Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: A Real Emergency

I'm about over these "ghost story" episodes. We've had, what? Like three of them over the course of this series? Blah

I like that Abe and Reebecca seem to have found a more "normal" church and are living their life. Good for them. I also appreciated Reebecca making homemade costumes. No one will ever convince me that oldest kid isn't Abe's. She looks just like him!

• Love 1

I didn't know she made homemade costumes...I thought I saw a tag on the princess costume.

Mary is probably in her 60s I would guess.

Jeremiah sure  seems easily spooked. 

They sure are learning the art of the "cliffhanger".  Last week, "does Mary live or die, and what's wrong with her, anyway?"  and now this week...."Will Mary let the English who come a-knockin' stay?"

I didn't know she made homemade costumes...I thought I saw a tag on the princess costume.

Rebecca said she was making the costumes, and kind of fiddled around with thread while holding them, but they sure did look well-made and from a variety of materials...

Mary's reasons for not liking the costume were rock solid. Who can argue with "sunflowers are supposed to grow outside, not be worn!'?

Where does Katie Ann keep this car of hers? No one knows about it except Jeremiah? Seems odd.

Not really. Many Amish kids buy cars during rumspringa and hide them from their parents (same with cell phones and "English" clothes). So I wouldn't be surprised to find that Jeremiah's the only one who knows Katie Ann both has a car and knows where she stores it. I'd bet Rebecca and Abe know as well, but that doesn't fit the narrative for the show.

• Love 1

Rebecca said she was making the costumes, and kind of fiddled around with thread while holding them, but they sure did look well-made and from a variety of materials...

ehh, I've been making my kids costumes since they were born.  The costumes for the young ones are super easy regardless of variety of fabrics, wings, bonnets, hats, whatever.  It's when they get older and want things like Cleopatra's mummy with a white chiffon strip dress or Attack on Titans Police Corp uniform with leather straps and gear that you really have to have some skill.

• Love 1

So I'm assuming that this whole B&B thing has come into the picture just so Mary can be in the show?? Since Chester has put his foot down and forbidden cameras and the kids from being at his house, they had to come up with a "storyline" that would allow her and Katie Ann to stay onscreen.

And I'm so embarrassed to admit it out loud because I don't generally like them, but the scenes at Abe and Rebecca's house with the kids getting ready for Halloween was really cute.

• Love 1
(edited)

I am not liking this season so far.  Its boring.  ANOTHER haunted house/spooky/witchcraft scenario?  NoOOoo  (this is my best ghost *no*).  And I cry BS on the fixing up of the B & B.  Painting over mold, painting over half scraped off wallpaper?  The floors looked terrible and unfinished ....  It just looks like the B & B was sort of thrown together for TV purposes and a story line.  Coming from Amish country myself I cannot believe Amish people would do such shoddy work or stand for it.  I've bought many Amish things - quilts, furniture, etc. and in my neck of the woods Amish = quality so I'm giving the side-eye regarding the B&B and am chalking the B&B up to be just a big 'ol TV prop of sorts?  For a story line or ???

Edited by beesknees
  • Love 1

I am not liking this season so far. Its boring. ANOTHER haunted house/spooky/witchcraft scenario? NoOOoo (this is my best ghost *no*). And I cry BS on the fixing up of the B & B. Painting over mold, painting over half scraped off wallpaper? The floors looked terrible and unfinished .... It just looks like the B & B was sort of thrown together for TV purposes and a story line. Coming from Amish country myself I cannot believe Amish people would do such shoddy work or stand for it. I've bought many Amish things - quilts, furniture, etc. and in my neck of the woods Amish = quality so I'm giving the side-eye regarding the B&B and am chalking the B&B up to be just a big 'ol TV prop of sorts? For a story line or ???

I live about 3 hours from Amish country, and every year or so, my parents will drive up, just to order and buy new furniture, because for the past 10 years they have been slowly replacing most of the furniture in the house with Amish made furniture. And to be honest, I can't tell which things were made last year and which ones were made 10 years ago. It really is beautiful and lasts for ages. Anyway, I have to believe that this was just another dumb scripted TLC storyline to give Mary more screentime.

• Love 2

Mary is probably in her 60s I would guess.

Are you sitting down?  Mary is only 55.  Brace yourself, Chester is only 52.  I think their lifestyle ages them quite a bit.  I'm 56 and I look at least 10-15 years younger than Mary.  A makeover and weight loss would help her significantly.

• Love 1
(edited)

Are you sitting down? Mary is only 55. Brace yourself, Chester is only 52. I think their lifestyle ages them quite a bit. I'm 56 and I look at least 10-15 years younger than Mary. A makeover and weight loss would help her significantly.

Yeah, I'm terrible with ages, which left me assuming she's really closer to my age rather than my gut instinct (also thought 60s). She's close. Young side of close.

It makes sense, actually, if the older "kids" are somewhere between mid-20s and early 30s (Andrew?). Assuming she and Chester didn't dawdle with either marriage or first baby.

ETA: I missed the Chester sentence on first read. Wowza.

Edited by RealityCowgirl

Just for fun, here's some celebrity ages:

Sandra Bullock will be 51 in about a month

John Stamos is nearly 53

Rob Lowe is 51

Brad Pitt also 51

George Clooney 54

Antonio Banderas 55 this summer

Works for me. I'll take em a llllllll!

I am not liking this season so far.  Its boring.  ANOTHER haunted house/spooky/witchcraft scenario?  NoOOoo  (this is my best ghost *no*).  And I cry BS on the fixing up of the B & B.  Painting over mold, painting over half scraped off wallpaper?  The floors looked terrible and unfinished ....  It just looks like the B & B was sort of thrown together for TV purposes and a story line.  Coming from Amish country myself I cannot believe Amish people would do such shoddy work or stand for it.  I've bought many Amish things - quilts, furniture, etc. and in my neck of the woods Amish = quality so I'm giving the side-eye regarding the B&B and am chalking the B&B up to be just a big 'ol TV prop of sorts?  For a story line or ???

I was curious as to whether the B&B was still in operation, so I went a-googling, and though I'm not surprised there is no website for info and reservations and whatnot, I also could not find any evidence at all that it was a legit business (media references, yelp reviews, etc).  There were a couple of message boards where people were asking whether it was real or not, and one of them unleashed some virus-y type thing that took control of my browser and wouldn't stop until I shut the whole machine down (3 popup windows, none of which could be closed, one of them with an urgent-sounding repeating audio message telling me that I had a virus and I should call such-and-such a number without delay, yeah right).  I'm a Mac user, and we're pretty virus-resistant, but it scared the crap out of me anyway and I haven't tried to look for any more info on Mama Mary's since!

• Love 1