Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Future In-Laws?

• Start Topic

Brandon's mother's HAIR!!!! What the HELL was that????? Whatever it was, it has NEVER been in style. 

She reminded me of Lily Tomlin's switchboard operator on Laugh In. You know, "One ringy dingy...two ringy dingy..." 

Slap a wig on Brandon (dead ringer for his mom) and you have...Lily Tomlin! LOL

• Love 5
(edited)

OMG, the hair.  Did she say more than two words either?  Gil and Kelly are like Laurel & Hardy compared to Brandon's parents.

Poor Michaela, she is so anxious to get married I imagine she's already waiting for Brandon at the altar.

That was a nice conversation between Chad and Zach on the porch.  Erin, if you ever get tired of Chad, feel free to send him over to my house. 

Edited by IndianPaintbrush
  • Love 6
(edited)

The hair was horrific! When they showed them out the next day and the hair was still the same all I could think was, "She actually aims for that hairstyle on a daily basis!" 

I'm sure some of it was played up for the cameras and obviously they chose to focus on it for the storyline tonight, but if Kelly was my mother I would have been freaking out at her and all her talk about PROPOSE ASAP. 

While watching last night my fiance asked me why I continue to watch when I disagree with everything they stand for and believe in. I couldn't give a good answer. Even though I know they're cut from the same Gothard cloth as the Duggars they are just inherently more likable to me. I'm chalking it up to the psychology major in me always trying to figure out why people are making they choices that they are. 

Edited by SugarHigh
  • Love 7

The hair was a disaster!!  I had to rewind a couple of times just to verify what my eyes were seeing.  On another note, I was pretty uncomfortable with all of the proposal pressure last night.  It was just too much.

• Love 3

The hair was a disaster!!  I had to rewind a couple of times just to verify what my eyes were seeing.  On another note, I was pretty uncomfortable with all of the proposal pressure last night.  It was just too much.

I actually thought she was wearing a wig. I'm not sure real hair can look that bad! Lol! If I'd been Michaela (or whatever her name is), I would have told Kelly to STHU with the engagement/wedding talk. It got to the point that it was utterly ridiculous.

OMG, the hair.  Did she say more than two words either?  Gil and Kelly are like Laurel & Hardy compared to Brandon's parents.

Poor Michaela, she is so anxious to get married I imagine she's already waiting for Brandon at the altar.

That was a nice conversation between Chad and Zach on the porch.  Erin, if you ever get tired of Chad, feel free to send him over to my house.

Erin sure hit the jackpot when she hooked Chad, didn't she? I think he's probably as close to a perfect husband as you can get.
  • Love 3

Yeah, the hair, yikes!

Also, they are in Chicago and instead of going to the Art Institute or the top of the Hancock Tower or any other of the amazing places they could go, they paint pottery. Really? I'm sure it was set up by the producers but, really?

For me a big reason that I like the Bates much better than the Duggars is that each week we see Kelly & Gil parenting their own children. When they were getting ready to leave for Chicago and Gil told Jeb to mind Erin & Chad while they were gone, Jeb shot back a sharp, "No". Gil said they were going to have to go have a little talk and we saw him walk off hand-in-hand with Jeb; not Kelly, not one of the other children, but Gil.

Also, when Gil was talking about Michaela moving to Chicago he started to tear up a bit. He's done that when talking about Alyssa in Florida too. I feel like Kelly & Gil have had 19 children because they love children and love parenting them. Not because they are just going for as many as possible to have some kind of weird bragging rights.

• Love 9

OMG, Kelley....STOP IT. If I were her daughter, I'd be literally crawling under the table in embarrassment with her mother's constant harping on "so when's the wedding? When are you going to propose? You've been dating a WHOLE YEAR AND A HALF!"  SHUT UP!!  She was approaching MEE-chelle Duggar levels of screeching that only dogs can hear. Not to mention being annoying as hell. 

If Brandon were like 99% of young men out there (the ones that are not trained in the Fundie marriage and procreation rules), he's be leaving skid marks, running out the door.

• Love 2

OMG, Kelley....STOP IT. If I were her daughter, I'd be literally crawling under the table in embarrassment with her mother's constant harping on "so when's the wedding? When are you going to propose

I wanted to crawl under the table and I'm not her daughter. That was so embarrassing! I couldn't believe how she kept going on and on. Poor Michaella and poor Brandon. If anything that might make him rethink getting proposing.

• Love 1

Just watched.  Oh Kelly, stop it.  Brandon for all his planning doesn't seem to me all that into it.  Just like - girlfriend, check.  Propose, check.  Michaela looked like she could barely contain herself from jumping him across the table.  I hope she doesn't scare him off the first time.  And Brandon's mother's hair!  I've been reading about it, but wow, seeing it.  Is it a wig?  She is a pretty woman.  Better hair would enhance her looks.  I wonder if they watch their own shows?

• Love 2

Just watched this episode and I think a Brandon & Michaela episode from last season where he came to stay for 2 weeks. I haven't had UPTv before and by your descriptions and what I had read previously about the courtship/poetry etc., I assumed he was the quiet/reserved but romantic type. He may still be very romantic, but I really don't think he's as happy now as when he started the courtship; while he will marry her and go along, it seems like he is over her clinginess and her annoying family. When he stayed for 2 weeks, you could practically see him "keeping sweet." When whichever of Tori/Carlin was harassing him to go down the slide at the bouncy place and basically forced him to do so, he did say -- with the requisite smile on his face -- "control you sister." Michaela's response of course -- she's out of control -- and then weirdly speaking to her sister about touching HER boyfriend. Um -- how about you tell your sisters, hey chill and leave him alone; don't harass him -- he and I are going to hang here, why don't you guys go walk around.

Same when he was out with the older girls looking at the ring and they didn't let him get a word in and kept talking about what THEY wanted, not their sister. Same when he was out with Lawson, Nathan, and Trace; I mean you could see him "keeping sweet" when Lawson started on -- the south is the place to be.

There's no way they'll live in Tenn. They'll be headed off to Chicago or Michigan or anywhere else he can get a job the second they're married, as they should. Michaela will go anywhere for him, so he should pick where he'll be happy. He's not Chad -- he won't be happy to stop by the house and do an errand for his inlaws or have kids jumping on him every weekend.

As for the Chicago trip, it was beyond embarrassing. Kelly is so wanting to seal the deal, that she doesn't seem to realize that maybe she and her daughter are more into this relationship than Brandon and his family. I think Brandon probably loves her and/or has decided they can together live the Godly life with 8 kids that he wants and that she'll be subservient enough (as opposed to say Alyssa or Carlin or Tori) that he will be able to run his home/raise his family the way he wants to without her balking. But I don't see him that much past "liking" her -- I mean maybe he loves the idea of courting, marriage, sex soon, and a child soon, and Michaela allows all that.

• Love 5

Fundie or not, guys are guys and they like the thrill of the chase. I think Michael was just too available and it took some of the excitement out of the courtship. Brandon seems fond of her, but I don't sense a deep attraction on his end.

• Love 2

Michaela is way way too available. Even if you saw him at a conference 6 yrs ago and have been praying for him since that day, why does he necessarily need to know that? Shouldn't he feel that you had/have other options too --even if you don't? Besides that -- I don't know, but they come across as "friends." Not saying that's bad -- I mean the way some fundies court, you don't even get to know the other person as a friend, you're just expected to put a ring on it and hop into bed. But I feel no heat or even any romantic interest at all between them. I realize fundy-ness squashes such interests, but with Chad and Erin and Zach and Whitney, you should still feel that they wanted each other ASAP. With Brandon and Michaela -- I think Michaela wants him, and he is just looking forward to playing house -- being able to say he's a husband, become a father, have a home and a family -- I'm not sure that he particularly cares if those things happen with Michaela or with some other girl, as long as they happen. IDK -- I may be wrong, but of all the courting couples we've seen with all the fundie families, Brandon comes across the least interested.

• Love 4