Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Speculation: Benchmarking

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, CED9 said:

In the random out of order filming news, Jesse and Sarah are apparently filming for 13.16 right now. 

the filming is so weird this year!  I think we can no longer excuse poor writing and abandoned storylines on the cast's and their personal changes (for example Jo/Alex being pushed aside for PD's exit, etc) considering they already have the season mapped out to at least 16.  

• Love 1

I was talking to a friend and she came up with the possibility that they're doing a lot of character centric episodes and that's why the crazy out of order filming.

It's as good a guess as any, I think.

It usually has a lot to do with either working around pregnancies or other work obligations - certain actors may have been granted time off to work on other things for a short time, so their scenes are being filmed early, and @CED9's suggestion of a few character-centric episodes could be accurate too. 

6 hours ago, BaseOps said:

As Alex’s trial nears, how will that start to divide the hospital on Grey’s Anatomy? — Lucy
If a divide does start to happen, Alex will have at least two of the sisters on his side. “Clearly Amelia is starting to feel really safe with Alex in a way that’s unexpected,” Caterina Scorsone says. “I don’t think she knew she was going to talk to him about her core trauma, and suddenly and unexpectedly he was this safe place for her to say something that she had not been able to say to anyone, including Derek. Now she’s seeing him as this potential safe place. I don’t know how the hospital will be divided, but I imagine Amelia has some pretty affectionate feelings toward Alex right now that he was able to witness her in her darkest moments and in this unique way.”

It's amusing to me that a big reason why she's apparently so open with Alex is also why he and Meredith became friends, yet Meredith and Amelia have such a hostile relationship.

Not sure what decisions Alex will be making, but I have a feeling it may concern Mer's kids and their future.  Maybe he will leave his hospital shares to them, even though they are already richer than God and his biological family could sorely use the money.  I would love it if they get mentioned at all, but I doubt they will.  Or if it somehow involves paying off DeLuca's medical bills or paying off the loft mortgage.  Maybe it won't involve money at all.  I also hope that this doesn't mean that the trial won't begin until after the hiatus.

IMG_1468.JPG

I'm glad that Shonda has seemingly followed through on her promise and has given a good deal of focus to the four original cast members during the first several episodes this year; Alex has had twice as much to do as he did in the past season or so, and it's great to see him as the lead male. Richard seems to have prominence in episode 7, 8 and 9, and it's been nice to see interactions between Richard / Alex and Bailey / Alex. 

• Love 3

I don't know what decision Alex could be making without know about the outcome of the trial. Maybe its something like he no longer wants to be a surgeon.

Jerrika made is sound like the trial is part of the mid-season finale:

“Grey’s Anatomy” stars Jerrika Hinton and Giacomo Gianniotti have divulged that things are about to reach “fever pitch” as the show nears its midseason finale. The venerable ABC drama is still reeling from the fallout of Alex’s (Justin Chambers) brutal attack on Andrew (Gianniotti) — and as the characters prepare for a court trial, things are set to reach a dramatic high.

“Oh, the trial … wow!” Hinton teases during an interview with Screener. “We just had the table read for the midseason finale the other day, and that reaches a fever pitch.”

“This attack could stay with him for awhile,” adds Giannoitti. “It’s tough.”

Source: http://calzona-ga.tumblr.com/post/152439486330/greys-anatomy-stars-tease-fever-pitch

Edited by windsprints
1 hour ago, Deanie87 said:

Not sure what decisions Alex will be making, but I have a feeling it may concern Mer's kids and their future.  Maybe he will leave his hospital shares to them, even though they are already richer than God and his biological family could sorely use the money.  I would love it if they get mentioned at all, but I doubt they will.  Or if it somehow involves paying off DeLuca's medical bills or paying off the loft mortgage.  Maybe it won't involve money at all.  I also hope that this doesn't mean that the trial won't begin until after the hiatus.

He could contact his real family.  He's given the impression in the past that they still depend on him for more than just money.

Edited by Starscream
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, BaseOps said:

Alex has had twice as much to do as he did in the past season or so, and it's great to see him as the lead male

At the risk of sounding like a whiny Alex fan (I know, too late!), its kind of a "Be Careful What You Wish" situation for me.  He screentime has been great and I have enjoyed most of his storyline thus far (though would love for it to go a bit deeper), him being a leading man to nearly every single female on the show other than his years long girlfriend, isn't really what I had hoped for.  I'm hoping that will change by the end of the season.

He could contact his real family.  He's given the impression in the past that they still depend on him for more than just money.

I kind of think that, like Jo and Alex as a couple, its like they never existed.  I would love to hear him refer to them every once in awhile, but I understand him wanting to keep his distance from people who will only drag him down, as mean as that may seem.

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 2

I don't actually think that the writers or Shonda hate anyone, but I do think that they have their favorites and Jo has never been one of them,

Agreed. There's a very obvious effort going into the development of certain characters that just isn't there for Jo.

Stephanie while she isn't the best example can at least shine through being the best resident and gets every teaching opportunity possible given to her unless it's given to Perfect Penny instead. Unless it's been to show how ignored she is by her teachers or have her case poached Jo gets nothing.

Maggie is a character who was shoved down viewers throats in order to her have been seen as a fitting member of the cool core clique. She had an episode entirely from her point of view with a voiceover, a backstory we all know about and for much of her first season it was a requirement of Alex or someone else to mention how cool, awesome she was. There was huge effort made with her. The writers wanted her to be a central character and tried different approaches to make her likeable.

Amelia in my opinion has been met with hostility. Despite this she has been put to the forefront of the show in so many instances and when that didn't work the writers dialled it back and tried a quieter approach in winning the audience over.

Even April, who I think has annoyed so many viewers at one point or another has had some great effort put into making her more relatable through her storylines in the last few years.

Jo does not get any of this. She has a potentially interesting backstory the writers ignore, a non existent career that gets ignored, a relationship that spanned 4 seasons which is now ignored. There is just an obvious disconnect between how she's written and how other characters are written. 

Did the writers change between season 9/10 others because back then she got screentime, got on well with her superiors and was shown as a promising and competent surgeon. Season 11 came and she ceased to exist as a character on her own right.

• Love 1
On 26.10.2016 at 4:34 AM, windsprints said:

I don't think its a flashback with the kids. Bailey is too old. He was in a stroller when Derek died, here's a promo pic from the episode.

1121pic.jpg

So does Meredith go to this hospital again wearing the same shirt do perform surgery in the room where Derek died? I'm sorry but come on (not you, the show).

I think after 13x08, Meredith will take a step towards Nathan and be able to get into him. ;-)

Did the writers change between season 9/10 others because back then she got screentime, got on well with her superiors and was shown as a promising and competent surgeon. Season 11 came and she ceased to exist as a character on her own right

Yes.  Tony Phelan and Joan Rater were the co-showrunners/executive producers during seasons 9&10. They exited Grey's at the end of season 10 and signed an overall deal with CBS (they just resigned). They're next show on CBS is Doubt with Katherine Heigl as one of the cast.

I am slowly losing interest in the show. 

None of the storylines have impressed me so far this season.

The boy´s death last episode was really sad, but other than that the pace is rather slow, Leah is back which I honestly do not care about at all, the triangle of doom, Omelia the same story again and again, Alex is  portrayed as a saint although he has nearly beaten a man to death, Jo is totally ignored. Please can someone  fire Catherine Avery?

Nothing has really happened, each episode storylines are just rewashed, the plot does not move. 

Edited by Nobodysfan
  • Love 1

From the s13ep7 thread:

Catherine Avery plays a wrong game. I think she will not be able to fire Meredith so easily since she's half of the hospital and she's the daughter of Ellis Gray and Webber will not allow Meredith to be fired. And because Meredith is mother of 3 children. And April, Catherine will not fire as she is the mother of her granddaughter and especially because then Jackson will not allow it and will not speak a word with his mother !! So Meredith and April are times out in my opinion!

I also don't see how any doctor can be fired for something that happened years ago.  I an see a case for Ben, only because that was recent.  April's case didn't even warrant her being fired when it happened.  Meredith--yes, she could have been fired for what she did, but that was about 5 years ago.  And, as I said in another post, Alex's offense had nothing to do with the hospital or his job.

If this story line is going be remotely believable, the only doctors in jeopardy would be Ben or Webber (the latter because of his record of forgiving offenses.)

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

From the s13ep7 thread:

I also don't see how any doctor can be fired for something that happened years ago.  I an see a case for Ben, only because that was recent.  April's case didn't even warrant her being fired when it happened.  Meredith--yes, she could have been fired for what she did, but that was about 5 years ago.  And, as I said in another post, Alex's offense had nothing to do with the hospital or his job.

If this story line is going be remotely believable, the only doctors in jeopardy would be Ben or Webber (the latter because of his record of forgiving offenses.)

Yes, but Catherine would not let Webber fire? She would accept that her marriage would go to ruin.

1 minute ago, Maukie99 said:

Yes, but Catherine would not let Webber fire? She would accept that her marriage would go to ruin.

It could be an interesting situation if Ben AND Webber are brought up and Catherine urges Bailey to fire Ben, but then won't fire Webber because he's her husband.

From EWs PopFest: 

Lastly, the cast shared three words to describe what’s going on with their characters for upcoming episodes.
McCreary: “Transition of power.”
Capshaw: “Flirty. Fun. Incarceration.”
Gianniotti: “Trial. Trial. Trial.”
Hinton: “I’m going to associate myself with ‘transition of power.’”

Lots more here

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

It could be an interesting situation if Ben AND Webber are brought up and Catherine urges Bailey to fire Ben, but then won't fire Webber because he's her husband.

This could be quite dramatic. Bailey could also end her marriage with perhaps Ben. Catherine is quite selfish.

3 minutes ago, BaseOps said:

From EWs PopFest: 

Lastly, the cast shared three words to describe what’s going on with their characters for upcoming episodes.
McCreary: “Transition of power.”
Capshaw: “Flirty. Fun. Incarceration.”
Gianniotti: “Trial. Trial. Trial.”
Hinton: “I’m going to associate myself with ‘transition of power.’”

Lots more here

And what does this tell us about the character? Artizona and DeLuca light up what it could be, but not with Stephanie and Maggie?

12 minutes ago, BaseOps said:

I'll say I'm most intrigued by 'Transition of power' and 'incarceration'. 

Maybe Arizona's new love interest is some how connected to Alex's trial.  I assume Stephanie's refers to Chief Resident, although JH gave an interview seasons ago about Stephanie having already won it.

1 hour ago, Deanie87 said:

Maybe Arizona's new love interest is some how connected to Alex's trial. 

Or she's into BDSM.  Maybe Shonda wants to turn it into Fifty Shades of Grey's Anatomy.

Edited by Starscream
  • Love 2

I think the consultant arrives then recommends someone else over take either Bailey's job or Richard's job. Maybe Maggie is put in charge of formulating a teaching plan for the residents, taking over what Richard has been doing. They wouldn't need to fire Richard. He'd still be an attending.

I doubt anyone will be fired. Catherine was reviewing the files to see what mistakes had been made more to look at the cause of the mistakes & she determined the teaching was the issue. 

Edited by windsprints

Does anyone keep  a track of which episode they are filming??? Is it winter finale 1309?

I have lost it actually, I hear sometime it is 13 then 16, or which episode is it now??? 

I think this has never happened before. They always shot according to the order of episodes.

So the new consultant played by S. Foleys wife is Arizona´s new love interest possibly?

And this Bridget Regan when is she supposed to apppear?? In 1307?? As a doctor?

I find it odd,odd, odd they do not have a head of Ortho after Callie left. What a weird hospital.

Edited by Nobodysfan

I wonder if "incarceration" has anything to do with whatever Arizona and Jo get up to in 13. I've noticed when Jessica is giving "spoilery" interviews she usually ends up talking about what she just recently filmed more so than what happens in about to air episodes (though that could apply to fun and flirty).

17 minutes ago, Joana said:

Maybe Leah turns out to be a crazy stalker and has Arizona locked up in her basement. 

Maybe Jo's ex returns, shoots up SGM and kidnaps Jo ala ER 21 Guns. Wouldn't be he first time they borrowed from ER :)  

I'm just kidding. I think she's talking about Alex possibly going to jail. I could even see them finding him guilty then something happening prior to sentencing to get him off at the last second.

18 minutes ago, windsprints said:

Maybe Jo's ex returns, shoots up SGM and kidnaps Jo ala ER 21 Guns. Wouldn't be he first time they borrowed from ER :)  

I'm just kidding. I think she's talking about Alex possibly going to jail. I could even see them finding him guilty then something happening prior to sentencing to get him off at the last second.

Maybe the mystery person in the passenger seat of Arizona's car is Jo's crazy ex.

The question was specific to their character, not the show in general, @windsprints, so I think this is something different.

Since she's going to be around for more episodes than I thought I'm starting to think the consultant will end up going out with Arizona. 

3 hours ago, windsprints said:

I'm really curious what they are going to do with Alex. I kind of think they have to find him guilty, but they can't really put him in prison and have him lose his medical license.

Slightly extended press release for 13x09.

“You Haven’t Done Nothin’” – Believing he is going to jail tomorrow, Alex makes a big decision about his future. While the hospital is overrun with victims of a building collapse, Richard demands answers from Bailey about Eliza’s presence at Grey Sloan, on the winter finale of “Grey’s Anatomy,” THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 17 (8:00-9:00 p.m. EST), on the ABC Television Network.

So this must be the day before the trial or the day of. I really love that instead of seeing Maggie, Deluca and Amelia in every single PR this year, we've seen Alex in nearly every single one, and Alex / Bailey / Richard all getting storylines is great. 

Edited by BaseOps

In one of the videos on the EW article, Giacomo basically confirms that DeLuca does indeed have feelings for Jo. Also, when asked for one word to describe the mid-season finale, they give us - "Rubble", "Truth ("Some long-gesitating truths come out"), "Justice", and "Complicated". 

Totally separately from that, I wonder if they'll kill any (major) characters this year. It's been quite a while by Grey's standards: 

Season 2 - Denny

Season 3 - Ellis (plus Susan & Mr. O'Malley)

Season 4 - N/A

Season 5 - George

Season 6 - Reed, Charles

Season 7 - N/A

Season 8 - Henry, Lexie  

Season 9 - Mark, Adele 

Season 10 - Heather 

Season 11 - Derek 

Season 12 - N/A

We may also be due for a big disaster episode: 

S2 - Bomb, S3 - Ferry Boat, S6 - Shooter, S8 - Plane Crash, S9 - The Storm. 

The last 2 years have had big episodes (Derek's death, Meredith's attack) but no huge catastrophes that affect a large group. 

I'm so disappointed, and disgusted really, by them going there. I really think the writers must have something against Jo as a character because if something happens with deluca it's not only completely OOC, it will be character suicide. I mean what are they trying to do with her?! She's got this incredibly important back story touching on huge social issues, yet they completely ignore that to throw her into a love triangle where she won't even have proper perspective?? I'm so, so disappointed and bitter at what the writers have done to her character. If they had done her justice, she would have been by herself, with a career focus this season, and when they got around to telling her story the focus would be on HER, not bait for a mid season finale, and a tool for other characters' drama. The reveal won't even be central to her, it will be seen through Alex's eyes and the focus Will be how it effects HIM. God I just have no interest in that, I wanted to see this storyline for BOTH of them, and the subsequent journey they would have to work through it and make it back to each other. That would've been compelling to me. Now it's just cheap, nonsense soap opera bull, and they've  ruined my favourite relationship in the space of 4 episodes. 

It's possible that DeLuca's feelings aren't reciprocated.  The absolute last thing that Jo needs is to get entangled in another relationship.  I'm hoping that they aren't going there and it's more just a one-sided thing.

• Love 5

I hope so too..I just have no faith anymore. It absolutely would be the last thing she needs and I think thats pretty damn obvious!!! Let's hope they do the right thing and keep her single. Camilla also deserves better than to be the most hated character, especially when she started off quite popular, and it could have been avoided had they not thrown her to the wolves with Meredith, and actually written her properly. 

I think the writers just decided to suddenly finish Jolex and they're trying to do it quickly and as effectively as possible. Sticking Jo with DeLuca takes away the one thing even haters of the pair couldn't deny - that she was a loyal girlfriend who loved and supported Alex. 

Why they can't give her any sort of perspective of her own I'll never understand. It's just embarrassing at this point that they made such a hullabaloo about touching on a domestic violence subject but instesd have made it about how the men in the abused woman's life are affected by everything. 

Alos I think it's becoming more and more obvious that Riggs is a decoy for  the eventual Merlex Union and Shonda and Co are very smug that nobody will catch on.

• Love 2

Giacomo basically confirms that DeLuca does indeed have feelings for Jo. Also, when asked for one word to describe the mid-season finale, they give us - "Rubble", "Truth ("Some long-gesitating truths come out"), "Justice", and "Complicated".

No surprise given how DeLuca looked on at Jo & Alex talking in the last episode. IMO it was pretty obvious he has some feelings for her. Perhaps those feelings get him to not testify against Alex (not wanting to bring Jo's past up or something). That would basically ruin the state's case and allow Alex to either walk completely or plea to a lesser charge.  If anything does happen between Alex/Jo I think it would be nothing more than a one nighter; a mistake like Meredith/George.  

I have no idea if the writers hate Jo but for discussion sake let's say they do. If they pair her with DeLuca to free Alex that does nothing to help DeLuca at all.  Pairing him with a writer-hated character basically would equal minimum story/screen time and no relationship development. If they hate Jo and want to write her out they could easily just have she and Alex stay broken up and have her leave at the end of residency.  Or now, since Leah just showed up mid-residency year apparently you can go anywhere at any time.

"Some long-gesitating truths come out" has to be Jo being married. Can anyone think of anything else it could possibly be? 

The last 2 years have had big episodes (Derek's death, Meredith's attack) but no huge catastrophes that affect a large group.

Volcano eruption still hasn't happened, lol.  Or Leah is back to get revenge on Arizona and blows up SGM ala Kimberly on Melrose Place (obviously I'm joking). I'm not really sure what catastrophes are left.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, windsprints said:

No surprise given how DeLuca looked on at Jo & Alex talking in the last episode. IMO it was pretty obvious he has some feelings for her. Perhaps those feelings get him to not testify against Alex (not wanting to bring Jo's past up or something). That would basically ruin the state's case and allow Alex to either walk completely or plea to a lesser charge.  If anything does happen between Alex/Jo I think it would be nothing more than a one nighter; a mistake like Meredith/George.  

I have no idea if the writers hate Jo but for discussion sake let's say they do. If they pair her with DeLuca to free Alex that does nothing to help DeLuca at all.  Pairing him with a writer-hated character basically would equal minimum story/screen time and no relationship development. If they hate Jo and want to write her out they could easily just have she and Alex stay broken up and have her leave at the end of residency.  Or now, since Leah just showed up mid-residency year apparently you can go anywhere at any time.

"Some long-gesitating truths come out" has to be Jo being married. Can anyone think of anything else it could possibly be? 

Volcano eruption still hasn't happened, lol.  Or Leah is back to get revenge on Arizona and blows up SGM ala Kimberly on Melrose Place (obviously I'm joking). I'm not really sure what catastrophes are left.

The only other truth I could think of is Maggie finding out about Meredith and Riggs. Maybe Amelia tells Owen about her first child. Hopefully all 3!

I wouldn't count out any disaster on Grey's these days lol. I remember back in the day there was talk about Leah going psycho, so I wouldn't be surprised. The only thing I can think of that hasn't been done is characters being caught in a burning building, which is a huge soap opera trope. 

Edited by BaseOps

There are problems left and right. I mean if they are going to go with DeLuca suddenly caring about Jo and everything about her "evil husband" is either dropped or has to be his problem. Then DeLuca has become a punching bag, first Alex for thinking Joe slept with him and then evil husband showing up and kicking DeLuca's ass because they are together. It then paints not only Jo as a moron, but also the fact she has by hiding her past lead one doctor to lose his mind, Catherine to think she can run the hospital better and Bailey and the Non-HR department to look like complete idiots who could have avoided this all at the same time. Leah's return, I mean if she ends up trying to ruin Arizona as payback then things have been made even worse by Catherine trying to over step her position and Bailey looking like a worst chief than Richard, Derek and Owen combine. 

• Love 1

I need all secrets to be spilled, like, yesterday.  Psycho husbands, secret car banging, dead, brainless babies....ENOUGH!  Everyone in every scenario looks stupid and immature at this point (that may be a bit too harsh when it comes to Amelia), and their secrets, however necessary or well intentioned, are making everything worse.  So hopefully, the finale will just be people sitting around vomiting out all of their deepest, darkest, dumbest secrets and we can deal with the fall out finally.  And by finally, I mean 2-3 months later.  Blergh.

• Love 4

Why do I have a feeling that rather than just having a conversation, episode 9 will have Meredith & Riggs finally kissing again - only for Maggie to be in the right place at the right time and see it happen. 

• Love 3

Jo lied about her ex but IMO Jo cannot be faulted for everything wrong.  Alex beating DeLuca is on Alex. He's exhibited this type of behavior before he even met Jo.  Catherine looking into the files to try to see what went wrong isn't on Jo either. Its on the entire management of the hospital for the past 10 years who allowed everything they did. Whatever Leah chooses to do is on Leah, not Jo. But hey, let blame her for global warming and world hunger too because why not.

Why do I have a feeling that rather than just having a conversation, episode 9 will have Meredith & Riggs finally kissing again - only for Maggie to be in the right place at the right time and see it happen.

I hope so then this triangle can end.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, BaseOps said:

yes, this is exactly what I think is going to happen.  To be honest I thought it would have happened already but I guess it will be the mid-season finale "shocker".

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, BaseOps said:

A cheap soap trope, so of course it will happen. 

Also, Amelia's baby isn't a secret to Owen. Maybe he didn't get all the details like she spilled to Alex, but Amelia did tell him when they were in the chapel lighting a candle for baby Samuel. Naturally, the show will retcon this to make it some big reveal, but you would think that by this point Owen would have put two and two together. I really don't like how the show has resulted to dumbing the characters down to service the plot and drag these "secrets" out much longer than necessary. (see: Owen/Riggs rift, the dumbest love triangle ever, etc etc etc) 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 3

I wonder what took them so long to reveal Amelia's past. Did they think that people who also watched PP were fed up with her drama, so they decided to tone it down for a while? IMO it was a mistake and the vulnerable Amelia is much more relatable and sympathetic than the insufferable Superhero Amelia that first showed up a couple of seasons ago.

• Love 2

I don't blame Jo for what Alex did, that lands entirely on him, but I certainly don't feel any sympathy for her. Wasn't it just last season that she made a huge deal about Alex not telling her about Izzie's eggs? Meanwhile she's married and leading him on to think that she wants to get married. I get why she'd have kept it a secret from him at first, but they've been in a relationship for years; did she think it was never going to come up or come out? She really did him wrong by lying all this time and then telling someone as random as DeLuca. 

1 hour ago, funnygirl said:

A cheap soap trope, so of course it will happen. 

Also, Amelia's baby isn't a secret to Owen. Maybe he didn't get all the details like she spilled to Alex, but Amelia did tell him when they were in the chapel lighting a candle for baby Samuel. Naturally, the show will retcon this to make it some big reveal, but you would think that by this point Owen would have put two and two together. I really don't like how the show has resulted to dumbing the characters down to service the plot and drag these "secrets" out much longer than necessary. (see: Owen/Riggs rift, the dumbest love triangle ever, etc etc etc) 

What exactly did she tell him? I wonder if the writers (and actors?) have totally forgotten about this. I don't pay much attention to their relationship so I don't recall quite when that was. Was it the episode when Samuel died? 

Edited by BaseOps
59 minutes ago, Joana said:

I wonder what took them so long to reveal Amelia's past. Did they think that people who also watched PP were fed up with her drama, so they decided to tone it down for a while? IMO it was a mistake and the vulnerable Amelia is much more relatable and sympathetic than the insufferable Superhero Amelia that first showed up a couple of seasons ago.

This is the same show that wasted an episode on a custody battle only for the winner to rip up the agreement and hang out in New York with her ex/ex's new girlfriend/daughter and talk about how wonderful it all was. Still forgetting she had a miscarriage.

BaseOps, it was the episode Samuel died, because I remember Amelia walking around that episode telling everyone how to treat Japril. While, again, conveniently forgetting April's bestie had a miscarriage.

Edited by CED9
  • Love 2