Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Here is a very interesting article on "us.beamly.com", written by Ben Liebman (Beamly editor) and published on July 23, 2015, about how SA reacts to criticism on his FB page. Its title: "Has 'Arrow' Star Stephen Amell Become an Online Bully?"

(The autor criticizes SA pretty heavily, but - whether you agree with him or not - at least the article is not a mere rant, but Liebman actually tries to argue his case.)

https://us.beamly.com/tv-news/2015/07/23/arrow-star-stephen-amell-become-online-bully/

"[...] We consider Comicbook.com one of the fairest sites on the net, but Amell has his rules. Does that mean Mr. Amell will no longer be doing press with outlets like EW.com which allows people to comment as a guest? I wonder if EW.com knows they are out of the Stephen Amell business unless they change their entire commenting policy. Entertainment sites should consider themselves warned. Only those who comply with the wishes of Mr. Amell will get the honor of interviewing him.

We hope Comicbook.com doesn’t bow to the pressure, and eliminate anonymous comments. No interview, even one with the great Oliver Queen, is worth this much. We don’t think Mr. Amell started out trying to bully anyone, but he clearly decided to use his fame to put a spotlight on an issue that is the lowest of all hanging fruit. Unless the site bends to his will, they’ll never be allowed to be in his presence. Once one celebrity begins to make demands like this, the rest will soon follow in line.

Arrow defends the people of Star City each and every week, but Stephen Amell is more concerned with protecting himself from your anonymous and meaningless comments. We liked it better when he was using his social media presence to get a shot with the WWE.

It’s definitely a shock to say this, but Stephen Amell failed this social media post. [...]"

The article is refering to the following two posts of SA on his FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/stephenamell/photos/a.510703882348217.1073741826.146921975393078/890698314348770/?type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/stephenamell/photos/a.510703882348217.1073741826.146921975393078/890698314348770/?type=1&comment_id=890706967681238&reply_comment_id=890725834346018&total_comments=377&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R9%22%7D

It seems that SA responded to the beamly article in yet another FB post:

https://www.facebook.com/stephenamell/videos/vb.146921975393078/891155864303015/?type=2&theater

( Watch the video. At the 2:06 mark SA explicitly mentions Liebman´s article - without mentioning the autor, though).

Furthermore, Brandon Davis, video producer of "ComicBook.com", publicly apologized to SA for ComicBook.com´s policy of allowing people to write anonymously in their comment section:

https://twitter.com/BrandonDavisBD/status/624036059765174274

".@amellywood I want to personally apologize for the abuse of http://ComicBook.com's comment section. We're huge fans, you know this."

And SA answered in the following way:

https://twitter.com/amellywood/status/624041283145732097

"@BrandonDavisBD I like you guys. Would happily do something with you. Let's just put a little more accountability in the forums."

So the upshot of all of this seems to be that - after all - SA got what he wanted: By flexing his social media muscles he made a representative of an important genre website apologize to him in public. You might argue whether SA is an "online bully" or not - but whatever he is, he is a successful one.

Edited by Kordi
  • Love 2
(edited)

I don't think he's a bully at all, but I do think that his anti-anon stance is misguided. I mean, even if that guy had registered with a real username, does it change anything if he'd commented under "grnarrowh8r14"? Nothing that guy wrote was far enough out of line to get him banned, so...who cares? What was SA going to do, ask for his real name and email address? Ask CB.com to ban his IP? There are ways around that. The only way to have real accountability is to require people to sign in with their real name, and who even knows if they are who they say they are? 

I get that people writing shit about him on the internet is bothersome, but it's just something he's got to learn to deal with. I know he thinks Facebook is the be-all, end-all of social networking, but I have a dummy account on there myself, after an unpleasant experience of someone coming after me personally after I posted an opinion they didn't like on a friend's post. Hell, I wouldn't even comment on the CW's Facebook page under my real name, with how over-the-line people go with the name calling and whatnot. So, the comfort of anonymity goes both ways. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 14

SA really just needs to ignore stuff like this.Almost every site has the option to post comments anonymously and there's gonna be both love and hate in there.Its how the internet works.He won't be able to be the only one who gets to control what people online say about him outside of his facebook page.I don't think he's a bully,but I agree that that it makes no sense for anon posting to be a reason for him not to give interviews to a site.If he wanted to bring awareness to online bullying he should look no further then the CW Arrow facebook page.

• Love 1

Stephen's perception that Facebook is not completely filled with anonymous accounts is just... hilarious.

Also, there's a long history of anonymity being essential for some people to be able to participate in fandom, and it's been part of the culture from the start. I'm always uncomfortable when talent wants to ~change the ways~ fandom works, because the majority of them DO NOT understand fandom culture. Anonymity =/= troll, Steve.

OTOH, Beamly is not a news site, folks. It's a social media app. So, you know, know WHO you're reading from your Google Alerts for "Stephen Amell".

• Love 8

harper-redarrow asked:

When will Green Arrow's infamous love for chili be introduced in the show?

I think you need to work on your definition of “infamous.”  :)

Edited by tv echo, Yest. 7:24 am.

This is so dumb of me, but when I read this, I thought of the green chile cheeseburger I had in Santa Fe, NM and my mouth started watering. Sooo yummy…

And now in my head, Oliver Queen loves green chile cheeseburgers. I'm an idiot.

(edited)
Wendy Mericle ‏@MericlesHappen  13h13 hours ago

Very excited to welcome @JeriLRyan and @JimmyAkingbola AND @iamjrbourne to #ArrowSeason4! Can't wait for you to see what's in store...

https://twitter.com/MericlesHappen/status/624358593316397056

WM previously tweeted a welcome to EK and AC (posted earlier in this thread).

Stephen Amell ‏@amellywood  3h3 hours ago

That's a wrap on Episode 70.

Honored to be back.

https://twitter.com/amellywood/status/624521138115231744

Edited by tv echo

Can I just say I love the outfit? It's stylish and professional, but I was hoping for a different hairstyle. She still looks super young. I hope someone makes a funny about looking like a CEO-intern.

• Love 3

Can't say I have noticed the show's score at all. For me, a score/soundtrack has to be distractingly intrusive for me to even pay attention to it, like that season of Desperate Housewives where 'pay attention this guy is a villain'-ish music would play every time Edie's husband appeared, or that time I watched five or six episodes of Gilmore Girls in one sitting and then had to stop because I couldn't handle hearing one more 'la la la'.

I am with you. The music has little impact on me unless it is jarring or too loud; then its a huge annoyance, usually because it drowns the dialogue. On the other hand, familiar classical or popular music, the Bond theme, Pink Panther, etc. really increase my enjoyment of the scene. GoTG was so much more appealing because of Hooked on a Feeling and the other songs. The classical music used in The Spy Who Loved Me and several other movies adds a lot to the respective scenes.

(edited)

MG:

I will say, actually, Susannah actually did return to the show in Season Three to record her voice for Episode 313 when Oliver was in Hong Kong and he made the phone call to his mother and heard her answering machine message.

We actually didn't have that from a previous episode, so we needed Susannah to record that and she was kind enough to do that for us.

http://comicbook.com/2015/07/23/marc-guggenheim-talks-arrow-vixen-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-and-the-/

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

According to Urban Dictionary a "bully" is a person who "revels in making people´s lives a misery". SA is definitely NOT a bully in this sense of the term. However, he does pressurise websites like ComicBook.com into changing their policies for contributions to their comment sections. And this bothers me for several reasons:

(i) Given that many websites allow anonymous or pseudonymous posts, why does SA pick on some of them (like CB.com) and give others (like FB) a pass on that issue?

(ii) Even if websites banned anonymous comments, how could they make sure that people register with their real names? This seems impossible.

(iii) Websites need as many clicks, likes, comments etc. as possible in oder to survive on the internet. If they adopted policies that prohibited anonymous and pseudonymous comments, they would suffer a considerable decline in measurable audience activity.

(iv) Many people have legitimate personal reasons for not using their real names while participating in fandom activities (e.g. not wanting your employer to know about what you do in your spare time). If people were forced to always use their real names on blogs, forums, and websites, many would have to quit their participation in fandoms altogether.

(v) There can be no doubt about the fact that the possibility of writing anonymously or pseudonymously fuels "cyber vices" like spreading hate, bulling, stalking etc. However, it also gives people the opportunity to talk more freely, honestly and sincerely about what they really feel or think. IMO this is a good in itself that is worth preserving. Moreover, it can provide valuable information about the way audiences responds to movies, TV shows etc. Therefore, people working in show business should be interested in getting as much unfiltered feedback to their products as possible. They should endorse the possibility of anonymity and pseudonymity on the internet - even though this means they have to endure many unpleasant comments.

For all these reasons, I think that SA´s demand for banning anonymous and pseudonymous comments on the internet - though understandable from his personal point of view - is neither realistic nor fair nor desirable.

Edited by Kordi
  • Love 3

Can I just say I love the outfit? It's stylish and professional, but I was hoping for a different hairstyle. She still looks super young. I hope someone makes a funny about looking like a CEO-intern.

I agree. I was hoping we'd lose the ponytail, at least in professional settings. I liked it when it was longer and lower (such as we first met her). But the higher short ponytail makes her look really young, and I was hoping to have seen the last of it. I was hoping for a look closer to how EBR had it styled at Comic-con. That looked grown up and mature.

I agree. I was hoping we'd lose the ponytail, at least in professional settings. I liked it when it was longer and lower (such as we first met her). But the higher short ponytail makes her look really young, and I was hoping to have seen the last of it. I was hoping for a look closer to how EBR had it styled at Comic-con. That looked grown up and mature.

Taking it to Felicity Thread

The most hilarious part of it all is the comicbook.com twitter account posting this:

http://twitter.com/ComicBook/status/624219216791650304

I like to imagine the thought process: Stephen Amell thinks we're terribad ---> Stephen Amell is the Captain of this 'ship ---> Here, fanbase we loathe in our forums and comment sections, have a meme and let me appropriate your hashtag so Stephen can see we're RILLY trying.

I was so confused by that. Lol Isn't that the site that left Felicity off the poll and destroyed her in comments? I didn't connect it to SA responding to some of the negative comments on his page.

She had alley sex hair at Comic-Con. I say that with affection. I style my hair like that when I don't want to mess with it in the morning. I was hoping to see something like the up-fronts for her work look.

I don't think SA is a bully, I think he's a 34 year old half man half boy. I find it amusing to read and watch his antics. His behavior is no different than most guys his age. It's always funny to see what his bimonthly problem is, never usually bad but always something that is bugging him. He puts it out there and people get all out of sorts and the cycle starts all over again. Entertaining.

• Love 17

As for anonymous postings, I don't particularly like when guests who are not registered with a site can post comments. Its fine for guests to leave likes or votes. But if you have something to say, you should at least take the time to register with the site even if it is a dummy account or email you use. Your username could still be anonymous, but at least there is some accountability. It won't ever prevent trolling but at least it will help track how many trolls have decided to voice their opinion that day.

I don't think SA is a bully. He can be a little alpha male and sometimes that translates into a little jerky. He most definitely has a flair for drama. He makes some ill advised decisions on social media (from a PR stand point) but I think its just him and his personality. I think he's just a regular guy and sometimes regular guys pick dumb fights for no good reason. I did appreciate his last video because he explained some of his tone, which is good considering it doesn't always come across well and some of his fans then rally to defend him which only then causes more problems.

I do think its hysterical that he literally posts videos while allowing his kid to roam int he background. Who hasn't had to field an imaginary phone call from time to time? Or discuss juice? I don't know his postings just seem authentic. But he should learn a little better about what not to say and when to engage/disengage. But sometimes I wonder where would the fun be in that?

• Love 7

As for anonymous postings, I don't particularly like when guests who are not registered with a site can post comments. Its fine for guests to leave likes or votes. But if you have something to say, you should at least take the time to register with the site even if it is a dummy account or email you use. Your username could still be anonymous, but at least there is some accountability. It won't ever prevent trolling but at least it will help track how many trolls have decided to voice their opinion that day.

I don't disagree with you, but I guess this is where I'm losing SA's argument. He doesn't like anonymous posting, that's cool. Put a name next to what you post, but...it's still not your real name. You can still troll with it. Him getting upset with CBR for not making people register makes no sense, because even if users did register, how is that really any different than what goes on now? I mean, like I wrote above, whether the comment comes from "anonymous1405450" or "stephenamellsucks,"or someone using a first and last name which may or may not be real, he STILL doesn't know who that person is, haha. 

• Love 4

It'll be interesting to see what SA has to say about his idol . . .

. . . World Wrestling Entertainment has ended its more than three-decade long relationship with Terry Bollea, aka Hulk Hogan, as the National Enquirer and Radar Online released the purported transcript of a secretly-recorded racist rant Hogan is said to have made to a former sexual partner . . .

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/07/24/hulk_hogan_racist_audio_rant_wwe_breaks_of_relationship_with_wrestling_star.html

Have to admit that I do not get WWE at all. To be fair, I've never given it a chance but I did catch glimpses of it when it ran over into Eureka, Warehouse 13, etc., and my DVR ended up cutting off my shows way too early. WWE's right up there with monster truck pulls and Real Housewives of Wherever on my WTF scale.

I'm all for mandatory sign in because you can trace posting history, know their biases and gauge their thought process and mentality. Even without removing the mask to see their real life identity. I don't need to be Becky from Columbus to show who I am.

• Love 2

Have to admit that I do not get WWE at all. To be fair, I've never given it a chance but I did catch glimpses of it when it ran over into Eureka, Warehouse 13, etc., and my DVR ended up cutting off my shows way too early. WWE's right up there with monster truck pulls and Real Housewives of Wherever on my WTF scale.

I basically thought WWE and UFC were the same thing for ages, so there you go. SPORTS!

(edited)

Yes, it is a sport. It's physical and for entertainment and people can get seriously hurt doing it. I used to love watching it when I was a kid, but now it's not as interesting as it used to be.

Edited by Chasity

I'm all for mandatory sign in because you can trace posting history, know their biases and gauge their thought process and mentality. Even without removing the mask to see their real life identity. I don't need to be Becky from Columbus to show who I am.

True, but mandatory sign in wouldn't have changed anything about this situation. The guy wasn't bullying anyone, and he didn't threaten anyone. He made a comment that he thought SA was using his celebrity to bilk his fans. So, he uses a screen name to make that comment, and...then what? SA can rant at an actual name rather than an anon? The guy didn't do anything that was against the ToS, so...not sure what SA wanted to come out of it. 

Anyway, I have to register to be able to comment on comicbook.com, so it seems like they do track their anons - randoms can't just go on there and post (unless there's something I'm missing). 

• Love 2

I think you should have to register if you are participating in a forum discussion because it helps with moderation. But I hate having to register if I want to post a comment on an article, mostly because I don't think comment sections should be used as forums. One of the reasons I stay away from them is because you always have one or two people who jump all over other comments to argue and things go completely off topic. I would love if they did away with the reply feature and tracked IPs so you could only post once (and of course, basic policy to delete anything with abusive language to another poster or to an actor or off-topic). I think it would fix so many issues.

I really feel like this is some meta-statement on the direction of storytelling and show production. It feels like more than just the direction of the rooms.

Lol I had the same thought. Not sure if it's just wishful thinking though. It would be awesome if the meta humans and superpowers would stay in Flash/LOT shows so that I can have the grounded gritty superhero drama I was promised in Arrow.

• Love 2
(edited)

I just appreciate the work SA puts into staying fit for his role. It really does pay off in his fight scenes & his staring at FS or into mirrors shirtless scenes. I hope all this works translates into more shirtless scenes in s4. Because his shirtlessness does contribute greatly to the plot. ;)

Edited by kismet
  • Love 7

I came up with an in-story reason for the reduced shirtlessness in S3...he was trying to be respectful to Felicity after (in his usual controlling ahole way, yes I'm mad at him) preemptively dumping her for being a distraction.  Kind of cruel to dangle the goods in front of her when he's not going to hand them over, so it actually makes sense.  Unlike most of their S3 story/plot ideas.

• Love 3

WWE's right up there with monster truck pulls and Real Housewives of Wherever on my WTF scale.

I have no time or understanding of WWE or most of the "reality" TV but monster truck shows get a bad rap.  Loved it as an eight year old and loved it last time I went when I was thirty.  Monster trucks are about feeling the power of the engine reverberate in your chest as the throttle is pushed past anything rational.  It's loud and smoky and things inevitably blow up and break or tip over and get smushed, but it's a kind of controlled chaos and the noise and the oversized everything is the point.  Screamed in glee until I went hoarse once when Grave Digger purposely did 360 spins until the engine exploded.  It's a spectacle worth visiting live at least once.