Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I did find it curious that they brought on someone whose background is one hour dramas. I would have thought that with LOT coming to friction as well that they would want to continue the heavy comic elements. I'm wondering if they realised you can't just throw the comics into a show and expect them to fit, like the Black Canary arc like Wildcat like Ra's and the LOA. Those characters had names but no foundation. The characterisation wasn't there to make them a success. The same why it wasn't there for Oliver and Felicity. They had a moment in mind (the ride into the sunset ) but they didn't lay the bricks right.

Interesting point, because Greg Berlanti's background was also one hour dramas, and when he was still co-running the show, Arrow actually had heart in addition to the comics elements and action scenes. I don't dare to hope that Mericle is as good as he was, but she has to be better than MG, at least.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 5

Yeah, I'm one of about three Olicity shippers who basically hated the ride into the sunset. It felt entirely unearned and abrupt to me, and I don't believe that the Felicity I spent nearly three years getting to know would have gone for that after all the shit that went down with Oliver, both over the season and 24 hours prior. I definitely want them together, just not like that. I'm pretty much hoping S4 is so awesome that I can erase S3 from my memory.

I'm of two minds. It was gourmet decoration on a store bought cake. But on the other, I wanted out of Starling City just as bad. And it allows for a truly clean state in some ways.

• Love 9

I swear that in season one, the fights were more a part of the narrative.  I'm not sure what changed.

I think that one of the major differences in S1 was that we got to see Oliver fight as himself. He fought the guys who kidnapped him and Tommy in the pilot, the guy who attacked him when he was under house arrest, and the hit man coming for the little boy in the mansion--all sans Arrow suit. He also chased down the Dodger in his tux, wearing only a helmet to conceal his identity. The first three fights I mentioned were all reactionary to immediate, unexpected danger and required Oliver to suddenly fight for his life. Two of those fights occurred in his own home, and the other happened while Tommy was also in danger, raising the stakes significantly. There was emotional weight to the S1 fights, which aligned them with the narrative.

In subsequent seasons, Oliver always mailed in his RSVP to the fight before he donned his best leather suit, perfected his smokey eye, and strapped on his trendy archery accessories. Seriously though, sometimes his detour to grab his Arrow suit seemed to undermine the urgency of whatever dangerous situation he needed to get to. When The Count had Felicity, he called him Oliver on the phone. So, despite both the bad guy and the damsel already knowing his identity, he took the time to change his clothes--but didn't bother to pull the hood up!

Ok, so he didn't actually brawl that time. However, when he did fight in other episodes, he was wearing the Arrow suit, which means that he was anticipating the fight. Those fights were always more highly stylized and less gritty, and they often included him using his bow in creative, non-shooting ways. Oliver also seemed to forget that he knew Parkour when S1 ended. Furthermore, Oliver didn't have any sidekicks in S1 who needed to be added to the choreography.

I know I've said it before, but all of the S3 fights seemed like the heroes just kept twirling with their arms out and the bad guys fell down.

• Love 13
(edited)

So maybe someone (Berlanti?) did figure out that what they needed for Arrow is someone who will do the heavy lifting for characterization and storytelling.  Although I have to say, MG can write good scripts when Berlanti and Kreisburg do the story.  The Arrow part of the crossover was on tonight and there was nary a step wrong.

214 traumatized me for life, but otoh, could ANYONE come up with a good script that?

That's a good question.  There were some elements in it that I liked (Felicity not being jealous of Sara being with Oliver; only fighting harder when all her equipment was fried; Diggle's concern for Felicity which disappeared in s3) and some I disliked (the scars competition, Oliver's PDAs with Sara in front of Felicity (even worse now that we know he had feelings for Felicity), and Oliver generally in the episode).

I wish there had been some way to have Oliver give up on Laurel permanently (yay!) without the Lance Family Drama Supper Hour which made me dislike Oliver for being an idiot by going, think less of Sara for asking him to come, and make me sympathetic towards Laurel for being blindsided at her own dinner table.  I think without that element, it wouldn't have been such a bad episode.  Maybe if she had screwed up a case because she had been drinking, they would still have got the same effect without the cringe-factor.

I also wish there had been a better resolution for Tockman who was just getting money because  his sister is sick (and the US medical system is very problematic).

Ironically, I think it was supposed to be a crucible episode for Felicity (getting shown up by Sara at the computer, losing to Tockman) so maybe they just suck at writing Felicity crucibles, like all of s3.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm of two minds. It was gourmet decoration on a store bought cake. But on the other, I wanted out of Starling City just as bad. And it allows for a truly clean state in some ways.

So am I, because I wanted it over, and because I still love Felicity and have some leftover affection for poor dumb S3 Oliver, so I want them to be happy. It's a very weird feeling to hate a story choice but be happy for the characters the choice affected. Overall, though, it felt disrespectful to Felicity, just like most of the rest of the season.

I'm happy to see the pic of the new bow. Glad the LOA bow is gone, hopefully burned with sage along with the rest of his LOA accoutrements.

Re 214, they could have written a good episode. There are a million ways for Oliver to be over Laurel and her boozing. Tockman himself was a good and interesting villain (loved his "safe in your little hidey-hole" line reading). They just make weird story choices a lot.

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 1

I'm happy to see the pic of the new bow. Glad the LOA bow is gone, hopefully burned with sage along with the rest of his LOA accoutrements.

Is it a new bow or is it the one Felicity got him? It looks like it has the wheel-thingies that was on the one he was using since season 2.

(edited)

I really miss Oliver's S1 parkour. SA is fabulous at it, and they show his face when he does it. The parkour in Salvation is so frigging fun. And it was necessary parkour, not like Roy doing a flip before punching someone when he could have just as easily skipped the flip and just gone with the punching.

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 9

Is it a new bow or is it the one Felicity got him? It looks like it has the wheel-thingies that was on the one he was using since season 2.

I think it's a similar type, but I'm assuming, at least in-show, that it's a new bow, because the SCPD has all his old gear. The wheels are, I believe, just part of it being a compound bow.

• Love 2

Yeah, but Roy's unnecessary parkour is basically a character trait.  I mean, he even does the frankly bizarre move of twirling on the nearby wall when he leaps in to surprise the guys menacing Thea at the start of their relationship.  It's enough of a thing that I'm sure they would have put an open gate in the fence when he ran away from Thea and Laurel in his first episode, if they didn't need a story reason to stop the girls from following him.

• Love 3

Yeah him putting on the suit and on the flash wastes precious time. That's why I can never get why everyone wants a suit on that set. It really only serves to hide identity. When basically everyone knows who you are already.

So, when is the WWE match happening, because I'm positive this is a thing that's going to happen. (Also, I wish I had SA's ability to put stuff out in the universe that actually happens.)

Signs point toward August. 

I think the Insurance company won't allow SA to do it. They won't let him do Ninja Warrior in case he gets hurt. I know wrestling is fake, but people still can get hurt. 

I gotta give kudos to Stardust, he really commits to that character. 

What I hope they achieve in the stunt work for s4 is a balance. I don't mind that he needs to don his proper attire for showdowns. I do miss him fighting in his casual/everyday attire. They need to have his fights be a balance between big showdowns & sudden skirmishes. That s2 stunt sequence where QC is taken over by the arrows was amazing. He fought them and then he jumped out a window to another floor for safety. That was pretty cool. S1 action scenes were just really awesome because it was all about Oliver & less about the masks. Those days have since passed us somewhere in s2.

My hope is that once we get more balance in the characters lives and have them living outside the confines of the foundry, the stunt sequences will once again reflect that balance. Too much of s3 was spent focusing solely on the Arrow mission and not enough about their life outside of it. I don't know if they'll ever get rid of the big showdown in the end of the episodes but they might be able to do more creative things with DD's specialty seeming to be less physical and more psychological/magical warfare. But if OQ is going to have a large presence in the real world this season, than his fights will probably also happen in a more real world presence.

• Love 3

I scrolled down some and wondered about the series of Canary photos. Was that CL as Black Canary kind of morphing into White Canary? At first I thought it was KC as BC, then CL as WC. But the last split photo had me questioning that conclusion. And is that fan art, I'm assuming?

I believe that's just fan art.

• Love 1

It's amazing the difference one casting choice can make. I wasn't sold on Damien after they tied him to Ra's, but after casting Neal I'm really looking forward to the character.

• Love 3
(edited)

Is this a new Oliver Queen Funko POP! figure?  I don't remember seeing a shirtless OQ Funko before...

tumblr_nrkxrlTCqU1ux7ui0o1_1280.jpg

Pic source: http://funkocommander.tumblr.com/post/124236267618/funko-pop-oliver-queen-island-scarred
Info source: http://www.popcultcha.com.au/bobble-heads-and-pop-vinyl/bobble-heads-and-pop-vinyl/pop-vinyl/arrow-oliver-queen-island-scarred-pop-vinyl-figure.html#.VagV9PlViko

These are the known Oliver Queen Funko POP! figures...

5341_Arrow_grande.jpg?146703965710782604
5346_The_HoodArrow_grande.jpg?1323924516

Pics source: http://funko.com/blogs/news/19107723-coming-soon-arrow-the-flash-pop-and-reaction-figures

(Note that there's even a Captain Cold Funko POP! figure, but still no Felicity Smoak one - I guess because she doesn't wear a costume or have a code name.)

Edited by tv echo

I've seen this one.

OQ_zps1b7sixgv.jpg

David Tenant would be jealous of that hair.

KC is LA, and Paul is in Washington State. Are they finished filming for this week?

She implied she was only in LA for the night, but who knows if she is heading back up for filming after. 

• Love 1

Stephen Amell Camp Hometown Heroes Campaign My cousin Robbie Amell - mysteriously in Vancouver
Facebook! My cousin Robbie Amell - mysteriously in Vancouver - is launching a campaign to benefit Camp Hometown Heroes, a cause that - if you watch the video - you'll find out is very close to his heart. I'm helping him launch the campaign because family. Give it a look see and check out the shirts. They're awesome. http://represent.com/robbieamell
Published on Jul 16, 2015, by AlexSp12TV

• Love 2

It's amazing the difference one casting choice can make. I wasn't sold on Damien after they tied him to Ra's, but after casting Neal I'm really looking forward to the character.

When they cast Nable as Ra's  and then gave us Nick Tarabay as Boomerang, I was just like " NOOOOOOOO you've got them backwards!!!" :(. I would have eaten up Tarabay as Ra's even with Ra's stupid plans.  And we know Tarabay can do the stunt fighting from Spartacus.  Bah.

• Love 3
(edited)

When they cast Nable as Ra's  and then gave us Nick Tarabay as Boomerang, I was just like " NOOOOOOOO you've got them backwards!!!" :(. I would have eaten up Tarabay as Ra's even with Ra's stupid plans.  And we know Tarabay can do the stunt fighting from Spartacus.  Bah.

After rewatching Brave & Bold last night, totally agree. On the upside, we can always get Boomerang back... Whereas that particular Ras is no more, despite never really explaining to us how he knew the best gossip in town & a fabulous interior designer :)

Edited by kismet
  • Love 2

After rewatching Brave & Bold last night, totally agree. On the upside, we can always get Boomerang back... Whereas that particular Ras is no more, despite never really explaining to us how he knew the best gossip in town & a fabulous interior designer :)

I like to think that Ra's al Ghul lives on in ghost form, flitting here and there to advise all of the best villains who have interior decorating issues. 

• Love 10

She is such an adorable little Diglet! I wonder what her big arc will be this season? Hopefully she can throw some baby shade during dinner conversations again :)

• Love 9