Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: No Refills

yeswedo

Harvey brings some star power to his ongoing conflict with Jack Soloff - a conflict that Louis and Donna can't seem to stay clear of. Mike brings in Robert Zane to co-counsel a case, pitting his instincts as a lawyer against his desire to stay in his future father-in-law's good graces. And while Jessica mediates between Mike and Zane, she tasks Rachel with an unusual assignment.

I have no idea what happened with most of the episode, I just know that Gina Torres' wardrobe is amazing...and I just realized the woman that plays Donna has a very manly walk. When she turned to walk out of Louis' office it was not pretty. 

I swear the writers read boards and blogs....now Rachel and Jessica are interacting.  I personally feel the best thing they could have done was move Donna away from Harvey. He has already become more interesting to me with Gretchen, and why can't she also be awesome?  

I'm so tired of the power struggles and blackmailing that I can't make it through too many more episodes with that. I don't know how they don't realize this was a much better show when it was the case of the week and the partners working together. 

Yep, somebody called it. It is just a matter of time before Rachel's dad knows everything...and is forcing Jessica to merge with him or something.  

Why does Harvey's relationship with his therapist have to be tinged with flirtation? 

'

• Love 2

Yo Harvey, Gretchen is more than just "all right", she's the SHIT. (Well, in the vernacular of the show-- is it me or do they overuse "shit" on the show this season?) Besides, Harvey needs an ace on his side especially with Donna leaving him for Louis and Mike leaving him for Zane and his panic attacks returning. Though Harvey must really be losing it if he thinks-- even for a second-- that his loyal puppy Mike would abandon him. I'm still not warming up to the psychiatrist, but I'm glad someone finally called Harvey out on the enormous power imbalance between him and Donna.

Even pairing Rachel with the awesomeness that is Jessica doesn't make her interesting. I don't know if it's the writing or the actress. I've always found her character bland and ill-defined. Other than being Mike's love interest, who is she really?

• Love 2

The only thing interesting about Mike's screen time this episode is him during the panic attack and in the courtroom--the rest can go.

Louis is a fucking idiot. He almost got fired for that illegal shit he did with that investment banker or whatever the hell he was and KNEW he was on thin ice, he then thought it was a bright idea to leak Harvey's last three paychecks in order to sway a vote and thought it wouldn't come back to bite him on the ass. He wasn't fired, but he is a named partner under the mercy of a senior partner because he couldn't keep his feelings in check.

I'm just confused about Donna. I can understand her reasons for leaving, but I don't get her hostility (I'll find a better word later, maybe) unless she is still subconsciously upset that Harvey dismissed her. Yes, she has a right to feel offended at being "fought over", but I think it goes deeper than that because we saw traces of it the episode prior. Because if Harvey had let her stay the two weeks, I don't think she'd be treating him like she has. Donna is free to leave, BUT she knew how he'd feel about her leaving him for Louis (and just in general). I won't hold Donna responsible for Harvey, but how did she expect him to take her quitting suddenly? They didn't sit down and talk about it, it was "Harvey, I'm leaving you," and then literally walking away. She knows better than anyone that he has abandonment issues and trust issues for days and that was the best way to give her notice? lol. 

And I find her tactics when "defending" herself against him to be a bit harsh. I think she may be overcompensating to prove a point to herself, Harvey, and Louis, which leads into the argument on the couch. Is that what Harvey believes Donna feels or is that how she truly feels? It's been noted that there is a power imbalance, but I wouldn't even begin to describe their relationship as Harvey bullying Donna. We've consistently seen that Harvey can be harsh and demanding, but when he crosses a line, he apologizes. He's at least apologized for bad behavior in every episode since this season started and he apologized whenever the snapped at Donna in the past. And Donna's response to him when defending Louis saying never, I believe, brings out a lot of insecurity with Harvey because she matters most to him and her opinion is the most important, but not only has she left him, she basically said he wasn't worth coming back to. Do I believe Donna really feel this way? No. But, I think her anger and need to overcompensate is hurting an already delicate relationship.

• Love 5

(Well, in the vernacular of the show-- is it me or do they overuse "shit" on the show this season?) 

Yeah, they were making good and long over-use of many of the seven words you can't say.  Lazy writing.  

• Love 1

I know better than to think this show has any basis in legal reality, but a 900 page Complaint and a trial date scheduled a week after it is filed? There is so much "no" here that it really is silly. No wonder so many people are okay with nonlawyer Mike continuing to practice law. Must keep repeating "It is only a TV show, it is only a TV show,..."

I don't want any more Louis/Harvey drama. It's all so manufactured and overdone. I'm fine with them teaming up against Jack(ass) but Harvey already knows Louis practically worships him. It would be so easy to keep Louis in check - just throw him a bone every now and then. And Louis, if you don't know what to do, talk to your brilliant and amazing secretary who seems to have all the answers all the time. I much prefer the team up against an outside foe rather than the in-fighting.

I can't with Harvey and Donna fighting. I get it makes for good television but I guess it's my inner-child-of-divorce that just doesn't handle it well.

And I swear to whatever is out there if Harvey boinks his shrink instead of Donna I will be utterly pissed.

Decent show for a change. Love the combo of Robert and Mike. The Harvey vs Louis and Jack makes for an interesting personal drama. Minimize Rachel, highlight Jessica and it makes Suits the show most of us fell in love with in the beginning.

I am loving the Harvey panic attacks - so vulnerable. I very much appreciated that he didn't try to fake his way thru it with Mike - he admitted it right away. And after Jack left,  when Mike asked if he was ok, he honestly replied "no." and he realizes he needs help. Yes, he can be a dick, but i feel like he's the only one who's at least *trying* to be a better person. or at least a better version of himself. 

I did like Rachel and Jessica together, altho normally I have no use for Rachel.

Very much liked Father Zane and Mike together.

Gretchen is the SHIT.

• Love 3

When did Mike become so powerful he can speak any way he wants to his bosses ?  Do. Not. Like. Arrogant Mike.  Than in the courtroom he was impressive and his care and concern for Harvey was much more appealing.  Love the new secretary and can't help but wonder what they will do with her when Donna returns to Harvey.  I would rather he keep the current woman - she's great.

• Love 2

When did Mike become so powerful he can speak any way he wants to his bosses ?  Do. Not. Like. Arrogant Mike.  Than in the courtroom he was impressive and his care and concern for Harvey was much more appealing.  Love the new secretary and can't help but wonder what they will do with her when Donna returns to Harvey.  I would rather he keep the current woman - she's great.

That's actually the norm for Mike, he has done it with Jessica before and gotten away with it. 

• Love 1

Yes, his is just more natural than the others.  I don't know, the color of the dress along with the hair style was an odd choice. I wondered if they specifically wanted to highlight how great Jessica looked at that moment. 

What's up with the end scene where Harvey threaten to bury Louis? I thought Harvey knows that it's mostly Jack's doing and that Louis was already backing off.

Not that Louis was completely innocent, since it kinda started with him being petty... still though. So exhausting! Aren't they already working 18 hours a day? Where do they even find the time/energy to continue all these childish shenanigans?

Was that an actual case pointing its head out of the dirt pile of intramural squabbling and backbiting that has become the weekly ritual at PSL? 

If only Zane could be given a bit more opportunity to exercise that wit of his, because it is getting to the point where I'm wading around in the shallow end of the pool, just tuning in to see what Jessica and Donna are wearing. 

And, yeah, Gretchen is all that and a box of chips.

What's up with the end scene where Harvey threaten to bury Louis? I thought Harvey knows that it's mostly Jack's doing and that Louis was already backing off.

Does he? 

Jack was boasting that Louis had his back to Harvey IIRC. And although Harvey didn't directly witness Jack telling Louis that he'd better be on the same page with him or he would rat Louis out (which doesn't make sense because it's mutually assured destruction), Harvey knows from years and years of experience with Louis that he will stab people in the back, show horrific judgment, hold grudges and/or fold whenever.

• Love 2