Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Gym

Episode synopsis: Feeling unfit, Freddie and Stuart join Ash at his gym, where a young fitness instructor persuades the pair to sign up for an expensive membership. With Freddie and Stuart spending so much time at the gym, Violet and Penelope discover how pleasant their flat can be without the bickering pair in it.

• Love 1

I really enjoyed this one. I found it interesting that the writers never made it clear whether the hot gym trainer was completely playing Freddie & Stuart, or if he was at least somewhat interested in befriending them outside the gym. Since we never saw his "partner," I'm not convinced that the trainer wasn't using that story to endear himself to them in order to expand his client roster.

I especially liked seeing Ash become protective of Freddie & Stuart, regardless of motive. I guess he was mainly upset about losing their attention, but I like to think that part of Ash's motivation for calling out the trainer was to prevent his friends from being taken for a ride.

• Love 1
(edited)

Fo me the highlight was Ash confronting the trainer in the locker room claiming "those two gays are MINE!!". I'm pretty sure Iwan let Ramsey Bolton out a little when he was shooting that scene and he was clearly enjoying it. I'm just glad they've dropped the "mother calling at the beginning" part of the show, it was getting a bit old.

Edited by madhacker
  • Love 1

LOL, that was great! They made me laugh several times. And while I admit I thought that Theo(n) was going to be flayed, Ash's threating side was quite different from Ramsay's. Loved when he was so protective of Stuart and Freddie. 

The dog is alive!!!

Fo me the highlight was Ash confronting the trainer in the locker room claiming "those two gays are MINE!!".

I loved his threat of telling everyone he was five years old than he is.

• Love 1

I was halfway through the episode before I placed the actor playing Theo. He was Father Tom on Call the Midwife.

Whoa, I had to rewatch because he didn't seem familiar to me at all, but now I see it!

I'm pretty sure Iwan let Ramsey Bolton out a little when he was shooting that scene and he was clearly enjoying it.

I thought that too. There such a huge difference between Ramsey Bolton and Ash, but we saw a little bit of Ramsey in Ash in this episode. Although again I have to say Ash has become a little too attached and/or dependent on Freddie and Stuart seemingly very quickly. I wish they'd throw in a line of dialogue about how long ago Ash moved into the building. It might help matters if they explained there was a one-year time jump between the first two seasons.

Overall this was a fairly weak episode though. And having watched the extra behind the scenes stuff and learning that the show is written by an American, I think I know why this show isn't stronger than it could be.

I didn't particularly enjoy this one. That's about all I have to say.

I know the trainer was trying to get them to keep signing up for more sessions, but it also seemed like he really did want to join Freddie and Stuart for dinner. I thought Ash was out of line to put the kabosh on it.