Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Speculation: Benchmarking

• Start Topic

It's the grant time frame that's throwing me off.  If it were longer and Callie/Penny decided to move together, of course a hard decision would have to be made.  Both Callie and Arizona would want their daughter with them.  But, for only a year, there doesn't need to be a hard decision (other than for the Drama! and Thrills! of course).

The goal should be to disrupt Sofia's (and all of their's) life the least and that would be for her to stay in Seattle.  Frankly, Callie should stay too, since what, she's going to give up her Chief of Orthopedics title, move across the country and find a temporary surgeon job?  No hospital would realistically give her a comparable Chief title with such a short time commitment so it would effectively be a career downgrade for her.  Regular visits to see Penny is much more reasonable (and less traumatic for all than a court case).  Unless this is Sara Ramirez's uninspired exit and the move is permanent.

I feel like we're missing something important (likely), or are completely off the mark somehow.  TPTB normally keep a pretty tight lid on spoilery photos.  The speculation so far this season, however, has been pretty spot on so it's probably just them upping the angst anyway they can.  At least it should get clearer what's coming after Thursday.

Exactly.  The grant time frame is problematic and makes me think it's really just a vehicle to write off Penny only.

I agree. Whatever Arizona does in 12x19 is going to make it more clear what direction they are going with this story.

If it's custody, it seems really dumb to have not had something in place already, especially since Mark died and particularly after the breakup. Like, some sort of custody should just hinge on Callie's goodwill as the biological parent? Is that what Shonda's party line is gonna be to explain that?

I just don't see why it would bother Callie, unless they would have Arizona fight for full custody (and obviously lose) just for drama's sake.

Who am I kidding, of course Shonda would do that for drama's sake, and get pats on the back from GLAAD and the like.

Arizona learning about penny winning the grant and Callie following her warrants her to be insecure about her daughter being dragged in uprooting. Her wanting to secure her position in her daughter's life can never be out of line no matter what provokes it. Sofia is her daughter, Arizona's is entitled to have legal rights on her.

I just don't see how Callie can be even remotely not look selfish in all this considering when they were together and Arizona wanted to use her and Sofia's law suit money to move away from Seattle Grace mercy Death, Callie was so gung ho on using that money in buying the hospital.

Secondly, this is the same Callie who showed zero respect and real enthusiasm towards Arizona when Arizona won the Carter Madison Grant. Arizona was even single when she applied, Penny knew what she was getting into, told Callie she won't apply and still applied.

So, for me this would be pure assassination of Callie's character if she even thinks of following Penny or fight Arizona for custody.

Calzona is my favourite but Callie fighting Arizona for custody in any form would be worse than cheating for me. Non biological parents always get the crap end of the stick , and this is a LGBTQ non biological parent, Callie can't act coy that she doesn't knows that arizona doesn't even have a rat's chance in winning the custody.

If Arizona files for custody, I would like for Callie to support that , because that would be in line of her character. Challenging it would be character kill

I have a feeling 12x22 may be an Arizona info dump episode the way that Callie centric court episode was.

Shonda kept harping on how private Arizona is, so what better way to force her into info dump talking than having her talk under oath while fighting for her kid?

“You’re Gonna Need Someone on Your Side” – Stephanie’s relationship to Kyle becomes complicated. Meanwhile, Meredith encourages Amelia and Owen to take a chance and choose to be a real couple. Arizona and Callie are at odds and put their friends in the middle of an uncomfortable situation, on “Grey’s Anatomy,” THURSDAY, APRIL 28 (8:00-9:00 p.m. EDT), on the ABC Television Network.

episode 21 press release

no surprise here, seems like we are on the right track with a Calzona custody case/issue, or at least something regarding Sofia.  But, really Owen and Amelia STILL??  give it up already.  

So, Meredith didn't support Owen/Amelia when Amelia was in love with him, but now that she's said they aren't good for each other, Meredith is supporting them?  Actually that seems pretty spot on for Meredith.  

Edited by Greysaddict
  • Love 4

episode 21 press release

no surprise here, seems like we are on the right track with a Calzona custody case/issue, or at least something regarding Sofia.  But, really Owen and Amelia STILL??  give it up already.  

So, Meredith didn't support Owen/Amelia when Amelia was in love with him, but now that she's said they aren't good for each other, Meredith is supporting them?  Actually that seems pretty spot on for Meredith.  

I think they will get back together just in time so that Amelia can find out she is pregnant in the finale. Classic Greys. I am exhausted.

Honestly sorry for Calzona fans, they were the last ones with a sort of hope, out of the three epic couples - MerDer,Crowen, Slexie.

It is not worth shipping a couple on Greys.

Edited by NathanRiggsfan

episode 21 press release

Yea, it has to be a custody battle... I just can't see it being anything else, at this point. That is so, so disappointing for me. 

I don't think the Meredith / Owen / Amelia thing is super out of left field. She mentioned to Owen in the last episode that Amelia was asking about him... I actually forgot that she was sort of against it at one point, mostly because the Amelia / Owen "relationship" has just been so exhaustingly all over the place for two years now. Meredith and Amelia also weren't on such great terms at the time, if I'm right. Either way it just doesn't interest me at all. I'm finally warming up to Amelia, but this storyline is just a no-go for me. 

Again, no Alex or Jo in the press release... guessing we'll see no movement for them until they get a cutesy moment in the finale and then she puts on the ring. It also looks like the Bailey / Ben story will be wrapped up neatly in 2 hours this week, so I guess that's Bailey's entire "storyline" for the season. There's so much cast to spread stories around to, but we keep going back to the same things. At least there's no mention of Maggie in the press release.... 

Edited by BaseOps

If this is indeed Sara R's last season (and that is where I am leaning right now), I wonder if they have been planning this story for awhile?  Because if they are going to have their friends "take sides," Arizona hasn't had many connections other than April and Alex.  But this season, they have her hanging out with Richard and living with DeLuca (not that this has been explored really at all), which I have enjoyed, but I hope it hasn't all been just to build to this moment.  It will be interesting to see where the various characters fall in their support, if it gets to that point.

Also, I really despise this concept of Meredith granting her approval to all the various couples.  Maybe they are going for something along the lines of her encouraging people to go after love while they can, blah blah.  But for me it comes across more as a bunch of dumbasses who can't make a decision for themselves regarding the people that they have been involved with for literally YEARS now, until the Head Cheerleader tells them to.  Its just stupid and it bugs me. 

• Love 4

Also, I really despise this concept of Meredith granting her approval to all the various couples.  Maybe they are going for something along the lines of her encouraging people to go after love while they can, blah blah.  But for me it comes across more as a bunch of dumbasses who can't make a decision for themselves regarding the people that they have been involved with for literally YEARS now, until the Head Cheerleader tells them to.  Its just stupid and it bugs me. 

I completely agree.

• Love 1

If it's a custody issue, it's probably because Callie wants to relocate with Penny. And I can not believe that Shonda deems the character of Penny and that very unfavorable Callie/Penny relationship so important that it could cause this mess for Callie/Arizona. Especially because Callie/Arizona have been separated for so long and have been existing in their own corners.

How horrible it would be for this to be Callie's exit. I would think a character of that caliber would get more honorable exit than that.

This show certainly isn't what it used to be.

• Love 1

I don't think the Meredith / Owen / Amelia thing is super out of left field. She mentioned to Owen in the last episode that Amelia was asking about him... I actually forgot that she was sort of against it at one point, mostly because the Amelia / Owen "relationship" has just been so exhaustingly all over the place for two years now. Meredith and Amelia also weren't on such great terms at the time, if I'm right. Either way it just doesn't interest me at all. I'm finally warming up to Amelia, but this storyline is just a no-go for me. 

I didn't say it was out of left field at all?  All I said was that it was typical Meredith to suddenly be rooting for a couple who she was actively against at least once.

If it's a custody issue, it's probably because Callie wants to relocate with Penny. And I can not believe that Shonda deems the character of Penny and that very unfavorable Callie/Penny relationship so important that it could cause this mess for Callie/Arizona. Especially because Callie/Arizona have been separated for so long and have been existing in their own corners.

How horrible it would be for this to be Callie's exit. I would think a character of that caliber would get more honorable exit than that.

This show certainly isn't what it used to be.

this is why I think the custody case is a red herring of sorts, and why we've been given zero confirmation as to who has renewed and who hasn't.  It wouldn't be like SaRa to not give sufficient notice if she no longer wanted to continue on the show and it wouldn't be like Shonda to send Callie off this way.  

Edited by Greysaddict
  • Love 1

I didn't say it was out of left field at all? All I said was that it was typical Meredith to suddenly be rooting for a couple who she was actively against at least once.

this is why I think the custody case is a red herring of sorts, and why we've been given zero confirmation as to who has renewed and who hasn't. It wouldn't be like SaRa to not give sufficient notice if she no longer wanted to continue on the show and it wouldn't be like Shonda to send Callie off this way.

I actually wonder if the purpose is to clue Penny in to the Callie/Arizona dynamic. She just knows them as fleetingly friendly exes and not their baggage. It would be quite eye opening for her.

Arizona learning about penny winning the grant and Callie following her warrants her to be insecure about her daughter being dragged in uprooting. Her wanting to secure her position in her daughter's life can never be out of line no matter what provokes it. Sofia is her daughter, Arizona's is entitled to have legal rights on her.

I just don't see how Callie can be even remotely not look selfish in all this considering when they were together and Arizona wanted to use her and Sofia's law suit money to move away from Seattle Grace mercy Death, Callie was so gung ho on using that money in buying the hospital.

Secondly, this is the same Callie who showed zero respect and real enthusiasm towards Arizona when Arizona won the Carter Madison Grant. Arizona was even single when she applied, Penny knew what she was getting into, told Callie she won't apply and still applied.

So, for me this would be pure assassination of Callie's character if she even thinks of following Penny or fight Arizona for custody.

Calzona is my favourite but Callie fighting Arizona for custody in any form would be worse than cheating for me. Non biological parents always get the crap end of the stick , and this is a LGBTQ non biological parent, Callie can't act coy that she doesn't knows that arizona doesn't even have a rat's chance in winning the custody.

If Arizona files for custody, I would like for Callie to support that , because that would be in line of her character. Challenging it would be character kill

Callie has every right to want her daughter as does Arizona. They both love Sofia.

We don't even know what causes this fight and it seems like Arizona makes the first move in 12x19.

If Arizona is the issue, is she going to be viewed the same way?

Cheating and custody are highly different things and should not be used as comparison in whose behaviour is worse.

Edited by North
Also, I really despise this concept of Meredith granting her approval to all the various couples.  Maybe they are going for something along the lines of her encouraging people to go after love while they can, blah blah.  But for me it comes across more as a bunch of dumbasses who can't make a decision for themselves regarding the people that they have been involved with for literally YEARS now, until the Head Cheerleader tells them to.  Its just stupid and it bugs me

Agree, its bugged me for years. She's always sticking her nose in other people's love lives.  Maybe Maggie will be next.

I was hoping Amelia/Owen were done. I liked Amelia's chemistry with Nathan. I think personality wise Meredith and Owen are a better match than Owen/Amelia. Both Meredith and Owen have the tendency to yell and rage, both want children, both had relationships with Cristina, Meredith is willing to hate people because Owen says so, etc. Yes, it would be a little odd because Cristina was married to him but its been years and she lives on the other side of the world.

We don't even know what causes this fight and it seems like Arizona makes the first move in 12x19.

It says that first Callie makes a decision about Sofia without consulting Arizona and then Arizona makes a decision that can affect her relationship with Callie forever.

It probably means that Callie decides to go with Penny and take Sofia without talking to Arizona about it, and Arizona then sues for custody.

Which would all be pretty horrible. 

• Love 1

It says that first Callie makes a decision about Sofia without consulting Arizona and then Arizona makes a decision that can affect her relationship with Callie forever.

It probably means that Callie decides to go with Penny and take Sofia without talking to Arizona about it, and Arizona then sues for custody.

Which would all be pretty horrible. 

It's the other way around, actually. 

12x19 - Arizona makes a decision that could affect her relationship with Callie forever

12x20 - Arizona is upset when Callie tries to make an important decision about Sophia's future without consulting her

12x21 - Arizona and Callie are at odds and put their friends in the middle of an uncomfortable situation

The custody thing would definitely make more sense the way you had it, but according to the press releases Arizona's decision comes first, in the 2nd half of this week's 2-hour episode. 

Yeah, I see now I had it mixed up. 

Now I have no idea what decision Arizona could be making and why. It has to be something related to Sofia - what else can it be? - but I really can't think of anything that would make sense. It would be so odd if she just sued for custody out of blue, so far we haven't seen anything that would warrant it.

And if that is that, going away with Sofia without telling Arizona anything would be an even bigger overreaction than April's restraining order. 

But whatever happens, it's sure to be a mess. 

Maybe after seeing all of the crap that Jackson and April are going through with regards to custody issues, she starts to feel nervous about her own standing with Sofia.  Or maybe she hears that Penny got the grant and fears that Callie will go with her and she won't be able to do anything about it.  I don't think that we know what their exact legal custody agreement is, do we?

I wonder if there will be any other cliffhangers surrounding other actors whose contracts are up?  We assume that CW, JC and JPJ are going to re-sign but I don't think that anything is confirmed (or JW/SD).  Its clear that Richard and Alex just aren't going to get any kind of storyline this season, other than wisely stepping into other people's conflicts and/or being wingmen/Dear Abbeys, but I guess they could get something in the finale.  

Also, is Meredith ever going to interact with Nathan again?  I would have thought that they would plant those seeds a little earlier than they have if its going to happen.  The next 5 episodes seemed filled with Ben/Bailey and Calzona stuff.

• Love 3

I don't think that we know what their exact legal custody agreement is, do we?

The show barely acknowledges that they're parents. Lol.

But, no, all we have is that S8 "we'll get you a piece of paper" conversation. Which the show may forget ever happened.

• Love 2

Maybe after seeing all of the crap that Jackson and April are going through with regards to custody issues, she starts to feel nervous about her own standing with Sofia.  Or maybe she hears that Penny got the grant and fears that Callie will go with her and she won't be able to do anything about it.  I don't think that we know what their exact legal custody agreement is, do we?

I was thinking about that too. And maybe she also freaks out because of that missing kid. But wouldn't it be strange to straight up sue for parenting rights? Wouldn't she be able to just talk to Callie about it? I can't imagine she'd refuse it. 

And yes, I would also expect Meredith and Nathan to have interacted a bit more if those two are meant to be. So far it looks more like we're headed to an Owen/Amelia/Nathan love triangle of some sort. 

• Love 1

Now I have no idea what decision Arizona could be making and why. It has to be something related to Sofia - what else can it be? - but I really can't think of anything that would make sense. It would be so odd if she just sued for custody out of blue, so far we haven't seen anything that would warrant it.

And if that is that, going away with Sofia without telling Arizona anything would be an even bigger overreaction than April's restraining order. 

But whatever happens, it's sure to be a mess.

This is what I'm a bit confused about - Arizona asking for shared custody or seeking legal guardianship isn't super strange, but how would that 'change her relationship with Callie forever'? They've seemingly gotten along fine when it comes to Sofia. 

I wonder if there will be any other cliffhangers surrounding other actors whose contracts are up?  We assume that CW, JC and JPJ are going to re-sign but I don't think that anything is confirmed (or JW/SD).  Its clear that Richard and Alex just aren't going to get any kind of storyline this season, other than wisely stepping into other people's conflicts and/or being wingmen/Dear Abbeys, but I guess they could get something in the finale.

I think you may be onto something with the whole April / Jackson storyline serving as a spark for Arizona to step up and maybe want to seek some legal guardianship, but why would Callie ever object? I'm gonna have to wait until Thursday to see how this pans out, it's got me really confused. Any way I work it out in my head, it's a total assassination of Callie's character, which I hate. I hope we're missing something. 

I think Sara is the big possible departure that they're going to be playing up - obviously Ellen is returning, and everyone else seems like a safe bet (to me.) I wondered about Jesse Williams for a while but they don't seem to be paving the way for his exit at all. Then again, when Kim Raver and Chyler Leigh left, we had no indication at all until the S8 finale. I'm guessing Alex won't get any type of cliffhanger (*sigh*), I still think we're basically just going to see Jo finally accept the ring in the finale.

Also, is Meredith ever going to interact with Nathan again?  I would have thought that they would plant those seeds a little earlier than they have if its going to happen.  The next 5 episodes seemed filled with Ben/Bailey and Calzona stuff.

I thought we'd see a lot more Riggs / Meredith early on, but I'm sort of glad that they didn't push it (or push any fast MFEO relationship with Meredith so early.) I really like Riggs, so I'm still open to the possibility of them, but it looks like that won't be happening this season, at least. 

Here are the promo pics for 12x21: 

We've got Mer / Jo / Owen on a case together, Steph in her civilian clothes at the hospital, and what looks like an awkward Arizona / Penny / Alex scene. 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 1

Could Arizona file to prevent Callie from leaving the state with Sofia? I could see it being something like that (as opposed to filing for full custody) once she hears Penny won the grant. She and Callie may have an argument about it (or whatever it is) before it happens too.

• Love 3

Also, is Meredith ever going to interact with Nathan again?  I would have thought that they would plant those seeds a little earlier than they have if its going to happen.

That makes me easy. They seemed to have dropped it correctly but with all the moments Alex/Meredith have shared it wouldn't surprise me if this years cliffhanger is Meredith suddenly realizing she wants to do a Gizzie with Alex while he and Jo have their usual season finale minute and a half of screentime and get engaged or something.

Next season we watch her play the torn lovestruck friend who supports (ha!) Alex and puts his happiness before hers (again, ha!).

I'd say the above scenario would make Jo the Callie in all of this but that would require giving her actual screentime and we all know that would never happen.

• Love 1

Could Arizona file to prevent Callie from leaving the state with Sofia? I could see it being something like that (as opposed to filing for full custody) once she hears Penny won the grant. She and Callie may have an argument about it (or whatever it is) before it happens too.

I read a thing about Washington's custody laws that said that the parent who gets the most time with the child has the right to move as long as they give 60 days notice, and then the other parent has 30 days to file an objection. If that happens, it's up to a judge to decide what is in the child's best interests.

I don't know if that would apply, but I'm guessing that as the biological parent in a seemingly stable relationship, Callie would be "winning" in that instance.

Edited by CED9
  • Love 1

This actually makes a lot of sense, since it seems that Arizona is going to be pro-active about it.  I still am not sure how all of this will bring Callie and Arizona together (if they are going to go that way).

That makes me easy. They seemed to have dropped it correctly but with all the moments Alex/Meredith have shared it wouldn't surprise me if this years cliffhanger is Meredith suddenly realizing she wants to do a Gizzie with Alex while he and Jo have their usual season finale minute and a half of screentime and get engaged or something.

I think that if they are going to go the Alex/Meredith route, it won't happen until sometime next season.  If Jo and Alex breakup either in the finale or, more likely, over the summer timejump offscreen, then Camilla will most likely leave and then we'll know.  OR Meredith will still get with Nathan, Alex will be without a love interest once again and get even less storyline, if that is possible.  Jo got more of a storyline than he did this year.

If Jo and Alex breakup either in the finale or, more likely, over the summer timejump offscreen, then Camilla will most likely leave and then we'll know.

Or, we won't see Jo and sometime around 13x20 Alex will realize he hasn't seen Jo in awhile because no one covered him with a blanket as he sat at Meredith's bedside for her annual 'MEREDITH IN PERIL' episode.

I read a thing about Washington's custody laws that said that the parent who gets the most time with the child has the right to move as long as they give 60 days notice, and then the other parent has 30 days to file an objection. If that happens, it's up to a judge to decide what is in the child's best interests.

Thanks, I didn't know how it was in WA.  I wonder if there's still something a parent can do to try to prevent it, especially on Grey's where realism isn't all that big of an issue.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 2

This actually makes a lot of sense, since it seems that Arizona is going to be pro-active about it.  I still am not sure how all of this will bring Callie and Arizona together (if they are going to go that way).

I don't think it will bring Callie and Arizona together. Despite this being a nighttime soap, so never say never, I do also think there are some lines that once crossed you can't go back. Fighting over a kid is major, and depending on how this plays out could get very ugly. Since it's going all the way to court it doesn't look like either mother is going to back down; which will surprise me with Callie because I don't understand why she'd go through all of this trouble just because her girlfriend got an opportunity away for one year.

Mark will be rolling in his grave.

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 2

I don't think it will bring Callie and Arizona together. Despite this being a nighttime soap, so never say never, I do also think there are some lines that once crossed you can't go back. Fighting over a kid is major, and depending on how this plays out could get very ugly. Since it's going all the way to court it doesn't look like either mother is going to back down; which will surprise me with Callie because I don't understand why she'd go through all of this trouble just because her girlfriend got an opportunity away for one year.

Maybe she is trying to re-do the Africa trip. Only this time she has a kid so it isn't quite the same.

Yea, I can't see how this would be framed as a Callie / Arizona reunion. At the start of the season I thought it was possible, but the writers seem to really want us to buy that Callie and Penny are SO in love (as they have since 12x05.) I also agree that a custody battle is hard to come back from - they have enough issues that they've never bothered to discuss, so I can't see this making it any better. It just drives me crazy that, like you said, this is hypothetically all over Penny leaving for one year. How could Callie justify taking Sofia away from Arizona for a year when she could instead leave her in school and just go visit Penny when Arizona has Sofia? It's not just Callie's life she'd be leaving behind in Seattle, but Sofia's as well (granted, she's only a child... but still.) 

I think that if they are going to go the Alex/Meredith route, it won't happen until sometime next season.  If Jo and Alex breakup either in the finale or, more likely, over the summer timejump offscreen, then Camilla will most likely leave and then we'll know.  OR Meredith will still get with Nathan, Alex will be without a love interest once again and get even less storyline, if that is possible.  Jo got more of a storyline than he did this year.

This is why I wished that the writers had stretched out the Preminger thing rather than making it obvious right away that Penny would jump in and get it. It could have been used as a catalyst to get some real Alex / Jo discussion (She applied to get it, essentially agreeing to leave for a year, and we didn't even see acknowledgment that she'd be leaving Alex...), still set off the Callie / Arizona story (Callie telling Arizona that if Penny gets the grant, she'll go with her...), and even been used as a potential exit for Steph since it's all over the media that Jerikka is filming a pilot. Instead, it became this quick throwaway for a storyline that we all sort of saw coming. 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 2

I was thinking about that too. And maybe she also freaks out because of that missing kid. But wouldn't it be strange to straight up sue for parenting rights? Wouldn't she be able to just talk to Callie about it? I can't imagine she'd refuse it. 

You might be on to something here.  What if the missing kid has a non-biological parent who the hospital/police wont give any information to?  This could set off Arizona filing for legal adoption and then Callie will reveal she wants to take Sofia with her and Penny causing a bigger issue.  eh i dunno it sounds lame just typing it out but who knows.

Or, we won't see Jo and sometime around 13x20 Alex will realize he hasn't seen Jo in awhile because no one covered him with a blanket as he sat at Meredith's bedside for her annual 'MEREDITH IN PERIL' episode.

Thanks, I didn't know how it was in WA.  I wonder if there's still something a parent can do to try to prevent it, especially on Grey's where realism isn't all that big of an issue.

well do they suddenly seem to care about HIPAA after 12 season, so who knows maybe they will actually look up Washington state laws /sarcasm

This is why I wished that the writers had stretched out the Preminger thing rather than making it obvious right away that Penny would jump in and get it. It could have been used as a catalyst to get some real Alex / Jo discussion (She applied to get it, essentially agreeing to leave for a year, and we didn't even see acknowledgment that she'd be leaving Alex...), still set off the Callie / Arizona story (Callie telling Arizona that if Penny gets the grant, she'll go with her...), and even been used as a potential exit for Steph since it's all over the media that Jerikka is filming a pilot. Instead, it became this quick throwaway for a storyline that we all sort of saw coming. 

lol at this....if only Jo and Alex actually had a conversation period. ;)

Edited by Greysaddict
  • Love 2

Calzona fans on Twitter are speculating Callie and Arizona to take Violet and Pete's route from private practice. Though the custody battle was ugly, it did allowed them to lay down their truths. it got more ugly for others actually who have to pick sides between their friends.

If Calzona are headed for some big reunion, there needs to some major ruffling of feathers, I don't see them heading anywhere with the way they are going. Maybe Penny needs to see how deep this relationship actually is to realize that she doesn't even holds a flame.

Now even if it goes that way, I know for sure how much hate Pete got for challenging Violet. If Callie challenges Arizona in any form, it will be such an horrible thing to do to her character because she doesn't have any ground to question Arizona's motherhood and not allow her joint custody.

I'm just pissed at writers for destroying Callie's character so much already. I don't think I can handle any more of that this season.

And all of this over Penny???? Ugh gross actually.

In the end I know Arizona doesn't hold a chance, just like Violet didn't, and this would be just another mega loss for a character that has seen enough losses already.

All you need to do to see the fault here is that put Mark in Arizona's position. If Mark puts a restraining order on Sofia leaving, would Callie even dare challenge that? No because she will see him as an equal parent. The fact that Arizona isn't biological related to Sofia is a weak nerve and Callie is gonna use that against her. And it's pathetic.

lol at this....if only Jo and Alex actually had a conversation period. ;)

It's crazy. The last time they had a scene together (just the two of them) was, I believe, 12x12. I genuinely thought things were looking up before that: I thought they had some good stuff in 12x03, started discussing long-overdue issues in 12x08, and then got some nice subtle scenes in 12x10... then nothing. 12x12 basically put them on pause, so we're just supposed to believe that they're happy but essentially in arrested development. I'm totally fine with Jo not wanting to be engaged, given how he's treated her at times, but it'd be nice to have seen them at least talk about it. Or give them a sex scene rather then just having them both mention to their friends that they're having great sex. Ben and Bailey got a scene discussing why he didn't apply for the grant, but Alex and Jo didn't get one discussing what would happen if she did get it. 

I was glad to see the Jo / Meredith resolution (though I know not everyone was happy with it), and I thought that after that they would have Alex and Jo start to move on, but then they just disappeared into the background. Oddly enough, this year has endeared me to Jo more than I ever have been, if only because I felt bad to see her being shit on so much early on and I liked when she started standing up for herself. Now I have no doubt that there's nothing ahead for them this season aside from her accepting the proposal in the finale. I think we'll see lots of Alex supporting Arizona through her upcoming hardships and that's it. I really, really wonder what Camilla thinks, especially after being given quite a bit of focus in S9 and S10. 

Shonda very clearly stated before the season started that behind-the-scenes issues caused their stories to be put on hold last year, and that we'd be diving back into Alex / Jo this year. So much for that. I'd honestly have rather seen a full-on breakup in 12x08 even if it was only designed to give them some time apart and watch them work back together (it's better than nothing.) I don't understand if the writers don't know what to do with them or if they're just complacent. I still think Shonda is just too into her new batch of characters to care, honestly. It's a pity, because Alex is a fan-favourite (clearly) and I think if they took the time to come up with good stories for him and develop Jo more, it would do a lot of good for the series. 

• Love 2

All you need to do to see the fault here is that put Mark in Arizona's position. If Mark puts a restraining order on Sofia leaving, would Callie even dare challenge that? No because she will see him as an equal parent. The fact that Arizona isn't biological related to Sofia is a weak nerve and Callie is gonna use that against her. And it's pathetic.

You're basing this off of nothing that's happened so far.

The fact of the matter is if Callie wants to leave, she has every right to want her daughter with her.  I agree that Arizona also has every right to want her daughter with her.

The thing is if you take into consideration who has the more stable life right now, it's Callie.

People are angry at Callie because she is dating Penny.  Penny may not be who they want her with but she's doing nothing wrong dating her.

Arizona is dating random women.  She lives with an intern who also brings women home.

Arizona is the one who apparently starts the ball rolling so if there is any anger to be had, it should be directed towards the one who initiates this whole situation.

Although at this point, until we have more information I don't understand why people are already throwing shade at Callie.

It goes to show that people just need the hint of something to come down on her even though Arizona seems to have her share of the blame in the situation to come.

It's crazy. The last time they had a scene together (just the two of them) was, I believe, 12x12. I genuinely thought things were looking up before that: I thought they had some good stuff in 12x03, started discussing long-overdue issues in 12x08, and then got some nice subtle scenes in 12x10... then nothing. 12x12 basically put them on pause, so we're just supposed to believe that they're happy but essentially in arrested development. I'm totally fine with Jo not wanting to be engaged, given how he's treated her at times, but it'd be nice to have seen them at least talk about it. Or give them a sex scene rather then just having them both mention to their friends that they're having great sex. Ben and Bailey got a scene discussing why he didn't apply for the grant, but Alex and Jo didn't get one discussing what would happen if she did get it. 

I was glad to see the Jo / Meredith resolution (though I know not everyone was happy with it), and I thought that after that they would have Alex and Jo start to move on, but then they just disappeared into the background. Oddly enough, this year has endeared me to Jo more than I ever have been, if only because I felt bad to see her being shit on so much early on and I liked when she started standing up for herself. Now I have no doubt that there's nothing ahead for them this season aside from her accepting the proposal in the finale. I think we'll see lots of Alex supporting Arizona through her upcoming hardships and that's it. I really, really wonder what Camilla thinks, especially after being given quite a bit of focus in S9 and S10. 

Shonda very clearly stated before the season started that behind-the-scenes issues caused their stories to be put on hold last year, and that we'd be diving back into Alex / Jo this year. So much for that. I'd honestly have rather seen a full-on breakup in 12x08 even if it was only designed to give them some time apart and watch them work back together (it's better than nothing.) I don't understand if the writers don't know what to do with them or if they're just complacent. I still think Shonda is just too into her new batch of characters to care, honestly. It's a pity, because Alex is a fan-favourite (clearly) and I think if they took the time to come up with good stories for him and develop Jo more, it would do a lot of good for the series. 

To be completely forthright, I think most people would like more focus on the older cast : Alex, Callie, Arizona, Bailey, Richard than the new cast members.

I think they wanted to give Alex an easy relationship but they are so enamoured with twists and turns, Alex gets shunted to the side.

Edited by North

To be completely forthright, I think most people would like more focus on the older cast : Alex, Callie, Arizona, Bailey, Richard than the new cast members.

I think they wanted to give Alex an easy relationship but they are so enamoured with twists and turns, Alex gets shunted to the side.

Agreed. I definitely think Bailey has been short-changed for years, and Callie, Arizona, and Alex haven't been given much substantial to do since S10. I think S11 was just a huge mess all around, and I think this year is a big step up, but its biggest weakness for me is too many characters which leads to extremely disjointed storytelling. Amelia / Owen has been a ridiculously repetitive merry-go-round, for example. I actually like Riggs, but his story with Owen has been stopping and starting for months without any real movement, and now it's just boring. I won't even start with Penny... 

I'm all for new blood when needed, it keeps things exciting - but not at the expense of the rest of the cast. We don't need 2 - 4 new players every time one regular leaves. Steph has been around for years and she's fine, but she's never been integrated well with the cast. I don't hate her scenes, but I can't help but wish they were spent on characters that I actually care about. Rather than bringing in Deluca for Maggie, for example, I wish they had bothered to really delve into what it was like for Richard to discover he had a daughter, but they never really did that. 

Edited by BaseOps

Um, just wondering.  Why is it okay for Arizona to challenge Callie for custody, or keeping Sofia in state but not okay for Callie to want to be with Sofia?  Both are valid and both have value?  Plus, we've no idea how this is going to play out.  Even if it is court and the judge sides with one or the other, it doesn't mean that is how things will ultimately pan out.  Plus, the judge may deny whoever is listed as plaintiff and refer them to Child services or whatever the equivalent is in Washington and have them work out custody an visitation.  Of course, we've no idea what's happening until it happens.  Then, it is what is it and we move on, as I'm sure Greys' will move on.   :)

Agreed. I definitely think Bailey has been short-changed for years, and Callie, Arizona, and Alex haven't been given much substantial to do since S10. I think S11 was just a huge mess all around, and I think this year is a big step up, but its biggest weakness for me is too many characters which leads to extremely disjointed storytelling. Amelia / Owen has been a ridiculously repetitive merry-go-round, for example. I actually like Riggs, but his story with Owen has been stopping and starting for months without any real movement, and now it's just boring. I won't even start with Penny... 

I'm all for new blood when needed, it keeps things exciting - but not at the expense of the rest of the cast. We don't need 2 - 4 new players every time one regular leaves. Steph has been around for years and she's fine, but she's never been integrated well with the cast. I don't hate her scenes, but I can't help but wish they were spent on characters that I actually care about. Rather than bringing in Deluca for Maggie, for example, I wish they had bothered to really delve into what it was like for Richard to discover he had a daughter, but they never really did that. 

I was thinking some would go away after their residency ended.  Problem is, they've got Jo with Alex, Ben with Bailey.  That leaved Deluca and Stephanie from the resident line of the chart.  Stephanie (JH) may go if the pilot is picked up.  Not feeling a Deluca exit only because they chose to make him a regular.  Why bring him on only to send him off?  Plus, if someone does leave (besides JH) it seems to be tradition to bring new in, or make existing guests / recurring player regulars (side-eyeing Penny here).  Frustrating!

Um, just wondering.  Why is it okay for Arizona to challenge Callie for custody, or keeping Sofia in state but not okay for Callie to want to be with Sofia?  Both are valid and both have value?  Plus, we've no idea how this is going to play out. 

You're basing this off of nothing that's happened so far.

The fact of the matter is if Callie wants to leave, she has every right to want her daughter with her.  I agree that Arizona also has every right to want her daughter with her.

The thing is if you take into consideration who has the more stable life right now, it's Callie.

People are angry at Callie because she is dating Penny.  Penny may not be who they want her with but she's doing nothing wrong dating her.

Arizona is dating random women.  She lives with an intern who also brings women home.

Arizona is the one who apparently starts the ball rolling so if there is any anger to be had, it should be directed towards the one who initiates this whole situation.

Although at this point, until we have more information I don't understand why people are already throwing shade at Callie.

I think it depends on how it all goes down... 

If it starts as Arizona just wanting some legal standing to make sure she gets to share custody with Callie, and Callie fights her on that then I would be fully on Arizona's side. 

If it starts with Arizona wanting sole custody, then I would find it harder to support her on that. 

I don't see any reason why Callie would challenge it if Arizona wants joint custody or wants her access & visitation rights laid out legally. So if that is the route they go down then it would be a total character assassination on Callie. 

• Love 1

I think it depends on how it all goes down...

If it starts as Arizona just wanting some legal standing to make sure she gets to share custody with Callie, and Callie fights her on that then I would be fully on Arizona's side.

If it starts with Arizona wanting sole custody, then I would find it harder to support her on that.

I don't see any reason why Callie would challenge it if Arizona wants joint custody or wants her access & visitation rights laid out legally. So if that is the route they go down then it would be a total character assassination on Callie.

True, just like Arizona going for sole custody would be a character assassination.

But as explained Arizona makes the first move whatever it is and yet Callie is getting heat.

We don't know what's happening yet so I don't get the anger towards Callie.

Also, if Callie wants to move, I get the sense people feel she should just willingly relinquish custody to Arizona.

They are both her mothers and both have every right to want her with them without being looked at like a monster.

• Love 1

This is the same thing that happened last year. Shonda starts the season saying how Jo and Alex are going to be a big part of the storytelling, they start a plot and then either just completely drop it or slap on an ending that very clearly isn't where the storyline was heading.  I get that they had to write PD out last year and and they weren't the only ones who got shortchanged, but most of those other characters got significant stuff to do this season (Jackson, April, and Owen for example.) Callie still hasn't gotten much other than the simply dreadful stuff about Penny, and Richard gets nothing either, but Arizona got the Geena Davis arc last season and has gotten a decent amount of storyline this season, even if most of it is lighthearted (dating) or mixed up with other storylines.  And she will get some good stuff coming up, as will Callie it seems.  It is just Alex and Jo (and Richard) AGAIN.  And popularity doesn't seem to be an issue considering Penny is fucking everywhere all the time, and Alex is popular even if Jo isn't.   I imagine that Camilla is frustrated, but Justin is probably fine with coming in commenting on Meredith or Maggie's lives, cashing his paycheck and having a family life.  Even he, though, has expressed boredom with doing the same old thing all the time and wanting Alex to settle down and start a family.  I have never wanted an unexpected pregnancy line for Alex and Jo, but god help me if that's what it takes, then sign me up.  At least then they can't ignore it, although that's what I thought about a "breakup" and a proposal.  

I assume that they will get at least one scene in the last two episodes if nothing else, but there are so many other loose ends to tie up that I don't expect more than one with Jo putting the ring on.  And I get that the huge cast is the reason for the uneven storytelling, but what I don't get is why it is the same characters that seem to get shortchanged every single time.  They seem to juggle everyone else out pretty well.  Maybe they just keep telling themselves that Justin will always be there so they will concentrate on him "next" season, at least until the next issue comes up every "next" season.

• Love 2

This is the same thing that happened last year. Shonda starts the season saying how Jo and Alex are going to be a big part of the storytelling, they start a plot and then either just completely drop it or slap on an ending that very clearly isn't where the storyline was heading.  I get that they had to write PD out last year and and they weren't the only ones who got shortchanged, but most of those other characters got significant stuff to do this season (Jackson, April, and Owen for example.) Callie still hasn't gotten much other than the simply dreadful stuff about Penny, and Richard gets nothing either, but Arizona got the Geena Davis arc last season and has gotten a decent amount of storyline this season, even if most of it is lighthearted (dating) or mixed up with other storylines.  And she will get some good stuff coming up, as will Callie it seems.  It is just Alex and Jo (and Richard) AGAIN.  And popularity doesn't seem to be an issue considering Penny is fucking everywhere all the time, and Alex is popular even if Jo isn't.   I imagine that Camilla is frustrated, but Justin is probably fine with coming in commenting on Meredith or Maggie's lives, cashing his paycheck and having a family life.  Even he, though, has expressed boredom with doing the same old thing all the time and wanting Alex to settle down and start a family.  I have never wanted an unexpected pregnancy line for Alex and Jo, but god help me if that's what it takes, then sign me up.  At least then they can't ignore it, although that's what I thought about a "breakup" and a proposal.  

I assume that they will get at least one scene in the last two episodes if nothing else, but there are so many other loose ends to tie up that I don't expect more than one with Jo putting the ring on.  And I get that the huge cast is the reason for the uneven storytelling, but what I don't get is why it is the same characters that seem to get shortchanged every single time.  They seem to juggle everyone else out pretty well.  Maybe they just keep telling themselves that Justin will always be there so they will concentrate on him "next" season, at least until the next issue comes up every "next" season.

I'd say you could throw Bailey in there with Richard, Alex, and Jo, but otherwise I totally agree. Steph and Ben are basically in the same boat, but it seems they're both getting something to do now, and at least Steph has been given hints of professional growth over the past two years, whereas Jo has been given literally nothing. 

I've said this before, but I think that if they were so intent on keeping the cast this huge then they should have focused on cutting the season into two halves with shifting focus - keeping half the cast as supporting players in the first half, then giving those characters some type of recurring story in the back half while the rest of the cast then works as the supporting players. It would have allowed them to tell the same stories but without so much stopping-and-starting, and with more room for other characters to get focus. Something like this: 

Episode 1 - 12 focus heavily on (totally just an example): 

Meredith / Amelia / Owen / Riggs / Maggie / DeLuca / April / Jackson / Richard

Episode 13 - 24 focus heavily on: 

Meredith / Alex / Jo / Steph / Callie / Arizona / Bailey / Ben 

Now, Amelia and Owen, etc. would still be present in the second half, but given less focus - rather than splitting their stories up into these choppy, drawn-out arcs, they could really focus on a batch of characters at a time and give them interesting stories. This would also mean we'd need less of the character-centric episodes that tend to break up the storytelling even more, because every character would be given actual focus for a decent period of time. I've really enjoyed a lot of this season, so it's especially annoying to have issues present - like the lack of an actual story for many of my favourite characters - that could have been easily fixed. 

And I get that the huge cast is the reason for the uneven storytelling, but what I don't get is why it is the same characters that seem to get shortchanged every single time.  They seem to juggle everyone else out pretty well.  Maybe they just keep telling themselves that Justin will always be there so they will concentrate on him "next" season, at least until the next issue comes up every "next" season.

I agree, it goes beyond the size of the cast. The last time Alex,Jo or Jolex had decent story is when Tony Phelan & Joan Rater were the showrunners. Once Stacy McKee and Bill Harper took over the were pushed into the background. Yes, exits and backstage issues were also going on but I don't believe that in two seasons they couldn't manage to squeeze in an arc for these characters. They certainly had no issue giving Maggie plenty.  Her fourth episode with the show was Maggie-centric. How long did other characters have to wait to have an episode focused on them? Amelia has had plenty of story.  Penny isn't even a regular cast member and they find plenty of time for her. Wilmer is a guest star and he appears to be getting a bigger, ongoing arc than Alex, Jo or Jolex has had in 2 seasons.  I can give them a pass on S11 but not S12. If they had no interest in writing for Alex/Jo/Jolex than they shouldn't have given that interview acknowledging the lack of story in S11 telling everyone that Jolex would be getting story and focus in S12. What changed from that interview until the season started? Its not only Alex & Jo but Alex & Jo were the ones they stated would have focus this season.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 3

I agree, it goes beyond the size of the cast. The last time Alex,Jo or Jolex had decent story is when Tony Phelan & Joan Rater were the showrunners. Once Stacy McKee and Bill Harper took over the were pushed into the background. Yes, exits and backstage issues were also going on but I don't believe that in two seasons they couldn't manage to squeeze in an arc for these characters. They certainly had no issue giving Maggie plenty.  Her fourth episode with the show was Maggie-centric. How long did other characters have to wait to have an episode focused on them? Amelia has had plenty of story.  Penny isn't even a regular cast member and they find plenty of time for her. Wilmer is a guest star and he appears to be getting a bigger, ongoing arc than Alex, Jo or Jolex has had in 2 seasons.  I can give them a pass on S11 but not S12. If they had no interest in writing for Alex/Jo/Jolex than they shouldn't have given that interview acknowledging the lack of story in S11 telling everyone that Jolex would be getting story and focus in S12. What changed from that interview until the season started? Its not only Alex & Jo but Alex & Jo were the ones they stated would have focus this season.

I think a lot of it comes down to Shonda giving all of the attention to her shiny new favourites. She has a tendency to add new characters and, rather than giving them time to integrate with the cast, she shoves them down our throats. Like you said, Maggie got a centric episode within weeks of joining the show. Now, rather than giving any attention to Alex and Jo, they created a romance for Maggie by adding DeLuca. Amelia dominated the storytelling for a lot of last year and has again this year, and now Penny has come in and gotten more to do than just about anyone else this season in terms of how frequently she's involved in storylines. With Wilmer, I'd say that story is more about Steph because he's a patient and I think will essentially be some type of prop for whatever they want Steph to go through at the end of this season. But I get what you mean.

So I don't think it's just the cast size, I just think that's a major part of it. If Maggie, Amelia, Penny, Deluca, Riggs, etc. hadn't been added, then I think Alex, Jo, Callie, Bailey, Ben, etc. would have naturally been given something more to do throughout the year. But yea, it's totally subjective... What's most puzzling to me is what exactly Shonda had in mind when she said made that statement at the start of this season. I dug up her quotes: 

“We had a lot of stories we wanted to tell with them last season, and I promised the fans, ‘We’re going to tell all these Alex and Jo stories… ,'” series creator Shonda Rhimes tells TVLine. “And then we had to take a left turn because Patrick [Dempsey] was leaving. And now we want to tell a lot of those stories — except in a lighter way. So there’s a real focus on them this season.”

As Rhimes acknowledges, viewers haven’t really “gotten to know” them as a couple — or, for that matter, as individuals. “I feel like we didn’t get to know Jo the way we should,” says the EP. “And Alex is sort of a grown man now; it’s time to watch that happen.”

I mean, does she really think she's given Alex and Jo focus? Was her idea of focus the Alex-centric third episode? Or was there more planned that got cut (again)? Was she just blowing smoke out of her butt to appease fans? How have we gotten to know them at all as a couple this year? There's no doubt that the writers could easily give Alex / Jo a storyline at any point if they wanted to, no one is arguing that - it's their job to come up with stories for these characters, but they continue to just back-burner them. The big question, for me, is why. 

Edited by BaseOps

LOL at saying she wanted to make things lighter this season. Nothing says light like bringing back the doctor who "killed" Derek, having Meredith attacked, Ben and Bailey at odds, Callie and Arizona about to be at odds, Jo and Alex at odds over the proposal, Amelia and Owen's never ending torture cycle.

"Light"

• Love 4

LOL at saying she wanted to make things lighter this season. Nothing says light like bringing back the doctor who "killed" Derek, having Meredith attacked, Ben and Bailey at odds, Callie and Arizona about to be at odds, Jo and Alex at odds over the proposal, Amelia and Owen's never ending torture cycle.

"Light"

Also Jackson and April getting divorced, her feeling betrayed by her best friend and possibly taken to court. The story of Nathan and Owen's sister. Amelia relapsing. Maggie getting her hopes up for DeLuca only to be ghosted etc. Light!

As for Callie and Arizona, I just don't see how both can get out of this looking good. If Arizona wants parenting rigths, why would Callie deny her? It wouldn't look good. On the other hand, if Arizona's suing for full custody, it's unreasonable and Callie definitely should be pissed about it. And if it's about her going away with Penny for a year and taking Sofia along, can't they talk it through and come up with some kind of solution, having them visit each other as often as possible? 

We'll have to see how it plays out, of course, but it doesn't look promising. 

• Love 2

Shonda may still have control but it appears that Debbie Allen and Bill & Stacy are running the show now so I don't think its fair to place all the blame on just Shonda. Shonda seems pretty hands off at Grey's these days. I'm not sure sue really has favorites other than Meredith.

As someone else pointed out (Deanie87 I think) those characters (except DeLuca who was added to give Maggie a love interest) were all added to create a new family/circle for Meredith after Derek and Cristina left. All she had was Alex and sometimes Callie since she barely speaks to Richard, Bailey, Arizona, April, Jackson, etc. So yes, the increase in cast size for Meredith when they decided she would be the sun is part of it, others all were pushed aside. Look at Callie. She drank wine and talked about sex in the group chats and that was pretty much it until she showed up with Penny. 

That's true, I don't mean to put the blame on Shonda per say, I guess I should have just said 'the writers' (I don't really know how involved Shonda is at all, at this point.) I just think its a tendency that this show has to bring in new characters and make them prominent too quickly (for my taste.) No doubt Maggie was brought in to circle around Meredith, I don't know if I totally agree about Amelia though. When she first came on I think it was due to the fact that Shonda loved the character on PP and she wanted to continue her story on Grey's. Her storyline when she first came on was more with Derek than anyone (then Owen and Steph) and it wasn't until after Derek died that they pushed her "sister" story with Meredith. I do certainly think the Maggie / Amelia / Mer thing has been incredibly forced and annoying, and it's probably my least favourite aspect of this season (aside from Penny.)

But Riggs, Deluca, and Ben were all made regulars this year and they have little to nothing to do with Meredith. Penny did at first, but her story now is largely with Callie / Amelia / Steph. And it's a pattern this show has followed for years, not just since Meredith became 'the sun'. In season 6 after losing George, we got all of the Mercy Westers + Teddy. In S9 after losing Mark and Lexie we got Leah, Shane, Jo and Stephanie. 

Either way, even if we had 20 regular characters, someone has to get focus, right? I guess the bottom line that we can all agree on is that they've chosen not to put any real focus on Alex and Jo for whatever reason. April and Jackson get plenty of stories and, like you said, they don't really interact with Meredith at all. I totally respect your opinion and I can see where you're coming from, but personally I don't think Alex's lack of story has anything to do with him being Meredith's "person". There have been a million opportunities to write for Jolex and they've chosen not to. Whatever the reason is, it's frustrating. I'm happy to see Alex supporting Arizona in whatever they have coming up for her, but he shouldn't just be around to be everyones best friend. 

Hopefully they surprise us and give them something meaty in the last few episodes, but I won't hold my breath.

"Light"

Shonda's perception of "light" is certainly very questionable lol. I guess it's generally a bit lighter than the back-half of last year, if only because they haven't had anyone killed in a while (but there's always time for that.) My biggest problem is when they try to go "light" these days, they tend to go way over-the-top, like the 'sister' stuff early in the year. The show used to be great at showing nice, small moments in the everyday lives of these doctors, but now most of the 'comedy' is way over-the-top and just distracts from any sense of reality. 

Edited by BaseOps

TVLine Scoop:

I’m guessing that on Grey’s Anatomy, Callie will want to take Sofia and move across the country to be with Penny, and that’s what will cause the Calzona tension. Please tell me all is not lost for Calzona.—Ashley
I can tell you that you are an A-plus guesstimator, because Callie will indeed mull moving to New York with Penny. But what’s interesting is that as she ponders that big decision, I hear she will take into consideration not just its potential impact on Sofia, but on Arizona, too.

Well, looks like the speculation is correct, custody battle here we come.  Of course Callie has to think about both Arizona and Sofia, so not much of a "scoop."  I still can't believe that Callie would even consider uprooting Sofia and taking Arizona to court over Penny's one year grant, how lame and disappointing.  

Edited by Kate213
  • Love 1

TVLine Scoop:

I’m guessing that on Grey’s Anatomy, Callie will want to take Sofia and move across the country to be with Penny, and that’s what will cause the Calzona tension. Please tell me all is not lost for Calzona.—Ashley

I can tell you that you are an A-plus guesstimator, because Callie will indeed mull moving to New York with Penny. But what’s interesting is that as she ponders that big decision, I hear she will take into consideration not just its potential impact on Sofia, but on Arizona, too.

Well, looks like the speculation is correct, custody battle here we come. Of course Callie has to consider both Arizona and Sofia, so not much of a "scoop." I still can't believe that Callie would even consider uprooting Sofia and taking Arizona to court over Penny's one year grant, how lame and disappointing.

Grey's version of drama.

Utter disappointment.