Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Interesting wording. The only CAST that will be there will be from LOT.  TCA repeat with masks only?  The other shows, including Supergirl, will only have their "stars".  Does that mean Flash will have only Grant Gustin?  Will Arrow only be Stephen Amell or will they send Katie Cassidy too?  Stay tuned...

Edited by Sunshine
  • Love 1

Maybe only the cast of LoT is contractually obligate to show up. While they are leaving it open for the other shows to arrange or get their "stars" to want to commit to another panel. It is interesting wording though.

But it doesn't look like there will be individual panels for Arrow or The Flash, which is bugging me a lot right now. I don't quite know who to blame-- Comic Con for moving its event date up, or WB for deciding that the two shows that are responsible for their newfound success don't need new promotion.

• Love 1
(edited)

Of course they are going to screen the Supergirl pilot since it already leaked online. 

If none of the shows started filming by that time, they won't have much footage to show, the panel can mostly be a Q&A. Weren't they all combined last year as well? 

Edited by Sakura12
(edited)

Since there aren't individual panels for Arrow or The Flash, from a business standpoint why would DC/WB spend the money to fly both casts in? I am more than happy to be proven wrong. ;) I am just curious about who the "stars" are.

I think the sizzle reel SA was going on about in one of is cons is probably part of what was filmed for all the costumed characters for LOT.

Edited by Sunshine

I'm pretty sure one of the "stars" of Arrow is going to be Katie Cassidy.  And Stephen Amell of course.  If David Ramsey and EBR don't show up, we'll know they are lying about the big story arcs for Diggle and Felicity next season.

Does it strike anyone else that it's incredibly stupid for AK to say that social media doesn't influence them?  It's one thing to say that they were planning to do Olicity before social media hit, and another to say that they ignore all social media for their shows.

If that's true Caity Lotz didn't know. Which is a possibility but a funked up one. Though with the ATOM push I doubt it.

Stephen Amell didn't know either; there was real sorrow/anger when he talked at cons about Sara being killed off and missing CL.

If they were really going to keep her, a kidnapping would have worked better.  Laurel would still have been able to mask up, Felicity could still have walked out when Oliver got all depressing, and Ra's could still have gone after Oliver because Sara went missing in Starling City.

• Love 2

As someone posted earlier (re: Ted Grant actor), I'd love to know what the communication problem is between showrunners and cast. It sounds like they just wing it half the time  CL thought Sara was officially dead after 3x01. Now it's a different story.  EBR made some reference (in the Girl on Guy interview, I think) to how she doesn't even bother asking about her character anymore because she's been told things that just never come to pass. I hope they're not just blowing smoke about the Felicity and Diggle arcs in S4 as a response to feedback from S3 - not that I'd ever expect them to promise something to pacify complaints and then just do the opposite. [/sarcasm]

• Love 3

Since there aren't individual panels for Arrow or The Flash, from a business standpoint why would DC/WB spend the money to fly both casts in? I am more than happy to be proven wrong. ;) I am just curious about who the "stars" are.

I think the sizzle reel SA was going on about in one of is cons is probably part of what was filmed for all the costumed characters for LOT.

The casts from both shows will still need to be at Comic Con for the media interview sessions and for stuff hosted by TV Guide, EW, IGN, etc. At least, that's what I hope will still happen. 

• Love 1

I was most curious about the "stars".  The official WB/DC release specifically says Stephen Amell and Grant Gustin.  It doesn't actually exclude anyone so there could be others from the cast of both shows.  Maybe they leave it up to the EPs as to who they bring?  

(edited)

As someone posted earlier (re: Ted Grant actor), I'd love to know what the communication problem is between showrunners and cast. It sounds like they just wing it half the time  CL thought Sara was officially dead after 3x01. Now it's a different story.  EBR made some reference (in the Girl on Guy interview, I think) to how she doesn't even bother asking about her character anymore because she's been told things that just never come to pass. I hope they're not just blowing smoke about the Felicity and Diggle arcs in S4 as a response to feedback from S3 - not that I'd ever expect them to promise something to pacify complaints and then just do the opposite. [/sarcasm]

Regarding JR Ramirez (Ted Grant), he was a recurring character on Power IIRC.  After he took the recurring role of Ted Grant, the other show made him a regular character so his first contracted commitment was that show.  It's not any different than SA as a recurring character on Private Practice continuing to look for work and and landing the lead in Arrow.  Private Practice had to shelve their plans (I believe his romance with AB's character was just starting to get bigger) and write him out of the show.  I don't know this for a fact but I think one of the reasons Karl Yune's role became as big as it did in the flashbacks and AMA took the lead in ARGUS in present day was because CAR was unavailable. 

Wait so is any of the DC shows getting a solo panel?

The only thing listed is that major screening with Q&As.  If they are solo panels it looks like same hall with back-to-backs from 8-11.

Edited by Sunshine
(edited)

To me it kind of looks like 1 hourish is the Supergirl screening with Q&A, then when that's done the cast of Arrow, Flash, Gotham get an Q&A, when that's over LoT gets a Q&A and the closing is a peek at the animated series Vixen. 

That's what I get from the way it's worded.

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2

It's the same as last year it eems. Which does a disservice to the new shows imo. I was a bit upset when Flash (and Gotham too I think) didn't have solo panels when Arrow (and Constantine did).

Also it upsets me that Ian Somerhalder's name is before Paul Wesley.

Regarding JR Ramirez (Ted Grant), he was a recurring character on Power IIRC.  After he took the recurring role of Ted Grant, the other show made him a regular character so his first contracted commitment was that show.  It's not any different than SA as a recurring character on Private Practice continuing to look for work and and landing the lead in Arrow.  Private Practice had to shelve their plans (I believe his romance with AB's character was just starting to get bigger) and write him out of the show.  I don't know this for a fact but I think one of the reasons Karl Yune's role became as big as it did in the flashbacks and AMA took the lead in ARGUS in present day was because CAR was unavailable. 

Oh, sorry, I wasn't looking for the specifics on the actor's situation.  I was referring to the communication lapse that seems to exist between actors and the showrunners (or maybe they *are* just winging it as they go) which I believe was brought in the original post about Ted Grant. When the actors seem genuinely shocked/surprised (Caity Lotz) by major character developments and get BS'd (EBR) by the showrunners re: upcoming story, that kind of flies in the face of how well thought out and planned in advance they claim their process is.

• Love 1

Also it upsets me that Ian Somerhalder's name is before Paul Wesley.

That one probably has more to do with first latter of last name, most ensemble shows do that to avoid the "whose the real star of the show" sort of thing and it usually spill over to media stuff too, did Nina's name always came before the guys? (I have no idea since I don't watch or follow TVD)

I'm just going to leave this link here.  It's written for Olicity fans asking for more joint press with Emily and Stephen, but it does have details for contacting the CW.  Anyone unhappy or concerned about the ComicCon panel announcement might follow the model (though I'd suggest saying something like "I'm calling about Arrow at ComicCon" to the live operator before leaving your detailed message on the recording.  No idea how often or who actually listens to that).  I personally plan on calling a few times over the next week or so.

So, what I've taken away from all of this is that CL is the lead of LOT.  Works for me.

Me, too. I had serious doubts about the viability of LoT with Ray Palmer as the (presumed) lead before CL was announced. He's a fine supporting character, but not convinced he could lead/carry a show - even an ensemble cast.

(edited)

I'm with Sunshine and statsgirl.  The title makes me cringe - "Super Hero Saturday Night"... I guess this means that only the actors playing costumed superheroes on these shows will attend. (yes, that's sarcasm)

I can't help but think that a lot of the marketing is driven by DC Comics, who hopes to sell more superhero comics and comics-related stuff - as well as promote "DC Comics" in connection with upcoming movies and tv shows.

I've never read superhero comics, but I've always loved watching superhero movies and tv shows.  Now, however, I'm beginning to hate the word "superhero"...

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 6

It's just a title...really after the last two years is there any doubt that the majority of the cast will show? (Unless filming)

I think before that heroes vs villains con people wouldn't have been as skeptical but now that that's happened and the network has been pushing the masks by promoting them more than the others, I think it's easy to see why some people would be skeptical.

• Love 5
(edited)

At least CW Arrow is recognizing, via twitter, the nominations of Arrow, SA and EBR for Teen Choice 2015 awards and asking fans to vote for them...

CHLHU77UIAIY1XK.png
CHLRwyCU0AA7aMG.png
CHLEXwRUYAEA5RR.png

ArrowWritersRoom ‏@ARROWwriters  Jun 9
Fandom! You guys are THE BEST! #TeenChoice #Arrow

CHEsCn3XAAAyngt.png

https://twitter.com/arrowwriters

Nothing from GB, AK, WM or MG - except that MG retweeted a fan tweet about the TCA noms asking him to retweet.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

Before we even get to SDCC, there are still several upcoming comic cons featuring Arrow former or current cast members:

Superman Celebration, June 11-14, 2015 (Metropolis, IL)
Caity Lotz

Wizard World's Des Moines Comic Con, June 12-14, 2015
Brandon Routh and Alex Kingston

Wizard World's Sacramento Comic Con, June 19-21, 2015
Katie Cassidy and Manu Bennett

Amazing Las Vegas Comic Convention, June 19-21, 2015
John Barrowman

Smallville Comiccon, June 20-21, 2015 (Smallville/Hutchinson, KS)
Katrina Law

Dragonfly's Green Heart Italian Convention, June 26-28, 2015 (Florence, Italy)
David Ramsey, Colton Haynes, Caity Lotz, Paul Blackthorne and Manu Bennett

Montreal Comicon, July 3-5, 2015
John Barrowman

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

http://www.melty.fr/arrow-saison-4-emily-bett-rickards-felicity-ne-pourrait-pas-rompre-avec-oliver-exclu-a419494.html

EBR interview done in Paris at the con she and others were at. If somebody could translate the French questions, that'd be awesome.

Sorry, I can't help with the French questions in the video.  But I used the right-click Translate to English option to translate the webpage text (hence, this translation reads awkward in spots)...

Felicity Smoak made ​​the detour to Paris! Organized by the association People Convention , the Super Heroes Con was held on 6 and 7 June at the Hilton Charles de Gaulle . For the occasion, a handful of actors have moved to meet their fans and agreed to meet with the editorial of melty. Among them the beautiful Emily Bett Rickards interprets proud Felicity Smoak and principal love interest Mister Oliver Queen. Released in May, the season finale of Arrow Season 3 marked the departure of Oliver and Felicity, determined to give a chance away from Starling City. For the first time, the iconic couples of the show leaves behind his vigilante team to devote himself to his love story. A romance which, Rickards, will last as long as two characters wish to devote themselves even if they are forced to return to Starling. "I think now, the challenge will be to see if they are able to be a couple. They will have to prioritize things " , she entrusts exclusively to melty. "I see them break that if one of them wants to end their relationship . " And when we asked him if it believes Felicity could make the choice to break with Oliver, it is with a "no" particular ensured she responded. "Not, I think it is too invested . The last three years, she found something she really love more than being on a computer. The computer is no longer his only friend now. It's very cute ... "

As recently announced the producer of the show, Marc Guggenheim, Felicity Oliver and should be back to Starling City from the season premiere . Therefore, the two heroes could join vigilante SC sooner than they imagined. If Felicity was brought to wear a suit, Emily already imagine in a pink dress that can change color at night! From his shooting souvenirs at the prospect of getting pregnant Felicity Oliver , the actress has really hooked together with melty! We invite you to check out the video above to see our interview with Miss Rickards in its entirety! For the impatient, know that the first teaser of the fourth season of Arrow is already available ! What do you think of declarations of Emily Bett Rickards?

Edited by tv echo
(edited)
I think before that heroes vs villains con people wouldn't have been as skeptical but now that that's happened and the network has been pushing the masks by promoting them more than the others, I think it's easy to see why some people would be skeptical.

I still think everyone massively made a big deal about nothing. (As well with the fight club video)

And really if EBR was there I don't think there would have been any fuss or as much rather IMO. 

Smallville Comiccon, June 20-21, 2015 (Smallville/Hutchinson, KS)

Katrina Law

Uh...

Edited by wingster55

At least CW Arrow is recognizing, via twitter, the nominations of Arrow, SA and EBR for Teen Choice 2015 awards and asking fans to vote for them...

CHLHU77UIAIY1XK.png

CHLRwyCU0AA7aMG.png

CHLEXwRUYAEA5RR.png

https://twitter.com/arrowwriters

Nothing from GB, AK, WM or MG - except that MG retweeted a fan tweet about the TCA noms asking him to retweet.

And so concludes the CW's promotion of Arrow for this year...LOL. 

Looks like MG's singing AK's tune re: fans influence on social media. (Wish some of the folks in my TL would realize this - they spend so much time on all kinds of twitter campaigns.)

https://twitter.com/mguggenheim/status/608812726295470080

And so concludes the CW's promotion of Arrow for this year...LOL. 

Looks like MG's singing AK's tune re: fans influence on social media. (Wish some of the folks in my TL would realize this - they spend so much time on all kinds of twitter campaigns.)

Thing is, I don't quite believe that fans can't influence what happens on the show. Maybe not to the extent some of them think they can or do. There's a reason the network forced all its showrunners to have Twitter accounts, to be able to engage fans and get immediate feedback. Actually, AK and MG haven't said anything lately they haven't said before. I mean, there was such a backlash over Diggle getting sidelined this season that they've started promoting his storyline for season 4 while season 3 was still underway. That's what all the HIVE talk is about. Same with an ID concealer for Diggle. These were all part of Twitter campaigns.

• Love 5

I still think everyone massively made a big deal about nothing. (As well with the fight club video)

And really if EBR was there I don't think there would have been any fuss or as much rather IMO. 

Greg Berlanti had to do a mea culpa in the media because journos picked up on the white sausage fest they were presenting as representative of the shows. Imo that alone made it a big deal.

• Love 16

From his shooting souvenirs at the prospect of getting pregnant Felicity Oliver

I have never been more in love with a computer translation in my life.  Though now if the season premiere does not have at least one shot of Oliver shooting a "MY FRIENDS WENT TO PARIS AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS T-SHIRT," or, better yet, a little plastic Eiffel Tower out of his bow, I am going to cry real tears.

Or at least be in urgent need of mint chocolate chip ice cream.

• Love 4
Greg Berlanti had to do a mea culpa in the media because journos picked up on the white sausage fest they were presenting as representative of the shows. Imo that alone made it a big deal.

Right, because of the lack of females (read Felicity)...never saw much complaining from the Iris fanbase. 

(edited)

Right, because of the lack of females (read Felicity)...never saw much complaining from the Iris fanbase. 

We have very different Twitter/Tumblr timelines then, because mine was complaining about the lack of Candace, Carlos and JLM, as well as Danielle and EBR. Their presence would have made the panel A LOT less of the white sausage fest we got. I honestly still don't understand what exactly Matt Nable and Robbie Amell were doing in that panel.

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 16

Maybe you weren't looking in the right place? I saw plenty of complaining from them, and believe it or not, there is a lot of overlap between Felicity and Iris fans.

But really, the only reason anyone was on the panel was if they had a mask or an alter ego (in the case of Firestorm). Diggle was the only exception. The fact that these shows are inherently male-driven was only highlighted by that panel, and the fact is that for ~some reason~ it's much harder for women and POC to "earn" their hero status on these shows. 

• Love 12

I think it's not only that the shows are male-driven, it's that the creators put themselves into the characters on screen, and the creators of the shows are themselves largely white males.

Yeah, there was a lot of social media blow-back about the TCA panel.  At one point defenders said it was diverse because there were a number of gays one it. In reality, it was the actors who are gay (Victor Garber, Wentworth Miller and someone else along with Greg Berlanti) while the characters they played were all het white men.

There was also a lot of complaining about the Superhero Fight Club promo that if Martin Stein were there keeping score, why weren't Iris, Caitlin, Cisco and Felicity cheering in the stands?  Why wasn't Diggle fighting?

I've never read superhero comics, but I've always loved watching superhero movies and tv shows.  Now, however, I'm beginning to hate the word "superhero"...

I've got to the stage where I'm bored with it now.  It was fun at first but with this year, there are just too many of the same thing on TV.  Look at Arrow -- within the last 24 episodes, we've got Arsenal, Black Canary, the Atom and Speedy.  It seems like everyone except Diggle, Felicity and Lyla is a superhero, and Diggle will get his costume next season.  Add to that The Flash (where we will soon see Killer Frost and Vibe), LoA, Gotham, Agents of SHIELD and Supergirl, it's too much of the same thing.   It used to be that all cops shows followed the same pattern and often the same mysteries; now it's all those superhero shows.

I don't want to split hairs but I think they're referring to micro rather than macro changes.  The show is like a massive ship that can take ten miles to change direction.  They're setting up the s4 arc now, and the show doesn't air for another 4 months.  So did social media cause them to go Olicity from Lauriver?  No, because the PTB noticed back in August the potential and Felicity's first appearance aired in October.  But if Arrow is less depressing and angsty next season, I will think yeah, they listen at least to some things.

• Love 5
(edited)
There was also a lot of complaining about the Superhero Fight Club promo that if Martin Stein were there keeping score, why weren't Iris, Caitlin, Cisco and Felicity cheering in the stands?  Why wasn't Diggle fighting?

Can't answer about Diggle, but Stein wasn't there just to keep score..Firestorm is the merging of Ronnie and Stein..without that they don't have powers.

And cheering? It's not a spectator sport.

But really, the only reason anyone was on the panel was if they had a mask or an alter ego (in the case of Firestorm). Diggle was the only exception.

It seemed like it was just people who go out on the field. If that panel happened now it would include Thea (and if she was available, Nyssa) and maybe Tatsu

Edited by wingster55
(edited)

The TCA panel took place before BC went into the field, and before Ray's suit was even completed on the show. And the Nyssa question was raised at the time--she fought alongside Team Arrow in the S2 finale, and has at other times been a villain. She has a costume and a mask. Why wasn't KLaw invited? They made clear choices about who they consider the important heroes and villains on their shows, and they paid for it in social media (and in coverage of the panel in the actual media).

I mean, in reality, you can see that this was an Arrow/Flash/LOT panel, and that's why they invited who they did. But the makeup of the panel is still telling about a number of ongoing issues with these shows.

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 14
(edited)

And Greg Berlanti admitted it was a fuck up. Which is A GOOD THING, really. Any time a creator admits that he fucked up in representation of gender and race, it's a small victory, because it can lead to better representation of both things. It doesn't always happen, but the awareness is there now.

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 15