Type keyword(s) to search

Born Schizophrenic (Discovery Life) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I've watched it before because I love learning about schizophrenia.  I highly recommend the book "Is there no place on Earth for me?" by Susan Sheehan if you find the topic interesting.

As for this case, I don't know.  I've read so many theories that the parents have munchausens and their kids were just imaginative but then convinced they were sick.  I think they would have been given their own series on TLC but producers were too concerned something was up.

• Love 3

I've watched it before because I love learning about schizophrenia.  I highly recommend the book "Is there no place on Earth for me?" by Susan Sheehan if you find the topic interesting.

As for this case, I don't know.  I've read so many theories that the parents have munchausens and their kids were just imaginative but then convinced they were sick.  I think they would have been given their own series on TLC but producers were too concerned something was up.

He hints at being angry about not getting more money from OWN here:

http://janifoundation.org/dog-days/

• Love 1

He hints at being angry about not getting more money from OWN here:

http://janifoundation.org/dog-days/

That guy sounds like a first-rate asshole. I don't think he's just hinting at not getting more money but loudly screaming he deserved more -- along with his own show.

When I first watched the special about Jani, I thought the whole thing reeked of bullshit orchestrated by the parents. Now, I'm convinced it was.

The Guardian just had an article saying that hallucinations are actually common in children, for some reason.  It made me think of January, and maybe she just got a ton of attention and positive re-enforcement for hers so it just snowballed.

• Love 2

The Guardian just had an article saying that hallucinations are actually common in children, for some reason.  It made me think of January, and maybe she just got a ton of attention and positive re-enforcement for hers so it just snowballed.

That kid got on my friggin nerves!

• Love 5

I just re-watched the specials a few days ago, and every time I see them, I'm less convinced that Jani is seriously mentally ill. She probably does have some behavioral issues and/or personality disorder, but imaginary friends are common, especially in highly intelligent children. I think she's smart, a bit disturbed, and being raised by people who have some serious issues of their own. Bodhi has been diagnosed as autistic, and the mom insists that it's a matter of time until he gets the schizophrenia diagnosis, too. Yeah, go ahead and manifest that, lady. The epilogue also said the parents have filed for divorce. Not sure if it's since been finalized but anybody could've seen it coming!

• Love 6

Yes! Thank you.  These parents have a textbook case of Munchhausen Syndrome by Proxy. I can believe that Jani has issues, she seems to be extremely smart, but probably does have mental issues (maybe she gets bored easily), but that cocktail of drugs they have her on CAN'T be good for her growing body.  But when they announced that their son is also schizophrenic, they jumped the shark.  They are going to end up killing these kids.

• Love 7

I remember seeing the first special a few years ago and thinking something was up then but thought I was a horrible person for doubting it. Thank god I'm not alone with this thought! Maybe Jani really has some issues but I feel like A LOT of it is learned behavior/coached by her parents. In the first special they showed some home videos of baby Jani supposedly having "hallucinations" and staring at the wall? The way they narrated it made it really eerie and weird but now that I have my own kids I'm like, really? 

They also said in the either the first or second special that the cocktail of drugs she was on should've incapacitated a full grown man but she was still pinging off the walls with it? WHY would doctors give a dosage like that to a small child? It all seems so extreme to me. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I highly recommend the book Jani's dad wrote - it's called "January First."

I haven't followed the family recently, but the book (assuming that everything he writes is true) is heartbreaking and convincing, especially the parts about the lack of options and cost prohibitions of long term care for the severely mentally ill and support for their parents/caregivers in the U.S.

That said, I'll say that the dad doesn't come off as likable in his own book. But if this family's struggles are as real as they are portrayed in the book/blog, then I'm sure I'd become an unlikable person after living these parents' day-to-day lives. (And he's a tool for having an affair.)

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 2
(edited)

I read the book before I watched the shows.  It didn't occur to me that it might not be real.

The parents are divorced.  Michael lives with his girlfriend somewhere where it snows heavily.  Susan has both kids. Jani has improved a lot and helps take care of Bodhi.

Edited by savannah1985

There was an update show (which was probably a rerun I've just never seen) on Discovery Life this week. Oh hey! What a surprise! Jani is "better" and now Bodhi, the younger son, is conveniently a self harmer who had a "radical personality change" who is now "worse" than Jani.

The two of these parents are despicable famewhores at best and Munchhausen by proxy dirtbags at worst. I didn't believe a word that came out of their mouths. I can't believe these two overly self aware miscreants seemed almost GIDDY at the thought that Bodhi would have "schizophrenia," too. 

I watched it.  I hadn't seen it before.
Jani is better, mom is engaged to a guy, and they're planning wedding soon.  He's good with both kids.
Bhodie still having lots of hospital visits.

Watched the update as well.  I don't mean to come off as heartless but Bodhi appears so disturbed, does he even benefit from being home?  Would he perhaps even be better off in a facility of some sort with trained caregivers who are there to do a job?  His parents live like animals all to benefit him, when I'm not sure he's even benefiting?  What kind of quality of life is this for any of them?

The one caregiver they had helping was so severely anorexic I'm not sure how she could even physically be helpful in restraining Bodhi.  

Jani is better, mom is engaged to a guy, and they're planning wedding soon. 

Again, he must be a better person than I am because I do not understand the motivations of a person who would willingly interject themselves into this shit show.  

• Love 8
On 6/15/2017 at 0:13 PM, Kiki620 said:

I do not understand the motivations of a person who would willingly interject themselves into this shit show.  

They're all insane. The mother, the father, the fiancé. And whatever mental health issues those kids truly have was something forced on them by the parents. Nutcases, all.

I thought it was very interesting that Bohdi was in full meltdown mode screaming to go to the hospital, but when they decide to take him he is absolutely fine, he walks himself to the car and everything. He seems perfectly fine once he got what he wants. I wonder why he wants to go to the hospital so much? Maybe his mom makes him crazy or he gets special treats at the hospital that he doesn't get at home.

(edited)

Yikes.  Did anyone see this: https://www.patheos.com/blogs/withoutacrystalball/2019/03/born-schizophrenic-parents-face-judge-in-medical-abuse-case/

Those poor kids will be free at last from the media.  Their mother always gave me the creeps (and Dad isn't far behind), even with the very first special in 2012.  When Bodhi was born and she claimed that he had the same issues Jani did, she seemed a little bit too excited about it.  That screams Munchausen by proxy.  She almost relished seeking medical attention for him at any cost.  She took that poor boy to FIFTY doctors to "diagnose" him.  The media gag will prevent us from being able to learn about the kids' progress, but I'm grateful for it just the same, for their sake. 

Edited by Suzy Rhapsody
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4

Also, for those who are interested, here's a Dr. Phil (ugh) interview from a few months ago: 

I have spent about two hours of my morning researching this and growing increasingly hopping mad at these so-called parents.  I have had a soft spot for Jani since I saw the first documentary on Discovery.  She seemed like such a vibrant little girl with so much potential.  The idea that she and her brother have been over-medicated to this extent is sickening.  That "superhero" dad of theirs, who supposedly sacrificed his life for his kids, moved 1,800 miles away and started a new family.  I guess it's just as well if the kids aren't exposed to either of them anymore.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

Wow...but not at all surprising. I pegged those parents as lunatics years ago. They're lucky that neither of those kids went Gypsy Blanchard on them.

Yet another case that just enrages me.  All I can hope for is that all three of them are able to physically and psychologically recover from the hell their parents put them through.  Just shameful. 

• Love 1
On 8/12/2019 at 11:42 AM, cecehe said:

I think that is the saddest article I've ever read. 

And I don't know what's sadder, the mother refusing to admit she did anything wrong (which would ensure she'd regain custody) or the father who moved to another state who doesn't want the kids either because he has a new wife, step-kid, and a new baby.

I guess neither one of them have interest in poor Jani or Bodhi since they can't make money off of their "illnesses" anymore.

Unbelievably, TLC is rerunning this show tonight at 10 ET followed by Born Schizophrenic: Big Changes (whatever the hell that is).  I wonder if they'll address how the children were removed from the mother's custody? I'm guessing that's a big, fat NO.

Also, the links that were posted a few posts above about the shit monsters who are Jani and Bodhi's parents all return 404 errors now. I guess TLC forced them to remove the information lest they not be able to continue to make money off Jani's 'schizophrenia.'

Wow.  I also came here to point out the fact that TLC is playing this special right now.  They have to be asleep at the wheel . . . right? They’re surely not this careless and clueless.  But they are.

As disgusting as this is, it’s interesting to watch their POS “mother” in action during this time, given what we know now.  She was so clearly getting off on the attention of having children with special needs.  Let’s not forget their “father,” who left the kids to fend for themselves while he starts a new life across the country with his new wife and kid.

”This morning, Jani started out hallucinating.”  Yeah, bitch, because you were medicating the shit out of her.  There is a special hell waiting for this woman.  Thank God the kids were removed from her care, but they lived so much of their childhoods with her.  It’s beyond sad.

Edited by Suzy Rhapsody
  • Love 4