Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

The sad part is, from a purely economic standpoint, the entirety of the season is more important than any single episode, with the possible exception of the crossovers. Arrow loses money while on air, and only recoups it once the full season is out on DVD and digital platforms like Netflix.

It's obviously no excuse for the crap they dump in the middle of the season so they can set up their plans for the finale. They should be writing each episode as its own microcosm of character development and quality writing. But otoh, if corporate is telling them the full season matters more than the individual episodes, they're gonna cater to corporate.

Edited by dancingnancy
ogteamarrow asked:

Thank you guys so much for hiring Audrey Marie Henderson to play Lyla. She's my second favorite female character on the show and I was curious how she was cast. Did you guys seek her out or did she just audition?

She played the lead in a pilot Andrew Kreisberg produced a number of years ago called “Halley’s Comet.”  When the part of Lyla came up, he thought of Audrey.

rayouna23 asked:

How long does it take to shoot an episode of arrow?

8-9 days, depending.

Arrow's PR department needs to step it up a notch. Does Arrow have a lower budget than Flash or something? Flash is always getting new promotional items, from trailers to posters to interviews, while Arrow is stuck with the same old things. A new photoshoot would be nice; i still can't believe you guys photoshopped the promo pics from last year to create his year's season poster btw. New things for fans to get excited over would be appreciated. Arrow is the show that started it all after all.

Preaching to the choir, sister.

http://marcguggenheim.tumblr.com/

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Yet it's the audience that buys the DVDs.

I don't think there's anything wrong with writing to the audience's likes. The audience let's you know what's working and what isn't. That mainframe isn't a negative it's a positive.

• Love 2

That's another "it gets better" response. Why write a show horribly, just for the ending? To me it looks like they had an ending they wanted and are just futzing around until they can get to it. So nothing in between really matters. 

I think writing towards the ending is exactly what they do without any clear map to get there.  IIRC, right around 2.23 MG said in an interview that they knew exactly where Felicity and Laurel would be landing at the end of Season 3 and that they would be in totally different places from where they were in 2.23.  My guess is Canary, Arrow's partner, (THE 'R'elationship) and Felicity, love interest (a 'r'elationship).  This would be the opposite of where they were in 2.23 and would bring them full circle from 3.01.  LL said "who would ever have thought we would be partners" and FS was romantic interest. 

Edited by Sunshine

It's really going to piss people off who want Felicity as Oliver's partner and O/D/F back though.

MG: We want the entire season to stand on its own.  I’ll be most curious about fan response to  the season as a whole when all is said and done.

Like last season, he thinks that if they write a really good season finale, we'll forgive the mess the middle was.  The problem is, that only works a few times, and you actually have to have good stuff in the beginning, unlike this season.

• Love 10

Don't know but I'm dreading it.

The Originals poster didn't change much, they just added Mikael in. Flash poster was another solo shot, just standing instead of running.

I'm guessing Arrow will replace Laurel with Black Canary. And possibly (sadly) move Roy to replace Felicity.

• Love 1

I think I would prefer a solo shot of Arrow than masks only or masks to the front everyone else to the back.  That said, I will be shocked if they don't have Arrow flanked by his masked associates.  In which case, I hope they get as much flack as they did with the previous poster.   

Edited by Sunshine
  • Love 5

It wouldn't surprise me if it was just masks.  Wonder if they will include Malcolm & ATOM?  Thea doesn't have a mask yet.

Did they actually do a new photo shoot for the poster, or are they just going to cut and paste old shots like they did on the last one?  Anyone know?

I believe per GB there was some sort of photo shoot taking place the same Saturday as the TCAs.  EBR was in LA (she was on a flight with CH & JB) but whether that was business or pleasure I don't know.  Nor do I know about WH.

• Love 1

Maybe it is just masks, without Diggle and Felicity. I'm preparing myself.

But if it is, given the response to the TCA panel, that would be seriously stupid.  Ray and Ra's haven't had nearly the impact the EPs hoped for, Thea hasn't got a mask yet and Laurel remains a divisive character.  So a poster of Oliver, Roy and Laurel would play to the comic book fanatics and irritate everyone else.

I'm think the poster is going to be just the masks, because they are trying to build up enthusiasm for the finale which will most likely be a repeat of last seasons finale with Laurel and Ray instead of Sara, Nyssa and LOA. 

Speaking for just me, I'd vote for no more posters and more T-shirts/sweatshirts and/or action figures.  The posters just seem to get ignored or cause angst.  The other stuff sells.

I think its going to be the regular cast but with the masks grouped front and center with a big Starlings Justice tagline. The rest will be in the background.

I just can't wait.

I think it's going to be Oliver in the center, Diggle and Felicity next to him, the other masked people next to them. So it'll be mask non mask mask... 

Then again, that would be best case scenario... And CW marketing fails most of the time so...

Ugh. I'mma throw my Arrow blu-rays if Palmer ends up on the new poster (not really, though, that shit was expensive). But I'll be super annoyed.

Speaking for just me, I'd vote for no more posters and more T-shirts/sweatshirts and/or action figures.  The posters just seem to get ignored or cause angst.  The other stuff sells.

Not gonna lie, I bought an Arrow action figure already. It's supposed to be shipped soon. I'll also be buying Felicity's and Diggle's in November or whenever they come out. (Please don't judge me.) But what I really want is the S.T.A.R. labs sweatshirt which I can't find anywhere.

• Love 1

Not gonna lie, I bought an Arrow action figure already. It's supposed to be shipped soon. I'll also be buying Felicity's and Diggle's in November or whenever they come out. (Please don't judge me.) But what I really want is the S.T.A.R. labs sweatshirt which I can't find anywhere.

We'd never judge! I think it's cool and necessary to support the characters who are currently being given the shaft. It says a lot that their characters are more popular than their pet projects

• Love 2

I want the STAR Labs sweatshirt too! Hot Topic had some before Christmas, supposedly, and I ordered three (two for Xmas gifts), then got an email saying they were sold out.

I feel this is a no brainer: Sweatshirts that are popular enough to sell out and presumably make Hot Topic some money, versus a poster that sad experience tells us nobody would like. Unless someone at WB hates Hot Topic or something, focus on the sweatshirts!  Or sell them through another store! 

I want the STAR Labs sweatshirt too! Hot Topic had some before Christmas, supposedly, and I ordered three (two for Xmas gifts), then got an email saying they were sold out.

I feel this is a no brainer: Sweatshirts that are popular enough to sell out and presumably make Hot Topic some money, versus a poster that sad experience tells us nobody would like. Unless someone at WB hates Hot Topic or something, focus on the sweatshirts!  Or sell them through another store! 

So there's one person (splitsunshine) who always gets her asks answered on tumblr by Marc. I think I love her because she asks the best stuff: 

Arrow's PR department needs to step it up a notch. Does Arrow have a lower budget than Flash or something? Flash is always getting new promotional items, from trailers to posters to interviews, while Arrow is stuck with the same old things. A new photoshoot would be nice; i still can't believe you guys photoshopped the promo pics from last year to create his year's season poster btw. New things for fans to get excited over would be appreciated. Arrow is the show that started it all after all.

To which he answered: Preaching to the choir, sister.

She also consistently asks Marc about Thea/Felicity interactions. Gurl is the best.

Ugh. I'mma throw my Arrow blu-rays if Palmer ends up on the new poster (not really, though, that shit was expensive). But I'll be super annoyed.

There is a website called www.teepublic.com. I got a Star Labs shirt and a couple Arrow shirts there.  Not officially licensed, but shirts nonetheless.

Edited by JadisZ2

Unless it's a clear parody, I stick with licensed material.   And in this case, the material was already licensed - the sweatshirts/T-shirts were already made, and since they sold out, I have no idea why no one is manufacturing more. 

^ Me, too. But thank you for the information, JadisZ2. I think the wait for the STAR labs sweatshirts might take a long while, though. DC sucks at merchandise not related to Batman or Superman. Even Wonder Woman, the supposed third leg of the Trinity gets the shaft quite often, especially in Justice League-related merch.

Yeah - I hope I didn't come off too frustrated there, but the thing is: the sweatshirts were made, which means they went through all the appropriate hoops, and could be selling them right now. Hearing that an unlicensed site is selling them just makes me more frustrated, since that means the demand is out there -- but I'm frustrated at DC/WB, not you, JadisZ2, especially since you just proved my point!  These sorts of failures are exactly what allow people to sell unlicensed products.  

So thanks, and my apologies for sounding ungracious/frustrated; it's really not you!  

Yeah - I hope I didn't come off too frustrated there, but the thing is: the sweatshirts were made, which means they went through all the appropriate hoops, and could be selling them right now. Hearing that an unlicensed site is selling them just makes me more frustrated, since that means the demand is out there -- but I'm frustrated at DC/WB, not you, JadisZ2, especially since you just proved my point!  These sorts of failures are exactly what allow people to sell unlicensed products.  

So thanks, and my apologies for sounding ungracious/frustrated; it's really not you!  

I totally agree. I would buy the licensed ones if they were being made. 

^ Me, too. But thank you for the information, JadisZ2. I think the wait for the STAR labs sweatshirts might take a long while, though. DC sucks at merchandise not related to Batman or Superman. Even Wonder Woman, the supposed third leg of the Trinity gets the shaft quite often, especially in Justice League-related merch.

Someone recently posted an article that pointed out that the merchandise people for DC (and Marvel) don't think boys will buy t-shirts with girls on it and that girls won't buy t-shirts period so they don't make the stuff that the female market would even be interested in.  It's a self fulfilling prophecy if they won't make even make the stuff. 

• Love 1

Yet it's the audience that buys the DVDs.

I don't think there's anything wrong with writing to the audience's likes. The audience let's you know what's working and what isn't. That mainframe isn't a negative it's a positive.

I agree with this but on a more complex level. Writing something you're not feeling just because you think it's what the audience wants is not likely to lead you on the paths of good writing. Using audience feedback as a lens through which you reevaluate your work and ideas can lead to improved and more honest work.

The odd thing, to me, is how they've got the worst of both worlds - they're neither giving the audience what they want, nor are they disregarding it to adhere to their own artistic vision. Instead, they're reacting to audience favorites by twisting, refuting, or overemphasizing things. I'm honestly having a hard time seeing how the season as a whole can possibly resolve those issues, and so I think they may be in for disappointment when it comes to DVD sales. i will be pleasantly surprised if not shocked if they manage to have a few decent episodes at the end of the season.

Edited by Ang
  • Love 7

Is there antagonistic fan pandering?? I get this feeling that they like to piss the audience off. And it is very true that even a negative visceral reaction is better than apathy. But it seems like they get a kick out of writing stuff that the audience will go "WTF" to and they want us to think they are pushing the limits or trying to jump the shark. They are daring us to stick around to see how bad it can get before they whip it up to shape by the end. Its like a game of Russian Roulette. I generally do like interesting TV and I do enjoy wondering what's gonna happen & how far can they push the limit - but the problem is I don't think they execute that very well of this show. So far everything this season has been predictable and if it has pushed a line its been my tolerance for the crap they've written & the way they twisted the characters I had come to enjoy. I feel like MG should just get off social media and start working on writing a better show. Other TV series seem to be able to write quality TV for 20+ episodes with most episodes being important and interesting. There is always filler & fluff but in the end you feel invigorated for more. I just wanna FFwd to next season when hopefully they will regroup and write quality TV again, not this craptastic stuff there passing off as TV. If you can't write good stories for 20+ episodes then get a shorter TV order or hire better writers/showrunners. I really can't see what they're gonna be able to do in the last 1/3 of the season that will make me miraculously forget all the horribly written character manipulation that went on this season. I mean I honestly can't think of one character or plot development that happened this season that I have enjoyed beyond Diggle having a baby & that shouldn't even count cuz that happened in s2 it just took some time for the baby to come.

• Love 6

MG's social media presence has been extremely off-putting for me. Last year, I was really enjoying SA's promotion and enthusiasm for the show. MG is making me actively not watch. It's making me tell people not to watch. To think I thought there was a slump in the back half S2; I'd take that mess back in a heartbeat compared to what I'm being offered now. 

I finally watched Supernatural's 200th episode last weekend. I quit the show this year but still have a fondness for the boys. I had, in part, been putting it off because it was described as a love letter to fans and MG's use of that term for that horrible Sara episode made me gun shy. I ended up loving it so much I would be willing to buy the entire season on DVD when it's over just for that one episode. I loved The Secret Origins of Felicity Smoak and 45 minutes of The Calm. I might/might not buy them on iTunes later this year, but I can't think of much they could do for the remaining Arrow episodes to make me ever want to buy this season.

• Love 5
mgnthetiny asked:

How many writers does arrow have?

In addition to Greg, Andrew, and myself, seven.

firststarsisee asked:

Approximately how much time does each episode spend in the cutting room? And how many editors work on each episode?

The amount of time in the editing room totally depends on the episode.  Each episode is cut by an editor and an assistant editor.

tallandfeisty asked:

Marc, quick question (in response to splitsunshines question about Arrow PR) - Do you guys have in-house marketing or is it all handled by the CW?

Warner Bros and the CW share publicity responsibilities.  Marketing is handled by the CW.

http://marcguggenheim.tumblr.com/

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Some non-spoilery MG tumblr responses at http://marcguggenheim.tumblr.com/

thewildkarenina asked:
Pertinent fandom tips: Just because you don't like it, doesn't make it fanservice. I'm really enjoying the season so far, and am looking forward to what you have in store for us in the next few episodes. Here's to Oliver, Felicity, and Diggle sticking around for a good few years to come!

Amen!

tearsofhappiness09 asked:
Dear Mr G. I feel very sorry for your fandom especially fans of Oliver and Felicity relationship. I have never witnessed such dedication, passion and respect. Although I believed that some of them take this show far too seriously, they tend to overreact and act like irritating obssessive humans but it's really disappointing that you don't seem to appreciate them at all especially if they get only your constant teasing, trolling, spurious facts in return.

I love the Olicity fandom.  I really do.  And, due respect, I think they know it.

addicted2olicity asked:
I didn't realize just how much I have enjoyed reading your torturous responses to us Arrow fans, until today. Is there anything else to say to us, about the upcoming episodes, other than death, tears, and years of therapy?

I can definitively say that I don’t think you’ll need years of therapy.

greenarrowolicity asked:
"Before the start of the season was told that this would be an epic season. The rest of the season confirm this?" "It hasn’t been so far?" NO!!! But I'll go a step further and say that whatever happens the rest of the season will not make up for all that was wrong for most of it. Too much focus on other characters and not the core three. Too many people being used to prop up others. Too much emphasis on other heroes and not the MAIN one. Too many masks. Too much angst. No Olicity moments.

I’m sorry you’re disappointed.

xxforeverolicityxx asked:
Will I be dead before Oliver and Felicity actually get together?

Depends.  How old are you?

greenarrowolicity asked:
I defended this season as long as I could, but no more. This season is so disappointing. After last season I expected so much more. I feel bad for getting others onboard with this show who now think the same.

I’m very sorry you feel that way.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

It must really suck/hurt reading about people's disappointments with the show, in particular that one that says they introduced people to Arrow. But then I realise the writers know what we love and like but insist those elements are not what we need. Heh.

• Love 4

I downloaded seasons 1 and 2 on iTunes and bought the DVDs. Even though season 2 fell apart towards the end due to some shoddy setup, I don't regret owning the seasons. However, I can definitively say that no matter what kind of glorious season finale they think they're gearing up for, it won't make up for the terrible writing in the episodes I've watched so far. Aside from a few good individual character moments, the arcs have been just terrible. So yeah - I didn't purchase the season pass like I usually do around December, and I definitely won't be buying the DVDs. I have no interest in watching the next episode either, so I'm just going to wait and finish watching before SDCC or read recaps to see if next season seems worth it. I don't feel excited about the show or the story they're telling. Three of my friends have quit this season too - one after she figured out they were building to Laurel taking Sara's place (bless her, she didn't know the comic background and I didn't have the heart to tell her) and two after Oliver's resurrection episode because they thought it was silly - and they're male comic readers. That's the target demo this season, so if they don't like it either that's pretty bad. My brother's still watching but not live. We're both way more into The Flash and the storyline on SHIELD this season.

I don't know. All due respect to MG, but I think they sorely misjudged what they could get away with this season in the name of 'comics' and to spin off new shows.

• Love 11

It must really suck/hurt reading about people's disappointments with the show, in particular that one that says they introduced people to Arrow. But .

I wonder if MG replied to those comments because he's getting so many of them and he's hoping to make it stop by acknowledging that people are upset.  Up to now, he's basically replied to praise for the show or things he can be sarcastic about, but the negative comments keeps coming in. Maybe he thinks that by acknowledging them, people will stop sending so many, knowing he's hearing the complaints (assuming that he's really hearing them)..

I don't know. All due respect to MG, but I think they sorely misjudged what they could get away with this season in the name of 'comics' and to spin

off new shows

It feels like this season is being written for 11 year old boys.

The thing for me is, he's been hearing these comments for a while now, and there's been time to make changes but he haven't.  People ask for Felicity/Diggle and he says there's a great scene for Diggle with Laurel coming up. They ask for the promised Thea/Felicity scenes and he replies that every time someone asks, he puts it off for another season, it's now set for season 12. 

Before The Return, the WritersRoom twitter asked what three things would you take to a desert island and the top ones were Oliver. Diggle and Felicity.  That was more than a month ago and while there hasn't been time to see on-screen more of Diggle and Felicity, there has been time in terms of social media and spoilers.

Do I think shows should be written for satisfy the loudest part of the audience?  Of course not. But when people keep shouting at you about what you are giving them that they don't want, you should listen.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 9
It feels like this season is being written for 11 year old boys.

I feel like it's being written by 11 year old boys.

Anyhow, SA posted a short video with Jared Padelcki on his FB page. Nothing spoilery, but a lot of cuteness, plus Jared's got a campaign of his own and for a pretty good cause as well.

• Love 11

I'm just wondering since, isn't everything shot in HD these days anyway? and I assume editors for TV shows have far better equipment and programs than your average home editing program, and I assume the file they work on is a high resolution file. 

that's why i'm confused by why it would be so hard to do it, I mean considering your original video file had high res, you can cut a small part from a scene and run it to create stills and than choose the best one. wouldn't the end result still be high res?

I'm probably wrong, but it seems like such an obvious and easy solution (to me anyway) especially if the editor is working with high quality and resolution files to begin with and is using programs suited for a professional user with a bunch of cool features.

Without boring you to tears with tech, the problem is even ultra HD video tends to have lower ppi [pixels per inch] than the 300ppi standard for print media. Some magazines print in 600ppi. So even if Arrow is shooting with an 8k resolution camera, that still photographer is shooting with 4-8 times more resolution than that.

• Love 1

i'm actually intrigued by it, I like these kind of stuff. and by stuff i mean seemingly useless info that you never know when you may need or can just whip out to impress someone (not just romantically). Knowledge is power my friends.

ETA: because while knowledge is power, power is [not] knowledge. or is it? let's chalk (sp) any mistakes in my posts to lack of sleep and english being my second language so idioms and fun stuff like that get screwed up in my head when i'm tired (and sometimes when i'm not!). okay, yea... i think i should call it a night.

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 1