Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

(edited)

FTR I have no problem with SA's interviews. I love that he is saying what he wants to say. I just wonder what the CW/TPTB will think when they rewind it back.

What he wants for Arrow is generally what I want for Arrow. As for talking to the EPs, I hope it works out better than the last time they took SAs advice. Because OQ as a father with an offscreen child would have been a really interesting story from my perspective. I was excited to see OQ as a father - especially if we could shuffle the kid offscreen and only bring him out occasionally. And then MG & co got their melodramatic hands on it. :(

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1

I agree, I think in general SA has a good feel for what works on the show and what doesn't, in terms of more OTA, organic Olicity, better stunts and more grounded storylines. (I remember after Sara's death, there was an interview where he said he read the script, and then went to the writers. "Uh, are you sure you want to do this?" Which seemed like a diplomatic way of saying "this is TERRIBLE idea, what are you thinking?!" So at least he worked out that was an awful move.) 

Obviously I disagree with his "BMD was the best story ever!!" but he seems to have originally pitched the story as a more meaningful development of Oliver bonding with William, then the writers turned into into a soap opera to break up Olicity. (And he tried to soften things by making Oliver lie by omission rather than outright.) And now he's clinging to it because of stubbornness/he loves fatherhood. But as a whole, he has pretty good instincts for what works, and is connected with the fans POV. 

• Love 16
(edited)
17 hours ago, TimetravellingBW said:

Obviously I disagree with his "BMD was the best story ever!!" but he seems to have originally pitched the story as a more meaningful development of Oliver bonding with William, then the writers turned into into a soap opera to break up Olicity. (And he tried to soften things by making Oliver lie by omission rather than outright.) And now he's clinging to it because of stubbornness/he loves fatherhood. But as a whole, he has pretty good instincts for what works, and is connected with the fans POV. 

I've seen this a lot lately, and for the record, Oliver didn't lie by omission, and SA didn't think he did. The original script included a bald-faced lie, something like what he said in the original timeline ("I was having Barry check DNA bc I had a lead on Darhk" for example). SA ARGUED for Oliver to lie by omission and he said he didn't get his way. Oliver saying "It doesn't matter," and "It's over," is NOT a lie of omission. It is a lie of commission, just arguably not as bad as the original scripted lie.

A good example of a lie of omission would be if he told Felicity he was shaken by seeing someone he'd had a fling with when he was dating Laurel, which reminded him of how awful Ollie was...leaving out the whole dumb kid thing. THAT would be a lie of omission. However, saying "it's over" and "it doesn't matter," when it WASN'T over (he told the dumb kid he'd be back) and it DID matter (he expected Felicity to break up with him over it, meaning he very well knew it mattered to her, which he made clear he knew, see his later guilt to Thea about it), is absolutely a lie of commission. Two lies of commission, actually.

Edited by AyChihuahua
to substitute better example of a lie of omission
  • Love 9
9 hours ago, Artsda said:

Why is Vixen there? MB is there for Supergirl.

I keep on expecting that they will move her to LoT.  But it probably was just for the diversity. Same for the other guys from Flash. 

8 hours ago, lemotomato said:

I'm probably just projecting my disgruntledness, but SA looks like this in most of the pics I've seen of the event (not really smiling while everyone else around him is grinning):

Ci1GGk2WgAAytm4.jpg:large

All three (SA, GG, and MB) look like they need more rest but GG and MB to me also look skinnier than I've ever seen either of them.  GG especially.  Maybe it's the scruff.  I don't think it's his best look. 

2 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

All three (SA, GG, and MB) look like they need more rest but GG and MB to me also look skinnier than I've ever seen either of them.  GG especially.  Maybe it's the scruff.  I don't think it's his best look. 

That's because he can't seem to grow scruff. All I see is an ugly mustache. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

seems no #Arrow cast at the upfronts party

I assumed EBR was there by the pic Candice King posted.

13108716_245455399155419_1221607968_n.jp

And after the party it's the pajama party... #squad #aboutlastnight

(edited)

@bijoux, I saw that pic floating around earlier in the day. I think it's from last night after the musical. EBR's friend Jarett posted a snapchat of them and Fanta on a boat this afternoon, though.

Also: DR was in LA

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 3
(edited)
29 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

seems no #Arrow cast at the upfronts party

Huh. So Danielle was also in NYC. I wonder if the Flarrow women and Echo K knew all along they weren't going to be invited to Upfronts and they decided to stay for the parties anyway or if it was a last minute decision to not invite them. And then EBR and Echo K apparently didn't go to the parties.

I felt bad for SA in this one. Symbolic of how his show is treated by the network

Ci4FZtWU4AA4l3Q.jpg

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 2

1) We should petition for DR to keep his scruff all year;

2) Stephen looks really constipated. Maybe it was all the traveling;

3) Caity has a lovely smile, but what the hell is she wearing?

4) Stuff like what just happened at the Upfronts is made for conspiracy theories :D

• Love 5

I know its disappointing and disrespectful in some ways for the CW to not invite more of the Arrow Cast, but I think EBR & Echo got the better end of the deal by getting to see Hamilton on Broadway.

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, kismet said:

I know its disappointing and disrespectful in some ways for the CW to not invite more of the Arrow Cast, but I think EBR & Echo got the better end of the deal by getting to see Hamilton on Broadway.

I think they went to see Hamilton the night before the upfronts.  

Was it the TMNT2 premiere?

Maybe I was mistaken, I thought people mentioned SA had to go to something like that.  Maybe it was just a press junket for the movie.  I don't have hard core details, lol. 

1 hour ago, looptab said:

1) We should petition for DR to keep his scruff all year;

2) Stephen looks really constipated. Maybe it was all the traveling;

3) Caity has a lovely smile, but what the hell is she wearing?

4) Stuff like what just happened at the Upfronts is made for conspiracy theories :D

5) I don't watch either of their shows but BR and DP look good next to each other. And their characters have messed up enough romantic histories that they may be kind to each other.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, thegirlsleuth said:

I think they went to see Hamilton the night before the upfronts.  

Yes, but I just meant in general their trip to NYC for Hamilton is far better fun than the Upfronts.

• Love 4

I am finding Caity Lotz's fashion choices questionable.  I think she's going for some sort of boho glam thing, but things don't fit well, which I remember being a problem last year, too.  That green fuzzy thing is hideous.

Considering the look Mr. Stephen "I have so little poker face it's a wonder I'm even an actor" Amell had on his face at upfronts, I have the sense that something went down with the Arrow presence and that he didn't like it.  You could argue that he was tired or hates red carpets, but he usually rouses himself as captain of the Arrow ship.  

• Love 14

Yeah Stephen doesn't look super thrilled to be there but who knows like you said other things could be going on.

Also I don't really know how these things work but it seems like such a big mistake for EBR to not be there. My personal bias aside (I adore EBR) she seems very personable and outgoing, like a great "ambassador" for the show if you will.   

• Love 10

I watched the TMNT cartoon religiously when I was a child, my grandmother would always buy me all the episodes on VHS even though she didn't know why I like the show so much and I owned all the action figures. I even bought the original 3 movies on DVD a couple years ago. They don't hold up to time but I still enjoy them.

The first one was okay if you pretend it had nothing to do with the cartoon and comics. It was basically Transformers with Mutant Turtles. This one actually has characters from the cartoon/comics, which is the only thing it has going for it. However it's a Redbox/Netflix movie for me just like the first one. 

• Love 1

I'm happy for him getting a movie. And the ads have had a surprisingly large amount of him in them, which makes me think they are pretty happy with his performance. I mean, no way in hell am I going to see it, but still happy for him...and maybe when it comes out on Hulu or whatever I'll watch his scenes.

So, Brandon Routh is high as hell in all those pictures, yes?

Yeah I suspect the review embargo has more to do with the fact that critics always hate Michael Bay movies so they push them off as long as possible rather than it being indicative of whether it's good/will do well.

37 minutes ago, AyChihuahua said:

It's a Michael Bay movie, isn't it? Isn't the rule of every Michael Bay movie that it will totally suck, but it will also make plenty of money?

pretty much :-)

• Love 2
1 minute ago, lemotomato said:

Michael Bay is a producer, not the director, so he might not have as much direct influence on the movie. 

I think he's terrible as a producer and a director and a writer and any other roles he takes on. But I think basically once "Michael Bay" is stamped on a loud obnoxious eyeball-damaging ridiculously-frenetic poorly-plotted cinematic turd...it's nearly guaranteed decent box office. Especially internationally.

• Love 3
(edited)
28 minutes ago, NumberCruncher said:

Yeah I suspect the review embargo has more to do with the fact that critics always hate Michael Bay movies so they push them off as long as possible rather than it being indicative of whether it's good/will do well.

I mean, this is true insofar as the reason studios push a very late embargo date is if they think the movie is going to get bad reviews. If they think it will get decent-to-good reviews, they will go for an earlier date in order to build word-of-mouth. IMO, this isn't a matter of Michael Bay = Late Embargo Date, as much as it is Michael Bay --> Made a Bad Movie --> Late Embargo Date. And yeah, reviews are not often predictive of box office. I'm sure the studio already has a decent idea of what the movie will make based on the first one and on whatever they predict from their competition.

Edited by Carrie Ann
6 minutes ago, AyChihuahua said:

I think he's terrible as a producer and a director and a writer and any other roles he takes on. But I think basically once "Michael Bay" is stamped on a loud obnoxious eyeball-damaging ridiculously-frenetic poorly-plotted cinematic turd...it's nearly guaranteed decent box office. Especially internationally.

Oh, I'm sure TMNT 2 isn't going to be a good movie. I was just thinking at least Bay isn't the director, so at least there's no 360-degree spin shot + lens flare, the slo-mo with the American flag in the background, and the 3 hour run time.

• Love 6
(edited)

The CW's poor treatment of Arrow just makes me not want to watch their three other superhero shows (Flash, LoT, Supergirl) next season.

It's like if a family has four children and one is treated like a king, two are treated like princesses, and the fourth is treated like a poor relation - well then, I'm going to want to give attention to the neglected child.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 18
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

The CW's poor treatment of Arrow just makes me not want to watch their three other superhero shows (Flash, LoT, Supergirl) next season.

It's like if a family has four children and one is treated like a king, two are treated like princesses, and the fourth is treated like a poor relation - well then, I'm going to want to give attention to the neglected child.

Admittedly I can be pretty mean-spirited, and I'm also not interested in any of the other three shows (have given all three a fair shot), so LoT's comparative failure fills me with joy, and if Supergirl fails as well, I will be totally entertained. Not by the show, obviously, bc I think it kind of sucks, but by them building crap on the foundation of Arrow and lauding the crap while dissing the foundation.

I think The Flash, for all its IMO boring repetitive "Run Barry, run, no really, faster, seriously, run faster" crap will continue to do well in the ratings.

I think I saw somewhere that the last TMNT made almost a half a billion dollars, so I'd be pretty surprised if this one tanked at the Box Office. Also, since it's a movie about ninja turtles that's essentially meant for kids . . . I don't know that bad reviews from adults is going have any effect on whether or not large amounts of people go to see the movie or not? Tbh, it's probably about as close to a sure thing as you can get money-wise, which is all movie making people will care about at the end of the day.

• Love 7

Anyone else follow Caity on snapchat?   Literally every other outfit she was wearing was nice, so I have no Idea what was up with that MTV music awards ensemble. 

(edited)
On 5/19/2016 at 0:42 PM, dtissagirl said:

If Megalyn hadn't been there, it would have been a great display of the very very white superpowered people of the DCTV.

Ci1GiM6XAAAd6eK.jpg

Here's another pic where SA appears to be grimacing smiling...

upfrontsdcstars.jpg?w=670&h=377&crop=1

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
(edited)

And here's the Variety article that goes with the above pic...

10 Things We Learned From the CW Upfront Presentation
Cynthia Littleton MAY 19, 2016 | 10:03AM PT
http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/cw-supergirl-season-2-crossover-the-flash-arrow-1201778750/

“We know our brand. We know what works for us,” CW president Mark Pedowitz said to the roomful of media buyers at Manhattan’s City Center.
CW is becoming a man cave. Pedowitz and ad sales chief Rob Tuck emphasized that the network has become essentially evenly balanced between female and male viewers (51% to 49%). Five years ago, when Pedowitz signed on, the strategy was very different and the net was 70% femme.

CW also has a real series bench, thanks to the DC Comics vault and its success in expanding with its unique brand of hourlong comedies. “We are fulfilling our mission as a broadcaster with series that appeal to a wide range of demographics,” Pedowitz said. “We have build a framework of quality scripted series on every night of the week.
At first blush Pedowitz’s boast that CW is the most “critically acclaimed network” sounded as far-fetched as some of the viewership stats thrown around by other networks. But after thinking about it, he just might be right. Between the affection for “Jane the Virgin” and “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend” and the respect for the world of “The Flash” and “Arrow,” maybe that’s not such a crazy claim.

“Crazy Ex” star Rachel Bloom and “Jane’s” Gina Rodriguez talked up the CW’s high volume of female showrunners. Noting the general trend in the industry Bloom exclaimed: “I don’t know why it’s taken this long ’cause we’re like 51% of the Earth.”
CW plans to get plenty mileage out of Facebook Live for fan chat events in the fall.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Thanks for the demo infor, looks like they managed to get to a healthy split in the male/female demo.

I just wish they'd cool it on the DC/Berlanti shows, they need to maintain balance and right now they're well on their way to becoming a niche market, which is ultimately doomed to fail.

• Love 4
(edited)

This is interesting, although I'm not sure what "marketer spend" means (I think it means what the companies - the "marketers" - are spending to advertise during that show)...

Upfronts Spotlight: AT&T, Ford Among Top Marketers on The CW
5/19/2016 01:25:00 PM Eastern
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/currency/upfronts-spotlight-att-ford-among-top-marketers-cw/156662

The 10 top spending marketers/brands on The CW over the last two quarters (Oct. 1, 2015-March 31, 2016) are: AT&T, Ford, Target, MetroPCS, Apple iPhone, Old Navy, Warner Bros., T-Mobile, Verizon and Campbell’s Soup.

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-19%20at%2010.25.

Also over the last two quarters, The CW’s five top shows ranked by marketer spend: Supernatural, Arrow, The Flash, The Originals and The Vampire Diaries.

Screen%20Shot%202016-05-19%20at%2010.25.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2