying how many times there is spam about Sara not being The Black Canary. It isn't going to change people's mind if they want to consider Sara a Black Canary. Marc's the only one who has made sure to reassure Laurel fans that Sara was just the Canary. And they eat that up even as they go at him for ruining "Error". 

As if that is something that hasn't been spammed both ways?

Just now, Primal Slayer said:

As if that is something that hasn't been spammed both ways?

Probably But Arrow's Sara deserves to be credited in the history of the Black Canary so I can't feel it's on the same level. I don't see Sara fans going at official sites and cast and crew the way any mention of Sara and Black Canary. I do admit to being pro Sara so I might not notice it as much. 

I don't know why anyone cares who is Black Canary and who's just the Canary...

It's just a name :p I mean I get that there's this huge comic history that goes behind it but the show isn't the comics. What matters is the legacy they create IN the show. Sara is creating her own legacy by being supremely badass and no title can change that. 

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

I don't know why anyone cares who is Black Canary and who's just the Canary...

It's just a name :p I mean I get that there's this huge comic history that goes behind it but the show isn't the comics. What matters is the legacy they create IN the show. Sara is creating her own legacy by being supremely badass and no title can change that. 

Because "Canary" is used to degrade Sara. As in She's just the Canary. Plus the Black Canary history deserves to include kick ass Arrow Sara. She just has such a weak live action history if Sara isn't included. Imo. Sara and the cartoons are just perfect female superheroes. 

(edited)
5 minutes ago, tarotx said:

Because "Canary" is used to degrade Sara. As in She's just the Canary. Plus the Black Canary history deserves to include kick ass Arrow Sara. She just has such a weak live action history if Sara isn't included. Imo. Sara and the cartoons are just perfect female superheroes. 

Well that's just silly considering Laurel had to basically take everything Sara earned, the Canary title, her clothes, her mask, her reputation on the streets, in order to become Black Canary. Without Sara, Laurel would've been nothing. She wouldn't have even been trained by Nyssa (who probably only gave Laurel the time of day because she was Sara's sister).

How can one degrade "The Canary" when if "The Canary" never existed, "Black Canary" on the show wouldn't have either? Because let's be real, Laurel was never 'destined' to be BC. She wasn't always headed towards the mask as she once pointed out.

And how can one degrade "The Canary" if she could beat BC in almost every single way? Let's be real. A Canary Vs BC showdown would've been an embarrassment for BC. It's not even a competition :p

This is why I always thought that titles never mattered. Because the title BC in the show means nothing. Especially when being BC meant that LL was relegated to the background and only used as extra muscle... BC on the show wasn't anything special.

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, tarotx said:

I get where you are coming from but I'm glad that distinction doesn't pop up for me.  When I hear "Canary" I think of it in the same way I do "Arrow", just the shortened version.  I'm at the point where "Black Canary" rings in my head as the weaker of the two since in practice, the Black Canary was the weaker of the two.  (Whereas "Green Arrow" is the same for me as "Arrow" since it's still Oliver.  I guess I do ding GA a bit for those shoulder pads clam shells though.)

• Love 7

I think other than the more hardcore fans no one makes a big deal out of calling Sara the Canary or the Black Canary as if one of the titles for her was offensive in a way or another. I mean, even GJ called her the BC at SDCC and there were two Black Canary in the comics. There it's mother and daughter, in Arrow it's two sisters. I don't know if in the show they called her the Canary to give her a title that was her own, not to create confusion amongst viewers or to try to avoid fans fighting but not adding the Black to her name doesn't change who the character was in her essence.

From a marketing POV I don't know how much sense it would make to have another Black Canary from the TV show, especially now that there's no Black Canary on Arrow anymore. It would make more sense to do a comics version if there's the demand for it IMO. But they also made two Speedy which makes zero sense to me, they are almost identical, so you never know.

• Love 1

I think because KC made it a bit of a Deal (at 2015 SDCC IIRC) "Black Canary" vs plain ol' "Canary" was meant to indicate the "true" comic destiny. IMO Sara was The Canary, and since 'Because Comics' isn't a good reason for plotiness in Arrow, for me, she is the definitive and superior Canary.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Genki said:

I think because KC made it a bit of a Deal (at 2015 SDCC IIRC) "Black Canary" vs plain ol' "Canary" was meant to indicate the "true" comic destiny. IMO Sara was The Canary, and since 'Because Comics' isn't a good reason for plotiness in Arrow, for me, she is the definitive and superior Canary.

I don't really follow what KC does but if she made a deal out of it I find it silly and having a narrow minded view. For me Sara is the Canary because that's the name that was used on the show but when she appeared it was clear she was an incarnation of the Black Canary, you can't ignore all the similarities IMO..so if someone calls her that I don't find it a big deal because that's what that character essentially was meant to be (and maybe would have been the official BC if she was received better and they didn't decide to give Laurel a try as the BC) but it's more correct to call her the Canary since that's the only name that was used on the show.

• Love 1
(edited)

Yeah, she did. She corrected DR in at least one interview where he referred to her character as Canary.

The really funny thing is, if you go back in time to S2 everyone referred to Sara as The Black Canary.  That SDCC you had SA do interviews claiming "we have the Black Canary". There were interviews with both MG and AJK in early S2 (as late as January for MG) where they called Sara BC. The change happened in March and over the Summer, probably when whatever happened made them decide to stick with KC/LL as BC. That's when the rhetoric changed and MG started claiming that they only ever called Sara Canary, no qualifier, etc.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 5

I've seen comic BC called the Canary or Canary sometimes. It's just a shortened version of her title. Which is basically the color of the costume she's wearing. 

They spent a lot of time and energy on Sara's story that it pissed off some viewers. That's probably why they figured it was dumb of them to toss her in the garbage and brought her back. They have their comic Black Canary, now just going by a different color. I think Sara's becoming more and more like the Black Canary I've seen in the cartoons. I don't care about names, Sara's the Black Canary for me. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Yeah, she did. She corrected DR in at least one interview where he referred to her character as Canary.

He looked not that amused to be corrected... 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

The really funny thing is, if you go back in time to S2 everyone referred to Sara as The Black Canary.  That SDCC you had SA do interviews claiming "we have the Black Canary". There were interviews with both MG and AJK in early S2 (as late as January for MG) where they called Sara BC. The change happened in March and over the Summer, probably when whatever happened made them decide to stick with KC/LL as BC. That's when the rhetoric changed and MG started claiming that they only ever called Sara Canary, no qualifier, etc.

It's not something I ever paid that much attention to, but I do remember  that in the interview with Ausiello at SDCC before s2, SA said that 'the new character' wasn't The Black Canary, but a character instrumental to the evolution of Black Canary. I don't know if elsewhere he said something else, though.

(I also feel like I've pointed this out before, if so, sorry for the repetition :) )

(edited)

He might have said that before he filmed with CL, then later on after Sara was part of the show for awhile SA said that he and Caity were playing the definite versions of Green Arrow and Black Canary. Then most everyone called her BC after that. Until they all of sudden had to correct themselves to say The Canary, because comics (or contracts).  

What remains for me is, Sara has more in common with comic BC than LL. Which is much more important to me than a name. 

To bring it back to the topic, I love that the Funko twitter handler came right out and said they were Team Sara. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 5
(edited)
18 minutes ago, looptab said:

It's not something I ever paid that much attention to, but I do remember  that in the interview with Ausiello at SDCC before s2, SA said that 'the new character' wasn't The Black Canary, but a character instrumental to the evolution of Black Canary. I don't know if elsewhere he said something else, though.

(I also feel like I've pointed this out before, if so, sorry for the repetition :) )

That was the Friday interview with Ausi when they were trying to downplay the leak from The Wrap.  This video was done right after the Panel/Sizzle Reel aired at SDCC.   Go to around the 45-50 second mark

Edited by Morrigan2575
(edited)

I'm kind of split on Sara's title. On one hand I don't think Sara needs the BC title to validate her: She stands up as a great character on her own merits and as a TV Arrow character removed from the comics history. Like a lot of posters here I dislike it when comics dictate the plot or comics are needed to justify/prop up what happens in the show. (Looking at you Laurel, the whole Ra plot, Oliver's new costume etc.) The BC title doesn't automatically make Sara's stronger or more awesome or more badass than she already is. 

On the other hand, I do sympathise with comic fans who want to see a beloved character - and the comics BC does sound like an awesome hero - represented on the show. So if you have a character who embodies the BC far more than Laurel - first name aside - then just give her the title. There are two comic BCs anyway. And more selfishly, I'm getting sick of complaints that the writers have trashed the comics/BC. If Sara is acknowledged as the BC then that undermines that argument - because the writers did give us a world class martial arts expert/defender of women/member of a team of heroes version of the Black Canary. So the complaints about destroying a comics character hold a lot less weight. (I don't care about comics but that seems like an easy way to shush the comics contingent.) 

Basically Laurel becoming BC was 100% Because Comics - within the context of the show and without comics knowledge it was inorganic and illogical. Sara's journey and skills worked in the show, so fitting that naturally with comics doesn't bug me.

Edited by TimetravellingBW
  • Love 16
(edited)

BTW - This is the interview MG gave in January 2014, right before the show came back from Winter Break.  http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=50293

In it he refers to Sara as The Black Canary.  Basically the whole Sara was only "The Canary" came from the LL/KC fans who needed to quantify LL's value in S2. LL/KC is THE Comic Book Black Canary, Sara was only the Canary, a place holder until LL would assume her rightful spot.

This was later (IMO) picked up by MG after the made the decision to keep KC/LL and kill Sara/CL off 

Obviously this is irrelevant at this point, KC/LL was killed off and Sara was made a hero/star of her own spinoff (she's definitely one of the main/lead characters).  However,  I like to keep the record straight because 1) MG pulling that that BS out in March-June 2014 pissed me off and 2) I want people who weren't a part of fandom during S2 to understand the origination of this whole "just the Canary" bullshit and why it annoys many Sara fans.  

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 8

I'm calling Sara Black Canary in my own head, she's the comic BC that I wanted to see on screen.

Then there is also the fact that Sara not being tied down to the comics means I don't have to worry about losing her to DC's completely "unconnected" movie universe when they want to use Black Canary. I'll get my awesome tv version of BC and see what the movies can do with the character. 

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

That was the Friday interview with Ausi when they were trying to downplay the leak from The Wrap.  This video was done right after the Panel/Sizzle Reel aired at SDCC.   Go to around the 45-50 second mark

Thank you, I had never seen this video. Well, then I agree that they were trying to downplay it - this was back when they still wanted to surprise the audience, lol . 

It's true that there was a shift at some point and they started pushing hard the idea of "legacy".

Also, I am amused at  Stephen saying that the show could be called "Canary", given the importance of the character.  I would have loved to see his reaction to that kind of shift happening - we are kinda seeing it now, with how much he is pushing for a back to the roots approach :)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, TimetravellingBW said:

On the other hand, I do sympathise with comic fans who want to see a beloved character - and the comics BC does sound like an awesome hero - represented on the show. So if you have a character who embodies the BC far more than Laurel - first name aside - then just give her the title. There are two comic BCs anyway. And more selfishly, I'm getting sick of complaints that the writers have trashed the comics/BC. If Sara is acknowledged as the BC then that undermines that argument - because the writers did give us a world class martial arts expert/defender of women/member of a team of heroes version of the Black Canary. So the complaints about destroying a comics character hold a lot less weight. (I don't care about comics but that seems like an easy way to shush the comics contingent.)

For me it's really super simple: before Arrow ever existed, I was a fan of the comic book Black Canary. Sara perfectly embodies the live action version of the BC for me, so she's my live action Black Canary.

Laurel, otoh, is basically the equivalent of some bird pooping on my Birds of Prey comic books.

• Love 16
4 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I suspect there were 2 big reasons: shipping (lots of people, mostly Olicity fans but probably Lauriver too complained about Oliver/Sara) and the network (which seems to have (or at least used to have) a relationship with KC and supported her. That's just my impression though. I do remember how abrupt was the change near the end of season 2 when Sara suddenly had a change of heart and happily went back to LoA (which made NO sense considering her character arc), and, of course, the infamous jacket scene with giddy Laurel (and giddy KC). And then last year (I think) MG mentioned that they got Sara hatemail during s2, and remembering that time and the posts on this very forum (or was it still TWOP? Not sure) lots of Olicity shippers voiced their dislike of Sara/Oliver which, for some more hardcore shippers, probably translated into Sara hate.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, FurryFury said:

I suspect there were 2 big reasons: shipping (lots of people, mostly Olicity fans but probably Lauriver too complained about Oliver/Sara) and the network (which seems to have (or at least used to have) a relationship with KC and supported her. That's just my impression though. I do remember how abrupt was the change near the end of season 2 when Sara suddenly had a change of heart and happily went back to LoA (which made NO sense considering her character arc), and, of course, the infamous jacket scene with giddy Laurel (and giddy KC). And then last year (I think) MG mentioned that they got Sara hatemail during s2, and remembering that time and the posts on this very forum (or was it still TWOP? Not sure) lots of Olicity shippers voiced their dislike of Sara/Oliver which, for some more hardcore shippers, probably translated into Sara hate.

He said he got hate email because they didn't make Laurel Black Canary right away.

• Love 1
(edited)

It's funny because as much as I'm an Olicity shipper I've always loved Sara also. I wasn't a fan of them having her hook up with Oliver tho, the whole sisters things always bugged me.

Edited by Thundercatmary
  • Love 14

I remember complaining in the back mid half of season 2 that Sara was everywhere to the exclusion of anyone on the team but Oliver (and it was both TWoP & Previously as of the end of March).  Diggle and Felicity and Roy just vanished.  I loved Sara but it became a different show.   I didn't mind that Sara and Oliver hooked up because it made sense as an interim relationship, but I hated that they just seemed to stop writing for the others.  Or wrote really badly (though after much reflection I don't think Time of Death was as bad as people make out) 

• Love 13
(edited)

I'm an Olicity shipper and I couldn't care less that Sara and Oliver hooked up. I wasn't online and watching it without reading people's opinions it was clear to me it was temporary and they gave me a good friends/team mates vibe that I liked anyway. My only problem with Sara was that having her on the team meant Dig being sidelined, same thing that happened with Laurel on the team in S3 so I'm more than fine with her being on another show even if I didn't mind the character and have always thought she was better than Laurel in everything. She had a better backstory, superior skills, a better dynamic with the team.

Edited by Midnight Lullaby
  • Love 13
22 minutes ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

I'm an Olicity shipper and I couldn't care less that Sara and Oliver hooked up. I wasn't online and watching it without reading people's opinions it was clear to me it was temporary and they gave me a good friends/team mates vibe that I liked anyway. My only problem with Sara was that having her on the team meant Dig being sidelined, same thing that happened with Laurel on the team in S3 so I'm more than fine with her being on another show even if I didn't mind the character and have always thought she was better than Laurel in everything. She had a better backstory, superior skills, a better dynamic with the team.

I'm also an Olicity shipper now, but wasn't then because I wasn't even familiar with the term shipping.  I enjoyed Oliver and Felicity's dynamic and "awwwed" at all the right places, but I also loved Sara and wasn't bothered by her relationship with Oliver.  She came on the scene like a bad ass, and she and Oliver had survived crazy, traumatic stuff together, so they made sense to me.  I felt like her introduction was to solidify his turn away from Laurel because she seemed more suited to be Oliver's partner than Laurel ever did.  

I also prefer CL over KC and think CL has always stayed above the Canary vs. Black Canary fray, at least publicly and/or on social media.  I know she has a lot of fans on here, myself included, but I'm not aware of her fans ever facing off against other groups on social media like the opposing camps that have become entrenched around Felicity and Laurel.

• Love 2