Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Speculation: Benchmarking

• Start Topic

What's weird is that we know that in this episode or the one right after there is an ambulance explosion. That seemed like the most likely explanation for what happens to Meredith until these actresses spoke. Lots and lots of people are speculating now that Meredith is raped from the way they phrased things, but that doesn't seem right to me. We know that there's another person on the floor behind her, so she isn't the only one affected by the 'attack'. We also know that it occurs at the hospital, and from the looks of Meredith she's disoriented and seems to have blood all over (hands, face, etc.) The only thing I can think of is that it really is an insane attack where an ambulance explodes and then Meredith is taken away and raped / beaten, but that seems HIGHLY unlikely and over-the-top. I think the incident will occur before the first act break and then the rest of the episode will be after-math.

The only other obscure bit of info I could think of was Cross (the blonde intern) mentioning in an interview that he has some big medical jargon at some point. He said it was quite huge, and he knew that he had to learn it all and that it wasn't going to be used because it would cut to a Meredith voiceover. So if Cross is in it, I'm guessing the whole cast will at least be featured somehow. Especially with Denzel directing I'm sure they wanted every regular to get to be on set. I'm still having trouble justifying how they could have Owen (or any other regular) hurt Meredith so badly without having them leave immediately after.

• Love 2

I think it will be a patient also, or some never before seen hospital employee. I guess maybe Owen, but it would have to be in the midst of some crazy PTSD episode, but even then, that is a lot to put on a character.

Here's a wild thought. What if it's Jo? She has known history of violence and it could set up huge ramifications for Alex and jolex as a couple. It could also set up an exit for Camilla. Ive heard tons of chatter on Twitter she could be looking to move on.

I am as tired of the Mer/Alex/Jo "triangle" as I am of the Perils of Meredith Grey, so I really hope not. I don't think that Jo would ever, ever come back from that, regardless of what happened between her and Alex. Not to mention, if Jo hasn't slapped Meredith silly by now, I don't think it is going to happen. However, they could be setting up a way for Jo and Meredith to connect, considering they have hinted at Jo being the victim of violent (and probably sexual) assault. I wouldn't mind that so much.

While I wouldn't blame Camilla for wanting to move on, I would be very surprised if she left willingly.

• Love 1

Here's a wild thought. What if it's Jo? She has known history of violence and it could set up huge ramifications for Alex and jolex as a couple. It could also set up an exit for Camilla. Ive heard tons of chatter on Twitter she could be looking to move on.

It would certainly fit the norm where the writers continue to trash the character.

I agree with Deanie thugh I'd be surprised if Camilla left willingly. She seems to love her job despite the lack of storyline her character gets.

Is this the same episode we see Zola again?  No, I'm not suspecting Zola:) (but, hmmm).  Maybe she's attacked by a nanny that had to come in after Amelia left the house (thus causing Amelia's guilt), maybe someone is trying to take Zola from the hospital nursery and attacks Meredith as they try to break out? Something like that?

And I echo the above, please god, no rape or sexual assault.

Edited by pennben

It would certainly fit the norm where the writers continue to trash the character.

I agree with Deanie thugh I'd be surprised if Camilla left willingly. She seems to love her job despite the lack of storyline her character gets.

I agree, she does seem very happy to be on the show and constantly talks about it on twitter, live tweets, etc.  I actually don't think she will leave, just that if she did want to it would be an interesting exit.  I don't think that Camilla would want to go out as the "bad guy" though. Like I said, it was a crazy thought :)

There's basically no saving a character from this so it will be a heavy burden on whoever it is (if it is a regular/semi-regular)

Is this the same episode we see Zola again?  No, I'm not suspecting Zola:) (but, hmmm).  Maybe she's attacked by a nanny that had to come in after Amelia left the house (thus causing Amelia's guilt), maybe someone is trying to take Zola from the hospital nursery and attacks Meredith as they try to break out? Something like that?

And I echo the above, please god, no rape or sexual assault.

I don't think anyone knows for sure what episode we'll see Zola, just that it's airing in Feb.   I don't think the attack will come in/near the daycare because Meredith is wearing a yellow trauma gown, which they usually put on when the patients are coming in.  

I wonder where the mask/makeup part from Ellen's instagram post will come in.  Her face looks banged up on the stretcher but not prothetic makeup bad.   

There's no way a regular would get away with this and it's not the end of the season and a way to write someone off the show. it's got to be someone we haven't seen before or a very minor character. 

• Love 2

There's no way a regular would get away with this and it's not the end of the season and a way to write someone off the show. it's got to be someone we haven't seen before or a very minor character. 

That's a good point but Owen did choke Cristina. If there's a legitimate reason like PTSD or Amelia's alcoholism they could get away with it. I think it'll be a patient though.

I'm wondering how the face mask fits in too.

I thought about Amelia as well, but from the sound of it appears to be way to drastic to simply be brushed aside like it happened with Owen and Cristina. Of course, it could also be less dramatic than they're making it out to be. 

If it's really Owen, it's clearly overkill at this point after the choking episode and it ought to have severe repercussions for his character. I don't see it happen now that he has a major SL of his own going on. 

I also considered her half-sister (Molly?) or Thatcher, but I hope even the show realizes that piling up the heap of Meredith's family tragedy would be simply grotesque at this point.

It could be a nurse or a previously unseen doctor having a psychotic outburst or something.

Edited by Joana

I thought about Amelia as well, but from the sound of it appears to be way to drastic to simply be brushed aside like it happened with Owen and Cristina. Of course, it could also be less dramatic than they're making it out to be. 

If it's really Owen, it's clearly overkill at this point after the choking episode and it ought to have severe repercussions for his character. I don't see it happen now that he has a major SL of his own going on. 

I also considered her half-sister (Molly?) or Thatcher, but I hope even the show realizes that piling up the heap of Meredith's family tragedy would be simply grotesque at this point.

It could be a nurse or a previously unseen doctor having a psychotic outburst or something.

Scorsone did say Amelia feels somehow responsible for Meredith´s misfortune, I think she will have something to do with it, though she will not be the attacker but will be aware of the attacker somehow.

From  what the Greys cast says I understand they are there to promote at any cost but still all the words they use constantly like brutal and all the synonyms of the same word they use. I think it is too much.

It is odd that not a single word from Pompeo on Meredith´s fate who the storyline concerns the most.

I dislike brutality on tv in any form, the shooter episode was gruesome enough. Why can´t writers let go of some brutal attacks?

I think the attack will leave Meredith´s hearing impaired and she won´t be able to hear anything and maybe a part of her face will be somehow deformed - maybe the right part as she is lying on he floor.

Edited by Nobodysfan

This could probably go in media but putting here because there will probably be additional spoilers & discussion (please move if that's not ok)

"Grey's Anatomy" Stars Tease Terrifying Mid-Season Premiere

The way they are talking about it makes me think she's going to be like Lucy Knight/John Carter on ER - is attacked and isn't found immediately. They say she can't help herself which would fit with being badly injured and unable to move. Maybe there will be more spoilers this week.

Edited by windsprints

Scorsone did say Amelia feels somehow responsible for Meredith´s misfortune, I think she will have something to do with it, though she will not be the attacker but will be aware of the attacker somehow.

Perhaps she failed to warn her about the danger or fled the scene and left her there. 

• Love 1

This could probably go in media but putting here because there will probably be additional spoilers & discussion (please move if that's not ok)

"Grey's Anatomy" Stars Tease Terrifying Mid-Season Premiere

The way they are talking about it makes me think she's going to be like Lucy Knight/John Carter on ER - is attacked and isn't found immediately. They say she can't help herself which would fit with being badly injured and unable to move. Maybe there will be more spoilers this week.

I wonder if we will get yet another time jump after this episode since from filming reports, I believe Meredith appeared to be physically fine in the following episode and then the fallout is psychological. Edited by Evie

It has been a lot of focus on the relationship between Riggs and Hunt. In 12.08 Amelia tried hard to find out what happend between them. The scene between Meredith and Amelia  showed how important  it was for her to find out. She may have talked to Riggs about it in the bar and he may have told her the story. If she is talking to Owen about it without telling him who told her the story he may think Meredith revealed their secret.  I think Owen`s PSTD flares up because he thinks Mer has revealed their secret to Amelia this causes he attacks her just like he nearly choked Christina. Amelia therefore feels responsible.

• Love 1

It has been a lot of focus on the relationship between Riggs and Hunt. In 12.08 Amelia tried hard to find out what happend between them. The scene between Meredith and Amelia  showed how important  it was for her to find out. She may have talked to Riggs about it in the bar and he may have told her the story. If she is talking to Owen about it without telling him who told her the story he may think Meredith revealed their secret.  I think Owen`s PSTD flares up because he thinks Mer has revealed their secret to Amelia this causes he attacks her just like he nearly choked Christina. Amelia therefore feels responsible.

It makes sense to me.  It seems pretty realistic, we already saw how Hunt brutally punched Riggs, he has that violence in him either PTSD related or it  is just that he has that aggression in himself.

But would  Rhimes make Hunt the attacker? She would bury Hunt´s character in this way if he attacked beloved Meredith in such a gruesome way. McKidd wants to continue on Greys forever it seems so Hunt is not going anywhere.

However, there is some sort of explosion of the ambulance or near the ambulance and it seems another man is lying on the floor behind Meredith - maybe a paramedic, so maybe the attacker is a patient or sb who comes with the patient in the ambulance.

Edited by Nobodysfan

It has been a lot of focus on the relationship between Riggs and Hunt. In 12.08 Amelia tried hard to find out what happend between them. The scene between Meredith and Amelia showed how important it was for her to find out. She may have talked to Riggs about it in the bar and he may have told her the story. If she is talking to Owen about it without telling him who told her the story he may think Meredith revealed their secret. I think Owen`s PSTD flares up because he thinks Mer has revealed their secret to Amelia this causes he attacks her just like he nearly choked Christina. Amelia therefore feels responsible.

The way Caterina worded it made it sound like Amelia feels responsible because she always feels responsible for bad things happening, not that she was involved in any way or knew anything.

• Love 2

Perhaps she failed to warn her about the danger or fled the scene and left her there. 

It is one of the possibilities indeed. 

Drew said maybe by mistake that Meredith is paralysed -but didn´t really make it clear  if  it is mentally or physically. Maybe it is a real spoiler and she said too much.

Edited by Nobodysfan

It makes sense to me.  It seems pretty realistic, we already saw how Hunt brutally punched Riggs, he has that violence in him either PTSD related or it  is just that he has that aggression in himself.

But would  Rhimes make Hunt the attacker? She would bury Hunt´s character in this way if he attacked beloved Meredith in such a gruesome way. McKidd wants to continue on Greys forever it seems so Hunt is not going anywhere.

I agree that it kind of makes sense, but I don't think Shonda would go there. I also agree that it would bury Owen's character, because it would be impossible to redeem his character if such a brutal and gruesome thing happened.

Owen was never my favorite character but this would be unfair. Kevin/Owen would get so much hate from so many people on social media.

IMO the attacker is going to be a patient, somebody with a mental disorder or something. An schizophrenic? Someone with Dissociative Identity Disorder? That way we would never see it coming since the person would have two different personalities. I don't know. I just hope it's not rape because that would be too much.

It is one of the possibilities indeed.

Drew said maybe by mistake that Meredith is paralysed -but didn´t really make it clear  if  it is mentally or physically. Maybe it is a real spoiler and she said too much.

Well, Meredith was in a wheelchair in that video, so perhaps she'll be paralysed for a while but not forever?

• Love 2

I agree that it kind of makes sense, but I don't think Shonda would go there. I also agree that it would bury Owen's character, because it would be impossible to redeem his character if such a brutal and gruesome thing happened.

Owen was never my favorite character but this would be unfair. Kevin/Owen would get so much hate from so many people on social media.

IMO the attacker is going to be a patient, somebody with a mental disorder or something. An schizophrenic? Someone with Dissociative Identity Disorder? That way we would never see it coming since the person would have two different personalities. I don't know. I just hope it's not rape because that would be too much.

Well, Meredith was in a wheelchair in that video, so perhaps she'll be paralysed for a while but not forever?

Yes, the wheelchair she was in pushed by Miranda in that little video we saw - so it is maybe physical paralysis.

I do hope just like you it is not a rape.

I am beginning to think the way Pompeo seems very excited about 1209 that the storyline will be very dramatic and appealing for her as an actress,so I do believe she will give a performance worth watching.

Edited by Nobodysfan
  • Love 1

From TVLine's Winter Preview: 

Speaking of the mysterious Owen-Nathan kerfuffle — the winter finale revealed that the duo's beef somehow involves a sister we never knew Owen had — Kevin McKidd hints that the truth "starts coming out" around Episode 14. The prevailing theory? Owen's sister is dead and Nathan played a role in it. "It does appear that it's a death," concedes McKidd. "But it's more ambiguous than that. There's nothing definite about the fate of his sister."

So episode 9 - 13 are likely heavily focused on the fallout of whatever happens with Meredith. We already also had James Pickens say on the PCA red carpet that the next "three or four episodes" are dealing with the effects of 9, so that sounds right. I don't think they'll stall every storyline, but clearly we won't be getting any major answers about the Owen / Nathan situation for a few episodes. 

From TVLine's Winter Preview: 

So episode 9 - 13 are likely heavily focused on the fallout of whatever happens with Meredith. We already also had James Pickens say on the PCA red carpet that the next "three or four episodes" are dealing with the effects of 9, so that sounds right. I don't think they'll stall every storyline, but clearly we won't be getting any major answers about the Owen / Nathan situation for a few episodes. 

At least we know we won't have a huge time jump again. I like the fact that episode 9 is not a standalone episode, because I want the new "trauma" to be properly addressed and I think it will be since Meredith is going to see a therapist and all.

I'm now geniunely interested in what happens to Meredith. Damn you, show! 

So it better not be anything stupid like someone yelling at her and her slipping and falling down and everything resulting in a few bruises and a couple of stitches.

I don't know, for some reason I just can't see anything too outreagous happen to her, which is a good thing as we've had more than a fair share of that. I just hope it's something that makes sense. 

Oh, lord god in heaven, it's going to be the ghost of Derek!:)  Bringing this notion over from the media thread, as apparently Dempsey is leaving racing to focus on his acting.  And I hope I'm only being silly about the ghost theory and not prescient.  

Oh, lord god in heaven, it's going to be the ghost of Derek!

You guys need to stop with the return of Denny & ghost of Derek. Please!  All joking aside, I can't see Dempsey ever appearing again on Grey's. I could be wrong but the way everything seemed to have gone down there's no love lost all around.

Meredith was in a wheelchair in that video, so perhaps she'll be paralysed for a while but not forever?

Paralyzed, unable to help herself, no control - all have been referred to, maybe its a combination of emotional and physical. She could be paralyzed with fear/unable to move and have physical injuries. If she had a broken leg/pelvis/knee or something she wouldn't be able to move to get help. I'm hoping its not a paralysis story on top of everything else (she's ok in later episodes going by the pictures). Injuries + emotional trauma is way more than enough.

At least we know we won't have a huge time jump again

Do you think it could be like Callie's recovery from the car accident only spread over more episodes? They skipped through time to give some points in time of her recovery. It doesn't seem like they are going to do the usual "Meredith almost dies but pops back in the next episode completely healed" this time so I'm not sure they can't skip at least a little ahead to have her healed in a reasonable amount of time.

As for Owen's sister, perhaps she and Nathan were involved in an accident of some kind and she went missing.

I think you're right. Is it bad that I automatically think they'll have her be missing just so she can pop up when Riggs inevitably starts dating Meredith?

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 1

It doesn't seem like they are going to do the usual "Meredith almost dies but pops back in the next episode completely healed" this time so I'm not sure they can't skip at least a little ahead to have her healed in a reasonable amount of time.

I think you're right. Is it bad that I automatically think they'll have her be missing just so she can pop up when Riggs inevitably starts dating Meredith?

I don't foresee the show skipping through too much of Meredith's recovery, physical maybe but she's bound to have emotional trauma from this as well, because the season needs more story arcs that will sustain some if not most of the next 16 episodes. They are already dragging the Owen and Nathan drama out, to which the TV Line article said that we won't start getting some info on what happened between them until episode 14, or something ridiculous like that. 

So, yeah, I predict they are going to milk Meredith's trauma for all it's worth. 

So, yeah, I predict they are going to milk Meredith's trauma for all it's worth. 

I agree. I only meant that the timeline would move as its being milked - skip ahead a little between episodes to show progress without it being real time. I guess it depends on the physical injuries and how bad  they are. As for the emotional trauma maybe it will playout like the sessions with the other therapist did. I think she had sessions over multiple episodes didn't she?

They are already dragging the Owen and Nathan drama out, to which the TV Line article said that we won't start getting some info on what happened between them until episode 14, or something ridiculous like that.

I wonder how much story will be in stalled mode until episode 14.  I'm disappointed that the Nathan story won't come back up until 14.  For me, stories lose momentum especially after having waited over a long break.

• Love 2

Paralyzed, unable to help herself, no control - all have been referred to, maybe its a combination of emotional and physical. She could be paralyzed with fear/unable to move and have physical injuries. If she had a broken leg/pelvis/knee or something she wouldn't be able to move to get help. I'm hoping its not a paralysis story on top of everything else (she's ok in later episodes going by the pictures). Injuries + emotional trauma is way more than enough.

Do you think it could be like Callie's recovery from the car accident only spread over more episodes? They skipped through time to give some points in time of her recovery. It doesn't seem like they are going to do the usual "Meredith almost dies but pops back in the next episode completely healed" this time so I'm not sure they can't skip at least a little ahead to have her healed in a reasonable amount of time.

I rewatched the video and it looks like she has a broken leg, so I think you're right and she won't be able to move to get help.

I think so. I'd be okay with that. I'd take issue if we had a time jump like we did with the plane crash.

Ugh, I really, really hope that there is some larger meaning to all of this and that it is going to somehow give focus to this season because there is not one thing so far that interests me about this.  Owen has a PTSD flare up, Meredith is a victim of some tragedy and everyone rallies around, Amelia falls off the wagon and gets bugged eyed and screamy.   How about something we haven't already seen for a change?

• Love 4

Well I guess to each their own, because I, for one, am very excited about the upcoming episodes. I think for the first time I'm actually interested in something related to Owen, but I also want to see how all the storylines we have until now will unfold. Even Penny's storyline. I'm really enjoying this season so far.

• Love 2

I feel this season has some potential, but the timing and pacing has been extremely weird. And this long-ass break certainly isn't helping. So, we're only going to start exploring a story several months after it's been first introduced, not to mention also used as a clifhanger of some sort? Why? 

• Love 3

I feel this season has some potential, but the timing and pacing has been extremely weird. And this long-ass break certainly isn't helping. So, we're only going to start exploring a story several months after it's been first introduced, not to mention also used as a clifhanger of some sort? Why? 

I don't think Owen and Riggs will suddenly disappear or that the conflict will be totally side-tracked (at least I hope not), I just think we won't get any actual answers until 14. I'm sure we'll continue to see them interact and get some hints at what happened, but I think the reveal won't happen until later. It's been the way the show works for a while now. There are simply too many stories and characters to deal with. Right now: 

Meredith / Amelia conflict 

Owen / Riggs conflict 

Penny / Meredith / Callie conflict

April / Jackson conflict

Maggie / DeLuca relationship 

Jo / Alex conflict

And then there are about 10 other regulars with no real storylines. 

Well I guess to each their own, because I, for one, am very excited about the upcoming episodes. I think for the first time I'm actually interested in something related to Owen, but I also want to see how all the storylines we have until now will unfold. Even Penny's storyline. I'm really enjoying this season so far.

Ditto. I think they've done great work this year, and I'm especially excited for 12x09. Probably the most excited I've been for a Grey's episode in a while. I really love Meredith, and I think Ellen Pompeo is so underrated as an actress. I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing a great storyline for Meredith and some real challanging work for Ellen. I hope they can keep up the momentum they built in the first 8. Of course, I have plenty of nit-picks, but generally this is the most I've enjoyed the show in a while and I'm eager for it to come back. 

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 2

I will be fine with the next episode (and the aftermath) as long as it advances the story overall and doesn't end up being just a gimmicky one off. If, for example, this attack somehow causes Meredith to get to therapy and lose, or at least explain, that edge that (IMO) has been an unwelcome part of her personality for the past couple of seasons, then great, I"m all for it. If the presumed therapy improves her relationships with other characters and allows them to move on within their OWN story, then it will make sense to me.  

Or if the attacker is known to us (Owen, Penny, Cross), then at least the story branches out beyond "yet another thing that happens to Meredith," and it will give that character and those close to him or her something to do (maybe its Cross, he has done nothing except moon over Jo and that has gone nowhere).  If we finally get some real backstory on Owen and his story with Nathan sn't just an excuse for him and Amelia to keep dancing around each other brokenly, or to pave the way for a  Nathan/Meredith hook up, then great.  But I have a feeling that this episode IS going to end up being "just one more thing that happens to Meredith" and that doesn't excite me, no matter how gimmicky the episode, how well Ellen acts in it or how famous the director.  If what happens to Meredith has real ramifications for a few other characters (and ones that make sense) or the hospital, then I will admit that I underestimated the writers. 

Edited by Deanie87
  • Love 5

However, there is some sort of explosion of the ambulance or near the ambulance and it seems another man is lying on the floor behind Meredith - maybe a paramedic, so maybe the attacker is a patient or sb who comes with the patient in the ambulance.

I have looked at the spoilers again. It it probably not Hunt . It would be very painful to watch,  

Could the exploision be the attack?  Someone is throwing a sort of bomb/explosive  while they are standing waiting for the ambulance. I agree that it could be a patient, relative or  paramedic.  We don`t know if it was Meredith this attack was ment for or if it  she was at the wrong place at the wrong time ? 

The way Caterina worded it made it sound like Amelia feels responsible because she always feels responsible for bad things happening, not that she was involved in any way or knew anything.

Thanks for pointing out this.   Amelia saw her father being shot without possiblity to do anything so this may have caused that she feels responsible (guilty) for bad things happening. .  

Edited by Ilovemydog
  • Love 1

Paralyzed, unable to help herself, no control - all have been referred to, maybe its a combination of emotional and physical. She could be paralyzed with fear/unable to move and have physical injuries.

I wonder if it is some creepy story where she's attacked by someone in the ambulance, who uses something to temporarily paralyze her and torture her (psychologically or otherwise) where she can't do anything to respond.  I just looked back at the spoiler clip, and when she has the oxygen mask on, she's taped to something to presumably support her head, as they do in transport, she has that big reaction to something that happens.  Unlikely, as I think that might be even too creepy of a story to tell.

pennbenn you're going really dark on us! First Ghost Derek and now this :)  I hope the theories that are around the internet are worse than what we'll end up seeing. 

I was eager for the show to return but that's dwindling away. I won't be watching this episode live, if at all.  I enjoyed the first part of this season quite a bit, largely because of the lighter tone. After multiple depressing seasons of this show the last thing I want to watch on Grey's is a women being brutally (their word) attacked. I get they want to give EP some big dramatic arc and disaster/injury is what they almost always use so its not all that surprising they're going this route. Personally I would have rather seen a story about her considering her future relationships. Derek has been dead 1-2 years in Grey's time but a big emotional story still would have made sense for her. It also would have given the audience some of what many believed was lacking in the immediate episodes after Derek died. Instead it will be Meredith almost dying again.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 2

I don't think Owen and Riggs will suddenly disappear or that the conflict will be totally side-tracked (at least I hope not), I just think we won't get any actual answers until 14. I'm sure we'll continue to see them interact and get some hints at what happened, but I think the reveal won't happen until later. It's been the way the show works for a while now. There are simply too many stories and characters to deal with. Right now: 

Meredith / Amelia conflict 

Owen / Riggs conflict 

Penny / Meredith / Callie conflict

April / Jackson conflict

Maggie / DeLuca relationship 

Jo / Alex conflict

And then there are about 10 other regulars with no real storylines. 

That's the thing, there is a lot going on but everything is moving so slowly that it feels like nothing is happening. And they keep adding new characters and new storylines without going anywhere with the old ones, and then there's this huge break that's slowed everything down even more. 

The story about Owen's sister, if we ignore the fact that it's obviously something they've pulled out of their asses, it could actually be interesting. But it's hardly something that's going to keep you on the edge of your seat for months, so to see Owen and Nathan snarking at each other over and over again while not having an idea what it's all about... Of course, we don't know how it's all going to play out, but it seems to me that they could have at least got it out of their way before putting all focus on Meredith again. 

And as far as that is concerend, I'm all with Deanie87. If it's going to have a meaning for Meredith, her relationship with other characters and the show in general, great, go for it. If it's yet another "OMG, something horrible's happened to Meredith" situation, yawzzz. 

• Love 2

I watched the explosion scene again . I think it is a paramedic wheeling a stretcher that falls down to the floor. When I watched the promo again I am not sure if she lays still  and his head hits the floor. I wonder if she is attacked before or during  the explosion. It may be sombody from the ambulance that causes this.When Bailey is wheeling her it looks like her leg and arm is broken.

Zola is coming back. I hope they will adress  Mer`s  fear of dying from her 3 kids. She  talked about this to Christina when Derek was shot. She wanted her to raise them if they both died.   Meredith (Hunt)is bad at communicate with other emotionally. 

I watched the explosion scene again . I think it is a paramedic wheeling a stretcher that falls down to the floor. When I watched the promo again I am not sure if she lays still  and his head hits the floor. I wonder if she is attacked before or during  the explosion. It may be sombody from the ambulance that causes this.When Bailey is wheeling her it looks like her leg and arm is broken.

Zola is coming back. I hope they will adress  Mer`s  fear of dying from her 3 kids. She  talked about this to Christina when Derek was shot. She wanted her to raise them if they both died.   Meredith (Hunt)is bad at communicate with other emotionally. 

• Love 1

Personally I would have rather seen a story about her considering her future relationships. Derek has been dead 1-2 years in Grey's time but a big emotional story still would have made sense for her. It also would have given the audience some of what many believed was lacking in the immediate episodes after Derek died. Instead it will be Meredith almost dying again.

Same. And to tack onto your idea, I'd also like to see her actually trying to balance her demanding career and motherhood. They gave her three children, baby Ellis essentially a Hail Mary consolation prize for killing off Derek, and yet we don't see and barely hear about the kids at all. I much rather see Meredith coping with the idea of falling in love again, questioning whether or not she could or even wants to, and being a single mother.  Her "sisters" aren't going to be living with her forever, at some point they will fall in love and move on with their beaus.  

Unfortunately we get the played out disaster. It's the show's go-to now because why spend time developing thoughtful arcs rooted in realism and giving these actors something to really chew on when they can spin their Wheel of Disasters and produce more episodes for shock value? 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 5

I think we're still going to see Meredith considering her future, maybe falling in love again, and dealing with motherhood and all of that (although I'm still surprised how little they showed that in E1 - 8, so who knows.) I don't think the storylines are mutually exclusive though. Unfortunately this series tends to brush over things. But it seems from early spoilers that whatever this accident / attack is, it will result in her going into therapy which is the best possible thing for her character in my opinion (my favourite Meredith story arc is still the end of S4 when she was with Dr Wyatt.) It's also only episode 9 - which means there are at least 15 more episodes, possibly 16. That's a lot of story to tell.

I would have preferred something other than a disaster, especially so soon after Derek and everything else. There's already so many stalled storylines with unnecessary characters around. But it's happening, and I'm used to it by now. This is a broadcast TV drama run by Shonda Rhimes - there will always be stunts. I just hope this is pulled off with care, and for once I think it might be because they didn't NEED to do it for ratings. It seems like for whatever reason it's a story that Shonda and Ellen want to tell, and there has to be a reason they're doing it so early. I'm hoping I'm right and that it's well-executed and leads somewhere. At the very least, I've never not been entertained by one of their 'disaster' episodes.

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 1

I have looked at the spoilers again. It it probably not Hunt . It would be very painful to watch,  

Could the exploision be the attack?  Someone is throwing a sort of bomb/explosive  while they are standing waiting for the ambulance. I agree that it could be a patient, relative or  paramedic.  We don`t know if it was Meredith this attack was ment for or if it  she was at the wrong place at the wrong time ? 

Thanks for pointing out this.   Amelia saw her father being shot without possiblity to do anything so this may have caused that she feels responsible (guilty) for bad things happening. .  

Well, yes,it would kill Owen as a character. But he comes under suspicion regarding that he can be extremely aggressive.

It is possible Meredith might just be like you suggested at the wrong place at the wrong time because there has been no build-up in the season, we saw nobody  who would hate her for whatever she has done and would attack her on purpose as a kind of revenge. Like the shooter from S6 finale who came to take revenge on Derek.

Edited by Nobodysfan

I hope we will get more scenes to analyse, maybe a full promo finally or at least synopsis and promo pictures but maybe they will omit those  with Meredith on purpose. I think that is a good question whether she is attacked before the explosion or during or just after it. I tend to think it might be the relative of a patient, but would he be in the ambulance or a patient with a mental disorder and paramedics are unable to take control of him or her??? What do you think?

I also think Zola will be in the next episodes,maybe already in 1209. The young actress did say in February episode, did not really specifiy which one or if more than one. Maybe Meredith will be on sick leave - most likely, going to therapy and physiotherapy treatment and stay at home so we will see Zola and the other kids at home with her during the day also with their nanny.

Do correct me if I am wrong, but did Cristina say in S6 finale she would take care of the kids if both  M and D died, but then in S9 she said she would only be a cool aunt not a foster/adoptive parent?

Edited by Nobodysfan
  • Love 1
I just hope this is pulled off with care, and for once I think it might be because they didn't NEED to do it for ratings. It seems like for whatever reason it's a story that Shonda and Ellen want to tell, and there has to be a reason they're doing it so early. I'm hoping I'm right and that it's well-executed and leads somewhere. At the very least, I've never not been entertained by one of their 'disaster' episodes.

I think the reason they are doing it early is for the buzz & ratings. They're coming off a really long break the season following the departure of a main cast member/love interest for the title character. Ratings have been steady but I think "going big" upon return is a smart move since historically Grey's has sometimes returned to lower ratings after the winter break. Its also a chance for them to try to lure some Meredith fans back now that some time has gone by since Derek was killed off.

I'm mixed on the disaster/gimmicky episodes, liked some, disliked others. Personally I thought the ferry arc was a turning point for the show (and not in a good way). I always appreciate Kyle Chandler on my screen but even he couldn't save that for me. I don't even know why I'm so bothered about a character being attacked given some other shows I watch (& that this is on network tv at 8:00) but I am. Maybe I'll change my mind after more spoilers start coming out.

Yes ferry boat was the first time I thought the show went really wrong. I hated Meredith in limbo and it started that whole Alex/Ava arc.

Edited by Marni
  • Love 1

I think Meredith being potentially paralyzed or at least sidelined opens up avenues for storytelling. I now wonder if the lack of focus on her kids was deliberate -- that she was all about her career. I'm wondering if this storyline will show her what it might be like without a career. That if she's decided to be married to her work and that's it -- what if something happened and she didn't have anyone else? It seems like the impetus that might make her realize that it's time to try to find love again (and surprise, surprise -- here's Riggs). What is Meredith if she is not a surgeon, after all? A life-threatening tragedy might be an over-the-top way to do this, but since major media have made jokes about Meredith's missing kids throughout the fall, maybe this is Shonda's response to those criticisms. You want Meredith away from work? Here you go.

I'm also extremely interested in the idea that the story with Riggs' wife/Owen's sister is "more ambiguous" than just she's dead. I wonder if she's braindead or in a coma or something. That would tie back to Derek, and connect Riggs and Meredith even more. If Owen and Riggs disagreed about the sister/wife's care...that might be too far out there, but I'm just stuck on what "more ambiguous" than death actually means. And it would be another way to bring Meredith and Riggs together (if that's their plan).

The only thing I hope, and I'm hoping that Shonda has learned not to do this, is Meredith isn't raped. I forgive Grey's for many things (I actually loved the ferry boat disaster) but I'd just find that really distasteful and wholly unnecessary. If Meredith is raped on top of everything else that's happened to her, she might as well change her name to Dr. Job.

• Love 2

I think Meredith being potentially paralyzed or at least sidelined opens up avenues for storytelling. I now wonder if the lack of focus on her kids was deliberate -- that she was all about her career. I'm wondering if this storyline will show her what it might be like without a career. That if she's decided to be married to her work and that's it -- what if something happened and she didn't have anyone else? It seems like the impetus that might make her realize that it's time to try to find love again (and surprise, surprise -- here's Riggs). What is Meredith if she is not a surgeon, after all? A life-threatening tragedy might be an over-the-top way to do this, but since major media have made jokes about Meredith's missing kids throughout the fall, maybe this is Shonda's response to those criticisms. You want Meredith away from work? Here you go.

I'm also extremely interested in the idea that the story with Riggs' wife/Owen's sister is "more ambiguous" than just she's dead. I wonder if she's braindead or in a coma or something. That would tie back to Derek, and connect Riggs and Meredith even more. If Owen and Riggs disagreed about the sister/wife's care...that might be too far out there, but I'm just stuck on what "more ambiguous" than death actually means. And it would be another way to bring Meredith and Riggs together (if that's their plan).

The only thing I hope, and I'm hoping that Shonda has learned not to do this, is Meredith isn't raped. I forgive Grey's for many things (I actually loved the ferry boat disaster) but I'd just find that really distasteful and wholly unnecessary. If Meredith is raped on top of everything else that's happened to her, she might as well change her name to Dr. Job.

I agree with you.

It is maybe worth to mention - the doctor Henderson played on  off the map  series had a wife in coma for a long time,maybe writers will do something similar here because McKidd said it is ambiguous whether the sister is really dead. I sometimes find it hard to believe what Kevin says, I think she is dead and that´s it, nothing ambiguous there. It remains to be seen whether Riggs and Meredith will be tied by a very similar medical case of their spouses.

It might be the case with the kids, and now we will see them more often.

I also think it is like you said - the injury she will suffer from will open the door for a possible new romance with another man.

Anyway, thanks for your ideas.

In the honour of the upcoming Meredith storyline which I am very curious about I have changed my name. In fact I started out as her fan in S1, so back to the roots.

Edited by Meredithfan
  • Love 1

Whatever it is that happens in episode 9 would have been planned long, long before any of that criticism came around. Denzel was confirmed to be directing by early October, which means the episode was already written and had been conceptualized / plotted weeks or months beforehand. 

• Love 2

From EW: 

Will Japril find their way back to each other on Grey’s Anatomy? 

As I mentioned before, we won’t find out what Jackson wanted to tell April right away because the midseason premiere is focused on Meredith being brutally attacked. “You don’t really find out what really happened with April and Jackson until episode 11,” Sarah Drew tells me. “You get little snippets in 9 and 10, but 11 is a big one. It was so much fun to shoot, an epic journey and every actor’s dream, basically.” As for Japril’s future, Drew says, “As long as they’re alive, there is always hope. No matter what, they really, desperately love one another. They’re in a really rough spot, but there is always hope.”

Edited by BaseOps
  • Love 2

I hope we will get more scenes to analyse, maybe a full promo finally or at least synopsis and promo pictures but maybe they will omit those  with Meredith on purpose. I think that is a good question whether she is attacked before the explosion or during or just after it. I tend to think it might be the relative of a patient, but would he be in the ambulance or a patient with a mental disorder and paramedics are unable to take control of him or her??? What do you think?

I also think Zola will be in the next episodes,maybe already in 1209. The young actress did say in February episode, did not really specifiy which one or if more than one. Maybe Meredith will be on sick leave - most likely, going to therapy and physiotherapy treatment and stay at home so we will see Zola and the other kids at home with her during the day also with their nanny.

Do correct me if I am wrong, but did Cristina say in S6 finale she would take care of the kids if both  M and D died, but then in S9 she said she would only be a cool aunt not a foster/adoptive parent?

It is these 2 comments : the attack will be more shocking because it will be done by "someone you would least expect." “She’s attacked really brutally, really viciously and in a completely surprising, weird way." that makes me wonder who it could be.

A patient with a mental disorder could attack .

I can´think of any relative or patientwe have seen that would attack Mer. Could it be someone that follows the ambulance ? We have seen before that relatives/friends comes right after the ambulance. If somethig had happend where they pick up the patient that they don`t like and makes them mad, they get angry. I am hoping for more spoilers. If Mer is attaked before the explosion/fire is there a connection between this to events?

Yes Christina said in 06x23 - Sanctuary

If you and Derek are in a plane crash and you die, The kid is mine? Yes. I have to admit, I kindhope, Uh, you and Derek die, just a little bit, So I can raise the kid with decent priorities. I have priorities.

• Love 1

I hope April and Jackson work out, I really like them together. Right now there are mostly new romances, having an established married couple is good for variety, story wise.

Regarding the ambulance explosion it seems from the date the video was posted it happens in 12x10 not in 12x09, so is unrelated to Meredith being attacked.

• Love 1