Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

I'm not going to come for you. Your feelings are your own. I just don't feel comfortable discussing the casts personal relationships. Cast interactions and their relationships I'm cool with. Family stuff? Not so much.

That's just me.

• Love 16

Tbh I don't care about their marriage... If they're happy more power to them. If they aren't then I hope they find happiness somehow. 

In the end it's none of my business *shrugs*

But I gotta admit the "So There" part of it makes me believe he probably read something trashy lol. Regardless, that was a lovely message to his wife. SA is rather good with words when he wants to be which is impressive considering he didn't go to college

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 3

I just don't feel comfortable discussing the casts personal relationships. Cast interactions and their relationships I'm cool with. Family stuff? Not so much.

That's just me.

Not just you. I feel the same way.

• Love 3

I wasn't trying to make anyone uncomfortable. I was expressing my feelings and instincts. From Stephen's words and how I interpreted them (along with some previous observations & feelings I have) I put those feelings and instincts into print in this forum. Again, my intent was not to make anyone uncomfortable but to share my thoughts and nothing more. 

• Love 2

He probably read some fan comments like "Stephen has more chemistry with Emily than he does his wife". I read some pretty questionable stuff with people shipping real people who are not a couple in real life. 

As for Stephen's relationship with his wife, imo they seem cool but I don't know her enough to judge what she's comfortable with publicly. Even small time it's hard being in a relationship in the public and when one is half a very social media shipped tv couple I can imagine how awkward it can get at times. 

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 4

I couldn't care less about SA's marriage tbh because it's none of my business and I'd rather talk about Olicity. LOL. But trash/RL shipping comes with the territory so he shouldn't let it get to him. It happens with literally every single show. Remember DD and GA from The X Files? People were always RL shipping that. This isn't a new thing. Letting it get to him enough to post a sweet and yet slightly heavy handed comment on Facebook is pointless but then he does get worked up about dumb things all the time. (And that's if it's his reason for posting. He could just be posting a nice comment for their anniversary. The 'so there' made me think otherwise though.)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Guest

We aren't ever going to know all that goes on in a private relationship of even our personal friends or family so I agree, it's pointless to speculate when someone seems to be trying to keep that part of his private life private, lol.  Kids are easier to gush about and harder not to share  cute stories about so nothing has seemed odd to me.   

I do though really hate when people I follow on Instagram or Tumblr tag ever glorious pic of our Oliver and Felicity as #Stemily.  Wrong on so many levels.  I do want them to be friendly in real life but the RLS just messes everything up. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 6

I don't see the harm in a little speculation considering he did post a rather personal message about his wife on social media. Seems fair game to me. 

I don't see the harm in a little speculation considering he did post a rather personal message about his wife on social media. Seems fair game to me. 

The “so there” seemed a little unnecessary. But who knows who it was being reference to? I honestly could care less about his marriage on a personal level. They definitely have some beautiful real estate and an adorable looking daughter.  I hope it’s a happy marriage, because I think everyone deserves happiness. I am sort of curious why he feels the need to defend it so often. Then again, it seems like SA is just one of those people that one thing gets under his skin and then he feels the need to social media purge his thoughts on it for good or for bad. So who know what triggered this post. It could have just been an anniversary thing.

The only thing I am absolutely beyond curious about if I ever met them would be if they ever discuss her quitting ANTM. Because if I met her, there is no way I could not ask her why she quit the show over a Pixie haircut that looked good on her. Everyone knows they cut your hair; it is part of what you sign up for. She didn’t even wait to see how it looks like in pics before she left. I will say she is memorable as a result of her decision, except now I only think of her as a quitter. It really perplexed me then why she would quit and I guess the mystery continues.

I think it's a nice message.

I'm not suprised at it either. There has been some genuinely gross stuff directed at his wife over the last couple of weeks (with him, Emily and his wife tagged in the posts), especially after those pap pics of him and his family came out. Just today I saw some recent real life photo manips of him and Emily using their separate vacation pics - basically cutting out his wife and sticking her in or sticking him into some of her pics - that I wish I could unsee.

I love Emily's cover-up, she has really great beach fashion. Also, I am very jealous of all these vacation pics various Arrow cast members have been posting.

• Love 4

I'm sure it's difficult, but he and his family would do well to learn to ignore that stuff, because blatantly addressing it like he did is only going to make it worse. And he should probably learn that it's not going to go away regardless of what show/movie he's in. When TMNT comes out, there are going to be people shipping him with Megan Fox, and when Arrow's over, if and when he's the romantic lead in something else, there are going to be people shipping him with that person, too. It's one of those things he needs to learn to put in a bubble and blow away. 

• Love 10

If the So There is a passive aggressive jab at RL shippers, I have to roll my eyes. RL shipping is normal in fandoms. Do people take it way too far? Yep, but it is what it is. He should just ignore it not poke the bear.

• Love 1

I've said this before, but the dude is a human being. Should he ignore all that stuff? Sure, and he probably does most of the time, but I don't think it's surprising that every once in awhile he responds.

• Love 6

I haven't seen many pap pics of Stephen and his family. Seem like most of the mid-season break vacation attention has been directed at Emily and the company she is keeping. I think I saw a few pictures of Stephen on the beach with his daughter and maybe two of him with his wife.

I think currently more paparazzi are interested in Emily. I could be wrong but I don't think I am.

If the So There is a passive aggressive jab at RL shippers, I have to roll my eyes. RL shipping is normal in fandoms. Do people take it way too far? Yep, but it is what it is. He should just ignore it not poke the bear.

The "So there" HAS to be a dig at RL shippers/critics of his marriage. I can't imagine how exhausting it must be for him to be all pissed off and defensive about all the gross tweets about him on various subjects. I totally don't know why he even reads them.

On the other hand, looking forward to his breakdown when the terribad TMNT2 reviews come out. Especially if they single his performance out for criticism.

• Love 1

I've said this before, but the dude is a human being. Should he ignore all that stuff? Sure, and he probably does most of the time, but I don't think it's surprising that every once in awhile he responds.

I don't think it's surprising, and I never said it shouldn't upset him. Hopefully that post made him feel better, because it certainly isn't going to stop whoever/whatever it was that made him feel like he needed to make it in the first place. I just think it would lead to a much less stressful life to accept and ignore it, because it isn't going to go away. Just MHO.

• Love 7

I feel like I should put a disclaimer and say I'm not a RL/trash shipper but I also don't see what the big deal is? I think drawing attention to it makes it a bigger deal than it is. He's married and if he's as happily married as he says then it should be a non-issue. Sure, dude is human but as I said before, RL shipping happens with every show/movie and it will never stop so he should just ignore it and get on with his life. Because his 'So there' comment just turned a sweet post about his wife into a dig at trash shippers and probably gave it more attention than they deserve. Just let it go dude. 

Edited by Guest

I think EBR & KC were in Miami and SA was in St. Bart's. So I think it is just a matter of there being more paps available in Miami than St. Bart's.

That being said, I'm just really envious of all this beach time. I spent my holiday break shoveling and bundling. No beach frolicking for me. :(

I haven't seen many pap pics of Stephen and his family. Seem like most of the mid-season break vacation attention has been directed at Emily and the company she is keeping. I think I saw a few pictures of Stephen on the beach with his daughter and maybe two of him with his wife.

I think currently more paparazzi are interested in Emily. I could be wrong but I don't think I am.

• Love 1

I've seen real life shipping in other fandoms, but this is the first one I've been in where people actually send hateful stuff to the person-in-question's spouse/significant other. I think it must be pretty difficult to have to 'get used' to people saying nasty stuff about the people you care about.

• Love 1

I'm sure it is, but posting messages like he did is going to stop exactly none of that, and possibly make whatever's happening that made him upset even worse. Unfortunately, people tag spouses all the time. An IG post isn't going to deter those people.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 1

I must be fortunate enough to not see these things. Does his wife have a Twitter account or do they say the mean things to Stephen? I'm sure every actor at some point have read negative comments, reviews, critiques or whatever addressed to them, do people really go that far to include the actors significant other. I don't delve into actors accounts or things that deeply.  I have seen people post on Twitter who follows who and going into their Instagram account to see who comments or likes what they post. I have never felt the desire to get that involved. I do however may comment on what they post. Where are these negative comments usually posted? I have seen some manips but I thought they were mostly harmless since they're usually on Tumblr.

I must be fortunate enough to not see these things. Does his wife have a Twitter account or do they say the mean things to Stephen? I'm sure every actor at some point have read negative comments, reviews, critiques or whatever addressed to them, do people really go that far to include the actors significant other. I don't delve into actors accounts or things that deeply.  I have seen people post on Twitter who follows who and going into their Instagram account to see who comments or likes what they post. I have never felt the desire to get that involved. I do however may comment on what they post. Where are these negative comments usually posted? I have seen some manips but I thought they were mostly harmless since they're usually on Tumblr.

Unfortunately this stuff popped up on my Twitter timeline after being 'quoted' and/or retweeted by others. I didn't go down the rabbit-hole any farther than seeing it there, that was more than enough for me.

Just checked my Twitter page and people are using #SoThere to post some of the RL shipping trash and pics that they feel highlight a connection between SA & EBR IRL, if people wanted to look.

For me the funny thing is that I can see him falling for EBR, bc from what I can see of her, who wouldn't?  But, I can't see her falling for him. He's like 10 years older and a total dudebro with a wife and kid.  And a mustache. 

• Love 6

I think it's a nice message.

I'm not suprised at it either. There has been some genuinely gross stuff directed at his wife over the last couple of weeks (with him, Emily and his wife tagged in the posts), especially after those pap pics of him and his family came out. Just today I saw some recent real life photo manips of him and Emily using their separate vacation pics - basically cutting out his wife and sticking her in or sticking him into some of her pics - that I wish I could unsee.

I have no problem with taking real life pics and pretending it's Felicity and Oliver,  but don't tag the real people!

I'm sure it's difficult, but he and his family would do well to learn to ignore that stuff, because blatantly addressing it like he did is only going to make it worse. And he should probably learn that it's not going to go away regardless of what show/movie he's in. When TMNT comes out, there are going to be people shipping him with Megan Fox, and when Arrow's over, if and when he's the romantic lead in something else, there are going to be people shipping him with that person, too. It's one of those things he needs to learn to put in a bubble and blow away. 

I'm looking forward to him getting shipped with MF.  Maybe having another fandom targeting him with someone besides his wife will make the RLS feel less like a personal attack. 

I feel like I should put a disclaimer and say I'm not a RL/trash shipper but I also don't see what the big deal is? I think drawing attention to it makes it a bigger deal than it is. He's married and if he's as happily married as he says then it should be a non-issue. Sure, dude is human but as I said before, RL shipping happens with every show/movie and it will never stop so he should just ignore it and get on with his life. Because his 'So there' comment just turned a sweet post about his wife into a dig at trash shippers and probably gave it more attention than they deserve. Just let it go dude. 

In the long run the real harm comes when the actors feel they have to change their behavior so the RLS fire don't get fueled.  Anytime they stifle their natural reaction it reduces the fan experience but also I've seen where it creeps into on screen stuff and starts messing with the show too.  That's why I get so up in arms about it. 

For me the funny thing is that I can see him falling for EBR, bc from what I can see of her, who wouldn't?  But, I can't see her falling for him. He's like 10 years older and a total dudebro with a wife and kid.  And a mustache. 

Ha!  I was thinking the very same thing.  They are in totally different times in their lives. 

• Love 3

In the long run the real harm comes when the actors feel they have to change their behavior so the RLS fire don't get fueled.  Anytime they stifle their natural reaction it reduces the fan experience but also I've seen where it creeps into on screen stuff and starts messing with the show too.  That's why I get so up in arms about it. 

I've wondered if this may be why they don't really interact much on social media anymore. It seems like they used to do little videos and take pics bts more frequently - mostly in s2ish - but it's like a special occasion when they do it now.

• Love 1

Regardless, that was a lovely message to his wife. SA is rather good with words when he wants to be which is impressive considering he didn't go to college

I thought it was a cute message, too, and didn't think much about it since I had two RL Facebook friends make the same type of declaration to their spouses for their anniversaries this week. But dude is the defensive sort, so I wouldn't be surprised if he'd read something that set him off. I think SA is a great writer. I know he went to some prep school so it must have had some excellent teachers. His blog of yore was hilarious and amazing. 

That being said, I'm just really envious of all this beach time. I spent my holiday break shoveling and bundling. No beach frolicking for me. :(

I don't even like the beach. I'm more of a cabin in the middle of a snowy woods girl, but all these celebs posting beach pics makes me want to travel and hang out in Hawaii or Miami or the Caribbean. Why am I so poor? (Oh yeah, my job pays very little.)

Edited by calliope1975

"In the long run the real harm comes when the actors feel they have to change their behavior so the RLS fire don't get fueled.  Anytime they stifle their natural reaction it reduces the fan experience but also I've seen where it creeps into on screen stuff and starts messing with the show too.  That's why I get so up in arms about it." (Quote from BkWurm1)

I really hope he doesn't let this spill over into his scenes with Emily. They have such natural chemistry and work so well together. It would be a real disservice if the comments and actions of a few destroy a beautiful fictional relationship. I hope that doesn't happen. So much focus of Arrow is centered around them as a couple. The show is STILL VERY MUCH about Oliver's journey but so many fans want to see Felicity arrive at the end of his journey with him. 

Hopefully he (and if its effecting his wife, her too) can come to grips with this is what happens when you become part of a popular couple and there is no doubt that he and Felicity (Olicity) is a extremely popular couple with the media. 

This must be the first time he has been on a show were he has had a long term relationship with a female cast member. Plus being the leading man he is going to get a lot of attention. No one was going all shipper crazy with the other relationships on the show I guess cause they didn't last that long. But it can't be easy for him or his wife when even GBerlanti , AK, and MG were talking about the chemistry between them and if in RL they would wonder why they weren't together. Plus when things like this pop up (not saying these looks mean anything)

CXrSKXpWcAAH71V.jpg

and this

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CXrSQLjWkAA8coT.mp4

Of course people are going to talk. Think I've rambled on enough.

Edited by Ann Mack

Plus when things like this pop up (not saying these looks mean anything)

I feel like SA has a bit of a crush on Felicity, for sure. That could at least translate into a bit of a crush on EBR. That doesn't have to be a big bad thing as long as everyone behaves, which it really seems like they have. And seriously, EBR is adorable and seems really sweet and smart and fun. I'm a straight chick and I have a crush on her. I'm quite positive I would make major googly eyes at her if given the chance.

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 2

I have yet to meet a person who irl who has seen ebr who doesn't have a crush on her...male, female or 9 (my son lol).

I am glad Stephen defends his wife. The whole irl shipping is bad enough, but people on this fandom can be downright awful about her and to me, that's way over the top.

• Love 4

Count me in for the #Don'tcareabouthismarriage though I only know his wife from her awful time on Americas Next Top Model so that is the only impression I have of her and she seems like a type Amell would go for so no surprise there. But it's hard to say anything about how much chemistry he has with his wife since we don't see them for 40mins on a weekly basis, just through the occasional picture which tumblr/twitter/IG seems to forget.

I can only imagine what the Buffyverse life would be like in todays day/age.

I wonder if someone made a comment about SA posting so many pictures of him and his daughter and so few of him and his wife. Well, someone's got to be taking those pictures at their home.  Also, not being a Kardashian, why would he even want to post pictures of his marriage?

I hate RL shipping.  The character aren't the actors.  They speak words written for them by someone else.

If I were going to make a comment, I'd wonder why EBR, who is so gorgeous and smart, is single. It seems like SA gets a lot of questions at cons from guys who want to date her (or maybe Felicity) and yet she seems to be perpetually single.

• Love 1

I've gotten to the point where RL shipping doesn't bother me. If they want, why not? At least I get cute gifs out of it. My problem is with those that send hate or harass the actors. As long as it's within the community, I'm good with it.

• Love 2

I've gotten to the point where RL shipping doesn't bother me. If they want, why not? At least I get cute gifs out of it. My problem is with those that send hate or harass the actors. As long as it's within the community, I'm good with it.

I think being a Supernatural fan has made me much more tolerant of RL shipping what with J2 and Cockles. I try very hard to ignore the chemistry between Stephen and Emily but those idiots make it hard LOL.

If I were going to make a comment, I'd wonder why EBR, who is so gorgeous and smart, is single. It seems like SA gets a lot of questions at cons from guys who want to date her (or maybe Felicity) and yet she seems to be perpetually single.

I imagine because she wants to be. Much like SA wants to be married to his wife. These aren't really interesting matters, to be honest.

I have no problem with taking real life pics and pretending it's Felicity and Oliver,  but don't tag the real people!

Pretty much this. I fully expected manips and hey, look at Oliver and Felicity frolicking in Bali. A photo of EBR smiling and hugging a guy seems ripe for the picking. That seems like harmless, silly fun to me. However, I'm not gonna pretend that I don't find that being applied to real people kinda gross.

I think being a Supernatural fan has made me much more tolerant of RL shipping what with J2 and Cockles.

Cockles? Do I want to know? :)

• Love 2

That portmanteau is disturbing and brilliant.

Isn't it? I wish I could say I made it up, but I did not.  The alternate to J2 is Padackles. Then there is Padalecki and Amell with  Padamell or Amellecki....I wish I didn't know these things. LOL

• Love 1

Actually I think SPN has made me less tolerant of RL shipping. I was, well, appalled is too mild a word, when I discovered the spn_gossip comm. I don't mind people enjoying the actors' chemistry, but when it gets into tinhatting, doubting the veracity of their existing relationships, and sending hate to the actors' spouses/significant others....I have no patience or tolerance for that kind of nonsense.

I don't get the impression that J2 are particularly bothered the RPS considering how much they joke about it at cons now and the crazy photo ops they will do for fans. Amell plays up the 'bromance' with Padalecki on Twitter, of course that's PR but still he does it. Sending hate to actors and their spouses/partners is always terrible.

I

Edited by catrox14

I think this whole Real Life Shipping is the worst side of fandom especially if one starts abusing and tagging the people considered. How can one  turn a blind eye towards these posts when by simply making these posts they are disrespecting all the people concerned. This is especially true if any of those concerned person is is in a committed relationship. Maybe fantasize about RLS  in your head if you really want to  but why tag the concerned person.RLS destroys the natural chemistry in the cast and there are bound to be effects. Amell already interacts with Emily very less on public occasions and it is obvious that he takes these things to his heart hence the post.

• Love 14

I guess I'm in the 'ship what you want' boat. I don't like to see it, but I'm not going to tell someone not to ship what they want. I will get super pissed off if I see it directed at any of the actual people involved (or their spouses) because that crosses a huge line. For me it's a fandom thing, so I whatever about it.

As for it effecting the cast. It's frustrating to see the differences in how SA and EBR used to interact v now. I miss the tweets and the IG posts. I understand SA being reserved because he does have someone to take into consideration (tho EBR not caring at all brings me a lot of amusement), but he kind of needs to get over it. I know that sounds harsh, but I think he actually makes it worse by being so much more reserved and then hitting the troll button. 

• Love 5