Type keyword(s) to search

Mulder and Scully: Partners Together in Crime.

Oh, the dynamics of our dynamic duo.  The show's convoluted refusal to outright address the changes in their relationship in the later years became outright ridiculous, but for so long the subtlety was what made them epic.  They were partners, then friends, and came to share a love that needs its own name before they actually became lovers.  And so much of it was communicated simply in touches and glances.  (Thank you forever, GA and DD!)

Some of it is sad; they bonded so closely partly because the myriad things that happened to them made them somewhat unfit for the world outside of them.  Their lives aren't anything most people would point to and say, "I want that."  But they're not together by default, tied together only because of those shared experiences.  Bless IWTB for showing us they can strike a balance and forge a life together outside the darkness. 

• Love 2

I love that no matter what happens they never could be without each other. They are so connected. As GA said about her and DD, there is sexual attraction there but its more than that. There is a deeper connection. They get each other as do Mulder and Scully. Even after 20 years the chemistry is there.

I just love GA and DD together. They ooze attraction and sexual tension. They are so beautiful together.

I find it interesting that GA has a contract with NBC and now DD is doing a series with them.

• Love 1

I love that no matter what happens they never could be without each other. They are so connected. As GA said about her and DD, there is sexual attraction there but its more than that. There is a deeper connection. They get each other as do Mulder and Scully. Even after 20 years the chemistry is there.

I just love GA and DD together. They ooze attraction and sexual tension. They are so beautiful together.

I find it interesting that GA has a contract with NBC and now DD is doing a series with them.

Yep. It's classy. Reminds me of Perry and Della from Perry Mason. The actors who played them had it even after all that time, when they were in the tv movies. And M & S did in the movie, even after the actors hadn't played them in awhile too. It's cool, if you think about it. The best part is that the actors treat the characters with respect.

As far as TV couples and partners go, they are pretty much perfection to me.

The show's convoluted refusal to outright address the changes in their relationship in the later years became outright ridiculous, but for so long the subtlety was what made them epic.

Looking back, I have more of a problem with seasons 3-4, especially. After Paper Clip, I had the feeling that the writers wanted to cling to status quo at any price, whereas the intensity of what M/S were going through together made the lack of evolution in their relationship a bit jarring; even though I didn't mind waiting for the end of the show for them to be together. But I like how it turned out, the unconventional suited them. I also love that the show never forgot, imo, that they were partners before they were lovers, or that their partnership was a central part of them as a couple.

Anyway, for me, Mulder and Scully made viewing the X-files a satisfying experience, no matter where the plot went (even to hell). When I watched IWTB, I was happy and satisfied because I had my Mulder and Scully and they were still awesome; and I didn't regret for one second my unapologetic shipping.

Anyway, for me, Mulder and Scully made viewing the X-files a satisfying experience, no matter where the plot went (even to hell).

Very good point, and very true.  M/S were the ONLY thing that made the show worth watching to the end for me.

I always preferred them more as partners and friends than as a couple.  The last season or so, and especially the baby storyline, is one of many things that temporarily soured me on the show.  I've recently started rewatching the show and revisiting my love for it pre-S9, and since I know where they're eventually going I'm watching it with a different eye on their relationship.  It does kind of change the way certain scenes feel to me.

A couple of my favorite scenes for them are the time he gives her the key chain for her birthday and the "touchstone" conversation. The first time around, I liked that they had that connection, that they just "get" each other.  They'll disagree on how they see things, yet they'll always understand each other on some level, or at least they'll try to.   And I liked that it was without the will-they-or-won't-they vibe that so many shows inevitably gravitate towards.  (Yes, I was a fool who trusted Chris Carter when he said early on that Mulder and Scully would never get together.)  

And Scully's narrative after she learned she had cancer - especially the bit about having to leave him to take the rest of the journey alone - still brings tears to my eyes when I hear it. Not a lie - I could cry right now thinking about it.  The essence of their love was right there, in her concern for him at a time like that.  Their whole relationship had its own brand of specialness that was unlike anything in most shows. So not only was I surprised by the turns in the later seasons, but I was also really disappointed and felt almost betrayed by the show.  

Now I just accept that that's the direction the show decided to take, and I don't mind it anymore even if I don't prefer it.  So as I'm rewatching it, I'm keeping an open mind.  I love both characters separately, and so much of their relationship is still wonderful - even if I sometimes want to smack Mulder when he dismisses or disbelieves Scully.  I think the real reason I didn't want them to end up as lovers is that I always felt Scully deserved better.  Or more.  Or something.  Mulder's a great character, but he's not really a great catch. (JMO, of course.)  Whereas Scully is all kinds of wonderful and as a bonus, anyone who gets her gets a fantastic mother-in-law.  

Oh, one minor nitpick.  I hated that Scully said she named the baby after Mulder's father. (Her own father and brother were also named William, so I would rather she attributed the name to her own dad.  Or even that she took it from Mulder's middle name.  Heck, they were swimming in Williams.  But I never liked Mulder's father.)

• Love 1

They were bound to be together. Somehow those two will end up together. Both are single so there is no marriage from either side that would keep them from doing so.

Their connection with each other is like no other. That even when they are involved with others, they would never understand their connection.

They were bound to be together. Somehow those two will end up together. Both are single so there is no marriage from either side that would keep them from doing so.

Their connection with each other is like no other. That even when they are involved with others, they would never understand their connection.

Yep. They went through so much together, there's no way in my opinion that they would have ended up with anyone else. It's truly something special (and other than Niles and Daphne from Frasier, the only other couple they remind me of that is like them in this regard are Perry and Della from Perry Mason).

Definitely. It's something that can't be named, or understood.

Yeah I know. Even when she was pregnant it almost seemed like it was his baby.

In a couple of interviews GA mentione she and DD live together. I don't know if shewas just kidding though.

I think she meant when she is in NY or LA she lives in his house since she no longer has a house here.

Yeah I know. Even when she was pregnant it almost seemed like it was his baby.

In a couple of interviews GA mentione she and DD live together. I don't know if shewas just kidding though.

I think she meant when she is in NY or LA she lives in his house since she no longer has a house here.

Nah. I'm not one of that crowd tbh. I think she was just kidding. They seem to be good friends.

• Love 1

Ahh, Reynard Muldrake and Diana Letsky were always such a great duo. I didn't mind that their relationship evolved over the series, though I remember upon initial viewing that I thought their more overtly "romantic" moments came off as a bit clunky.  Truthfully (it IS out there...) I always sort of assumed that M&S were getting together on the side and just not making a big deal of it at work.  When they were all "O HAI WAIT UR PRETTY" all of a sudden in season ... six, was it? I was a bit skeptical of the apparent newness of it all.  I always preferred the eps where a couple of quieter, cute romantic moments were allowed to peek through (Ice, Red Museum, Post-modern Prometheus, and Christmas Carol immediately spring to mind) compared to the ones where Scully would read emails from Mulder and quietly weep for her lost love, but that's just me.

Also, the whole MiracleNotAlienBaby thing never really gelled for me, but it doesn't stop me from rewatching the later seasons.

I think the rest of the conversation was in private. hehe.

Awwww... Here is Gillian's response. They are so adorable. I don't normally ship actors in real life only their characters but these two, there is something about them.

https://twitter.com/gilliana/status/456300430725619712

Probably lol.

Aww that's fricken adorable :). I don't ship them, but the characters, heck yes. But I do agree that there is something about them. And that's pretty dang awesome.

I don't ship Gillian and David--I mean, they're real people and I don't know anything about them other than their public personas--but I love the relaxed and friendly relationship they seem to have settled into post-XF.  Doing press for I Want to Believe they seemed fond of each other in a way they didn't when they worked together full-time but in the last year in particular, with their 20th anniversary appearances and in various interviews, their dynamic has just been fun to watch.  This Twitter stuff is adorable. 

• Love 1

I think a lot of the stuff reported in the media about them not getting along when they were on the tv series have for the most part have been untrue. Gillain admits that they were times during the series that they didn't get along but that is to be expected. 

And you can't fake that closeness they have. Even during the show, at awards shows, they would kiss each other on the mouth. If they hated each other, they would not do that. 

I think the media really made David look like an ass due to the fact that the last two years of the show her was barely there. 

I remember Paget Brewster talking about a show she did years ago before Criminal Minds and she won't name names, she could not stand working with this actor. And up to this day, she just doesn't have any warm feelings for him.

What i do see from Gillian and David is their appreciation for the show, the experience grew even more as they got older. 

I was telling a friend of mine that from watching them during all these comic cons when they are unguarded, their gestures are very intimate or they just seemed so close. Like one instance, I think David had something on his face or something, Gillian just wipes it. And I think it was last year where Gillian just looked really cold and David kept looking at her. Without saying a word, he took off his jacket and gave it to her.

I do agree that it seem their closeness started when they filmed the second movie. And even more so last year. 

I'm not saying they are together it's just a nice idea. 

Everyone involved has freely admitted that while they formed a unique bond filming the show, they were not friends outside of it back then and in fact went through times where they really weren't even speaking between takes.  I think by the time they filmed IWTB, most of what was annoying about doing the series - feeling like they were trapped in an arranged marriage, working long days together for years on end, frustration with the sense they were filming the same storylines/dialogue over and over, getting restless to move on to other things, etc. - had long since passed but the good stuff was left and they enjoyed revisiting those things.  It really came through in the publicity junket for IWTB, something neither one used to suffer gladly.  Seeing them together at WonderCon (in the midst of IWTB filming) was a revelation, and in the time since they seem to have finally developed a real friendship.  (I take them at their word they are not dating.)

What I love is how amazing the dynamic between their characters always was regardless of what was going on behind the scenes; there is not one scene I can point to among the 7 years I watched and say "That has a strangely distant feel to it; it must have been filmed during one of the times they weren't getting along." 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
I'm not saying they are together it's just a nice idea.

"A nice idea." Can I assume you are intentionally quoting Gillian on the topic?  "It’s a nice idea, but it’s not going to happen."

What I love is how amazing the dynamic between their characters always was regardless of what was going on behind the scenes; there is not one scene I can point to among the 7 years I watched and say "That has a strangely distant feel to it; it must have been filmed during one of the times they weren't getting along."

Yeah, that's a really good point.  That Mulder/Scully dynamic was very consistent. 

Edited by smrou

Yeah Gillian talked about that no matter what was going on off screen if they were not on speaking terms, once they were Scully and Mulder, they just connect.

It's probably one of those after what they have been through in their private lives, this person is the one you connect with and you have the closest relationship with.

Yes I did quote Gillian there "It's a nice idea but it's not going to happen." Somehow, I don't believe her. hahaha.

I have a friend who loved the show and still does to this day. She seems to not be fond of David at the time where he wasn't on the show and told me he had a reputation of being difficult. I really didn't read much stuff in the media about them so I wasn't sure. 

I remember Gillian being interviewed after season 8 and she said after season 9, she is done with the show.

I have always wondered how they can do this for a number of years working 15-18 hours a day. It takes a toll on you. 

And by the way, when i see David and Gillian, I don't see them as Scully and Mulder because they are very different. I am not disillusioned that way. Plus Gillian cusses like a sailor. hahaha.

Everyone involved has freely admitted that while they formed a unique bond filming the show, they were not friends outside of it back then and in fact went through times where they really weren't even speaking between takes.  I think by the time they filmed IWTB, most of what was annoying about doing the series - feeling like they were trapped in an arranged marriage, working long days together for years on end, frustration with the sense they were filming the same storylines/dialogue over and over, getting restless to move on to other things, etc. - had long since passed but the good stuff was left and they enjoyed revisiting those things.  It really came through in the publicity junket for IWTB, something neither one used to suffer gladly.  Seeing them together at WonderCon (in the midst of IWTB filming) was a revelation, and in the time since they seem to have finally developed a real friendship.  (I take them at their word they are not dating.)

What I love is how amazing the dynamic between their characters always was regardless of what was going on behind the scenes; there is not one scene I can point to among the 7 years I watched and say "That has a strangely distant feel to it; it must have been filmed during one of the times they weren't getting along." 

I could. There was one scene during Dreamland where it kind of felt that way. There was NO chemistry in it at all imo. It's the scene where Scully wanted to get out of the damn car. But hey, it happens to the best of them. Other than that, I never really saw any other scene that was like it. So that's good.

As for their dynamic, it is REALLY close. Closest I've seen has been between Barbara Hale and Raymond Burr as Della Street and Perry Mason. Just something unique there.

(edited)

I agree with you about the dynamic. To be honest, I have not seen that anything like it since. I don't see it in any of the shows today. 

Definitely. Closest I've seen have been Niles and Daphne on Frasier. Followed by Angela and Hodgins and Booth and Brennan. But it's not quite the same. It's just something about them.

They (Perry and Della) do the same kind of eye gazing that M & S do too. Noticed this one example in an episode/movie, TCOT Lost Love.

Beautiful really. Just fast forward towards the end of it (around the 2:53 mark) and you can see it.

It's kind of neat :).

Edited by AntiBeeSpray

Chiller is having a marathon of Season 1 of the X-Files this upcoming Sunday (the 27th) starting at 6am (Eastern Standard Time).  :)

Thought I'd give you guys a heads up on it.

Just heard about it yesterday.

I wonder if someone there had gotten wind of G & D's Twitter exchange XD.

If so, this is a good thing.

The more exposure for the X-Files, the better.

Let your friends and family know about it! The more people watching it, the better the numbers!

It seems to be that Fox is the one standing in the way for a third movie.

Why can't Fox just sell it to another studio and let them spend since they don't to spend the money.

It needs to be done soon.,

Edited by IndependentMind

It seems to be that Fox is the one standing in the way for a third movie.

Why can't Fox just sell it to another studio and let them spend since they don't to spend the money.

It needs to be done soon.,

Yep. And frankly it's getting old.

They probably want to either remake it/reboot it.

Agreed. But it probably won't be until 2016... that was the time that was mentioned by Gillian in an interview not too long ago.

I just remembered this line from Scully.

"Well, it seems to me that the best relationships - the ones that last - are frequently the ones that are rooted in friendship. You know, one day you look at the person and you see something more than you did the night before. Like a switch has been flicked somewhere. And the person who was just a friend is... suddenly the only person you can ever imagine yourself with."

• Love 1

And the fun continues:

GmtrJEcl.png

A little reminiscent of Syzygy (but without the bitterness).  "I was just never sure your little feet could reach the pedals."

Edited by smrou

Bwah -- it's the "Gillyramp" hashtag* that makes it art.

And that line about her feet reaching the pedals is one of the few snippets of dialogue Gillian remembers from the series, so - nicely played, DD. 

*I got that right, didn't I?  The purpose of Twitter eludes me, but I think I know the lingo.

They are so adorable.

It is weird reading all those stories during the X Files series, the tension between them all.

And seems that things changed when they did rhe second moving and they have been close eversince. And even more so and very evident last year.

I wonder what changed.

But I love them especially GA. I watch "Crisis" just for her. The other two shows "The Fall" and "Hannibal" are wonderful.

Have you guys ever got on that *uckyeahdavidgillian on tumblr. Those people are so horrible and mean. My gosh! I wish I never checked it out. The things they say about Gillian, wow. And how, they seem to still be living back 20 years ago and judging GA and DD's relationship based on that. And they can't seem to accept that both GA and DD are in a good place now with their friendship. People grow. 

How can people have so much hate for someone they don't even know?

David was asked recently how his relationship is with GA now and he said very good because they are not so exhausted as they were when they were doing the series.

I am betting that most of the people on that site are David fans because all I seem to read there is that GA is crazy about DD and she is constantly reading his tweets and desperately awaiting his tweets.

So horrible. Again I wish i never gone there.

Edited by IndependentMind