Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: Home Is Where You're Happy

Hodiak investigates Art Gladner's murder through his late wife Lucille, who runs a burlesque club. Manson hides Emma but Hodiak, under pressure from Grace, ultimately finds her and brings her home.

This really had nothing happen untill the last five or six minutes....boring...boring....I'll give it one more episode...

..and yeah, Emma's dad is a bit pathetic..I don't get why he really cares to have her back...he seemed so consumed with his own self-loathing...

Surprised that they already had Hodiak and Charles meet face-to-face.  And that they already find and bring Emma back.  Of course, I have to think Emma will probably go back to Manson soon.  She clearly wasn't happy seeing her mom again, and I don't think it was the drugs that were making her say it.

Case of the week was solved, at least.  Didn't really care about that stuff, so I hope the future ones are better.  I guess the chief being out of commission, and Cutler now leading the squad, will provide new obstacles for Hodiak and Shafe.

Of course, things are going so well for Shafe and his wife, in the middle of white suburbia.  I guess that's going to be his side-story, alongside Hodiak's drama with his ex and his son going AWOL.

Missed Charmain. 

The anachronisms are starting to bug. No one said "word salad" or "Yahtzee!" in the 1960s. And "bundling" is a very modern practice to get around campaign finance laws, of which there were none in 1969. No one, absolutely no one, would have been a "bundler" then. That's just an idiotic mistake.

Still not believing this Charlie. When people would angrily confront the historical Manson, he would dare them to kill him right there, sometimes handing them a gun. Not a hug-it-out kind of guy, the real Charlie.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm with you, Shriekingeel. I also bristled at "back in the day," "I'm good," and "Whatever." Still, loving this show.

I don't think the earlier episodes had anachronisms in the scripts (feel free to point them out). The first two episodes were written by John McNamara, the second/third by Alexandra Cunningham (which had the appropriate use, IMO, of "ball"). This one is by Sera Gamble, who, according to Wikipedia, is "known" for writing the CW's Supernatural, so...

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Yeah, I didn't think much of consequence happened until the last segment, though I did think Emma's trip was very well done (keep in mind that this is coming from someone who's never dropped acid). And getting his followers to trip while going on about whatever nonsense was on his mind was how Manson orchestrated the Tate-LaBianca murders.

Unfortunately, the scene with Emma's dad confronting Manson lacked any kind of tension, because anyone watching knew that he wasn't really going to shoot him. I've mentioned this before, but period dramas that revolve around real historical events need to be careful with that kind of thing.

I've never watched The X Files so I didn't go into this show with any kind of nostalgic fondness for David Duchovny like a lot of people did, but I really started to like him this episode. Hodiak is just so over everything about the universe and it's fantastic. And I love the mentor/teacher bromance vibe he's starting to build with Shafe, who is still very very cute. So is the snitch. The whole show could be just them sitting and talking in a car and I would watch it.

I'm starting to wonder if this whole subplot with the drug ring and the Manson stuff is eventually going to converge. I feel like it might, because if not it would really just be there to fill time between Emma sightings.

Where was Charmain? :(

• Love 5

Re-watching this now live after having seen all but the last episode, I can say without spoiling anything that this show is more of a who-dunnit than a biopic of Manson, so keep your eyes peeled, kiddos, and take notes on characters in this episode who might appear again later. If it were written as well as Breaking Bad, I wouldn't have to tell you this, but it's still a great show, IMO.

• Love 2

Re-watching this now live after having seen all but the last episode, I can say without spoiling anything that this show is more of a who-dunnit than a biopic of Manson, so keep your eyes peeled, kiddos, and take notes on characters in this episode who might appear again later. If it were written as well as Breaking Bad, I wouldn't have to tell you this, but it's still a great show, IMO.

Thanks for this -- I was a little bored with this ep, but did wonder if they were setting things up for later plot development.

Anyone know how Aquarius is doing in the ratings?  Just curious if it's likely to get another season.

• Love 1

The anachronisms are starting to bug. No one said "word salad" or "Yahtzee!" in the 1960s. And "bundling" is a very modern practice to get around campaign finance laws, of which there were none in 1969. No one, absolutely no one, would have been a "bundler" then. That's just an idiotic mistake.

Still not believing this Charlie. When people would angrily confront the historical Manson, he would dare them to kill him right there, sometimes handing them a gun. Not a hug-it-out kind of guy, the real Charlie.

Yahtzee was invented in 1956

• Love 2

Yahtzee was invented in 1956

And was extremely popular.  Just about everyone played it.

So far, the series has been pretty good in the matter of anachronisms, although I imagine a few might creep in now and then.  Personally, it wouldn't bother me too much, unless it's something really glaringly obvious, like somebody using an iPad.

• Love 4