Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: Voices Carry

(edited)

Last I checked, Boris owns the hospital, not you Evan. You already know he keeps secrets from basically everybody, had a shark tank and hidden passages in his house.It's none of your business. Besides, your job is just to keep the hospital running smoothly as possible and try not to severely screw anything up. . . 

Hank's no bureaucrat so obviously he would turn down such an impressive job that he really isn't that qualified for. Yes, adding vents to an indoor event to release smoke seems like a fairly obvious solution but I'm sure the job entails way more than that. His passion is caring for patients directly and considering bureaucracy fired him because he saved a patient who would have died as opposed to the trustee who he thought was being taken care of. That was the event that precipitated his journey to the Hamptons. Loathing bureaucracy is one of the reasons he was so resistant to joining the Board of Directors at Hampton's Heritage. 

Divya, the curse of having three men want you at the same time. Actually a fourth in Jeremiah, considering he called you as opposed to his shrink during his panic attack from being swindled last week. Poor Jeremiah. 

How did Paige not fire that contractor long ago? Given the mansions in the Hamptons, one would presume that you could find a great one relatively quickly, She's a General's daughter and wife of a former councilman. These aren't people you mess around with either. Doesn't the Hamptons have its own variety of Angie's List? 

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 3

The contractor storyline is stupid- the Paige we know would have kicked his ass out a long time ago.

The Hank/Olympia storyline was so short lived. I liked her character. It's like the writers don't know what to do with Hank or his love life. Meanwhile, Divya is dating three guys. This is surely going to blow up in her dumb face.

The Boris secret is sort of interesting, as is the Jeremiah stuff. I wonder where he went.

• Love 1

I've only caught a couple of episodes, but is Paige's jewelery some kind of running joke?  It's consistently ugly, and those beads she wore tonight?  Let's just say I had the same necklace when I was five.

• Love 3

Last I checked, Boris owns the hospital, not you Evan. You already know he keeps secrets from basically everybody, had a shark tank and hidden passages in his house.It's none of your business. Besides, your job is just to keep the hospital running smoothly as possible and try not to severely screw anything up. . . 

^^ EVAN. SERIOUSLY. How dumb are you????? I just defended him in the "Evan" thread and now I feel like I must go back to retract it! Him going thru the desk in full view of everyone was off the charts unbelievable. Why would he continue digging? CLEARLY Boris has secrets. And now you're put out because Boris is making decisions without you?? You need to take a vacation.

I'm bummed Hank and Vanessa didn't work out.

Divya - I'm over it. So that's the resolution to the custody s/l? Rafa shows up, loves that she threatened to keep his child and he hands her over? Wha???  Poor Raj - I feel he's going to get the short stick. (short shrift? do i know what this saying is?)

Most importantly - JEREMIAH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The contractor storyline is stupid- the Paige we know would have kicked his ass out a long time ago. 

WORD.  Paige would have kicked his ass during the first WEEK of non-construction.  Come on, girl, we know you can do it!!

I was thinking Boris sent Jeremiah along with some security types to hunt down the jerk who swindled him...

Please come back safely Dr. Secani. 

Evan?  I know it's difficult but you have to accept that Boris will always have secrets and projects you are not involved in--even if you are the acting administrator of the hospital.  Concentrate on other things like getting your home ready for the baby. 

• Love 1

The whole Boris stuff has always bored me and gets increasingly stupid.

Divya, who really is the father of that baby? It's like a sight joke, passing off that baby as hers and Rafa's. The child's got a TWA!

The Hank-Olympia relationship seemed to come out of nowhere. They meet and then they're on a romantic getaway. Now that's some attraction. I liked how they mentioned the age difference between the two. Go on, cougar girl.

I've seen all of this series' shows but don't remember a whole lot. Who were the children that Raj had with him in the last episode? 

• Love 1

The Hank-Olympia relationship seemed to come out of nowhere. They meet and then they're on a romantic getaway. Now that's some attraction. I liked how they mentioned the age difference between the two. Go on, cougar girl.

I've seen all of this series' shows but don't remember a whole lot. Who were the children that Raj had with him in the last episode? 

They are actually not that far apart! Mark is 44 and Vanessa is 52 (DAMN GIRL). I feel like that is a legit match without having to point to the age difference. Now, if they were 28 and 20, then ok - but i find them to be contemporaries. Alas, it is moot.

Those were Raj's children he had with his (now ex-) wife.

• Love 2

I consider them contemporaries as well but she does looks older than Mark to me. I get, and even agree with, your point, though: it's a good thing to not feel compelled to explain things. My chuckles about Divya's child notwithstanding, in life, I don't pass on much demographic information to people about other people, much to the surprise of a few when they meet the person I was talking about.

Thanks. Didn't remember if Raj had married, let alone had fathered a couple of kids and had divorced. Time flies.

• Love 1

I am worried about Jeremiah-- I hope he's on a secret mission to find Jimbo and get the money back.

Rafa's 180 turn on the custody battle makes no sense, except in the context of this show, which means it makes perfect sense. (Insert eye roll here.) Suddenly Divya's voicemail was passionate, not creepy and threatening? Mmm hmm. I'm not really interested in Divya being pursued by three guys. I mean, I don't have a problem with her dating them and figuring out if she possibly wants to marry one of them, but I don't really want to see it was a storyline. Also, I'm maybe going to be pissed if she throws over Raj again (though I have a sneaking suspicion they will end up together).

The Olympia/Hank thing was weird. He seemed like he might be interested in pursuing a relationship, but she didn't. Which is too bad because I liked the idea of them of as a couple, and honestly, she felt more appropriate than many of his other love interests. (Not necessarily the age thing but just in terms of temperament, place/stage in life.) But two episodes and then she's gone! What was the point?

Paige has suddenly become a pushover, ugh. Get it together, Paige! And Evan was being stupid this episode-- mainly because he hasn't learned anything about Boris and his secrets. UGH. I feel like Evan backslide a lot this week.

• Love 2

Hank's issue is that, unlike his brother, he isn't particularly ambitious at this stage of his career. Obviously, he worked very hard to get to where he is from medical school to being a prominent ER doctor and his establishment of a top-tier concierge practice. Right now, he's very comfortable just doing what he does now and does best, saving and treating patients. Evan described Olympia as a kingmaker, but Hank is content to stay where he is. As successful as he's been, I don't think he sees his role as a concierge doctor as a stepping stone to something greater, whereas Evan is always looking for something bigger. That's why it didn't work out between Hank and Olympia. She expected someone with that level of accomplishment and talent to aspire to be more than just a concierge doctor.

Besides, your job is just to keep the hospital running smoothly as possible and try not to severely screw anything up.

That was Evan's point. Boris is basically running the hospital and not keeping Evan in the loop on administrative goings on. Evan was saying "I like my plate full." He's not saying he wants to do everything, but he does want to take care of administrative things. Boris was coming off as micromanaging things that Evan should be handling, even though we, as viewers, knew something else was going on. Which Evan discovered.  

This is the continual problem with Evan though. One week, he's competent. The next, he's snooping through Boris' stuff, when we all know that he knows better. It's kind of unfair to the actor imo. 

Divya - I'm over it. So that's the resolution to the custody s/l? Rafa shows up, loves that she threatened to keep his child and he hands her over?

This was so weird. You threaten, literally, kidnapping, of the biological father's child, so then he shows up and signs over custody completely to you? Not like, "I would like my child to come visit my family and I for a month, 6 weeks each year." Like, you know, something reasonable. 

Now she's got 3 guys after her? Please. No one is worth that kind of trouble. It's actually a little unfair to Raj. Granted, they're figuring things out, and that's fine. They don't need official labels or anything, but Divya, that date with the Prince was a *date* and you know it. You have 100% freedom to date people all you want, but I think it's only fair to Raj to keep him in the loop. You don't owe it to him to not date anyone else, but you need to be clear what's going on.

Why do Hank and Divya *have* to have romantic interests anyway? Both of these characters like to *work*. Can't that be enough? Maybe they date people once in a while, nbd. Some people just don't need to be in relationships or want to. 

Hank's issue is that, unlike his brother, he isn't particularly ambitious at this stage of his career.

Even if he doesn't want to be deputy whatever, to not want to take on a new challenge for a person in their early 40s strikes me as highly unambitious. He could have suggested other ways he might be involved in the WHO, possibly having HankMed as special consultants. Or just said, 'hey, you should talk to Evan about how we could be part of the WHO.' How hard is that? If this was the week that Evan was competent, he would have thought of something. To have the opportunity literally right in your hand, and not do anything at all is ridiculous. 

One thing that's always bothered me is Hank never seems to appreciate how Evan worked to make HankMed what it is. All the growth of the business has been Evan or Evan/Jeremiah. Hank's never been interested in promoting it and that's fine if all you want to do is be the doctor, but you're doing yourself a disservice if you truly want to help people. With minimal effort, they could expand HankMed to cover most of Long Island and NYC if they wanted. What about the free clinic? They could have had like 10 of them by now. 

• Love 1

Divya, who really is the father of that baby? It's like a sight joke, passing off that baby as hers and Rafa's. The child's got a TWA!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it, lol.

I actually feel kind of bad for/I'm not that mad at Divya. She's really only voluntarily dated one man and then boom, pregnant. Relationship-wise, she's kind of like a teenager so it could be interesting to see her dealing with a multiple suitor situation that plays to different feelings and aspects of her personality (Raj represents something comfortable and familiar, Rafa is the father of her child with whom she once had crazy chemistry, the prince is someone new and exciting who also has a cultural understanding of arranged marriages) but I don't trust the writers to not just turn this into a Divya-misleads-everyone-and-it-blows-up-in-her-face thing.

Divya's predicament is just so outrageous: threatening to kidnap her ex's child caused him to fall in love with her again, the prince whose father arranged a marriage thinks his family will accept a divorced single mother as new queen, her undermining and condescending to Jeremiah left him smitten. . . Ugh!

When Evan got caught in Boris' secret lair, I really wanted him to turn around and say, "I found the missing hospital equipment, Boris." Come on, Evan, show us some of the bravado that had Hank and you crashing his party in the first place.

And Hank is a genius at the UN because he suggested ventilation for indoor fires?!? Really, show?!?! Really?!?!?

• Love 1
She's really only voluntarily dated one man and then boom, pregnant.

It's such a trope. I mean, come on. Though it's a legit point, that she's kind of a teen in terms of dating. Which brings the point up that I always say, why does her dating have to be such a thing? She's been driven by work since the pilot. Now, it's just a farce. I'm holding off on dropping the Pharcyde joke on that. 

I don't care if Divya dates three different guys. That's great for her! I just don't really want it to be treated as a plot point/romantic comedy of errors that she's got three suitors and is trying to keep them from knowing about each other and she can't decide who she likes more. Be an adult and be honest, ffs! You like them all, then tell them all and let the chips fall where they may.

I've seen worse endgame pairings **cough**Warehouse13**cough** but wouldn't it be lovely if Divya finally notices what a true gem Jeremiah is, and that he has always loved her? Obviously he still considers her the person closest to his heart even if living with Sashi is his Hell on Earth. I've been watching the whole series again and as of season 5 he's still quietly stuck on her.

Women characters who get all flustered and passive when forcefully courted by men being -- "aggressive" is the wrong word but "assertive" is wrong too -- annoy me. It's as if they have no choice of their own and have to accept whichever guy puts in the most effort, compatibility be damned. And Divya is super-annoying because she's stringing them all along for various reasons. Could be the writers are tapping into a common female fantasy I don't share, because the thought of doing what she's doing isn't exhilarating to me but makes me really queasy.

Since Royal Pains is winding down, I'd really like to see other characters besides Schmoopy1 & Schmoopy2 (Evan & Paige, of course) establish and have some good relationship screen time before it's over. We're on short seasons now and there isn't a whole lot of time to see something new develop.

I don't think Divya really needs to come clean to the other two guys, but I think her treatment of Raj is deplorable. They've been carrying on a relationship for a while. Divya can date whomever she wants, but she should be up front with him. 

The whole hiding from the men thing was just stupid.