Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E06: Kylie Minogue, Simon Pegg, Michael McIntyre, Brandon Flowers

• Start Topic

Graham Norton presents his talk show. Among his guests are pop icon Kylie Minogue, starring in earthquake action film San Andreas; Star Trek and Mission Impossible star Simon Pegg, talking about new movie Man Up; one of the world's most successful comedians, Michael McIntyre; and Killers lead singer-songwriter Brandon Flowers, performing the single I Can Change.

the single "I Can Change".

God, now the song of the same name from the South Park movie soundtrack is earworming me. Gah!

Just Youtubed the Flowers song. Not the same one. Whew!

I recently saw one of McIntyre's televised stand-up shows, and his material struck me as all 'bitches be cray, amirite?' As it it's the ladies only purpose to Always be Fuckable otherwise the world ends, which was evident in the clip Graham showed. Dim and tedious.

On the other hand, I liked Brandon Flowers's reaction to being told how handsome he is.

I suppose the audience lady who'd postponed her date is taking heat for being cold, but I'm on Team Her. Any dude who weasels his way into a public event a woman has expressly put him off to attend and publicly puts her on the spot? That's a flag as red as any chair. Flip!

That picture of Dwayne Johnson and Kylie was really funny. It's amazing how many sizes people come in, isn't it?

• Love 3

Graham is committed to his beard, isn't he? I like it, but I think it makes him look older than he is.

That picture of Dwayne Johnson and Kylie was really funny. It's amazing how many sizes people come in, isn't it?

Kylie is teeny. Apparently she has most of her shoes custom made because her feet are so small.

I suppose the audience lady who'd postponed her date is taking heat for being cold, but I'm on Team Her. Any dude who weasels his way into a public event a woman has expressly put him off to attend and publicly puts her on the spot? That's a flag as red as any chair. Flip!

It's as bad as a very public proposal. Good for her for not letting him manipulate her like that.

• Love 1

He was just very interrupty. "Oh you're going to talk to these other guests here? NO I WILL CONTINUE TALKING. I MUST BE INVOLVED IN EVERY EXCHANGE OF WORDS. Attention must be paid to me at least every 60 seconds!" etc. That's the vibe I got, so even if he had been funny (which he wasn't especially to me), um, dude, let other people get their promote on.

I mean, I've seen plenty of episodes of this show that were more sort of loose, not everyone with rigidly their own segment, everyone kind of all chatting together naturally for the bulk of the show, and those have gone well before, but those happened organically? This was not an example of that.

• Love 1

For the most part, I liked this episode. Until she mentioned it, I hadn't realized it -- but Graham does always call Kylie Minogue by her full name.

I thought Simon Pegg looked like he lost weight, so I did some research. Apparently, he gave up drinking. I also saw (of what turns out to be an old feud) that he called Ricky Gervais a "fat idiot." Ricky Gervais isn't my favorite of actors, but I thought that was uncalled for. It colored my view of Simon Pegg, but apparently that feud was settled. Now I can just dislike him for writing the new Star Trek movie, apparently with the instructions to make it less 'Star Trek-y.'

The third chair did keep pushing his way in to conversations, but for the most part, he was OK.

I'm glad Graham called out Brandon Flowers for sampling Bronski Beat's "Smalltown Boy" in his song (and considering it was the whole under-melody [or whatever you call it], it was more than sampling).

I wonder if the red chair was a set-up. I don't think either the man or the woman came across well. Presumably, you have to arrange in advance to get tickets to see a taping. If that's the case, why would the woman have made a date knowing she had was going to be busy that night? She seemed to be part of the whole "hag-do" crowd, so it's likely it was arranged previously. If her involvement was  a last-minute thing, then it doesn't say much that she cancelled as soon as something better came along. 

Was the guy in the red chair a member of the studio audience? If the Graham Norton show invited him to be on just for the red chair, then it was a pretty shitty thing to do, considering the woman had cancelled a date twice. I don't think there really was a need to embarrass him like that.

For the most part, I liked this episode. Until she mentioned it, I hadn't realized it -- but Graham does always call Kylie Minogue by her full name.

FWIW, my parents are Irish immigrants, they constantly refer to and call people by their first and last names.  Anne Rice also had an Irish character with the same quirk.

FWIW, my parents are Irish immigrants, they constantly refer to and call people by their first and last names.  Anne Rice also had an Irish character with the same quirk.

Yeah, Graham does that to everyone when he transitions to them.  Or most people, most of the time.

• Love 1
I don't think there really was a need to embarrass him like that.

I suspect everyone involved assumed the woman would be pleased. Which, you're right, is thoughtless.

Now you've got me thinking: There are some people I know whom I must call by their full names whenever I address them. It's not across the board, though. There are a surprising number of people (none of whom know each other, interestingly enough) that always call me "Ms [attica]". Maybe I remind people of the Romper Room Ladies?

Some people's names go together so well that it's a shame not to use them both. I had a friend in high school whom we always called FirstNameLastName.

This isn't the first time someone in the Red Chair has related to someone/something on the show. Wasn't there someone last week who was the person the celebrity was talking about? (Sorry for the ridiculously vague language. The details are lost to me.) That instance was more charming, though, as it didn't have such stalkery vibes. I hope that lady got home okay.

• Love 1

Until she mentioned it, I hadn't realized it -- but Graham does always call Kylie Minogue by her full name.

NPR hosts (Terry Gross in particular) do this all the time during interviews too.

Some people's names go together so well that it's a shame not to use them both. I had a friend in high school whom we always called FirstNameLastName.

A friend and I do the same thing with FirstName LastName.

This isn't the first time someone in the Red Chair has related to someone/something on the show. Wasn't there someone last week who was the person the celebrity was talking about? (Sorry for the ridiculously vague language. The details are lost to me.)

I think the red chair you might be thinking of was Judi Dench and the chair person had been at the same party. (And as I write that, I think there might have been another instance with a male actor. )

There was also the young lady that while on holiday with friends went to a posh party and she embarrassed herself by falling, in front of everyone, when going down the stairs.  The first person to go to her aid was one of Graham's guests that night, Julie Walters.

• Love 3