Type keyword(s) to search

Texas Rising - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Texas Rising is a mini-series on the History Channel that will be run over the Memorial Day weekend holiday.  

It has a cast that includes Bill Paxton and Brendan Fraser.  It will cover the period after the Alamo, the rising of the Texas Rangers, and the Texas Revolution.  It could be interesting, even if not 100% historically accurate.  I hope it is mostly accurate, however.  

I searched for another thread on the topic, but didn't find one.

(edited)

Looks like a good cast. It starts tonight. I like that the series picks up after the Alamo.

If anyone here has not visited the Alamo, I recommend it. You'll be surprised how small it is.

I'm glad that Rick Kitchen said it's filmed in Transylvania, because the landscape doesn't look anything like the Texas I remember. Even the 'mesquite' looks fake.

Edited by ennui

I found myself not very interested in the two younger Texas Ranger guys (one is named Truett?, don't really care).  For some reason they seemed to be shoved in out faces whether the viewers were interested or not.  I cared much more about Deaf Smith and Houston than anyone else. 

I do know that it was filmed mostly in Arizona so that would explain the landscape being so different than Texas.  But then I've never been to the San Antonio area just Houston and Dallas.

I found myself not very interested in the two younger Texas Ranger guys (one is named Truett?, don't really care).  For some reason they seemed to be shoved in out faces whether the viewers were interested or not.  I cared much more about Deaf Smith and Houston than anyone else. 

I do know that it was filmed mostly in Arizona so that would explain the landscape being so different than Texas.  But then I've never been to the San Antonio area just Houston and Dallas.

Actually, the entire production is filmed in Durango, Mexico. I always am interesting in filming locales so checked the credits. Durango for everything, though many museum and historical societies in Lexington, Virginia participated in providing historical resources. The Mayor of Durango and a couple of other Mexican officials were thanked in the credits. I find this interesting only because that means that the portrayal of Santa Anna and Houston won't be so one-sided. i.e. both will be shown as good men but severely flawed. Otherwise, the Mexican officials (Mayor et all) are most likely not going to participate in a production to show one of their own President's - and military - in very poor light, if that makes sense. So that's good. Two Sam Houston museums in the US were also contributors.

The two young kids are cute - I admit - but they seem kind of goofy and more like a comedy bit running through an otherwise serious film (and situation). I was waiting for them to die, because you know their innocence is going to be taken pretty soon (next episode?).

I liked it, though it did drag for a bit. I will say that seeing how heavily stacked the credits were in terms of actors appearing, I was trying to identify them (it was sometimes hard with the weight losses and the beards and thick layers of dirt). Half the time I was like "Hey, I know him from somewhere".

Also, some of the characters looked very alike so hard to differentiate. Like that natty dressed blond guy in the bar who shot baldy, versus the blond guy who rescued the woman when the wagon overturned in the water. Same with some of the soldiers.

I am interested to see what Emily West Susanna Dickenson is up to - I did dislike the obvious female trope of 'must be rescued by man, sleep with another man', but the very end shows she's up to something. Revenge most like. I think she took a vial of poison or something toxic (mercury) from the doctor's medical chest. She's going after Santa Anna, is my prediction.

Though over all, the characters were interesting, though that second in command who kept questioning Houston - most General's wouldn't let you get away with that once. He's lucky to be alive.

I'm in for part two, which I was actually surprised airs tomorrow (well today, Tuesday night) for another two hours!

• Love 2

I THINK  that you are mistaken - or I am. The woman who slept with Houston lost her brother at the Alamo. Mrs. Dickinson was  a white woman, who was riding in a wagon.

• Love 2
(edited)

I quite enjoyed it, but was wracking my brain trying to figure out who was who, so I stopped the tape & checked the cast so I could keep my mind on the story.

Here's the cast for anyone else that may be interested.

http://www.history.com/shows/texas-rising/cast

Also, if you click on the "head", it gives you the back-story for each character.  Sure makes it easier for me, a Canadian, who is not that familiar with American history.

Edited by Medicine Crow

"Emily West" survived the Alamo & bedded Sam Houston.  Except that the real Emily West was nowhere near San Antonio & was not a prostitute.  The "Yellow Rose of Texas" tale is mostly balderdash & they're embellishing the balderdash in this series. 

The history is faulty & the "look" is all wrong. Texans did not dress like that in 1835.  They wore buckskins--or frockcoats with tall hats if they were "gentlemen."  A few fighters in the Revolution had uniforms of sorts but they did not look like frigging Civil War uniforms.  "Texas" is far too mountainous. 

And I do not find those young fellows as charming as I'm supposed to.  Only saw the first half--Turn is better almost-history.  Will catch up u& then keep up. 

I THINK  that you are mistaken - or I am. The woman who slept with Houston lost her brother at the Alamo. Mrs. Dickinson was  a white woman, who was riding in a wagon.

You are right. I was thrown off when Emily West (yes, played by Cynthia Addai-Robinson) went into Houston's tent and it sounded like Sam called her Emily Dickenson at first (threw me off), but then I was like, but her name is Susanna (from earlier I thought they called her that).  Fixed my above. Yes, Emily West.

Some of the things on the show, I have to look up, like Tejanos? No idea who they are supposed to be. Mexican Rangers? Mexican militia? I had to look it up also. The Tejanos all seemed to be wearing those blue military uniforms with red trim, so thought they were a specific military unit. Now I know. Tejano or Texano (Spanish for "Texan") is a term used to identify a Texan of Criollo Spanish or Mexican heritage - thanks Google.

I love Turn too but watched this last night and taped Turn. Feel bad for Turn because I am sure it got decimated in ratings due to Texas Rising.

• Love 1

I quite enjoyed it, but was wracking my brain trying to figure out who was who, so I stopped the tape & checked the cast so I could keep my mind on the story.

I had to do that too.  So many characters/actors and so many looking so similar with the beards and dirt etc. Since I'm not too familiar with Texas history, (grew up in the northeast), I always get Austin and Houston mixed up in my mind.  Both the historic figures and the cities.  I finally got the cities figured out when a friend moved there for a while.  But the men, I'm hoping that this series with help me keep them straight. 

From what I've read, a lot of the actors were simply thrilled to have the chance to be in a Western so they took whatever part they could.

• Love 1

Well, I was right about the two young kids who were so cute and innocent being killed off.

Houston gave the same speech last episode as he did at the end of this episode. Almost the exact same one.

Jeremy Davies looks ill, he's so thin. Brendan Fraser sounds like he has a throat infection at times, he sounds strange.

It was not bad but slow. And again, certain characters are coming across as goofy and don't seem to be taking anything serious. Comedy within a sea of Texas death. It just seems incredibly out of place.

• Love 1

This miniseries is doing one thing brilliantly:  Showing WAR.  It's about being reduced to savagery.  May the smartest and strongest win.  It is horrible.

I haaaaated the introduction of the young and naive Rangers. I was pissed that they were gonna represent the adventurous spirit which so many epics have used. They were gonna be "us." Vomit.

Then, they were freaking destroyed! YES! Wow. TPTB are NOT playing. They are really giving it to us. I am impressed.

I very, very, much appreciate the outline of the justifications of all sides.  They each had some darn good reasons to claim those lands.  The seemingly cruel Santa Ana was not wrong to choose to wipe out all resistance.  To him, the Texians were basically terrorists.  As another poster noted, the overwhelming majority of them were not uniformed.  

I wish the acting were not so wooden.  There isn't a whole lot of nuanced context in most of the interactions.  I see a lot of robots acting out.  This is often an issue with such grand epics.  However, I give TPTB tons of points for their ambition.

Our heritage, as all heritages are, is a messy one.  Our expansion west through Texas to the Pacific being a fine example.  For me, what counts is what we did with those lands upon conquering them.   The best part of this miniseries is in showing the prices paid.  Those costs should leave us forever vigilant to advance freedom.  Else, we become what we purported to fight in the first place.

• Love 3
(edited)
Comedy within a sea of Texas death. It just seems incredibly out of place.

I'm also finding it jumping around in search of a tone, especially the sound track.  The massacre of Goliad was strangely unmoving, maybe in part because they kept trying to interject bouncy, upbeat music whenever the two young guys appeared

Edited by backgroundnoise
(edited)

I'm not sure that's a correct interpretation of Santa Anna.

Indeed. A good man but seriously flawed really does not apply to Santa Anna.  He may not have been the cartoon villain we see but he is not beloved in Mexico.  Santa Anna signed away huge amounts of Mexican land at the end of the Texas Revolution & after the Mexican War.  General Urrea was a better commander--& did not want to massacre those who had surrendered at Goliad. But Santa Anna was the dictator.  

I mean to pay better attention so I can do a historical critique. But the thing is not that well written--a really good story can make me ignore some errors.  And there are some fine actors--but not well used. My attention keeps wandering. 

Edited by not Bridget
Indeed. A good man but seriously flawed really does not apply to Santa Anna.

I'm not sure that's a correct interpretation of Santa Anna.

Yeah, you know what? I posted that after the first two hour episode on Monday. By the end of the second (2-hour) episode, I was like....yeah, no.....I was wrong....

In fact, I was specifically thinking of my Monday post and thinking "yup, wrong...." *grin*  Eh...what are you gonna do?

• Love 2

Welp.  It's no Lonesome Dove, but I liked it well enough.  I'll continue to watch.

That’s the problem. Lonesome Dove was so great, any western about Texas will suffer in comparison.

I wasn’t able to watch part 2, but I did like part 1. I guess there are three more parts? On Mondays? I wish networks would explain this stuff better for us dinosaurs. How are we supposed to know when to tune in, or whether it’s over?

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm gamely hanging in as I love TX history and lived there a couple times. Agree that some of the speechifyin' is stilted and hammy and the tone is all over the place. I too went to IMDB to research the actors and came to a dismayed, screeching halt when I spotted Slade Smiley (of the original Housewives group). He's apparently in the first episode, although I did not see him.

Loved being reminded of the Alamo's original distant, forlorn location, all by its lonesome out in the middle of nowhere. Today it's surrounded on all sides by modern infrastructure. You walk along a sidewalk and then bam, there it is.

I'm kinda taken with Deaf Smith. I've been buying Deaf Smith County flour all these years and never connected the name with a real person.

Edited by pasdetrois
I'm kinda taken with Deaf Smith.

Me too.  I expect he's not going to be around much longer, what with coughing up blood and such.  I'll miss him if he goes.   

I visited San Antonio about 20 years ago and was so excited to be going to see the Alamo.  I went downtown and BAM!  It was right there.  I said whaaaa?????

• Love 1

I don't know, man. It's getting a bit too hokey for me. Like, "Hardcase" riding that poor tiny burro, for chuckles, or that all the men can do is jive about women and food and nonsense, and all the women can do it look pretty and be an object for the men to paw at. I'm not looking for dark angst and bloody gore, but there seems to be too much jokey "light" also. This was a hard life, a hard time and there was lots of conflict and danger for everyone living at that time. All of the characters - except Deaf - seem to be caricatures. Too many goofy pratfalls. I don't know...

I was waiting for the episode to end so I could get to watching Turn. Turn was much better.

I'm not looking for dark angst and bloody gore, but there seems to be too much jokey "light" also. This was a hard life, a hard time and there was lots of conflict and danger for everyone living at that time.

The harder the times, the more need for silly humor. Darkness needs light to make it tolerable.

I just realized that Deaf Smith and Joe DiMaggio (Marilyn Monroe film on Lifetime) are the same Jeffrey Dean Morgan. Maybe one of these will give him a career boost?

I just realized that Deaf Smith and Joe DiMaggio (Marilyn Monroe film on Lifetime) are the same Jeffrey Dean Morgan. Maybe one of these will give him a career boost?

If you're enjoying JDM he was John Winchester for many episodes in the first couple of seasons of Supernatural, was the Comedian in Watchmen, and was the lead in the Starz series 'Magic City'. And he'll be recurring on the 2nd season of 'Extant' on CBS with Halle Barry. And WAY back in the day he was a love interest for Katherine Heigl in Grey's Anatomy. 

(edited)

I am woefully ignorant of this piece of history.  However, just exactly when did Santa Ana outstrip his supply lines, which was the key to Houston;s entire strategy?  This series sure didn't show it.  I know that once the USA got into it, Mexico was doomed to lose.  But, what the heck was Houston's motivation to order a seeming suicide attack??!!  Based on what this show outlined, that was just what he was doing.  Point being, the strategic exposition is sorely, sorely, lacking.

It was jarring that TPTB spent so much time on developing the story of the settlers who were deeded the land by an agent of Mexico.  Soooo much time was devoted to just that family.  Odd choice.  Having said that, I once again loved the realism of the up close and merciless violence.  It really is something how so many of our forebears took such risks.  Many paid horrible prices, too.  

My biggest UGH goes to the femme fatale who had every chance in the world to shoot and kill Santa Ana, but dithered until it was too late.  How many times, in movies, do we see folks who seem to have signed on for a mission sure to result in death, balk at actions which might could cause such.  She literally had the most essential opponent in her sights, dead to rights, and refused to finish him.  Just stoopid.

Oh well, I continue to love the ambition.  I'll never accept silliness, though. 

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes

My biggest UGH goes to the femme fatale who had every chance in the world to shoot and kill Santa Ana, but dithered until it was too late.  How many times, in movies, do we see folks who seem to have signed on for a mission sure to result in death, balk at actions which might could cause such.  She literally had the most essential opponent in her sights, dead to rights, and refused to finish him.  Just stoopid.

Despite her beauty, her acting leaves a lot to be desired.  Sometimes just bad line delivery.  I still can't get over her "I need a stallion" line in last weeks episodes.  WTF?

I knew the settlers were toast early on.  Very sad but as disjointed as everything seems to be plot-wise, I'm beginning to think that there has to be a cluster of meaninless deaths in each episode.  Unfortunately Dickie Bennet doesn't seem to be one of them. 

I do wish that the story didn't keep jumping around so much.  Even if it all ends up in the same place (which I'm not opptomistic about happening) it keeps breaking the flow of the narrative.  I wish they'd stick to one storyline before jumping to another. 

And I'm heartly tire of all of the same pick-up truck ads they keep showing over and over.

Why did they have to kill the puppy? The kids were bad enough - axe to the back of the head ugh - but an arrow through the puppy. And the close up afterward.

• Love 1

I agree the femme fatale's acting leaves something to be desired.  She was also in Spartacus and her acting wasn't that good in that either.

Regarding the settler family, the dad knew something was wrong when he picked the arrowhead out of the wood on the house.  He should have packed up his family right then and there.

Besides Deaf, I think my favorite character now is they guy who played Dickie Bennet in Justified.  He's basically reprised that role and he plays the little slimy creepy guy so well, and he's funny at times.  I just hope he doesn't turn into a really bad guy.

I still can't get over her "I need a stallion" line in last weeks episodes.  WTF?

I haven't seen it, but completely out of context, stallions are the strongest. Did she need the strongest horse possible?

This isn't bad, but at times it can be too hard to follow.  It seems like there are quite a bit of different stories going on at once.  Aside from the lead characters, I have no clue as to who any of these people are. I'm more recognizing faces than knowing who the characters are.

• Love 2

I haven't seen it, but completely out of context, stallions are the strongest. Did she need the strongest horse possible?

In a very loose manner of speaking....

This isn't bad, but at times it can be too hard to follow.  It seems like there are quite a bit of different stories going on at once.  Aside from the lead characters, I have no clue as to who any of these people are. I'm more recognizing faces than knowing who the characters are.

Oh, I don't even have half the main characters down.

Heh, I told a friend that I'm watching and missed the final 5-10 minutes of Monday's episode. He laughed and said, "I hope I don't spoil it for you... Texas wins. I've seen the plaque."

• Love 2

In a very loose manner of speaking....

exactly,  I'm pretty sure that most of the horses were geldings and mares.  Stallions were not necessarily the best behaved, dependable transport.

I did a minimal bit of research and discovered that Houston's forces had marched a wee few miles from when he said he was going to gather in Victoria.  Like, over ONE HUNDRED!!!!!!  

I really want to be wrong about this, but was there any exposition (graphics???) that even hinted at this?  I totally missed any.  

The set-up of the San Jacinto battlefield was well done, though.  

I just finished watching the last episode & really must say I found it very difficult to follow & determine what was happening.  I'll still watch, because I love "westerns", but .....

Yesterday, they started with the first episode in the afternoon, and I found it much easier to keep track of the characters and the action when watching the marathon. I didn’t think much of Olivier Martinez as Santa Anna, but he gets better.

I’m impressed with the large battle scenes – well choreographed and very dusty.

Deaf Smith is difficult to believe, though, coughing up copious amounts of blood and still an effective fighter. The Energizer Bunny of the old west.

Consider this a reminder that people are allowed an opinion, even if you disagree. And that means accepting those differences for what they are and not attacking your fellow posters over them.

So let's keep the snark to what is on screen and keep things cordial and respectful.

Any questions, feel free to PM me.

Thank you.

• Love 2

Yesterday, they started with the first episode in the afternoon, and I found it much easier to keep track of the characters and the action when watching the marathon. I didn’t think much of Olivier Martinez as Santa Anna, but he gets better.

I’m impressed with the large battle scenes – well choreographed and very dusty.

Deaf Smith is difficult to believe, though, coughing up copious amounts of blood and still an effective fighter. The Energizer Bunny of the old west.

Watching it in one swoop might make it easier to remember who is who. At least on the Texan side. Olivier Martinez will forever be Diane Lane's affair from Unfaithful.

Yeah, Deaf Smith not being dead from consumption yet is crazy, but darn if I wasn't crying when JDM saw he was going to have to put his horse down.

• Love 2

If nothing else, this mini-series has courageously shown that pretty much all sides have good points and they each do horrible things.  It's war and it is terrible.  

More and more, the individual stories drag everything down.  The acting is typically bad.  

Am I the only one who channeled Clint Eastwood's phenomenal movie, High Plains Drifter during the scene where the townsfolk trapped the Commanche and killed several of them?  

I get how ridiculously difficult it is to stage battles such as the one depicted in this act.  But, it seemed like the Texians had a loaded gun well into the fight and almost no Mexicans did.   History recorded a massive advantage in KIA and WIA for Houston's men, but it was odd seeing them shooting long after their first contact with the enemy.  They would not have had opportunity to re-load.

Also, the saboteurs were walking on egg shells as they planted the powder kegs.  The dragoons were literally right on top of them.  Then, just before it was gonna blow, they were able to just jump away, on some ground (despite being on a bridge) and not landing in the water, and run for cover without being seen/heard?   It's a fine thing to build up suspense and outline how tough a given task is.   But, using extreme close-ups to portray physical impossibilities and not payoff what was established ruins it.  I have little doubt that the Rangers actions were entirely heroic.  I hadn't realized that Superman and Spiderman were part of it, though.

• Love 2

The actress who plays Emily West is just awful, and I hate it when she's on the screen.

I agree the femme fatale's acting leaves something to be desired.  She was also in Spartacus and her acting wasn't that good in that either.

Despite her beauty, her acting leaves a lot to be desired.  Sometimes just bad line delivery.  I still can't get over her "I need a stallion" line in last weeks episodes.  WTF?

Wow, interesting comments. I find Emily West and her actress to be the better, more enjoyable parts of the show. I love her accent. Most of my favorite scenes involve her in it (her prayer in episode 3, the scenes with Sam Houston in his tent in episode 1). I don't recall that stallion line, or any badly delivered line in general.

The only thing I think is that her storyline with the botched vengeance plot in episode 4 was rather anti climatic after all that build up. They could have shown her putting up a fight instead of just running away.

• Love 1

Like all historical depictions, people seem to expect it to be a documentary, which it does not claim to be. It's still a good story.

And I'm heartly tire of all of the same pick-up truck ads they keep showing over and over.

I got tired of the Sam Adams beer commercials during Sons of Liberty. Nevertheless, productions need sponsors.

(edited)

It was extremely difficult imagining the meeting between Jackson and Santa Anna being so cordial.  Each were megalomaniacs who made their bones actually crushing real bones.  

I kept waiting for Ray Liotta to serve 1800 tequila when he tended Emily's bar and served Houston.  The Tom Mitchell character was easily the most interesting and compelling one in this series, for me.  I had no issue whatever of the violence he did to the Mexican enemy and their allied folks.  What he did to the "civilians" was grotesque.  I'm glad TPTB took the time to try to explain his redemption.  They just didn't do a very good job of it.  

I was offended that yet again, we had the total nudity of the woman, but not that of a man, despite several places where it would have been appropriate.  Fine by me if there would have been zero nudity.  However, if you are gonna go there, don't be sexist about it!

Related to this...I found it laughable that the recovered wife in Victoria was telling Deaf how to be when he called out Mitchell.  In 1830's wild and woolly Texas, a woman would call out the baddest Ranger of them all?   

Perhaps the most satisfying moment - and one which truly humanized the Houston character - was when he dragged the weasel land agent to be hanged.  

Cinematically, I absolutely loved that at the end, they again juxtaposed the various sides' positions.  Boom, boom, boom.  We got an excellent, and fair, snapshot of that place in time in history.  Unusually well done.  They actually lived up to the genesis of that cable channel.  Such a pity that channel has all but abandoned their original mission.

I would totally have this shown in classrooms in middle school as a launching point for teaching this period of American history.  It showed the greatness, and the wicked, of my country's history.  Thanks to TPTB and the History Channel.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes

my favorite character was Deaf Smith and his story, it was certainly the most moving to me.  Overall, I think they tried a little too hard and had too many different storylines going on.  Bang -- its those rascally, brave Rangers!  Bang -- its the oh so brave Emily West spying  Bang -- its two miscellaneous guys wandering around looking for ones brother,  Bang -- its the conflicted, embattled Sam Houston, and so on.  I can't help but think that they would have loved to have concentrated on the Texas Rangers but there was too much other plot that needed to be included.

Overall, I did enjoy it despite the erratic-ness.

• Love 1

I agree that there were too many stories going on at once.  There were so many characters in this that the only reason I was able to keep track of them was because I was familiar with the actors.  I did like the last few minutes where they had the actors and the real people with short summaries of each character.

I did enjoy this.  I'm an East Coast girl who has grown up with tons of colonial history (especially Virginia and Pennsylvania history), so this was something new for me.  

• Love 2

I did enjoy this.  I'm an East Coast girl who has grown up with tons of colonial history (especially Virginia and Pennsylvania history), so this was something new for me.  

Mr. Zoey and I both grew up in Kansas, and I commented the other night that if we'd grown up in Texas, we'd know a lot more about this history and not nearly as much about Kansas!

We've had storms that wreak havoc with DirecTV, so I'm finding I have to record episodes again in order to see the whole episode - gets frustrating!  But we're interested in the series, so it's worth it.  

I'm patiently waiting for the repeats. Even though it only ran five weeks, I found myself bereft on Monday nights.

But I suppose MNF is only weeks away.