Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E21: There's My Girl

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

The investigation into the bombing of a trendy café hinges on a minor, who witnessed it; and a major blunder lands Atwater in hot water. In other events, Voight helps Platt in her attempt to get a memorial stone for the team's fallen member.

The husband admitted to doing it for the insurance after they found out his first wife died in a similar way.  Voight had caught the higher-up guy with a prostitute in the summer of 2005, so when he confronted the guy,  the stone for Nadia was approved.  Atwater got bumped down to patrol, Burgess went up to Intelligence. 

There were some great scenes, esp. acted by SB/Erin, but I hated what Roman said to Burgess about Nadia.  He was talking like Nadia was a police officer who got shot to death in the line of duty. Nadia worked in the office wanted to become a police officer but wasn't one at the time she was kidnapped, raped/tortured and murdered by a sociopath as a F You to the Chicago PD. Nadia did not "choose" that. I was disappointed that Burgess didn't call him on it and wasn't offended.   

• Love 1

Ugh, I hated it. The horrible way Nadia was killed doesn't negate the fact that she WASN'T a police officer. Would it have been NICE for the PTB to have some sort of memorial for her? Sure. Maybe a plaque with her picture in the lobby. But the same sort of honor given to sworn officers killed in the line of duty? Sorry, no. And Trudy losing her fool mind over it diminished her in my view. Pick your battles, Sergeant.

I looked way for a minute, but what did Atwater do that got that witness killed? Obviously it was something bad, or he wouldn't have been kicked down to uniform. (Is that really Voight's call to make unilaterally?) 

I looked way for a minute, but what did Atwater do that got that witness killed? Obviously it was something bad, or he wouldn't have been kicked down to uniform. (Is that really Voight's call to make unilaterally?) 

He left a soda can in the interrogation room and left the suspect alone. The suspect used the can to kill himself. I think Voight made the point that because IAB would be investigating the circumstances of the perp having the can, Atwater couldn't legitimately be working in Intelligence, which makes sense since he would be the one being investigated.

I have two brothers who are police officers and another who is a fire fighter. I did not find Nadia's memorial inappropriate. Yes, she was a civilian. But the only reason she was "chosen" by Dallas Roberts was because she was in the squad room, and he knew it would get to Erin. He didn't choose her willy-nilly - he specifically kidnapped her because of her job. Again, not an officer, but a part of the team nonetheless.

I'm confused on the timeline. So if this was just days after the murder (as evidenced by the priest's comment to Jay), this is before the NY trial, yes? I'd like them to reference that somewhere  - that they're working with SVU on building a case, etc...

• Love 1

I hated Roman's speech about how Nadia died living the life she chose. Hardly. She wasn't killed in the line of duty. She was kidnapped, raped and savaged by a sociopath. The speech was just ridiculous and I say that as someone who really likes Roman.

Sophia Bush killed it in this episode. I've always found her cry scenes kind of awkward as I never feel there's any real tears but I really felt Erin's pain tonight. I praise Sophia as well for not going the stereotypical route of perfectly groomed female lead. Erin looked exhausted and drained throughout the entire episode. The weight she was carrying was evident.

Aw poor Atwater. Can we see him do something next season please? He gets next to nothing on this show. I understand why he was bumped down and it makes sense. It was such a rookie error and I like that Hank didn't come down on him too hard. He looked so gutted. Plus Burgess barely even reacted to her upgrade and I can already tell I'm going to his this plot.

It'll be nice to see how Roman and Atwater bounce off each other..

• Love 3
(edited)

Gawd,. I wish this show would stop with Voight putting people in the cage and  beating up suspects. 

Stop going there....it's akin to the justified torture on 24.

Particualry nauseating when you hear IRL what Chicago(taxpayers) is paying out in police brutality claims.

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 1

I have two brothers who are police officers and another who is a fire fighter. I did not find Nadia's memorial inappropriate. Yes, she was a civilian. But the only reason she was "chosen" by Dallas Roberts was because she was in the squad room, and he knew it would get to Erin. He didn't choose her willy-nilly - he specifically kidnapped her because of her job. Again, not an officer, but a part of the team nonetheless.

It didn't really bother me either. Yes she wasn't a cop. But at the same time she was someone who worked for the CPD who was kidnapped while at work (from the parking lot of the police station) by a suspect the unit she works for were investigating. It would be a different thing if she died of natural causes, or was in a car accident or something like that. Seems pretty reasonable to me that this kind of situation should get a memorial.

• Love 4
Sophia Bush killed it in this episode......I really felt Erin's pain tonight. I praise Sophia as well for not going the stereotypical route of perfectly groomed female lead. Erin looked exhausted and drained throughout the entire episode. The weight she was carrying was evident.

I couldn't agree more. From the very opening scene you could tell that Erin was emotionally drained. Sophia played that perfectly b/c it wasn't just in Erin's outer appearance [all but no makeup, hair thrown in ponytail] but the way Sophia physically carried Erin's body - if that makes sense. She looked like she was just tired and moving a little slower than usual. Take the scene w. her and Ruzek at the park. 

Bunny is the worse. Is it that she'd rather have her daughter in her life, confiding in her than not at all. Or is it that she knows Erin needs someone to listen and not judge and she's going to be that for her? Or is it about one upping Hank in having Erin turn to her . . . even if Erin is at the bottom of a liquor bottle or worse back on drugs? There's a reason, in my opinion, why Erin even went to Bunny. She knows that she can drink and do whatever and Bunny won't be the parent she should and talk her out of grieving in that way. All Erin has to do is bring up her non-existent parent skills etc. 

I'm sad for the character but I am loving Sophia Bush's performance . . . watching her run the gament of Erin's grief will be some grand acting. 

I thought Nadia's memorial was appropriate as well. I know one of the police consultants on the show. He has been in CPD intelligence in real life for 20 plus years, as was his father before him who was killed in the line of duty. His fathers name was William Luce & his plaque was above Nadia's with his actual end of watch date. It was a beautiful tribute to a true hero, and shows how much respect the show has for the real Chicago PD

• Love 3

In addition, when that admin policeman sarcasitcally asked if they should do memorials for the janitor as well, I wish someone had responded (right then or later): "well, if a janitor was killed while working for the police department, or as a direct result of working for the police department, then absolutely!"  I know he was using that example to belittle Nadia, her role, and her importance to her team and district, but I certainly hope that anyone working for the police who gets killed while on the job or because of the job would get similar consideration.  To echo what was posted above, Nadia (or the hypothetical non-police employees) didn't die of an illness or accident that could happen to anyone, she died because she caught the attention of a serial killer while she was at work.  A serial killer who liked preying on young women with the same physical characteristics as Nadia and who wanted to stick it to the CPD by going after one of their own.  She absolutely deserved that commemoration.  I wasn't worried if she'd actually get it, cause that kind of B plot usually gets resolved as expected, but it was nice to see Voigt and Platt making sure she recieved that honor. 

What I'm actually saddest about with losing Nadia is her friendship with Platt.  The woman's a hardass but she's also a total marshmallow when the situation calls for it and her scenes with Nadia allowed that side of her to come out.  I loved Nadia's friendship with Erin but her friendship with Platt was a lovely surprise and I'm going to miss it.

• Love 3

What I'm actually saddest about with losing Nadia is her friendship with Platt.  The woman's a hardass but she's also a total marshmallow when the situation calls for it and her scenes with Nadia allowed that side of her to come out.  I loved Nadia's friendship with Erin but her friendship with Platt was a lovely surprise and I'm going to miss it.

This.  I loved it when Platt was helping her along with her pre-police stuff, too.  

• Love 1