Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Speculation: Benchmarking

• Start Topic

That's so weird I was speculating that only a few months ago. I wonder if she's leaving and that's why they haven't bothered giving her any storyline or following up on the ex husband? If they were in anyway invested they would have given her a bit more attention this half of the season.

Huge congrats to her though. She's such a wonderful person and it's lovely to see her personal life go better then Jo's ;)

26 minutes ago, windsprints said:

Camilla announced that she is pregnant. She's due in the spring.  I know its not technically a spoiler but posting here for possible story discussion.

One thing I've always appreciated about Grey's Anatomy is that they can handle actresses being pregnant without their characters being pregnant.  Has there ever been an instance on the show when a real-life pregnancy resulted in a show pregnancy?  I can't think of any....  

So, my guess (and hope) is that Camilla's pregnancy won't play a role in the show other than possibly her absence from a few episodes.

• Love 1

I think that the only one was Bailey's when Chandra Wilson was pregnant.  I believe that CL's contract may be up this year (if she signed for 5 years) but I don't think that she's leaving unless it was decided a long time ago.  From everything I've read, Greys is an incredible place for working mothers and I can't see Camilla wanting to leave that atmosphere.  Plus, if her leaving was already decided upon by both parties, Grey's probably wouldn't want to risk "firing" or not renewing the contract of a pregnant woman.

My guess is that the pregnancy won't be written in and she will just film things early (like that scene that CED9 mentioned).  I'm happy for her, and selfishly I hope that this gets her storyline moving!

• Love 2

if they're filming ahead then I wonder if it'll be like most of the other Greys episodes where her scenes are already filmed so Jo continues to appear even though Camilla is on maternity. I'd prefer that to an "Alex finds out about husband so Jo does an Izzie and bails" kind of storyline..

Are we sure the scenes they're filming ahead are Jo's scenes? I'm just wondering what type of scenes that there could be where they couldn't hide her pregnancy.  Even a love scene they could film her from the back, etc.  

I'm happy for her, and selfishly I hope that this gets her storyline moving!

Spring 2017 is probably April-ish so she'll be very pregnant right at the end of the season since that's around when they finish filming.  I can see them arranging the stories to wrap up the bulk of it a bit before the very end of the season just in case CL has the baby early or needs to have a lighter schedule.  I know there's so much talk about how awful Shonda is but she always seems to make sure pregnant actresses are accommodated with whatever makes them comfortable (going by all the interviews with various actresses).

Assuming the residency finally ends this season it would be easy to send Jo off for a few at the end. In the past they've mentioned residents having time off just when it finishes.  A few lines of dialog could say Jo took an extra couple of weeks or she's off at a seminar. Doesn't need to be anything like her running away, especially if the bulk of the story is resolved by then.

The only thing I could see her being pregnant interfering with is if they were planning on having a wedding in the finale (if Jo/Alex reunite).  

ETA: From TV Guide: 
Grey's Anatomy Mega Buzz: What Brings Leah Back to Grey Sloan?

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, windsprints said:

Are we sure the scenes they're filming ahead are Jo's scenes? I'm just wondering what type of scenes that there could be where they couldn't hide her pregnancy.  Even a love scene they could film her from the back, etc.  

There was a BTS shot of Camilla and JCap and the clapper thing said 13.13.  They were in a car, so its even more weird that they would be filming early if it was to hide the pregnancy.  Of course, more could have been going on in that episode and that was the only scene that they showed.

• Love 1

It could be just filler scenes to make it look like Jo is around in episodes where Camilla isn't around to film. Didn't they do that with Ellen P is season 6 or 7 when she was off on maternity. Meredith was bed ridden and recovering from surgery and would Pop up in few quick scenes throughout the episodes that Ellen was off for. That could be the plan with Camilla as well..

1 hour ago, Deanie87 said:

There was a BTS shot of Camilla and JCap and the clapper thing said 13.13.  They were in a car, so its even more weird that they would be filming early if it was to hide the pregnancy.  Of course, more could have been going on in that episode and that was the only scene that they showed.

There were also stunt doubles there (they specified stunt doubles, not stand ins) and I think one was Camilla's.

2 minutes ago, windsprints said:

Cars and stunt doubles...........that doesn't sound good for Jo! 

No it doesn't LOL!  That's exactly what I was thinking.  Alex, I'll take Couple Reunites Because of Near Death Experience for $500!

• Love 2

Forgot to say that it was definitely Arizona's car. Matched the one she was driving last season, at least. Arizona was driving, someone was in the passenger seat and Jo was in the back. Weird group.

Edited by CED9
6 minutes ago, CED9 said:

Forgot to say that it was definitely Arizona's car. Matched the one she was driving last season, at least.

Well that settles it - we all know how it goes when Arizona is at the wheel LOL!  Please no musical interludes, though.

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Deanie87 said:

No it doesn't LOL!  That's exactly what I was thinking.  Alex, I'll take Couple Reunites Because of Near Death Experience for $500

Yikes! It seems very hasty to throw that in on top of everything else but then if she's in an accident it could explain her missing a few episodes.

Maybe the random person in the passenger seat is Jo's ex, and he is holding she and Arizona hostage.

That's literally all I've got since another car accident would be like...really?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Deanie87 said:

When was this BTS shot taken/posted?  Because I think they would be filming about that episode right now anyway,

47 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

When was this BTS shot taken/posted?  Because I think they would be filming about that episode right now anyway,

About 2 weeks ago there was a crew tweet. Then Camilla tweeted a pic from inside the car, then a day or two after that she posted a picture with Jessica. I think they were on episode 8 or 9, but this was 13. This is the original tweet, but the tumblr CSI kids noticed it was Arizona's car and that Jessica was in the drivers seat.

Edited by CED9
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, CED9 said:

I wonder if that is why they were/are filming out of order. Jo probably has some larger SL in the second half of the season that they needed to get done before Camilla starts showing.

Congratulations to her!

I had originally thought they were filming some scenes for Caterina's maternity leave but it makes sense they could be doing some for Camilla/Jo as well.   It's still a little weird they would have to pre-shoot scenes for Camilla for episode 13 though.  Last year they were shooting episode 13 in early December so its not like Camilla would be too pregnant to hide in the next 6 weeks.  

50 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

the BTS shot was taken on Oct 13th and Camilla snapchatted working with Jesssica on Oct 15th, presumably the same scene/epsiode.  They are definitely pre-shooting for whatever reason, by normal schedule they should be on episode 9-ish now.  They had the mid-season finale table read last week, which should be 13x09, so they are likely filming that one now.

Edited by Greysaddict
  • Love 1

Awww that's lovely for Camilla!! On a selfish level it makes me worry even more about Jo and how they deal with her and Alex but I am happy for Camilla!

lol but another thing.. can someone seriously explain how the actual HELL they think they can retcon Leah's return?? Even more ridiculous, retcon  her into being some kick ass amazing surgeon?? I'm sorry, but she was FIRED because she wasn't capable of being a surgeon!!! That was the reason! Confidence had nothing to do with it whatsoever, this is just so ludicrous. Is anyone going to buy this crap? Seriously? 

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, Rose-1 said:

Awww that's lovely for Camilla!! On a selfish level it makes me worry even more about Jo and how they deal with her and Alex but I am happy for Camilla!

lol but another thing.. can someone seriously explain how the actual HELL they think they can retcon Leah's return?? Even more ridiculous, retcon  her into being some kick ass amazing surgeon?? I'm sorry, but she was FIRED because she wasn't capable of being a surgeon!!! That was the reason! Confidence had nothing to do with it whatsoever, this is just so ludicrous. Is anyone going to buy this crap? Seriously? 

It's like they watched old episodes of ER when they brought Chen back after they showed her be completely inaccurate of being a good doctor. Not thinking things through, trying to 1-up everyone. Then she has a "moment" with a person having a heart attack and then comes back being an amazing doctor. Sorry, Leah showed constantly she didn't have the skills or gifts to be a surgeon, a regular doctor or private practice one. Sure, but we were hit over the head she wasn't cut out for it and now: "Look I'm a god now" Oh come on!

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, readster said:

It's like they watched old episodes of ER when they brought Chen back after they showed her be completely inaccurate of being a good doctor. Not thinking things through, trying to 1-up everyone. Then she has a "moment" with a person having a heart attack and then comes back being an amazing doctor. Sorry, Leah showed constantly she didn't have the skills or gifts to be a surgeon, a regular doctor or private practice one. Sure, but we were hit over the head she wasn't cut out for it and now: "Look I'm a god now" Oh come on!

Exactly!!!! And it really really pisses me off that they think we're so gullible and stupid enough to look past this or just accept it. I HATE retcons. And shows that do them are either on their last legs, as they've completely run out of ideas, or the writers are totally incompetent. It's ruining everything I used to love about this show, the worse in quality it gets. And I really wish I could ask Shonda - why wouldn't you just stop?? Sure, there's always going to be people who watch the show but it's impossible to dispute the fact now that greys is slowly loosing all of its heart and character that made it greys!! Just because people watch doesn't mean you should keep flogging a dead horse. Sorry to people still enjoying it, this is just my venting haha, it just saddens me because I wish they had done what desperate housewives did, and ended it when it was still fantastic. I wouldn't be complaining, but imo there's too many characters now whose dynamics are becoming increasingly OOC and ruined, and too many significant people leaving, and the wrong ones returning!! 

Also with my favourite character being Jo, well, it doesn't get much worse than that in character treatment lol. Honestly I wonder why I'm still here, holding out hope they will do their characters justice. 

• Love 2

I don't think Leah coming back as a competent surgeon is a retcon. Seattle Grace is an atrocious teaching hospital; it's very possible that she went somewhere else and got the training she actually needed to thrive. I mean, she made it through med school and got into the GSM program, so she couldn't have been a total hack. She was let go because she wasn't up to par with where she needed to be, not because she was a total train wreck who couldn't practice medicine. 

52 minutes ago, BaseOps said:

I don't think Leah coming back as a competent surgeon is a retcon. Seattle Grace is an atrocious teaching hospital; it's very possible that she went somewhere else and got the training she actually needed to thrive. I mean, she made it through med school and got into the GSM program, so she couldn't have been a total hack. She was let go because she wasn't up to par with where she needed to be, not because she was a total train wreck who couldn't practice medicine. 

I'm trying not to judge form a 90 second sneak peak but to me it does seem like a huge retcon.  We see that GSMH is a terrible teaching hospital with interns doing whatever they want with no consequences, but in the show's universe it is supposed to be one of the top teaching hospitals (although they haven't mentioned their ranking in years, so who knows maybe it's horrible now).  

I feel like Leah is being shoved back down our throats because she is a Shondaland favorite and they haven't found a better place for her (since the pilot she was in didn't get picked up).  But again, I am not rushing to judgment yet.  We'll see tonight.

Question though- I though Leah was going to be the "special consultant" but it seems as though that role is someone else and Leah is just thrown back into the resident class.  Does anyone know how she ends up back?  I wasn't sure if I missed something.

• Love 3

It's definetly a retcon. I just watched the episode and Weber very honestly tells her that while she can do other things he can see it in how she operates that she doesn't have the skills to do surgery. For her to not only now have these but also be the bestest is a pretty big eye rolling retcon. 

Hopefully she's not with Arizona again but have they brought her back to make the interns relevant again? I don't know what they needed an extra person to do that but I can't imagine what her purpose is besides possibly being this years perfect penny.

Good god - what is with this show not being able to utilise the cast members they already have. 

Edited by Chas411

Question though- I though Leah was going to be the "special consultant" but it seems as though that role is someone else and Leah is just thrown back into the resident class.  Does anyone know how she ends up back?  I wasn't sure if I missed something.

There was an episode description that had a consultant coming in before it was known how Leah would return. The consultant being her was speculation. In the sneak peek Arizona mentions Webber bringing her in which makes it all make less sense since he's the one who told her she wouldn't make it as a surgeon. 

For me it definitely seems like a retcon. 

Edited by windsprints

Leah's return is definitely a retcon. There's no way it's not when Richard was the one who fired her and now appears to be the one who has rehired her. 

As far as the consultant goes, that was indeed just fan speculation. But it seemed pretty clear that once Leah was shown in resident scrubs in the articles about Tessa's return, she very obviously would not be the consultant. 

I can't handle the thought of Leah being back full-time,  so here's hoping she's been brought in as cannon fodder for a fiery mid-season finale spectacular. The cast is beyond bloated; time to clear the decks.

• Love 2
40 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

In that case let ten bring Omelia with them. They have painfully run their course.

Totally agree with this, Owen ran his course after Cristina left. Because really what has he brought that's been memorable since her departure?? Some people may like omelia, even though to me they always felt like a ship of convenience that got together and then BOOM- married. So unrealistic, and now they are sucking up screen time. 

And yeah the thought of her being back full time makes me want to bash my head against a wall, which is probably more enjoyable that watching her smug obnoxious face on screen EUGH

Edited by Rose-1

I get why people see it as a huge shift and, trust me, I'd much rather see focus stay on Alex, Meredith, Jo, and just about anyone else in the existing cast rather than Leah. But out of all the things that these writers have gotten away with, I just don't see it as implausible that Leah could come back and be a good (or great) surgeon. She was at the hospital for 2 years (or however long those two seasons were supposed to represent) so she was doing something right. Richard's opinion is just one opinion - he fired her because he thought she wasn't good enough, which doesn't necessarily mean that she wasn't good enough. It's been several years since she left (at least 2, considering the jump after Derek died). She could have easily gone elsewhere and gotten good training and become a great surgeon. So I think it's totally plausible, I just wish it wasn't happening. 

I'd be fine with Owen and Amelia leaving too but I don't think they've run their course any more than many of the other characters. Has Japril run their course? Arizona? Richard? Bailey and Ben? Meredith's stories repeat over and over. I'll even throw my favorite Alex in there; he's had quite a bit of repetition too. Why is Maggie even here?

Every fan will have favorites (and I do think Omelia has a decent sized fanbase outside of this forum) and be willing to toss their non-faves right off the show (raising my hand, I'm guilty of it).  IMO the problem is more the storytelling than the characters have run their course. I'm not a big Japril fan but I was really interested in watching their story after baby Samuel died. I can't stand Meredith but I was interested in watching a story of a woman moving on after such a tragic loss. What I ended up watching was Japril barely reacting after the baby dying, April running off for a year, etc.  I watched Meredith be even more of a bitch than ever and now in the world's stupidest triangle.  I don't care for Leah and I'm not at all hopeful that there will be some compelling storyline for her return since they couldn't even deliver for the ones that never left. 

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 5

Wind sprints, I totally agree with everything you just said. It's a shame that Shonda and the writers concentrate on plot, but are unable or unwilling to let the actors have the rich emotional material stemming from the plot to work with and let it play out. And it's a testament to the cast that they've managed to keep us hooked for years with what little they have to do. At this point, Grey's is really good fodder for fanfic being written(or thought out) by the viewers because the chances of it being on screen are nil. And that's a shame.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, windsprints said:

Every fan will have favorites (and I do think Omelia has a decent sized fanbase outside of this forum) and be willing to toss their non-faves right off the show (raising my hand, I'm guilty of it).  IMO the problem is more the storytelling than the characters have run their course. I'm not a big Japril fan but I was really interested in watching their story after baby Samuel died. I can't stand Meredith but I was interested in watching a story of a woman moving on after such a tragic loss. What I ended up watching was Japril barely reacting after the baby dying, April running off for a year, etc.  I watched Meredith be even more of a bitch than ever and now in the world's stupidest triangle.  I don't care for Leah and I'm not at all hopeful that there will be some compelling storyline for her return since they couldn't even deliver for the ones that never left. 

Indeed, which is why the show should end. Sure, it's still getting great ratings, but why not go out with whatever semblance of "on top" that they can, rather than beat it to the ground? 

The compelling storytelling, the stories with heart, are just not there anymore. Whether or not viewers favorites are still on the show. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, windsprints said:

I'd be fine with Owen and Amelia leaving too but I don't think they've run their course any more than many of the other characters. Has Japril run their course? Arizona? Richard? Bailey and Ben? Meredith's stories repeat over and over. I'll even throw my favorite Alex in there; he's had quite a bit of repetition too. Why is Maggie even here?

Honestly the only open ended thing for Japril is the fact that they haven't reunited. I'd happily see them off the show also but I do see more longevity in their storyline then I did Omelias at the end of season 12. I don't doubt there's fans there for Omelia I've had moments myself where I liked them but I think in an already bloated cast they're the two most unnecessary additions at this point. I've watched them both have the same storyline repeatedly. If I could choose two characters whose exits would have no impact on me it would be those two everytime. Had the left at the end of season 12 it could have left room for other regulars to get screen time as well as bringing back Leah.

• Love 1

Was going to complain about the absurdity of bringing in more characters when there's apparently not enough time to give any attention to the actual protagonist of what is far and way the most dramatic, interesting and sensitive storyline the show has going on. Then realised it doesn't matter, because even if every other actor quit, Jo still wouldn't get a pov.

• Love 3

speaking of Japril....Sarah Drew posted a sorta cryptic instragram post earlier today indicating that something major is coming for April.  I'm guess the winter premiere/episode 10 but could be episode 9 as well.  Seems interesting she would say it was "big" considering how much big stuff April has been through in the past year, losing a child, going into the army, divorce, having another baby, not to mention the wedding flashbacks.  Seems like even Japril getting back together wouldn't be that "big" in comparison.  I've seen some speculation that April is going through PPD, although I don't really see it myself, that would certainly be something big to take on.  

I don't dislike April but sadly my first thought was "yay, yet another thing to push Jo's story and Jolex to the backburner".  /sarcasm obviously

*she insisted she isn't leaving the show but that's how it sounded at first to me.  

Edited by Greysaddict

I have a feeling they're going to do a Penny with Leah and suddenly give her tons of screentime and go overkill with characters doing an about face to wax poetic about how wonderful she is.

• Love 3
45 minutes ago, tapplum said:

Was going to complain about the absurdity of bringing in more characters when there's apparently not enough time to give any attention to the actual protagonist of what is far and way the most dramatic, interesting and sensitive storyline the show has going on. Then realised it doesn't matter, because even if every other actor quit, Jo still wouldn't get a pov.

I'm glad that somebody else feels this way. I've been beginning to question my sanity, because I think this all the time..there is an opportunity for SUCH a rich story here, tackling DV! It's about the one thing greys hasn't done yet (for a main cast member that I can remember) and it is actually beyond my belief how they are having the nerve to ignore the female perspective in this entire storyline. WHY?? And how?? How can they possibly not capitalise on the potential here, not just to finally give Jo something to do to turn her character around after the way they've pretty much ruined her, but to explore such a sensitive topic and do it justice! Yet somehow, they've turned what should've been her perspective and emotions about escaping and surviving an abusive marriage, turning herself around and starting a new life (but still carrying the mental baggage of hiding her past) into a woe is me tale of Alex's man pain. and turning HER story into an exaggerated, dragged out tale about Alex and Deluca. It's just seriously defying my belief at this point, how they have managed to screw it up THIS badly. I wouldn't Care about Alex and Deluca's roles, if Jo had gotten SOMETHING so far. It should have been something they were proud to write about, and prioritised it as at least one of the leading stories!! Instead it's nonexistent. It's taken too long. Now it's going to be used AGAIN as mid season finale bait, except we don't even know if Jo has a significant role. Just awful, awful writing.

Edited by Rose-1
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Rose-1 said:

Just awful, awful writing.

I agree completely. I mean, sure I'm glad to see Alex doing basically anything other in the world than being a prop for the Not-Actually-Sisters, but this is absurd. With most of the stuff I dislike on the show (the forced sisterhood thing, or the stupid triangle, or Omelia) I can at least understand what they were going for. But I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone would think what they're doing with Jo and her storyline is a good idea.

I've never particularly liked Jo. I've wanted to like her and tried to like her, and on paper I *should* like her, because she has a lot of traits that I usually enjoy. But they've just never written for her. I'm completely unable to take either her or her relationship with Alex seriously, because she just seems like Alex's Love Interest, as opposed to a character in her own right. God knows I wasn't a fan of Izzie, but  because she had a pov and a meaningful life outside of Alex (her own storylines, her own relationships, her own evolving career), I could believe in and be interested in their relationship. Because it was written as a relationship between two people, rather than between one actual character and a Designated Love Interest.

I can only hope that they eventuelly get real about the Jolex storyline, because we're reaching the point where it's not just shitty writing but borderline offensive. Domestic abuse sidelined for a juvenile love trinagle and Amelia not understanding how a pregnancy test works, really? This Jolex thing could have driven the entire season. Instead it seems we're getting one or two cliffhanger+quickfix episodes. Unbelieveable.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, tapplum said:

I can only hope that they eventuelly get real about the Jolex storyline, because we're reaching the point where it's not just shitty writing but borderline offensive. Domestic abuse sidelined for a juvenile love trinagle and Amelia not understanding how a pregnancy test works, really? This Jolex thing could have driven the entire season. Instead it seems we're getting one or two cliffhanger+quickfix episodes. Unbelieveable.

I agree totally. And I completely understand why you haven't connected with Jo, they never really made the effort to treat her like her own character. It was far far better in seasons 9 and 10 than the joke it is now, but I get where you're coming from! I don't know, I loved her straight away, I think because she had a fun loving spark to her, and I agree, she was never given the perspective she should've been given, but I think Camilla really lifted the little Material she had to work with and put something of herself into the role and I just really liked her, and loved her and Alex. 

But you're right, it IS offensive. And what might have been a poor effort in the start has now nose dived into possibly the WORST treatment of a character greys has ever had. Like seriously, she drops these bombs every cliffhanger episode with ZERO follow through to explain them, they made Meredith act like a colossal bitch to her for NO reason, all the attendings apparently don't want to work with her with for no definitive reason either, and every time she fights with Steph it's her fault. So of course all these things add up and now everyone hates her and she's vilified by the entire fandom. It's almost like the writers hate her character but won't get rid of her, I just don't understand it? 

And lol if they have Webber apologise to Leah I think I'll throw my laptop out the window 

Edited by Rose-1
  • Love 1

Indeed, which is why the show should end. Sure, it's still getting great ratings, but why not go out with whatever semblance of "on top" that they can, rather than beat it to the ground? 

The compelling storytelling, the stories with heart, are just not there anymore. Whether or not viewers favorites are still on the show. 

Moving reply to 'Past Seasons' since I'm getting waaaaaay off topic. Sorry.

Edited by windsprints
11 minutes ago, Rose-1 said:

It's almost like the writers hate her character but won't get rid of her, I just don't understand it? 

That's what's so weird! If you can't or don't want to write for the character, then for god's sake write her out. Why in the world would they give such important and potentially awesome storylines as an Alex relationship and a domestic abuse plot to a character void of pov? It's gone so far that their refusal to write for her is having a serious negative impact on Alex's storyline, because how how how do we not even know how he feels about their breakup?

And the worst part is, it wouldn't even be difficult to turn it around. Give her some meaningful friendships. Give her something to do at work. Dig into her past. The story writes itself.

Currently I'm speculating that Jo's role in the trial will be sitting there crying, and then being ignored by Alex and bitched at by Meredith. Followed by some whining to the other residents, who encourage her to eat her feelings (deluca) and tell her to get over it (stephanie). Sometime this spring, her husband will randomly turn up. The whole thing will be dealt with in half an episode. She will cry some more, Alex will say something gruff, and Meredith will take a timeout from bitching at Jo to bitching at the husband. I mean I like Meredith and I'm not principcally opposed to her being a complete bitch to Jo, but I'd at least like to know why.

1 hour ago, CED9 said:

I have a feeling they're going to do a Penny with Leah and suddenly give her tons of screentime and go overkill with characters doing an about face to wax poetic about how wonderful she is.

Yep.  Penny was the new Maggie and Leah will be the new Penny.  An unnecessary character brought in/back for no discernible reason, who shines like the sun (but not nearly as bright as The Sun) and sucks up screentime and storyline, while other characters who have been there twice as long molder in the background.  Before you know it, Alex will be cracking up at her jokes and defending her to Jo and Steph.  I have no doubt.  Can't wait.

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 2

I don't think the writers hate Jo. I think Camilla/Justin are low maintenance actors who are happy to be on Grey's/have jobs. I don't think it is a coincidence Justin is getting more screen time now that Patrick and SaRA have left. Both struck me as being more vocal about the way Derek/Callie were portrayed.

• Love 1

Leah had, like, a combined two minutes of screen time tonight. I won't be surprised to see her become a regular,  but I don't think she's going to suddenly overtake the storytelling. I think them pushing her as a great surgeon has more to do with the fact that she couldn't become that surgeon while at GSM, but she was able to elsewhere. 

8 hours ago, Greysaddict said:

speaking of Japril....Sarah Drew posted a sorta cryptic instragram post earlier today indicating that something major is coming for April.  I'm guess the winter premiere/episode 10 but could be episode 9 as well.  Seems interesting she would say it was "big" considering how much big stuff April has been through in the past year, losing a child, going into the army, divorce, having another baby, not to mention the wedding flashbacks.  Seems like even Japril getting back together wouldn't be that "big" in comparison.  I've seen some speculation that April is going through PPD, although I don't really see it myself, that would certainly be something big to take on.  

I don't dislike April but sadly my first thought was "yay, yet another thing to push Jo's story and Jolex to the backburner".  /sarcasm obviously

*she insisted she isn't leaving the show but that's how it sounded at first to me.  

April has been mostly C or D plot this season, so a "big" episode for her could be anything where April plays a more prominent role. I don't think she's leaving, otoh, they seem to be adding quite a few new female characters so who knows.

Something is definitely going to happen with Jo and Deluca (hopefully not a baby, but in light of Camilla's pregnancy news, the patient storyline had me wondering), and I feel like that makes Merlex even more a possibility now, which is weird since they've been pushing Mer/Riggs so hard at the same time. Maybe they're trying various things out in terms of chemistry? There's not a lot of MFEO on the show right now.

12 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

I don't think the writers hate Jo. I think Camilla/Justin are low maintenance actors who are happy to be on Grey's/have jobs. I don't think it is a coincidence Justin is getting more screen time now that Patrick and SaRA have left. Both struck me as being more vocal about the way Derek/Callie were portrayed.

I don't actually think that the writers or Shonda hate anyone, but I do think that they have their favorites and Jo has never been one of them, and Alex is now only one of them because Cristina, Derek and Callie are gone.  All of his decent scenes are centered around Meredith and the sisters.  I think that Justin is pretty laid back and takes the storylines as they come, but Camilla seems really, really invested in her character.  She has mentioned calling the writers and questioning them about things numerous times and even mentioned reading books on domestic violence in preparation for an arc that may never come.  For her sake, I hope she gets to use some of that.  You would think that after dealing with actors who acted out and disrupted things because they just wanted off the show so badly, that Shonda would appreciate, if not reward, this level of enthusiasm, but apparently not.

At this point, I am starting to think that they will drop the bombshell about the husband at trial, Alex will decide that he can't forgive her (making her the bad guy), and it will all get dropped.  She will move on with DeLuca and they will lay the groundwork for Alex and Mer to discover their "feelings" for each other in the finale.  Oh my god, my fingers cramped just writing that.  Its a long season, so maybe I am just being paranoid about it, but they aren't really planting any seeds for another outcome, at least not at this point.

15 hours ago, Greysaddict said:

I thought for sure it was going to be that April was going to start dating again and trying to move on while living with Jackson.  Once again, Jackson and April seem so far removed from everyone else.  

Edited by Deanie87
32 minutes ago, Deanie87 said:

I don't actually think that the writers or Shonda hate anyone, but I do think that they have their favorites and Jo has never been one of them, and Alex is now only one of them because Cristina, Derek and Callie are gone.  All of his decent scenes are centered around Meredith and the sisters.  I think that Justin is pretty laid back and takes the storylines as they come, but Camilla seems really, really invested in her character.  She has mentioned calling the writers and questioning them about things numerous times and even mentioned reading books on domestic violence in preparation for an arc that may never come.  For her sake, I hope she gets to use some of that.  You would think that after dealing with actors who acted out and disrupted things because they just wanted off the show so badly, that Shonda would appreciate, if not reward, this level of enthusiasm, but apparently not.

At this point, I am starting to think that they will drop the bombshell about the husband at trial, Alex will decide that he can't forgive her (making her the bad guy), and it will all get dropped.  She will move on with DeLuca and they will lay the groundwork for Alex and Mer to discover their "feelings" for each other in the finale.  Oh my god, my fingers cramped just writing that.  Its a long season, so maybe I am just being paranoid about it, but they aren't really planting any seeds for another outcome, at least not at this point.

I thought for sure it was going to be that April was going to start dating again and trying to move on while living with Jackson.  Once again, Jackson and April seem so far removed from everyone else.  

I see your point. I do think if the writers thought Camilla would leave the show over lack of material they would give her more material. Arizona was given the Herman storyline the year Jessica's contract was up. I do think Camilla seems very happy on the show and has been great with fans on social media. I think Camilla has done more press for Grey's than Jerrika. Maybe that's Shonda's weird way to reward her. I agree I hope for her sake she gets to use some of that research. I have been dissapointed with direction of Jo's character she was one of my favorites in season 9 and 10.

I have seen a lot of speculation about Alex/Meredith getting together after this episode. I didn't get that impression since Meredith and Riggs were barley in the episode.         I don't think Alex/Jo are done yet. Not saying Alex/Meredith won't get together I just didnt feel this episode was hinting at it more than others. I do think it's interesting since I remember reading that when Justin auditioned he had a screen test with Ellen. Here is the link http://www.tvguide.com/galleries/greys-anatomy-audition-stories-1071768/photo/09b732b4-2ea9-4a47-ba4e-1a385bbc4d91/

Edited by choclatechip45

As Alex’s trial nears, how will that start to divide the hospital on Grey’s Anatomy? — Lucy
If a divide does start to happen, Alex will have at least two of the sisters on his side. “Clearly Amelia is starting to feel really safe with Alex in a way that’s unexpected,” Caterina Scorsone says. “I don’t think she knew she was going to talk to him about her core trauma, and suddenly and unexpectedly he was this safe place for her to say something that she had not been able to say to anyone, including Derek. Now she’s seeing him as this potential safe place. I don’t know how the hospital will be divided, but I imagine Amelia has some pretty affectionate feelings toward Alex right now that he was able to witness her in her darkest moments and in this unique way.”