Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

Thanks Morrigan2575 for the reference. Gotta say I was surprised to hear the possibility of an actual comparision. This article makes more sense that MG lifted & referenced WW/TC. I love both shows, but I doubt ARROW will ever be on the level of West Wing in the Sorkin years. And Two Cathedrals, well like Martin Sheen said in that article, its one of the best tv episodes in american TV.

Personally, I think the reference was both combination of Guggie's ego getting away in his grangiose delusions of his writing. Although he does write some good stuff, its not quite TC level yet. But he frequently does steal pop culture references & lines to explain his material, as well as stir the pot to get some interest in the story. Dropping Sorkin reference is a way to get people talking, good media strategy.  

Not gonna lie. I would be more excited to meet jon Stewart than fight Stardust. But its then again im more into comedy than WWE. Congrats to SA though living out his childhood dreams. He really is having an awesome summer!!

• Love 8

I missed the SummerSlam live streaming (and the above video is no longer working), so I found these video clips on youtube...

WWE SummerSlam 2015 Neville & Stephen Amell vs. Stardust & King Barrett _ WWE network
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clKqAa6CVts

WWE Summerslam 2015 Full Show Stephen Amell and Neville vs Stardust and King Barrett Full Match
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR2F8hq_o00

Jon Stewart and a shirtless Stephen Amell bring extra attention to wrestling hijinks [PHOTO SLIDESHOW]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R401DS-_wOs

From watching the video of SA and DR in Birmingham (City of Heroes) that's posted on page 187 of this thread, I loved these conversations about EBR as an actress...

DR: "It's tough to shoot a bad scene or a tough scene with Emily because she's a very giving actress and that's probably the best compliment that you can give to any other actor - it's that they're giving and they listen, because actors have a tendency of waiting until they have to speak. Because the nature of the business is they encourage you to just kind of be selfish and wait for your line - ."
SA (cuts in): "We're not gonna name names."
DR: "We're not gonna name names."

SA: "One of the nice things about working with Emily is that she comes to a scene at once incredibly prepared but also without any real firm choices. She waits to make her choices until she gets an opportunity to put the scene on the [unintelligible word] with an actor, which is how you're supposed to do it."
DR: "Which is the mark, by the way, of a very well-trained or seasoned actor, if you will, that they come with very good choices already but at the same time with no choices,... they're really pliable...  It's just a really good quality... no wonder she's become a regular very quickly."

When asked about his fave scene to shoot with EBR, DR said that his "most fun" scene with Emily was back in season 1 when Diggle was teaching Felicity how to fight in the foundry.

DR: "She's just a joy to work with. Every scene is just a lot of fun to work with."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 16

Post-fight interview...

Is the rivalry over between Stephen Amell and Stardust?: WWE.com Exclusive, August 23, 2015
Stephen Amell & Neville reflect on their victory and the "Arrow" star wonders if his rivalry is over with Stardust

I may find WWE completely ridiculous, but I'm happy for the guy. It must be pretty exciting living out your dream and it (seemingly at least) meeting your expectations.

DR: "It's tough to shoot a bad scene or a tough scene with Emily because she's a very giving actress and that's probably the best compliment that you can give to any other actor - it's that they're giving and they listen, because actors have a tendency of waiting until they have to speak. Because the nature of the business is they encourage you to just kind of be selfish and wait for your line - ."
SA (cuts in): "We're not gonna name names."
DR: "We're not gonna name names."

This reminded me of the scene in the Foudry when it looked like Laurel was a robot that just activited.

• Love 6

It warms my heart how much SA and DR love EBR and love working with her. It comes through in every OTA scene, which is why I pray there will be more of them this season.

Also, Sports Illustrated's media reporter/critic praised SA on Twitter today, calling his performance last night "excellent." 

• Love 7

I wonder if he was actually throwing shade at KC.  I would have guessed not, except for that appearance awhile back when he mimicked her absolutely immobile face.  That was, while quite accurate, surprisingly mean. 

Edited by AyChihuahua
  • Love 2

I read it more as SA throwing shade because really DR wasn't saying anything bad. SA was the one that interjected. That being said, I think the shade may have been unintended. He may have just been trying to be funny but given DRs history of throwing shade and maybe some preconceived audience perception that's how it went over.

• Love 2

I read it more as SA throwing shade because really DR wasn't saying anything bad. SA was the one that interjected. That being said, I think the shade may have been unintended. He may have just been trying to be funny but given DRs history of throwing shade and maybe some preconceived audience perception that's how it went over.

DR was throwing shade at somebody.  He was contrasting EBR with other actors who are selfish and just wait for their own lines.  That's not exactly complimentary.  That doesn't mean it's KC, but it's somebody. 

• Love 4

The thing was that SA's interjection made it seem like they were both thinking about the same person(s), that this was something that maybe they'd discussed between the two of them. That may not be the case at all, but that's how it came across to me.

• Love 10

Charlotte Ross has said something similar about Emily, that she comes prepared but is not afraid to change her plan if the scene is playing out another way. I can't find that specific interview, but here's what she said on TV Line when Donna returned for 3x18:

"She sent me a text before I even showed up on set for my first episode, saying, “Welcome aboard. If you want to rehearse, here’s my telephone number. If you want to get together and talk about the characters…” She was wonderful from the get-go. And I told her that I love improv, so whatever she was up for, let’s try different things and not be afraid to think outside the box. She’s so open and receptive as an actress. And again, they’ve written such a fun character for me to play that we’re giggling half the time!"

• Love 7

I love the idea that EBR and CR were improving around before they shot their scenes.

The thing was that SA's interjection made it seem like they were both thinking about the same person(s), that this was something that maybe they'd discussed between the two of them. That may not be the case at all, but that's how it came across to me.

They may not necessarily have discussed it, it may just be one of those unspoken things.

I suspect there was a quantity of alcohol involved before that panel and Stephen was still drinking.  As I wish the person in front of me at the concert on Saturday had realized, inhibitions are there for a reason.

Really it may have nothing with KC. I admit that's where my mind went too, but Katrina Law and Paul Blackthorne have always praised KC highly, and I think even DR did this last winter during one of his interviews around the time Arrow was coming back from midseason break. I know he did throw shade at her that one time about her face not moving, but this may not have anything to do with her at all. *shrug*

• Love 1

I don't think SA and DR were necessarily talking about anyone on the show. Both DR and SA are seasoned veteran actors and have worked with a lot of different actors over the years.  That just seems like they were speaking in more general terms about their experiences over all and how Emily for her youth ( she is all of 23?) and relative professional inexperience brings that quality. JMHO

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 2

I wouldn't have thought of KC at all if not for DR having very clearly thrown shade at her in the past.  To a pretty surprising degree, actually.

Love the meme, still HATE the hair and makeup (and don't like the dress).

• Love 2

I wouldn't have thought of KC at all if not for DR having very clearly thrown shade at her in the past.  To a pretty surprising degree, actually.

Love the meme, still HATE the hair and makeup (and don't like the dress).

Agreed. If it were anyone else but DR (and to an extent SA) I don't think anyone would give it a second thought. It's the fact that both actors could be accused of throwing shade at one point or another at KC that makes people read into it, possibly more than the actors intended.

• Love 3

DR seemed like he was talking about actors in general, perhaps alluding to mutual experiences. But then SA made it seem like shade, because of the whole "won't name any names" that to me sounds like an inside joke the two have shared in the past regarding an acting experience. It could have been anyone or no one, but it did feel like they were tossing some shade. It seemed like for a moment they forgot that they were with others and just talking some shit over some beers. Then again, they both like to get crowd reactions, so maybe they were just playing it up for the crowd.

Its one of the reasons, I love when they (esp SA) does Q&As with a little alcohol on board. He tends to lose his filter whether it be commentary or spoilers, and its so fun to watch.

• Love 4

I'm sure it was fun for him, and I'd think for her. Like Mindy Kaling said, smooching attractive people is not exactly a chore. It's part of their job, so as long as they don't do anything outside of the job, it's all good.

• Love 2

It's definitely one of the perks of the job! I wouldn't mind having that job. I'm not saying it probably doesn't get awkward from time to time. But seriously, it's definitely funner than my job. Actually most of what they do seems like it would be a lot of fun to get paid to do for a living.

• Love 1

I'm sure it was fun for him, and I'd think for her. Like Mindy Kaling said, smooching attractive people is not exactly a chore. It's part of their job, so as long as they don't do anything outside of the job, it's all good.

To be fair, there are probably people that would find kissing someone they don't have intimate feelings about a chore but then they might be in the wrong line of business. Or their partner is gross on some physical or mental level.