Type keyword(s) to search

Mulder and Scully: Partners Together in Crime.

I think the thing I love about HTGSC besides ghosts and Christmas... cause cool! ... is that Mulder arranges this pseudo Mulder-date to take Scully ghost hunting with him on Christmas Eve, and Scully... she just can't help herself.  She goes there, of course, and in the end despite all of her protestations she really wanted to be there with him. Because she always chooses him over a normal life. They're such lovely idiots.

• Love 3

I think the thing I love about HTGSC besides ghosts and Christmas... cause cool! ... is that Mulder arranges this pseudo Mulder-date to take Scully ghost hunting with him on Christmas Eve, and Scully... she just can't help herself.  She goes there, of course, and in the end despite all of her protestations she really wanted to be there with him. Because she always chooses him over a normal life. They're such lovely idiots.

Nah... they're not idiots :P.

Just livin' outside the norm ;).

I think the thing I love about HTGSC besides ghosts and Christmas... cause cool! ... is that Mulder arranges this pseudo Mulder-date to take Scully ghost hunting with him on Christmas Eve, and Scully... she just can't help herself. She goes there, of course, and in the end despite all of her protestations she really wanted to be there with him. Because she always chooses him over a normal life. They're such lovely idiots.

Yes! I love this episode for this reason, and because I particularly enjoy episodes that develop the MS relationship... And thanks for reminding me I need to watch the Christmas episodes! Isn't there another one with Scully and her family?

Oh yeah, you're right! I was thinking of a later one, where her brother and his wife visit or she visits them and Scullys all sad because she can't have a baby. And I think there's a flashback to when she and her sister get the cross necklaces maybe?

Christmas carol and Emily. Though those are depressing (and mess up continuity in such a big way it annoys the crap outta me re: the necklaces). Like, seriously, if shows had even one a Fan on staff they would never make glaring errors in continuity, lol

Still good episodes though and GA is fantastic. I still love DDs Mr Potato head face that he makes

Edited by GeekGirlnb
  • Love 2

Like, seriously, if shows had even one a Fan on staff they would never make glaring errors in continuity, lol

Even Gillian of the infamously bad memory knew it was wrong and told CC, but he left it in.

• Love 2

Christmas carol and Emily. Though those are depressing (and mess up continuity in such a big way it annoys the crap outta me re: the necklaces). Like, seriously, if shows had even one a Fan on staff they would never make glaring errors in continuity, lol

Still good episodes though and GA is fantastic. I still love DDs Mr Potato head face that he makes

That face was priceless lol.

Beyond the Sea is on right now, on the Chiller X-files marathon. 

When Mulder touches her face I get tingly.  Dana indeed.

Ugh, you guys are feeding my obsession right now! I have become re-obsessed with the XF through my rewatch! I'm practically squeeing over here over M & S! It's one tiny step into searching for fanfic and I'll be a lost cause!

Stop me!

You know, GA is a wonderful crier. I know Scully gets a lot of flack for being overly emotional in Season 8... But GIRL had some stressful crap going on. And hormones! I'm about to start getting into S8 and I'm gonna give her some slack!

DD... Rarely got the cry right. Redux was good. And was it Herrenvolk or talitha Cumi when his mom was in the hospital? His silent cry was good there too. BUT the man could do the gruff, cry/sob stuck in his throat like no one else (except maybe Jensen Ackles/Dean Winchester... Good lord don't get me started)

I think ephemeralfic is still up.  :)

• Love 1

MULDER: I want to do this, Scully. For so many reasons. But what I’m not sure of is what happens then. I mean, I know what happens, but what about between me and you? What about work, the X-Files…
SCULLY: I don’t know. I haven’t thought about it really. I’m assuming I would take a leave of absence.
MULDER: As strange as it may sound, I just don’t want this to come between us in any way.

Wow, was that really in the original script? Why didn't they use it? It makes a lot more sense than what actually aired. *facepalm* 

MULDER: I want to do this, Scully. For so many reasons. But what I’m not sure of is what happens then. I mean, I know what happens, but what about between me and you? What about work, the X-Files…

SCULLY: I don’t know. I haven’t thought about it really. I’m assuming I would take a leave of absence.

MULDER: As strange as it may sound, I just don’t want this to come between us in any way.

Wow, was that really in the original script? Why didn't they use it? It makes a lot more sense than what actually aired. *facepalm* 

What episode was that a part of originally, script wise?

Sounds like whichever one had the flashback to the IVF conversation.  Per Manum, I think.  (But I'm not entirely sure, since by then I only read about the show.)

• Love 1

Per Manum, I would assume.  Here's what actually aired -

SCULLY: Can I take your coat?

MULDER: No, I can't stay. I gotta get back to the office for a while.

SCULLY: Obviously you've had some time to think about my request.

MULDER: Um, it's... it's not something that I get asked to do every day. Um, but I am absolutely flattered.

(SCULLY looks embarrassed.)

MULDER: No, honestly.

SCULLY: Okay, if... if you're trying to politely say "no," it's okay. I, I understand.

(She avoids his eyes.)

MULDER: See what's weird is... this sounds, and this sounds really weird, I know, but I, I just wouldn't want this to come between us.

(SCULLY is devastated, but tries to cover it up.)

SCULLY: Yeah. I know... I, I understand. I do.

(Realizing that she has misunderstood, MULDER reaches out as if to stroke her cheek, but pulls back.)

MULDER: Well ... the answer is "yes."

(About 18 emotions cross SCULLY's face in four seconds. She is happy. They smile at each other. She comes into his arms and they hold each other for a moment. Things are still a little awkward as they part.)

Yeah, it was Per Manum, from one of the flashbacks.

I just found this: http://cleigh6.tripod.com/CTP/CTP-permanum.html

It's very interesting.

Yea it is.

During one of the press junkets toward the beginning of Season 8, Chris Carter was asked if Scully's pregnancy meant that the notoriously stiff and guarded Scully had been having sex. "Yes, there's a potential she was having sex," Carter said sarcastically. "We're going to play with that storyline." But when asked if The X-Files would ever show such a relationship "in the flesh," Carter replied, "This is prime time. You can't consummate a relationship."

Chris, you ass. /facepalm

Playing is one thing, being an idiot is another.

But tbh and to be fair: 

Dread Central: The relationship between Mulder and Scully has always been so complicated, even through the second movie. How hard was it balancing out their relationship and keeping true to what’s best for the characters versus what would make the fans happy most (seeing them happy together)?

Chris Carter: You know, we spent so much time and energy keeping them apart; I think that constantly fluctuating dynamic was something the fans really responded to. But then it felt dishonest after all those years that if they were going to still be together that they wouldn’t be together romantically. That’s why we ended up putting them together. And even though we’ve seen them together in bed on the big screen, we really haven’t seen that relationship explored or developed yet so I think there’s room to do that. I do think that we were rewarding expectation by putting Mulder and Scully together though; it would have been ridiculous to keep them apart.

Source: http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/46894/exclusive-interview-creator-chris-carter-looks-back-at-the-x-files-discusses-potential-third-movie-and-more/

He seems to have grown up since then. At least for the most part.

We got to SEE the word 'sex' XD. So he's come that far lol. And Mulder tried his best to get some ;). Gotta start somewhere I guess. *shrug*

Just came across this while looking up 'pause face mulder' on Google :P.

A nice X Files in jokes list

The X-Files In-Jokes list is one of my most frequently used resources for XF (along with insidethex) and has been for over 15 years. It's great. I think it's awesome that both of those sites are still around, since most of the sites I frequented back when the show was still on are long gone from the web. 

Edited by smrou
  • Love 1

http://thetvmouse.co.../the-x-files-2/

Okay I realize this was from way back in this thread but I just wanted to thank you for it. I have already wasted many hours there and I still have so much to go because I'm not reading the posts till I get to that point in my rewatch. My favorites so far:

From Anasazi:

Scully shot Mulder, drugged him, and drove him across the country to save his life, and I think that’s beautiful.

Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose and general season 2 & 3:

Something only lives as long as the last person who remembers it, and I will never stop shouting Scully’s name from the rooftops, so that sounds about right.

FTF: (This one's my fave)

Mulder apologizes. He thinks he did something wrong, and it kills me, because he has nothing to be sorry for. Scully wanted to kiss him. The moment was there, but so was that bee. That damn bee. Nothing is safe. Did someone give you a present recently? It’s probably bees. If you just pulled your sheets out of the dryer and they’re clean and fresh and warm, watch out for the bees. That pint of ice cream in the freezer? It’s got bees where the cookie dough should be. Have you just been assigned a cute FBI partner with wire-rimmed glasses and great hair, and do you think you might want to share a kiss in five years, after you’ve made each other better people and saved each other’s lives more times than you can count? A bee has other plans. Mulder said on that roof that we live in a universe of infinite possibilities. I imagine all of those possibilities will eventually be ruined by bees.

This lady is so funny and she's such a cute little fangirl.

Not sure if it was mentioned further back in the thread, but TVMouse is an Entertainment Weekly writer -- many of TXF articles we see in the print magazine and online are by her.  It's nice to have a genuine fan doing many of the interviews and articles. 

I just read through this entire thread during lunch at work and I'm grinning at my phone like an idiot.

"Sheet eating Mulder" made me snort out loud and giggle....and everyone looked at me weird.

Oh, Mulder and Scully. These two will be the death of me....the only characters and only show I've loved for 23 years. =)

• Love 1

That had me cracking up too. Can't wait till I get there in my rewatch.

One thing I do think that DD did very well was the look he would give her when she'd say or do something funny or that he didn't expect. He adored her. 

Edited by festivus
  • Love 2

One thing I do think that DD did very well was the look he would give her when she'd say or do something funny or that he didn't expect. He adored her. 

He did and it totally showed in those moments. The man was smitten from very early on. =)

So, I just finished E.B.E. in my rewatch and for some reason got to thinking, what do you suppose our favorite FBI partners talked about during those long car rides to and fro across the nation? In this episode Scully says something about their having followed a truck for hours, and it made me wonder. This was back before they really knew each other and before Scully wanted to get out of the damn car. So, what did they talk about? Did they tell jokes, share stories about their lives, or was it all "Scully that was seriously a UFO we passed just now" and "Mulder, you're crazy"?

Maybe shared trauma and long car trips is the recipe for a relationship like Mulder and Scully's.

You know, I've never thought about that. I think I'm going to have to now.  All I can picture is Mulder spouting out crazy ideas and Scully laughing at him. Then she pretends to sleep.

ETA:

Okay I thought about it a little. I still think that's what they would be doing even in the later years. Mulder would still be throwing out wild theories and Scully would argue with him and he would love it because he adores her. Then she actually would sleep.

Edited by festivus
  • Love 2

From another thread:

I think we're talking about two different things here. I wasn't talking about including a sex scene on the show (though I can only imagine what would have happened had they ever done so.  Talking about Internet explosions).  I was just talking about an actual acknowledgement of their sexual relationship.  To be perfectly honest, for all that "all things" was a mess of an episode, that was probably the right way to acknowledge their relationship.  I guess we're supposed to believe that was the first time they were together sexually, but I always sort of liked the idea that the scene just showed what was happening for a while.

Also, I just don't agree "it was internet fans who made the relationship about a lack of sex, not the show. On the show, it was inconsequential and given no real attention."  I mean, yes, certainly, some fans were completely obsessed with the subject.   But I really don't agree that their sexual relationship - whatever the status - was inconsequential on the show and given no real attention.  That was kind of my point - in CC's efforts to be coy on the status of their relationship, he was writing around what was obvious to anyone watching.  And that ultimately was unnecessary and hurt the storytelling in some of the later seasons.  Had they acknowledged their relationship and integrated it into some of those episodes, their relationship would have been placed in the proper context in the show.  I just don't believe it was all because of the fans that their romantic relationship became such an off-screen obsession - I think that the writers/producers all had a lot to do with it.

I feel the same way - sure I’d watch a love scene, because M&S are hot and hot together, but it would need to be in keeping with the style of the show not to feel out of place and I don’t care that we’ll never get one unless someone shoves CC in a closet, points a camera at David and Gillian, and says, “Go.”  That’s not what bothered me the first time around; what bothered me was the show twisting itself into knots to play coy rather than just acknowledge what was happening.  To me, that’s what all things did – finally confirmed the physical aspect of their relationship (it didn’t feel like a first time to me, it felt like the first time after Scully came to terms with the fact her life was where she wanted it to be, even though it bore no resemblance to what she used to want) in a way that wasn't "Hey, this is XF, not Melrose Place!" distracting.

The chemistry and connection are so great, the relationship always felt very natural to me for the first five seasons or so and does again to me now (and did in IWTB), but there was that middle period where the failure to just acknowledge the progression of their relationship and move the hell on was a bit of a frustrating damper on what I was seeing.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3

But...why did you need confirmation? Were you genuinely confused about what their relationship was? I just feel like I never was. They were pretty dedicated to one another from the start by virtue of the job they did and the professional relationship they had, they didn't really date anyone else, maybe they'd started sleeping together, maybe they hadn't, and by the seventh (sixth?) season they'd definitely shifted to a more romantic relationship. Granted, I am still just on season 1 in my rewatch. I hadn't ever really thought about it much before, but I'm going to pay attention this time around to when it seems like the relationship changes. I can't remember at all. I mostly just remember moments, and there were so many of those from very early on. When is the baseball episode? Isn't that early? I mean, the bug bites was in the pilot; I feel like it just started there and never went backward...until the trust issues much later, and by then, the relationship had definitely shifted.

From another thread:

I feel the same way - sure I’d watch a love scene, because M&S are hot and hot together, but it would need to be in keeping with the style of the show not to feel out of place and I don’t care that we’ll never get one unless someone shoves CC in a closet, points a camera at David and Gillian, and says, “Go.”  That’s not what bothered me the first time around; what bothered me was the show twisting itself into knots to play coy rather than just acknowledge what was happening.  To me, that’s what all things did – finally confirmed the physical aspect of their relationship (it didn’t feel like a first time to me, it felt like the first time after Scully came to terms with the fact her life was where she wanted it to be, even though it bore no resemblance to what she used to want) in a way that wasn't "Hey, this is XF, not Melrose Place!" distracting.

This brings up a point somewhat unrelated to what we were talking about, which is the question of how much drives their relationship. I don't think I really thought about this much during the first run but now that the nature of their relationship is explicit, it has become apparent that it was really all about Scully coming to terms with her feelings for Mulder and not the other way around.  Like I said, Carter saying that Mulder fell in love with Scully as soon as she walked into his office doesn't really work for me (in part because I'm not a believer in love at first sight) but a). I do think that Mulder would have been all over it had Scully knocked on his door in the middle of the night at any point early in the relationship and b). his feelings for her were pretty well established by the time she was abducted. (I mean, I still find one of the most shocking images of any show ever is the scene where Mulder breaks down in his apartment in One Breath - you just don't see male characters fall apart like that on most shows, especially not over a woman). 

I was rereading a review of Never Again, since Glen Morgan had said that he puts Home Again in a trilogy with the original Home and Never Again.  And yes, Mulder is an incredible ass in that episode but he's probably rightfully a little shocked at Scully's behavior there, especially because he sits across from her every day and practically radiates "I love you" with his every action. Again, that doesn't excuse how incredibly self-centered he can be about their relationship but his behavior at the end of the episode makes more sense to me now that I realize that yes, the writers and DD were being pretty deliberate in showing that Mulder was in love with Scully. But then that episode also becomes really interesting in looking at Scully's path and why she fell in love with Mulder and why she continues to stay with him.  So at the end of the day, most of the first run really is about Scully's feelings as it is about Mulder's quest (and monsters and aliens and stuff :)).

But...why did you need confirmation? Were you genuinely confused about what their relationship was? I just feel like I never was. They were pretty dedicated to one another from the start by virtue of the job they did and the professional relationship they had, they didn't really date anyone else, maybe they'd started sleeping together, maybe they hadn't, and by the seventh (sixth?) season they'd definitely shifted to a more romantic relationship.

I needed confirmation because, as I enumerated above, I think that their relationship evolved, primarily on Scully's part, and watching that evolution was interesting to me. I don't think that their relationship was ever as static as you lay out here - I think that like in real life, there were lots of digressions and one-step-forward-one-step-back moments that was illustrative of complicated relationships. (And honestly, theirs is one of the most complicated relationships in popular culture).  I also think it was interesting to see how deep both the writers and the actors could go in portraying a relationship, and a sexual relationship is part of that, IMO, at least for these two particular characters.  To some extent, The X-Files presented one of the most in-depth portrayals of a marriage (or long term relationship) on television, and sex is a part of that, IMO. 

Edited by eleanorofaquitaine

Like I said, Carter saying that Mulder fell in love with Scully as soon as she walked into his office doesn't really work for me (in part because I'm not a believer in love at first sight)

To be fair, Carter didn't say it was love at first sight. (I don't believe in that either.) He, Gillian, and David were asked when THEY knew Mulder and Scully loved each other; Carter said the moment Scully walked into Mulder's office. I took that to mean that he as the writer knew it from the start and always planned for them to fall in love.

I'm currently watching season 1, and I can say that Mulder seems to feel something for Scully when her father dies. She's super upset and wants to believe that the guy about to be executed does speak to the dead and can relay messages from her dad. Mulder thinks he's a fraud. But there seems to be a real sense on Mulder's part of what she needs in her grief and they have a conversation about faith and believing in things. Plus, Scully flips her shit on the prisoner because he got Mulder shot, and she screams at him that if Mulder dies because of his crap, she'll step in and execute him herself. I think it has begun...

I don't think the.relationship was static at all. I think it was always clear. To me, there's a big difference.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 2

From another thread:

The chemistry and connection are so great, the relationship always felt very natural to me for the first five seasons or so and does again to me now (and did in IWTB), but there was that middle period where the failure to just acknowledge the progression of their relationship and move the hell on was a bit of a frustrating damper on what I was seeing.

Bingo.

CC's game playing gets very old.

But I'm honestly wondering what he's playing at this go. Really. It's getting frustrating again.

Not to bring in the revival here. But honestly, sometimes I really wonder with him.

I think Mulder did fall for Scully the minute she walked in his office (who wouldn't?) I just don't think CC thought that then although he says it now. I admit that I don't have a good memory but I think this is a more recent thing he's saying. If someone who remembers better can tell me different then I will accept that.

Anyway, the more interesting story as others have said is her falling for him. Whatever he (CC) thought at the beginning his noromo thing ended up working out really well for the show. I think all I said was that with those characters and actors that there was no stopping that train not that he necessarily wanted to stop it.

Oh and I just realized I'm talking about something I said in the season 1 thread. 

Edited by festivus
  • Love 1

I think Mulder did fall for Scully the minute she walked in his office (who wouldn't?) I just don't think CC thought that then although he says it now. I admit that I don't have a good memory but I think this is a more recent thing he's saying. If someone who remembers better can tell me different then I will accept that.

Anyway, the more interesting story as others have said is her falling for him. Whatever he (CC) thought at the beginning his noromo thing ended up working out really well for the show. I think all I said was that with those characters and actors that there was no stopping that train not that he necessarily wanted to stop it.

Oh and I just realized I'm talking about something I said in the season 1 thread.

In the pilot, Scully comes to Mulder's room in the middle of the night wearing nothing but a bra, underwear, and a bathrobe, loses the bathrobe, and has him look at her bug bites...by candlelight, while the camera (in Mulder's point of view) moves slowly over the curve of her back. Then she stays in his room on the bed, they talk through the night, and he confides in her the story of his sister's abduction, an experience that defines him...also by candlelight. And you're saying you don't believe the writer planned from that first episode for them to fall in love??

I agree that in many ways the show's love story is more about Scully falling for Mulder and how that changes her than the other way around, but I'd argue that's because the story is mostly told from her point of view. We see the action mostly through her eyes, not Mulder's. In many ways she became the protagonist and the more interesting character, and that, I'd believe, wasn't planned. My guess was always that the depth Gillian brought to the character of Scully was unexpected because she was so young and green; she tends to command attention and has stood out as exceptional in everything I've seen her do since. Though I've also read that Chris Carter really fought the network to get and keep her in the beginning, so maybe he knew more than we give him credit for.

Edited by madam magpie

In the pilot, Scully comes to Mulder's room in the middle of the night wearing nothing but a bra, underwear, and a bathrobe, loses the bathrobe, and has him look at her bug bites...by candlelight, while the camera (in Mulder's point of view) moves slowly over the curve of her back. Then she stays in his room on the bed, they talk through the night, and he confides in her the story of his sister's abduction, an experience that defines him...also by candlelight. And you're saying you don't believe the writer planned from that first episode for them to fall in love??

I'm not sure if that scene in and of itself is proof that he planned for them to fall in love from the first episode. I suspect he was keeping his options open, in terms of their relationship, and plus to test their chemistry.  But I do agree that scene ultimately sets the tone for their relationship for the rest of the series.

I'm not sure if that scene in and of itself is proof that he planned for them to fall in love from the first episode. I suspect he was keeping his options open, in terms of their relationship, and plus to test their chemistry. But I do agree that scene ultimately sets the tone for their relationship for the rest of the series.

That absolutely baffles me. To me, the planning is so incredibly obvious. I mean, he may have planned it and not known if it would work, but that's still planned. The entire pilot is a test. It always is. The writer has to put all of the elements of story into one script in order to sell the premise, and writers go into that knowing what story they want to tell. The writing process isn't just throwing shit against a wall and hoping for the best. It's thinking and rethinking, planning, replanning, crafting, rewriting, and plotting a story that says what the writer is trying to communicate. That pilot spoke too clearly to be a luck, so I don't believe for a second that the intense romantic feel of those moments was unplanned. The chemistry between the leads may have been a surprise, though I don't think I totally buy that either. David and Gillian were cast for a reason. It could have initially been instinct and feel, but Chris Carter was smart enough to see and embrace it to tell his story. I work with writers all day long, and it always makes me so sad and annoyed to have the work they put into the craft of writing and story reduced to accident. When it's good, it appears effortless. The X-Files has had some stumbles in storytelling--that's unavoidable--but for the most part, it's very, very good.

Edited by madam magpie

That absolutely baffles me. To me, the planning is so incredibly obvious. The entire pilot is a test. It always is. The writer has to put all of the elements of story into one script in order to sell the premise, and writers go into that knowing what story they want to tell. The writing process isn't just throwing shit against a wall and hoping for the best. It's thinking and rethinking, planning, replanning, crafting, rewriting, and plotting a story that says what the writer is trying to communicate. That pilot spoke too clearly to be a luck, so I don't believe for a second that the intense romantic feel of those moments was unplanned. The chemistry between the leads may have been a surprise, though I don't think I totally buy that either. David and Gillian were cast for a reason. It could have initially been instinct and feel, but Chris Carter was smart enough to see and embrace it to tell his story. I work with writers all day long, and it always makes me so sad and annoyed to have the work they put into the craft of writing and story reduced to accident. When it's good, it appears effortless. The X-Files is very, very good.

First of all, I didn't say it was an accident.  Secondly, I write all day long - a different kind of writing, but writing still. So I understand planning and the use of words, etc. I also understand that when you are developing a pilot for a show that you have no idea how long will last, you sometimes start ideas to see if they can develop into something bigger.  Do I think it's possible that Carter intended on the show being a long meditation on the relationship between these two people and the deep and abiding love they have for each other? Sure. Do I think it's likely? No. But I don't think it is disrespectful to believe that they introduced the idea that these two could be attracted to each other in order to preserve story ideas for the future.

Given the years CC spent practically putting his hands over his ears and running screaming from the room when the idea of Mulder and Scully's relationship turning romantic/sexual came up, I think it's safe to say his intentions in that regard evolved over the seasons. 

He's always been prone to revisionist history and contradictory statements.

• Love 1

I can only go by what CC has said himself. This comes from my Official X-Files companion:

Another point of contention [with the network] involved the nature of the relationship between the leads. Carter insisted that they stay clearly platonic despite those urging him to establish more sexual chemistry. "Chris from the beginning always said, "It's not going to be Moonlighting" notes Greenblatt.

"A big part off my job during the August to May scope of that pilot creation was protecting against that" Carter contends. "I was really the lone voice saying we cannot have these people romantically involved. There cannot be real sexual tension here or else the show won't work. As soon as you have them looking googly eyed at each other, they're not going to want to go out and chase these aliens. The relationship will supplant or subvert what's going to make the show great, which is the pursuit of these cases

He's always been prone to revisionist history and contradictory statements.

Yes. Which is why I have the opinion that I do. 

Although it does not say so in my book, this stinks of network intervention to me. They gave Chris a hard time about wanting to hire GA and he says he basically put his foot down on the issue. That was in the book. He talks about how the network execs wanted him to hire someone sexier.

Edited by festivus
  • Love 1
Although it does not say so in my book, this stinks of network intervention to me.

Her being in her bra and underwear was.  I can't remember about the rest.

Edited by Bastet

First of all, I didn't say it was an accident.  Secondly, I write all day long - a different kind of writing, but writing still. So I understand planning and the use of words, etc. I also understand that when you are developing a pilot for a show that you have no idea how long will last, you sometimes start ideas to see if they can develop into something bigger.  Do I think it's possible that Carter intended on the show being a long meditation on the relationship between these two people and the deep and abiding love they have for each other? Sure. Do I think it's likely? No. But I don't think it is disrespectful to believe that they introduced the idea that these two could be attracted to each other in order to preserve story ideas for the future.

I never said anything about his planning some long, meditative anything. I don't know where you got that. What I said, and what I understood him to say, was that the essence of the relationship--that Mulder and Scully would fall in love and that would inform the story to come--was obvious and clear from the beginning. A poster above said he/she didn't believe it. If you don't disagree, why are you arguing with me about it? If that storyline wasn't planned and it wasn't an accident, what was it? Introducing an idea to preserve story for the future sounds pretty planned to me.

Of course the story evolved. I've also seen interviews with David where he said that the reason the whole Scully mytharc began at all was because Gillian got pregnant and had to go on leave. I believe that, mainly because that type of storyline doesn't really appear anywhere early on. It begins when Gillian gets pregnant and goes on leave. But even if that looks like fate, it was no accident. The writer was presented with a logistical problem and he had to figure out a way to write himself out of it. That's because TV is more of a living entity that film, novels, and plays, but it still was planned once the problem arose. And then that planning led to one of the most popular parts of the show.

People love to bash Chris Carter and call him a lousy writer...at the same time that they love his show and characters. I don't get that, but I do hope that he just says a hardy "fuck them" and goes home to count his millions. All stories begin with the writers. Actors are the faces and bodies who in some cases breathe extra life into them (I do think this was one of those situations), but the writer is the creator. I'll never understand loving a piece of writing while belittling the writer's abilities, but it happens all the time.

Edited by madam magpie

I never said anything about his planning some long, meditative anything. I don't know where you got that. What I said, and what I understood him to say, was that the essence of the relationship--that Mulder and Scully would fall in love and that would inform the story to come--was obvious and clear from the beginning. A poster above said he/she didn't believe it. If you don't disagree, why are you arguing with me about it? If that storyline wasn't planned and it wasn't an accident, what was it? Introducing an idea to preserve story for the future sounds pretty planned to me.

Of course the story evolved. I've also seen interviews with David where he said that the reason the whole Scully mytharc began at all was because Gillian got pregnant and had to go on leave. I believe that, mainly because that type of storyline doesn't really appear anywhere early on. It begins when Gillian gets pregnant and goes on leave. But even if that looks like fate, it was no accident. The writer was presented with a logistical problem and he had to figure out a way to write himself out of it. That's because TV is more of a living entity that film, novels, and plays, but it still was planned once the problem arose. And then that planning led to one of the most popular parts of the show.

People love to bash Chris Carter and call him a lousy writer...at the same time that they love his show and characters. I don't get that, but I do hope that he just says a hardy "fuck them" and goes home to count his millions. All stories begin with the writers. Actors are the faces and bodies who in some cases breathe extra life into them (I do think this was one of those situations), but the writer is the creator. I'll never understand loving a piece of writing while belittling the writer's abilities, but it happens all the time.

You're the one invested in saying that Carter had some grand plan for Mulder and Scully's romantic relationship and now you're backtracking on it. So I don't know what we're arguing about either.

Also, I am not "bashing" Chris Carter but I also don't think that acknowledging he has some flaws is "bashing" him.  He had strengths and weaknesses in his writing, as everyone does.  He created two indelible characters in Mulder and Scully and helped establish the atmosphere for a great show and the mytharc, which - while imperfect - is actually very important to the show.  He also didn't always have a handle on who these two characters were to each other.  While you're so busy defending Carter, you seem to be ignoring the contributions of the other writers, who also did an important job in developing the story and these characters.