Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Faith

(edited)

Barry is taken in by a Bedouin family; Jamal is distraught over Tariq's drastic military action.

Not sure what my favorite Jamal moment tonight was.  For pure classic Jamal, it would be him describing the deaths of thousands of his people has a "bump on the road."  For surprisingly fun Jamal, it was him doing charades. But I think my favorite was actually his face when Ahmed talking about how those people deserved to die.  When Jamal is looking at you all "Dude, that's harsh!  Tone it down, a bit.", you really have issues.  Either way, I still can't believe that I find this creepy, sadistic, rapey asshole tyrant, to be so watchable.

But it really is looking like Leila might actually... gasp! Turn on him?  I mean, they've fought before, but she really looks unnerved over that lady yelling at her at the hospital, and then finding out what really happened.  I wonder why Jamal didn't tell her that it was actually Tariq who did it?

In Barry-land, he's now been taken in by a family, lead by an older, but nice guy, and his hot second wife (they are a lot of attractive women in this country...)  And she and Barry are totally making eyes at each other.  Between this and the stuff with Molly/Jake Weber, I'm honestly wondering if they ever loved each other.

Speaking of Molly and the stuff I don't care about, Barry did have a trust but do to wacky hijinks, Sam inherits the entire $100 mill.  This should be fun.  He claims he'll be share, but with old Sammy, I wonder if there will be any left by the end of the season.

Rashid and Deliyah survive the attack, but have now been kicked out of town.

I'm sure there is something significant over the episode ending with Molly saying Grace, while Barry is doing the Muslim prayer, in the temple.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 2

I hope they're not going to draw out Barry getting back in the game.

Is he going to be keeping low profile all season?

That family is doomed unless one of the sons rat him out.

Big change for Ahmed who's as bloodthirsty as anyone, after wanting to get out of dodge because he didn't have it in him to kill people.

Oh and Nusrat is having good time at couples night with the father in law who raped her?

So how more episodes, til Barry and second wife go beyond eye sex?

Like the above poster, Ahmed and Nusrat had me saying WTF?

Rashid annoys me, coasting off his daddy's G.O.A.T. status.

They're not drinking the koolaid anymore.

Leila's reaction to being set straight by Jamal about the poison gas seems out of character, as does needing to be set straight in the first place.

I'm also surprised since up till now she reminded me of Livia from I, Claudius, who didn't care about the people and who was primarily motivated by power.

• Love 2
(edited)

Agree.  So nooow Lady Macbeth's all righteous?  Pfft.

At the end, Molly and the kids are praying, Barry & The Bedouins are praying, the insurgents are praying and the Al Fayeeds are in a game of charades.  Subtle!

Edited by candall
  • Love 1
(edited)

Not sure what my favorite Jamal moment tonight was.  For pure classic Jamal, it would be him describing the deaths of thousands of his people has a "bump on the road."  For surprisingly fun Jamal, it was him doing charades. But I think my favorite was actually his face when Ahmed talking about how those people deserved to die.  When Jamal is looking at you all "Dude, that's harsh!  Tone it down, a bit.", you really have issues.  Either way, I still can't believe that I find this creepy, sadistic, rapey asshole tyrant, to be so watchable.

Oohh scooch over; I'm right there with you! I make so many rationalizations for this dude - "despite his traumatic childhood, despite the fact that he's a rapist and a brute, despite the fact he could probably kill his own mother -  I think he's a pretty cool guy!"

I want Molly and the kids off my screen. Totally disposable.

Agree.  So nooow Lady Macbeth's all righteous?  Pfft.

Leila really disappointed me. Turns out she's not as gangsta as she thought. 

I hope they're not going to draw out Barry getting back in the game.

Indeed. Because "Castaway" Barry is wearing thin already. 

I'm SO GLAD Ahmed finally got his mop cut. I was tired of him walking around looking like my doughy Latino pizza delivery guy from Domino's. 

Edited by Jade Foxx
  • Love 4

Oohh scooch over; I'm right there with you! I make so many rationalizations for this dude - "despite his traumatic childhood, despite the fact that he's a rapist and a brute, despite the fact he could probably kill his own mother -  I think he's a pretty cool guy!"

I want Molly and the kids off my screen. Totally disposable.

Leila really disappointed me. Turns out she's not as gangsta as she thought. 

Indeed. Because "Castaway" Barry is wearing thin already. 

I'm SO GLAD Ahmed finally got his mop cut. I was tired of him walking around looking like my doughy Latino Domino's pizza delivery guy. 

I seem to recall that he wanted to cut the mop to become more "respectable" or something like that, but it's going to take more than a haircut.

Oh and Nusrat is having good time at couples night with the father in law who raped her?

My thought, or maybe wish, is that she has a longer-range revenge planned, and "playing nice" is a step along that process.

I guess Sammy softened his view on his father once the inheritance was revealed. I can't read the actress' face who plays the mother to know whether she was amused, angered, or sleepy over the sexist distribution, but methinks Sammy's sexual orientation might just nullify the deal.

• Love 1

With all that coughing he's doing, I'm guessing Rashid's health is on the decline due to the attack.

So how more episodes, til Barry and second wife go beyond eye sex?

My guess is two.

I'm SO GLAD Ahmed finally got his mop cut. I was tired of him walking around looking like my doughy Latino Domino's pizza delivery guy.

He looks 10x better.

I had to laugh that Sammy was at the Lamborghini dealership. Just because he inherited $110 million doesn't mean he has instant access to it. And of course he buys the douchiest car there is. 

Because "Castaway" Barry is wearing thin already.

He really is. He needs to start doing something besides getting in touch with Islam.

• Love 2

The USA scenes just distract from the story. They're mourning one minute, then celebrating an inheritance, then finding God. Even with those storylines, none of the three an emote. Jamal is still my favorite character. He has the most depth. Leila is next but surely she knew what happened had Uncle's hands all over the attack.

• Love 2

Jamal is still my favorite character.

List of my favorite characters: (in order, for this episode)

Jamal

The Bedouin Family

The Resistance/Freedom Fighter crew

The off-screen cultural attache who smacked down Leila's plans of exhibiting at the Louvre

The Chinese Ambassador who said "sorry, not sorry, but the U.N. WILL be investigating"

The chick who chucked blood all over Leila's dress

Basam

Tyriq (at least he's interesting)

Nusrat

The guy who notified The Boring Family about the Trust Fund

Emma

Sammy

The actors in the morgue after the gas attack

Ahmed

.............Molly

• Love 2
(edited)

So looks like Andy from Weeds is gone with no explanation.

I get that Jamal may be trying to court the Chinese but the Chinese guy instead of Andy Botwin on the TV?  

Edited by scrb
So looks like Andy from Weeds is gone with no explanation.

I think they dealt with him in last season's finale: He had helped Bassam with the revolution as much as he could, and in order to keep American deniability, he left the country before things started. Or something like that.

Leila's reaction to being set straight by Jamal about the poison gas seems out of character, as does needing to be set straight in the first place.

That was weird. When she said, "that was a good speech" I assumed she knew in general that the government was in on the gas attack. Then later on she was all *shocked*. Unless she misunderstood and thought Jamal directly ordered it. 

Although I really loved when she was crying and her nose all snotted up and she just wiped it off with her hand. I'm sure that couldn't have been scripted. Whomever called Ahmed being the real Tyrant had their claim strengthened in this episode too. 

Was this the first time Molly knew Sammy was gay? I loved how the 'reveal' scene was mostly him doing all the talking and Molly just sitting there. The dialogue was like 90/10. Basically they're telling us that Molly is just a bad parent. 

I'm ready for Barry to step up with the Preacher from Dune role here. 

I think Leila might have believed the government wasn't involved, because once she realized what happened, she cried that she thought Jamal's presidency would be different, i.e., he wouldn't do something that awful to his own people. It's one thing to quell a rebellion; it's another to use biological weapons to do it. I don't think Jamal approved that Tariq went that far, but he also didn't put limits on what Tariq should do.

Was this the first time Molly knew Sammy was gay?

She's known from the beginning of the show. This was the first time he'd had sex in his bedroom (or she caught him).

That was weird. When she said, "that was a good speech" I assumed she knew in general that the government was in on the gas attack. Then later on she was all *shocked*. Unless she misunderstood and thought Jamal directly ordered it. 

Although I really loved when she was crying and her nose all snotted up and she just wiped it off with her hand. I'm sure that couldn't have been scripted. Whomever called Ahmed being the real Tyrant had their claim strengthened in this episode too. 

I'm ready for Barry to step up with the Preacher from Dune role here. 

Nothing quite so pathetic as the wife of a raping murderous tyrant, lamenting the fact that the people do not love her. We are just one balcony scene away from Lelia singing 'Don't cry for me Abbudin.' Or her head doing its best Marie Antoinette impersonation post guillotine.

Whoa there! We are still in book one 'Dune'. Barry still needs to knock up his concubine and gain the undying devotion of his fellow desert warriors.

• Love 1

Oy, I'm really behind on this show.  I did feel a bit bad for Sammy when he was talking about how he didn't believe that his father liked him, but then he learned of his $100 million inheritance, and he made it clear that he didn't plan on sharing with his sister, and I thought No wonder people don't like you, asshole!  So, your dad dies, and you inherit all of this money for no other reason besides the fact that you're the first-born male, and you don't plan on splitting it evenly with your sister and mother?  Douche.  Have fun paying that back when the world learns that Barry is still alive, asshole.  As you can tell, this really annoyed me.  

Didn't Leila write all of Jamal's speeches last year? The glaring inconsistency really struck me in this episode with her being so allegedly out of the loop. She was the one serving the public of Abbudin a whopping pile of BS couched in patriotic rhetoric.