Type keyword(s) to search

Month of Zen: Saying Good-bye

(edited)

Here it is:

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/1gonk2/prince-charles-scandal

It's November 10, 2003 if you want to watch the whole episode.

You're a peach, Jaded! And I've seen this before! I think when Colbert was leaving, some article posted it, about how Stephen broke character. But it's still hilarious.

Yay! the Buscemi and Trejo Brady Bunch Snickers commercial!!!

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

Okay, they really ARE skipping episodes rather than straight through. I noticed one being skipped yesterday, and today they skipped right from Feb 9 2004 to Feb 11.  I wonder if it's because Comedy Central doesn't want to admit Dave Chappelle exists (he was the guest on Feb 10).

Man if it wasn't for the fact my boss actually bothered to come in today. and a client is also coming, I'd be watching today, because I know we're getting close to Election night 2004. Or did I miss it?

No, we're still in June.

• Love 1
(edited)

My favorite Sam Bee interview is on right now--Ed Henney, the Ft. Lauderdale "homo-nausic". So good.

ETA: Damn, that couch was around a lot longer than I remembered!

Edited by ABay
  • Love 1
(edited)

Wow, remembering how bad Kerry campaigned, no wonder Bush won again in 2004.

And NJ's governor had to resign because he was gay.  So glad things have changed.

Yay, another Colbert Report commercial!  Makes you wonder when they realized it could be a real thing.

Edited by Hanahope
  • Love 1

The live hour of Indecision 2004 is on right now and it's...weird. Knowing how it turned out is heartbreaking but now that it's the past is comforting. Sharpton is brilliant--if Bush wins tonight it will be the first time he was elected. To be fair, the former MA gov (Wells? Not Romney) is hilarious.

Obama won the IL senate seat with 88% of the vote.

So I guess they aren't airing all the episodes? Because it was September 2004 on Friday, and now we're in 2006? Well, that was the date at the end credits. But, the episode that just started is April 2005. 

In the words of Vinnie Barbarino: "I'm soooo confused!"

So I guess they aren't airing all the episodes? Because it was September 2004 on Friday, and now we're in 2006? Well, that was the date at the end credits. But, the episode that just started is April 2005. 

In the words of Vinnie Barbarino: "I'm soooo confused!"

i saw them skip single episodes a few times, but I don't understand why they'd jump forward two years then back one of those.

(edited)

Oh lord. Tom Cruise jumping on Oprah's couch.

I love Stephen Colbert.  That is all.

ETA:

Up to August 2005, and I can't wait to see Jon's rant over Katrina. I missed it first go around, but did see his wonderful rant when he hosted the Emmys shortly after.

And I really hate that ugly gray desk.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

I'm watching the Hurricane Katrina shows right now. Could GW Bush be any more of a screw-up? I remember his father being criticized for the slow response to Hurricane Andrew but Dubya sank to incredible new lows.

Brian Williams was the guest on the show just now. What a difference 10 years makes. I was listening to him describing what was going on in New Orleans, and wondering just how much of what he said was true. The big issues, obviously, but all his stories of leaving the hotel under police guard, etc.

• Love 4

I know! My jaw dropped at every fucking politican's, the now ex-FEMA director, Homeland Director's "we Juuuuust found out this day, the FACTUAL information!" to "it's the local authorities' responsibility to make sure everyone was evacuated, "  etc.

I'm applauding Jon's smack down. So, so much.

And now, "Evolution-Schemevolution." Mind boggling.

I can only watch in small doses because of the SCREAMING ADS. SERIOUSLY, THEY ARE SO FUCKING LOUD. Jeez.

I know, right? Every time they come on, I have to reach over and lower the volume and when the show comes back, reach over AGAIN, and increase the volume! It sucks because today was a full house at work!

(edited)

I am crushed to discover that I could have been watching this all along because I assumed that Comedy Central stuff would not be available in Canada as per usual. I just had 4 days off work with nothing to do and now these gems are passing me by while I have to be in the office, dammit. Even though I am happy Jon is moving on to better things, I still have all the nostalgia feels. It's also a pretty impressive overview of social/political/technological change over the years.

Edited by Delwyn

You're a peach, Jaded!

Not a problem :-)

I would've done it sooner with the Colbert Report commercial too if I hadn't originally forgotten the air date.

Jon just asked Senator Barack Obama (circa 2005 with a full head of black hair) what he would do if he were in charge of Iraq, I couldn't help but smile.

And next episode's guest? John McCain!

(edited)

I remember thinking that they should have ended Week in God after Stephen left, but the current Corddry one with the Gay Machine is awesome! It's so fun seeing great bits like this that I've forgotten or missed.

Edited by wknt3
  • Love 2
(edited)

I'm watching an episode where they are talking about the Bush administration eavesdropping on phone calls. It's almost heartbreaking to see how we keep seeing the same bullshit over and over again.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 2

I'm just enjoying these episodes that I missed in early 2006, since I had lost my job and was interviewing in New York, but still living in MD; and the commuting, staying with relatives in New Jersey took the worst toll. How this show could have been a great relaxer!

And then I was in New York for two years, and never managed to go to a show! I'm feeling very, very bitter about that now.

We're past the point in the show where the audience started whooping and cheering at almost everything Jon on one of the correspondents say. It's always annoyed me on TDS; it seems more suited to Colbert, whose character encouraged that sort of thing.

Just got finished watching Roger Ebert, who appeared in the last episode before Jon hosted the Oscars.

So sad and bittersweet to see him.

Watching the show after the Oscars.

Dammit. I'm going to miss Jon so, so much.

Wow, the jokey vibe of the "what are we doing to pigs?" segment seems so far removed from Gestational Crates horrors. Which I guess is a pretty accurate gauge on how the tone of the show has changed over the last few years.

Now if only they would stop with the stupid and annoying Mountain Dew Kickstart commercials!

Well, it's not like (many of us) probably didn't want to punch Adam Devine even before this...

• Love 1

I just got me a nice birthday present when they showed the July 17, 2006 episode, or, as I like to call it, My First Live Taping Appearance. :D That was when Bush could look into Putin's eyes and declare he was a good guy, and when they showed the very first 10 F#@king Years segment.

Up to July 13, and I know I'm going to miss Asif's first day! Dammit. Because I'll be asleep.

Stick around shortly and you'll catch Ollie's TDS debut.

I just got me a nice birthday present when they showed the July 17, 2006 episode, or, as I like to call it, My First Live Taping Appearance. :D That was when Bush could look into Putin's eyes and declare he was a good guy, and when they showed the very first 10 F#@king Years segment.

Stick around shortly and you'll catch Ollie's TDS debut.

Ooh! Thanks for the reminder! I've been waiting to see when he debuted!

• Love 1

How many times did Senator John Edwards appear on this show before his life imploded?

It's so sad to see how many people loved him, and were optimistic about the changes he wanted to make and he was so...earnest and believable and it turned out he was a lyin', cheatin' bastard. Sigh.

I know, I sound like a hypocrite, because I did love Bill Clinton and didn't think his affair with Lewinsky should have overshadowed all the good he had done/was doing.

So I'm a hypocrite. Sue me.

• Love 1

As much as I appreciate George Clooney flirting with Jon, and I really really do, there's still a part of my brain saying "Don't you dare, Clooney! He's Stephen's Jon!"

• Love 1

They did a Dec 2006 story mocking Obama's "rock star" charisma. And this was when he was still just the junior senator from Illinois. I thought it was hilarious, and right on the money. The Bush administration was certainly a target rich environment, but Jon Stewart was clearly willing and able to puncture anyone's balloon. I love that about him.

• Love 1
(edited)

Clearly, I missed Rob Corddry's last appearance. I miss him.  Other than the addition of John Oliver and Aasiv Mandvi, I don't like these new guys, who didn't last very long. Rob Riggle, Dan something or other, and someone else.

Still enjoying the bits between Jon and Stephen right before the moments of zen.

ETA:

May 8, 2007--

Oh my gracious! That bit with Jon and John Oliver regarding Queen Elizabeth's visit, and Jon airing CNN's Quest bit to get John to read from the "script" was HILARIOUS.

Jon: "Quest me."

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

Over the last day and a half I saw 2 episodes with Christopher Hitchens as guest. His physical deterioration between the 2 was frightening and the second one was 4 years before his death. I thought he was going to collapse after 3 inch step up to the chair.

Oct. 1, 2007: Naw... Arrived just in time to watch the future hosts of "Last Week Tonight" and "The Nightly Show" do a piece together on the Republicans trying to pander to the African Americans during the 2007-08 presidential campaign. What an unlikely, adorable pair made for greater things. 

Oct. 1, 2007: Naw... Arrived just in time to watch the future hosts of "Last Week Tonight" and "The Nightly Show" do a piece together on the Republicans trying to pander to the African Americans during the 2007-08 presidential campaign. What an unlikely, adorable pair made for greater things. 

I always wished that Ollie and Larry had done more pieces together. They were a stellar team!

• Love 1
(edited)

Now it's October 16, 2007: the day Stephen gave his prelude to running for President of the United States of South Carolina on TDS. Man, I miss their joint appearances on each other's shows.

And now we're entering into the period of "A Daily Show"...

Alright, even though I wasn't a full-fledged TDS viewer until 2012, 2008 was perhaps the finest year for TDS and my personal favorite, not just because of Jon, Indecision 2008, or Obama when he became Presidential Elect, but for all the butt-jokes the news networks' brought for branding their intrepid correspondents, coverage, and high-tech hijinks that spawned more attention to "The Best F@%#Kin' News Team Ever". It was also the year I was first exposed to Jon, Stephen, AND Conan (when NBC loved him) when they pulled off that Late Night Show Battle Royale over Huckabee during the Writer's Strike.

Edited by The Luvly Junkie