Type keyword(s) to search

Hawkgirl: Hasn't She Been Here Before?

• Start Topic

Kendra Saunders / Hawkgirl is being played by Broadway actress Ciara Renee.  Should anyone be interested, here is her Twitter account, her Instagram is here, and if you look at the Instagram acct. and live in the NYC area she is doing a concert this Friday at a place called 54 Below.

Personally, I've never seen the Kendra Saunders version of the character, but my hope is that she will be wearing a version of the classic Hawkgirl helmet (similar to the one from the JL cartoon), and not the silver, more-conventional helmet I've seen in comics pics of Kendra.

• Love 1
(edited)

my hope is that she will be wearing a version of the classic Hawkgirl helmet (similar to the one from the JL cartoon), and not the silver, more-conventional helmet I've seen in comics pics of Kendra.

Me too. Apparently they are still working the costume. And the CGI flying Hawkgirl from the trailer seem intentionally hard to see clearly. But the character will apparently be in the Flash finale.

Despite the trailer that shows a CGI Hawkgirl soaring above the city, Renee hasn't gotten to actually put on the wings of Hawkgirl just yet.

Rumor has it we'll see you Tuesday night on the season finale of The Flash. What was it like getting to tease the character a little bit before some of the other cast?

CR: Right! It was super cool. It was kind of a last minute thing. I signed on for the show, and they said, "Let's try this!" and I just said, "Absolutely!" I'm excited to see it and how that turned out.

Did you get to put on the wings?

CR: No, we don't have that costume yet, sadly. We're still waiting for that, so not yet.

Are you hoping for the full beaked mask and all?

CR: I love her costume! I think it's hot, man! I'll take any part of it, wings and beak and everything.

From:   http://comicbook.com/2015/05/14/legends-of-tomorrow-ciarra-renee-hasnt-tried-on-hawkgirls-wings-/

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 4
(edited)

I suspect I am pre-disposed to like Hawkgirl.  Despite me trying to move her toward Wonder Woman, Hawkgirl is my daughter's favorite JL character and I have to admit, I rather like her myself.  I realize this isn't the same Hawkgirl, but if they live up her being a badass warrior on any level, I will find it hard to dislike her.

ETA: And how cool is it going to be to have a character with past lives on a show with time travel and an immortal villain that one of her past lives has probably fought before?

Edited by nksarmi
  • Love 4
(edited)

My knowledge of the character (like pretty much everything DC except Batman and Superman) comes entirely from the DCAU, and I'm guessing this version is going to be very different (at the very least, she won't be selling out the planet to other hawk people any time soon). Though I'm definitely looking forward to getting an actual introduction for her, since it always bugged the crap out of me that Wonder Woman and Martian Manhunter got proper origin stories on Justice League, while everyone acted like Hawkgirl had just been around the whole time. Also hoping her mace is included.

Edited by Eegah

The playground mods have discussed it and we've decided that it's best to err on the side of caution when it comes to new characters like Hawkgirl.  Any speculation on what attributes/storylines the show will take from the comics should stay in the Legends: Comics Vs Show thread. Speculation about the character in general, minus information about her comic counterpart, may stay here.

If anyone has questions, feel free to PM myself or MarkHB.

Thanks and enjoy!

So she appeared as a bystander watching the Blackhole form over Central City on the Flash last night. (In plain clothes) Does that mean she is from Central City and got her wings from the partial accelerator accident?

At the very least we know she will get any further pre show development on Flash rather than Arrow (though I think winged woman made that obvious from the start)

• Love 1

From the trailer she catches someone and I thought it was ATOM/Brandon and I so want to hear her say "Don't worry, I got you" and then have him say some variation of the line "But who has you?" because she shouldn't be able to lift his weight.  They can explain that it's the wings or he can quickly shrink down to make the work easier on her - whatever.

But now if Barry/Flash goes falling from the sky after he fixes that wormhole thing at the start of season two - I will settle for the exchange happening between her and him.  Because I totally want her to fly up and catch him.

• Love 2

I would love to see her swoop up and catch Barry at the start of S2 (after he saves the world from the Black Hole of Missing His Mommy).  (Also, in the comics, the Atom shrinks by increasing his molecular density, so he retains the same mass; shrinking doesn't make him lighter. I would guess that TV Ray will do the same thing.)

• Love 3
(edited)

tumblr_norlccxKb31r18q3yo1_400.gif

source

I was very surprised to see her in Central City, but once I got over my shock, I screamed with joy. I wonder is she has always been a resident. And what job she does. If she is aware of her heritage, so many questions. 

From the trailer she catches someone and I thought it was ATOM/Brandon and I so want to hear her say "Don't worry, I got you" and then have him say some variation of the line "But who has you?" because she shouldn't be able to lift his weight.  They can explain that it's the wings or he can quickly shrink down to make the work easier on her - whatever.

Interesting, are you already shipping them together or something?, *wink*

Edited by Conell
(edited)

Conell - I don't know if I am a "shipper" type viewer lol. I don't watch a ton of TV and I rarely catch a show early enough in its run to like a pairing before the writers have already decided who they are going to pair up.  But I have had opinions about pairings I'd like to see over the years in a wide-range of stories (for example, even though I'm not a huge comic book reader - I like the idea of Batman and Wonder Woman WAY more than Superman and Wonder Woman).  So yea, this might be a unique experience for me.

Mostly, I want to see Hawkgirl and Sara become really good friends.  I strongly suspect that I'm going to like seeing Sara and Ray play off each other (the tiny clip in the preview told me that), but I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of personality Hawkgirl has and how her chemistry works with the others.  Since they are writing her with "past life issues" - I'm kind of hoping that as they travel in time, we see different personalities emerge because I think that could be tons of fun. 

I do suspect that Hawkgirl will be shipped with Sara, Ray, Cold, or Rip. 

But more than anything, I just really want to see Brandon exchange the classic Superman/Louis Lane exchange with Hawkgirl.  That would make my nerdy inner child so happy - I can't even explain why.

Edited by nksarmi
  • Love 2
(edited)

I am interested in seeing how the past lives complex plays out. This team sounds like they have their hands full, Sara may or may not be a little crazy, Kendra can become her different ancestors and Captain Cold and Heatwave are untrustworthy criminals. That leaves goofy Ray, Professor Stein and Rip to keep them together. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2

I seriously doubt that. The show has only two major female characters - if there wikl be a triangle, it will feature two guys and a girl, imho.

Personally, I hope to see only mild ship tease, no real romances, 13 episodes run doesn't need any forced romantic filler.

• Love 2

I wonder if Hawkgirl has a Hawkman; someone she's been together with in many of her past lives, but hasn't met yet in this one. It would be an interesting angle to the reincarnation story. She knows there's someone out there that she's destined to love. Will she meet him? What if she falls in love with someone else before she does? Will she make the most of this life, or will she always struggle to recapture her past?

• Love 4

I wonder if Hawkgirl has a Hawkman; someone she's been together with in many of her past lives, but hasn't met yet in this one. It would be an interesting angle to the reincarnation story. She knows there's someone out there that she's destined to love. Will she meet him? What if she falls in love with someone else before she does? Will she make the most of this life, or will she always struggle to recapture her past?

I think the premise actually kind of REQUIRES it.  I'm not sure the character even makes sense without it.

On a show like this I'd play that as some kind of arc-story they allude to at first and gradually get into later on.

I do suspect that Hawkgirl will be shipped with Sara, Ray, Cold, or Rip.

What about the other guy that hadn't been cast at the time of the teaser?  I've already forgot the details about him other than people were speculating he might have turned out to be Black lightning or Vibe (sadly I don't remember what he turned out to be) 

I wouldn't be surprised if RIp ended up as a loser in a triangle just because he isn't from this time though if they play up the destined or reincarnated thing, technically Kendra could have both her current destiny in this era AND the random appearance of him either in the past or in the future and maybe even be Rip.

(So fun to do extreme wild spec based on pretty much zero info.)

• Love 1

I guess it's also possible for the new guy to be a new half of Firestorm, too. I mean, maybe they'll transfer it, temporarily or permanently, because there's no Ronnie on LOT. Anyway, he can't be Vibe, Cisco is Vibe.

Wild spec can be funny, yeah, but I'm eagerly waiting for some real scraps of info because we really don't have much to go on with at this point.

I guess it's also possible for the new guy to be a new half of Firestorm, too. I mean, maybe they'll transfer it, temporarily or permanently, because there's no Ronnie on LOT. Anyway, he can't be Vibe, Cisco is Vibe.

Wild spec can be funny, yeah, but I'm eagerly waiting for some real scraps of info because we really don't have much to go on with at this point.

I haven't seen the info on him for a bit and forget, but didn't this new guy sound

a ton like the comic book character Jason Rusch, except with a different name?

I'm curious what version of Kendra this show is doing. The treasure hunter version would be fun. This was her description which doesn't say much. 

“FEMALE WARRIOR” | This twentysomething Latina is pretty but unassuming, book smart and socially awkward by day. But by night, when she hears the cry of battle, her fury is ignited and she becomes a fierce warrior — so much so, that sometimes she can become a threat to others.

Same with the still a mystery hero.

a former high school football star who lost out on a chance to go pro after an injury. Now an auto mechanic, Jay finds a surprising affiliation to the S.T.A.R. Labs crew.

The surprising affiliation to the Star Labs crew is what makes me think he's going to be the new half of Firestorm. Because I don't think they'd make him Wally West when they have the Flash. 

• Love 1

According to Matt Mitovich:

Ciara Renee said that the origin of her winged hero, Kendra Saunders, will be “melding some [Hawkgirl origin stories] together”

We really should have a separate thread for "Jay Jackson", whoever he ends up being. :)

I guess they could have recast him. I mean, they recast Sara on Arrow and she was more important than that guy.

Well the characters have different names, but I'm saying the role and circumstances maybe are simply being imprinted on another character (and it's interesting that the two actors are both light-skinned black/mixed-race).  I mean the version of Jason they used on The Flash was just another extension of the overused STAR Labs stuff (as was The Flash's version of Ronnie).  Whereas the new character description sounds like a kind of throwback to the origins of both the original comic book Ronnie Raymond and Jason Rusch characters, albeit aged up a bit.

We really should have a separate thread for "Jay Jackson", whoever he ends up being. :)

Yeah, and maybe get a mod to move this stuff there.

(edited)

According to this, CW is already planning a new series based on this character:

Hawkgirl - TV Series in Development at The CW

SpoilerTV has learned that The CW is planning a separate Hawkgirl TV series starring Ciara Renée. The project is currently in very early stages of development. If The CW decides to move forward with it, it will most likely bypass the pilot stage and get a straight to series order.

It is unclear if the series will be set before or after the events of The CW's upcoming TV series Legends of Tomorrow, which also stars Ciara Renée.

Source

Edited by strikera0

No idea. They usually just repost the other site's news, but I don't see the source for this info. I'm skeptical TBH, mostly because it's still unclear 100% if The CW will exist after the next year (because of their deal with affiliates of whatever), on the other hand, I've seen a relatively big amount of promotion for the actress lately, so maybe they do like her a lot.

Anyway, I'd be thrilled to see a show about a female superhero, especially considering all the misogyny on The Flash and Arrow, but I'd honestly prefer a non-super female hero in any genre show. I was never a big fan of comics in the first place and I think there are enough of Berlanti-produced superhero on TV right now.

I've been hearing about a third spinoff since April, so I think this is probably accurate.

With that said, "in development" doesn't always translate to "will definitely appear on a television screen near you" so I think some skepticism is also justified.

I'd be happy too. Marvel has really dropped the ball when it comes to female superheroes up to this point, and as a DC girl at heart, I'd love to see them take this opportunity to get out in front. However, what would this mean for LoT? The show hasn't even aired yet, and they're already changing up the cast?

However, what would this mean for LoT? The show hasn't even aired yet, and they're already changing up the cast?

I have to admit, that's my first thought. LoT only has two female characters to begin with, and they're already talking about pulling one of them out? Who would they replace her with?

I mean, ok, yay to more female-led comic book shows, but.....LoT hasn't even aired one season yet. :(

• Love 1
(edited)

They will move Hawkgirl so they have room for a love interest for Ray, Rip, and Jay and probably Captain Cold? Though they may hook Sara with one.

Edited by tarotx
(edited)

They are already thinking about pulling one of the characters? Someone at the CW needs to slow their roll. Let's see how she does first before giving Hawkgirl her own show.

Is that happens, since they have time travel. Let them go get Lady Blackhawk from the 1940's to replace Hawkgirl. She's never been in live action.

Edited by Sakura12

Hey guys, don't forget we want to keep this thread focused on what we already know about Hawkgirl, and what we know comes from the already released trailer and her cameo from the Flash finale.  Discussion surrounding additional spinoffs, confirmed or not, should be here, in the Anticipation and Speculation thread. 

Thanks!

Interview with Ciara Renee

As a character, what hooked you about Kendra?

I mean, she's a superhero, so that was pretty cool! I was already sold there.

But I think going into this whole reincarnation idea, like having all of these past lives and these past people kind of inside her, as part of who she is and who she's going to be is a really cool acting challenge to keep in mind. If we go back in time and we see Kendra at a different point in her life, like as a different human, that's going to be really cool. I get to play all these characters. I'll never get bored.

• Love 1

My knowledge of the character (like pretty much everything DC except Batman and Superman) comes entirely from the DCAU, and I'm guessing this version is going to be very different (at the very least, she won't be selling out the planet to other hawk people any time soon). Though I'm definitely looking forward to getting an actual introduction for her, since it always bugged the crap out of me that Wonder Woman and Martian Manhunter got proper origin stories on Justice League, while everyone acted like Hawkgirl had just been around the whole time. Also hoping her mace is included.

If you're talking about the DCAU, there's a snippet in an early episode where she's relating how she came to earth, and it's in a manner (teleportation experiment gone wrong) that is similar to J'onn J'onnz's original comic book origin. That must be a lie though, because of the later invasion storyline.

I'm just happy that we finally have a woman superhero with powers in the Arrowverse.

I'd have been thrilled, except they brought in a Hawkman too. And honestly, he sucks. It's hard enough for Hawkgirl to get out from Hawkman's shadow when the writers are trying to write them as equal partners. CW writers are not even trying. He has to train her, coach her through her self doubt, "make the plans". blah, blah ugh. They learned nothing about why DCAU Hawkgirl was so cool.

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 1

I'd have been thrilled, except they brought in a Hawkman too. And honestly, he sucks. It's hard enough for Hawkgirl to get out from Hawkman's shadow when the writers are trying to write them as equal partners. CW writers are not even trying. He has to train her, coach her through her self doubt, "make the plans". blah, blah ugh. They learned nothing about why DCAU Hawkgirl was so cool.

Well, sorta? Hawkman sucked at training her - in the first timeline, they all died because he didn't teach her how to control her wings. In the second timeline, she, not Hawkman, was able to remember sleeping on nice Walmart bedding in ancient Egypt plus evil meteors, which gave Team Arrow and Team Flash the clue that they needed to use evil meteor stuff to take down Vandal Savage, to the detriment of the local museum.  And Hawkman's casual pushing her off a highrise didn't teach her anything either - she had to take her own jump.

I admit I wasn't impressed with Hawkman because he came off as a jerk, but I still have hopes for Hawkgirl.

• Love 4

It's definitely worse.  He remembers everything -- she remembers nothing.  And the "acting" -- when she said he was dead, I couldn't tell the difference.  Hopefully, they'll keep the next HM off long enough for her to come into her own, because what you people are describing is a hella lot more fun than what we're getting.

• Love 1