Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Episode One

I kind of wonder if the teenager was not kidnapped, but is actually some kind of runaway experiment that stowed away, and is the one who wiped everyone's memories, including her own, so she could escape with them? 

I stumbled upon this after half heartedly watching Defiance, and color me intrigued! It does have it's problems, but like others have said, a spaceship show is right up my alley (even if nothing could ever live up to the brilliance of Firefly). I want to know what's behind the door, what's up with the box, and Five's background. And I figured the dream she had belonged to Four.

• Love 3

I'm calling it now: One/Nice Guy/Pretty Boy/Jace is going to be the psycho one. I get really shady vibes off of him and he looks a lot smarter than the rest of the crew. (I am probably wrong but it would be fun if I wasn't)

I wish I could believe M&M would do something that subversive, but I'm sure the charges against him are all some sort of misunderstanding and he's going to be the gee whiz Jiminy Cricket throughout the series. I do think that actual psychopathy would be evident even in someone with total amnesia, so that seems unlikely (though a possibility for Three).

Speaking of, I wish that actor would try to inject at least a second dimension into his character. I'm bothered every time I see him in my peripheral vision because he looks just enough like Kavan Smith from some angles to fool my subconscious for a half second or so, and it's always a letdown when I realize that's not him.

The whole thing felt like a bottle episode, which is not good when all the characters are basically ciphers.

• Love 1

I am calling this now. None of them are murderers. They're all woobies and it's a set-up.

Yeah, obvious plot twist was so obvious that there has to be more to it. I think the android is screwing with them.

I'm willing to give this show a chance, but it's got to get better if I'm to tolerate Zoie Palmer. I thought she sucked on Lost Girl and think that she sucks here. I had a small hope that emotionless robot would work for her, but she's still uncharismatic, low-energy, and waek-voiced. Ugh. She really makes me appreciate Summer Glau as Cameron on T:SCC. If we really needed a ship repairing robot, couldn't we just have an 18th century, French clockwork man instead?

• Love 1

Yeah, obvious plot twist was so obvious that there has to be more to it. I think the android is screwing with them.

So say we all about a "twist" from the first moment the characters emerged I was thinking prison barge. At best we may have a Blake's 7 situation where yes they were bad but the governmental or I guess corporate overlords on this show will prove to be worse.

I also groaned at the swords, however far we are removed from earth's prejudices we have what looks like an Asian pick up the swords but not like D'artagnan would handle them. I am sure it got him roles before but it seemed like so much pandering here

• Love 2

So say we all about a "twist" from the first moment the characters emerged I was thinking prison barge. At best we may have a Blake's 7 situation where yes they were bad but the governmental or I guess corporate overlords on this show will prove to be worse.

Yeah, I'm expecting them to turn out to be revolutionaries or freedom fighters of some sort. Maybe the swords are that guy's retirement savings. He buys valuable swords with his ill gotten money, with the intention of selling them off when he is ready to retire. Given his criminal status he probably can't use or doesn't trust banks.

I'll hang on for a while, at least until David Hewlett shows up, but I find Mallozzi saying words is always a bad thing.  Of all the showrunners I would love to hear talk about the thought processes behind their work, the one I have absolute zero interest in hearing is the one that seems to be most in love with the sound of his own voice.  

• Love 5

I correctly guessed that the crew were the Razza, so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if it turned out they actually weren't murderers/pirates/etc and it was all some sort of set up.

Not a huge fan of Zoie Palmer but I like her more as an android than I ever liked her character on Lost Girl.

Overall, it has potential, though it's not perfect. Right now the characters aren't fleshed out very well and I'm already tired of people saying "I just know!" in response to being able to do something. I am intrigued at why the Five is not on the crew manifest and what's behind the mystery door, though.

Not a huge fan of Zoie Palmer but I like her more as an android than I ever liked her character on Lost Girl.

Me too but I think it may be because I always thought she was rather wooden in her performance and that suits this character.

• Love 2

I finally got around to watching, and I mostly amused myself by spotting the various Firefly parallels -- Not!Simon, Not!Zoe, Not!Jayne, RivLee (she doesn't get a Not! because they didn't even try to differentiate from the originals). But the revelation of their real identities (maybe) kind of hooked me, and I immediately watched the next episode. I hope they start calling each other by their names, though, because I can't keep the numbers straight, and I don't want to spend the whole series calling them Firefly character names.

I like blank slate stories that play with the concept of what you'd be if you didn't know who you were supposed to be.

• Love 1

This was an amazingly trope-y episode. Me and my husband had a lot of fun picking it apart (and we both groaned when the token Asian turned out to be a weapons master... I mean I can even forgive them the use of melee weapons in space, rule of cool and everything, but that was too much, and I'm not usually sensitive to the racial stuff). 

Anyway, I can't say it was an especially well done show so far, but I loved the ending twist (didn't even predict it, got distracted by trying to predict who's the mole, wanted One to be them) so I'm in. One probably was the character I liked the least, Five really interests me (again a classic trope, mysterious waif, more common in anime than western TV which is why you all automatically think about River) - I kinda want for her dream to be hers or somebody else's in the cast because space princes! Why not?

Three is a total Jayne expy, 100%. I love Jayne, though. This guy doesn't have Adam Baldwin's charisma or comedic timing, but whatever. I did like that he was the only one who wasn't a murderer.

The actress playing Two *really* reminded me of Lexa Doig, which is funny because Lexa Doig played Roger Cross' love interest on Continuum (a sci-fi show with an amazing season one that got lost in its own mythology pretty fast). I liked the character OK, but then, I'm a sucker for badass females. Her baring her midriff made no sense though and I kinda would have preferred if the actress was a bit more buff because it's a bit hard for me to buy her as a hand-to-hand fighter.

Overall, I've noticed a lot of shortcomings - the obviously paper-thin budget, bland dialogue,not so great casting - but I've been missing real sci-fi a lot (although I'm not really a fan of either Stargate or Star Trek) and an ensemble cast and the premise are both important enough hooks for me to give it a chance.

• Love 2

Just catching up with this now because my niece reported good things. Have to say the first 15 minutes or so were TERRIBLE but it picked up overall and ended up as not a bad pilot. A bit too derivative in every way possible - Firefly meets Farscape without the philosophy of the first or the fun of the second - but, as Furryfury noted, it was interesting enough to give it a chance.

I also liked at least half the cast in the 10,000 other sci-fantasy projects in which they've appeared.

• Love 1

I'm also late to the show but liked it enough to keep watching. Derivative and cliched doesn't bother me too much - there aren't enough space ships on tv to be picky.  Also, Roger Cross.  And Roger Cross not being evil, even better.

I wouldn't mind a bit more humor though.

• Love 1