Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E25: Reunion: Part 3

• Start Topic

I thought NeNe was right in thinking the therapy was put together to help the other's conflicts with each other, not to involve NeNe. There are stages of therapy. Doesn't anyone find that her process was correct, since after she left, they started working on their own problems? And seemed to work them out? That was NeNe's goal. I find it odd that they don't see this. NeNe ain't gonna let anyone come for her, right or wrong. And it was a pile up at the therapy. She told them ahead, I want y'all to work out your troubles with each other. Their troubles with each other were not their troubles with her. They might surely have troubles with her but that was not the point of the session.

I agree Nene anticipated the therapy was supposed to be all about everyone else's problems with each other (and not her), but that was very unrealistic of her.  Too many people in the session had problems with her, and she really can't expect to none of those issues to come up.  And she can't dictate what other people are going to want to delve into in a group therapy situation.  I think that is why everyone ended up so focused on her ... her response to being brought into the discussion- basically to try to dominate the other women and shut them down by shouting and carrying on - was just the thing that so many of the other women don't like about her in everyday life.  She just made it worse trying to use an already bothersome behavior to try to control the situation.  But because there was a whole room full of women tired of that behavior, Nene got drowned out and had to just take it. That is until she ran out of the room, lol.   

It was the same thing at the reunion.  People didn't do what Nene wanted them to do, so she got loud, which usually that works for her (recall how Kim Zolciak always used to run away from her when she got like that?) But the other women pushed back hard and when Nene realized she wasn't going to be able to dictate how things went, she turned and ran and then unleashed the waterworks.

Lol she probably went home after the therapy session and sobbed all over Gregg but we just didn't get to see it.  That's Nene in a nutshell ... she tries to control everything by saying how things are supposed to go according to her, then when it doesn't go as planned she starts yelling and throws a fit.  People either back down and she is happy or they don't and she runs away and cries about how cruel the world is to her.  Rinse Repeat. 

Here is the clip of that classic Nene and Sheree's showdown.  Nene first tried to establish the parameters of the conversation they are going to have, Sheree doesn't obey, Nene starts shouting, but Sheree doesn't back down, so Nene runs away (they don't show her crying to Cynthia, but that is what she went and did)   http://www.bravotv.com/the-real-housewives-of-atlanta/season-4/episode-401/videos?clip=17392707

Nene has been working this same game for years.

• Love 4

I don't swear in real life (truly) but FUCK OFF NeNe. Eff off and take your brown nose pseudo therapist with you (I am a Bachelor of Behavioural Science, Psychology, and I do NOT condone his 'therapy'. To me, he is acting like a TV whore and not a therapist. I did not see any bonfide group therapy. Instead, he was a NeNe apologist. He couldn't even pretend to be a therapist who was interested in each of the women's perspectives, which is what a group therapy session (and the subsequent reunion) should have entailed.

I DO NOT KNOW how Kenya kept it together given her own mother abandonment issues. Kenya actually articulated support to NeNe . Wow. Good on you Kenya.

Take away message from this episode: therapy should not be on camera. When we know a camera is on us we act differently.

So much word to all of this. I'm against televised therapy sessions since I don't believe anyone is truly honest on air. But that "therapist" was completely bogus with all his Nene coddling. That bitch's tears were real but it was b/c her goodwill she once had with the audience has abandoned her like her mother did. She needs to leave the show and get a new Schlick.

I love that Kandi didn't enable her and run to her side since she thought her "breakdown" was also BS. People say Sheree never backed down from Nene but Kandi doesn't miss a beat in not cowering to her either. Kandi doesn't need nor care for Nene doesn't buy into Nene's Nouveau-riche BS and I love that it completely bugs her.

• Love 3

What I think is so funny is that NeNe was barely there. There was no reason for the women to focus on her that much. She tried to be cordial but that wasn't enough these women wanted hugs and hang out time. Why wasn't her saying "let's be cool enough to be in the same room but we ain't got to kick it" enough? Especially since they say they didn't want anything to do with her. Just wave, say Hi and keep it moving.

• Love 5

I think it says a lot that Kenya nodded when Cynthia explained that Nene never really talked about her mother whereas Kenya has shared and has been open with it.. Kenya nodded, listened but you could still see it in her face that it wasn't cool that Nene was so callous about Kenya's situation regarding her mom however she drank it in and accepted it as enough for her to just reign in her emotions about it. Cause basically another excuse was being made on Nene's behalf on why it's okay for Nene to have a breakdown about her mothers issues and expect people to be respectful of if but Kenya's situation doesn't deserve the same compassion.

• Love 4

I agree, Kenya showed a lot of restraint in that moment.  And if there was ever a topic Kenya deserved to raise hell over, it is the nasty way her situation with her mother has been talked about by a couple of the other women. Seeing the show shut down so everyone could coddle Nene must have been a "what the?" moment.  She showed a lot of dignity letting it go. 

• Love 8

But that Nene James Brown walk-off was reality gold.

I don't normally watch RHoA anymore. I did see a few moments of NeNe making her grand exit. At the time I thought "dramatic funeral exit" or "dramatic church salvation," especially when everybody was propping her up. But the James Brown comparison is pure genius. Nailed it.

• Love 2

I have had the same experiences and I also believe Nene's breakthrough was manipulation.  People with mental illnesses, as I have been told by a therapist, can be just as manipulative and willful as people who don't have mental illnesses.

And often more so; they've usually learned from experts in their families.

(edited)

I'd also like to call bullshit on Claudia and her offense at the fact that Nene called her a half breed.  Fine, be offended, but spare me the "Maybe you should think about those other people you know personally who are mixed race when you use that type of language."  *hair flip*  

Really?

Claudia, honey, were you thinking about all your friends when you made your teeth comments?  Hmmmmmm?

And I'm comfortable sitting at the table of 1 with Nene's breakdown.  I thought it was real and I felt bad for her.  In my experience, the people who are the biggest assholes are those who have been the most hurt in their lives.  Does it excuse their behavior?  Absolutely not.  But I'm not a person who will get down in the dirt with them and sink to that level.  Treat someone with kindness and love and then you don't have to use someone else's behavior to justify your own.

Great post, and may I join you?

NeNe's reaction looked very real to me; whatever she was going though was deeply painful. The most sensitive, deeply wounded people often use brashness and bravado as their armour. It's brittle though, and shatters easily. (I sound like Greg, sheesh) and I think that's what we saw there. Sometimes, too, people with difficult pasts get kind of emotionally stuck at the age their trauma occurred, they do not develop emotional maturity. And I do think we see that in NeNe.

I found the episode quite moving. 

Edited by Jel
  • Love 1