Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: The Peace Of Edmund Reid

Well, that clinches it. Series 3 has been so excellently written, with so many good twists, it is far and away my favorite season.

Ep. 3.8 - The Peace of Edmund Reid

This was a fitting finale, in that every hallmark of the show was on display: smart policing and quiet, insightful character moments interspersed with gory death and torture, capped with a chilling twist. Heck, the fistfight even paralleled the boxing match in the Series 2 finale. (This fight was more Wild West saloon brawl imagery though, in keeping with S3.)

I did re-watch 3.8, and I did appreciate it more the second time. The first time…well, it was hard not to be frustrated by Susan’s subjugation. Jeez, she was suddenly the trifecta of traditional gender roles: wife, daughter, mother. But on closer watch, I realized that Susan was always acting in-character and that her silence was about survival. Plus, she had a significant amount of agency at the end, agency which she literally and figuratively passed on to the doctor and the councilwoman. I found it very telling that Susan chose two women professionals to continue her legacy.

It was actually Reid’s line about “choosing your conclusion” that reframed Susan’s actions for me. Reid did it, Susan did it, and I think the show did it—chose their own end, I mean. (Yep, very meta.)

I liked how Reid didn’t react as expected. His “fingerprinting works! Oh right, murder…” facial expressions were classic, too.

I don’t believe Susan missed on purpose though, nor did I believe Reid when he said it. It contradicts too much of what Susan has said and done, and a last-minute whitewashing of events would smack of the show chickening out, which it better not’ve done, dammit! Instead, I saw it as Reid giving Susan any reason to turn witness. There have been so many scenes in S3 of Reid manipulating or interrogating people—this conversation followed that template: he told Susan what she needed to hear to get her to turn on another criminal. The older brother betraying his younger brother in ep. 3.5 makes sense now as a precursor, BTW.

The symmetry of a father going into the cage, where before there had been a daughter, still makes me smile. Neat bit about the Stanhope, as well.

I loved Drake describing Susan as “dark and sharp as a midsummer shadow.” Beautiful image, and one last obsidian reference.

• Love 4
(edited)

Well, how much did I love the last (for now) Jackson & Drake scuffle.  Hilarious! and exactly what they'd do to each other, and I'd kill to watch that sequence on a loop.

So Edmund, in his way, brought [Wild] Western justice to the streets of Whitechapel.  Nice O. Henry-ish end to Susan's father.

Just my first reax, but I already see the door cracked open for Edmund's return & Homer's re-emergence* in Season 4.

eta: Damn! where's auto-correct when I need it? "ermergence", indeed!

Edited by gutette1

I loved it. As weyrbunny said, it had a bit of everything that we wanted. This show has usually done a masterful job of leading the characters to the edge of despair and then triumphing once they work together. It's a trope, but exquisitely done, as in tonight's episode.

The writers wrote a good series finale, in case it was one. Fortunately, it's not! Still, even if the future seasons don't hold up as well, I think S1 and S3 are each jewels.

• Love 1

I was singing along with Rose...and finishing it, camp-style: "Ta-ra-ra-BOOM-di-yay/I'll take your pants away/And while you're standing there/I'll swipe your underwear..."

Thanks to attica & co., "nerdgasm" will always spring to mind for those Edmund moments, like tonight's bit w/the little globe.  Wasn't the first one, Season 1/Ep 1, when he pointed to the camera and said, "That...is extraordinary!" ?

• Love 1
(edited)

gutette, yes -- that was the first time his fascination with inventions/theories almost overcame the criminal content of the moment.  Last night's reaction to Jackson using fingerprinting was hilarious.

I love this show much more than Sarah, but (a) she makes good points; and (b) I'm a goner over Adam Rothenberg's Jackson so I can't be rational.  

Really, the only two things from this season that made me, as Sarah puts it, stabby were the casting of Mathilda and Best's death.

Edited by mrsdalgliesh

I'm a sucker for the florid dialogue, I'll admit. I also know the 'speechifying before dying' thing is hackneyed, but I was cheering for that one-eared scribbler when he got to make that 'fuck you, Swiftie' speech before being gatlinged into the next life. I'll miss him here. (I do see Dawson's in the cast list along with Macfadyen in The Last Kingdom, so I'll see him again anyway!)

Ta-ra-ra-Boom-de-ay really needed a quicker tempo. (And me too with the alternate lyrics. The words we learn in childhood never leave us!)

Reid, you're too pale for the beach. Plus, there are no cool inventions to be found in sandcastles. Come back to town.

"nerdgasm" will always spring to mind for those Edmund moments

Then my work here is done! :)

• Love 1
(edited)

I have to watch again. I think I like Swyft (oh hai, Ser Barristan) being locked in the cell, but I'm not sure. Loved Best's final FU.

I also liked that the little boy from the train was at the wedding (run Drake, run).

The writers wrote a good series finale, in case it was one.

I also think that TPTB felt this might be the show's swan song and gave us a ending of sorts for all our boys. I don't think Reid is dead, though, and I do think MM will return for series 4. Which I wish started next week.

Edited by gemmalogical
  • Love 2

I thought this was a great season finale! The things I really liked:

1. Reid being amazed by Jackson fingerprinting the gun that was used to shoot him, instead of being angry at him or Susan. Reid and Susan's talk at the end.

2. The look on Jackson's face when Susan told him she was pregnant, him joining her in her cell, and Susan telling her father that she was protecting her family, while Jackson was holding onto her arm. They might be super dysfunctional, but they love each other. I have no idea what they're going to do with Susan next season. As much as seeing Jackson take care of a baby on his own would be hilarious, I think the writers are going to need to figure out some way to get Susan out of jail.

3. Drake and Rose getting married. She might be a bit of a flake, but Drake has loved her since season one. I liked seeing the train boy and Artherton there also.

4. Jackson trying to protect Best.

5. Susan giving the deeds to the hospital and housing projects to other women.

6. Swift getting his comeuppance.

7. Jackson and Drake's fight.

8. Mimi dumping Jackson in the nicest way possible, and saying he chose the past over the future.

(edited)

Oh, I forgot. We didn't lose our junior copper this series. Young Bobby Grace still lives.

7. Jackson and Drake's fight.

This was just the best. Drake putting his fist through furniture, Jackson putting a bag on Drake's head, and then Reid showing up all "If the two of you have quite finished...".

Edited by gemmalogical
  • Love 2

I'm a goner over Adam Rothenberg's Jackson so I can't be rational.

I've been crushing over him for quite a while now.  I noticed that he is in a series called THE DIVIDE on Amazon and I am almost tempted to pay $20.00 to see Season 1.  It just figures that it isn't on Amazon Prime for free **scowls**.

I am a little mixed up here because several months ago I heard that RS was canceled and then I read Netflix picked it up and THEN lo and behold it is back on BBCA.  Confused much?!  I figured that RS was only going to have 3 Seasons but from the posters here I get the feeling that RS will continue.  Yes?  No?  I am trying to stay calm but failing because I want a Season 4.

I loved how bright Jackson is doing his coroner bit.  Loved Reid's enthusiasm with new gadgets and technology. Loved Drake for his heart and loyalty.  I wish he had a chance to sing on this show because as Bronn on GoT, Jerome Flynn was able to show his wonderful voice.

(edited)

I am a little mixed up here because several months ago I heard that RS was canceled and then I read Netflix picked it up and THEN lo and behold it is back on BBCA. Confused much?! I figured that RS was only going to have 3 Seasons but from the posters here I get the feeling that RS will continue. Yes? No? I am trying to stay calm but failing because I want a Season 4.

Yes, the show has been confirmed for seasons 4 and 5, filmed back to back with the main cast returning, and first shown on Amazon UK Prime. I'm sure BBCA will purchase the next 2 seasons too. It was cancelled by the BBC after season 2, but that's when the fans protested, and Amazon picked it up for season 3, not Netflix.

I didn't know Adam was in that other series, but I mostly only find him attractive as Jackson, so it might be strange watching him in it. The only other things I've seen him in is Elementary and Alcatraz.

Edited by pezgirl7

That's good news about another 2 seasons.  I'm glad we had a satisfying season ending though, with weddings and babies and frolicking on the beach.

RIP Mr Best.  At least he got a heroic ending.

I didn't recognize Ser Barristan until my son pointed him out.  Swift was a 180o change in character from Selmy.

Swift was a 180o change in character from Selmy.

You could say that about pretty much every GoT actor that appeared on this show.

While I like this episode and am glad the show will be back for 2 more seasons, I think that they've kind of written themselves into a corner regarding Susan. Considering she is in jail, her involvement with the train must be known to the people of Whitechapel. So even if she doesn't hang and somehow gets out of prison, she'll be a pariah. I don't see how she could be included in further episodes.

Not happy at all about Best.  Nice that he went out defiant and all, but he was an interesting antagonist IMO and a necessary part of society. 

This would have been a good series finale but I'm happy it's not needed as one!  I like seeing Reid and Drake both happy - kind of so-so on Rose, but meh, Drake loves her so whatever.  I liked seeing Drake behind the desk too.  All the usual good stuff was here - interactions between our guys, including a fun brawl, Reid getting excited over SCIENCE.  I liked the talk between Susan & Reid also.

Matilda never worked for me so I hope she's recast or sent off for the next seasons.  I doubt it though, I'm sure there will need to be family angst.  Speaking of which, wonder if Susan will have the baby in jail or lose it?  I don't want to see baby antics in Jackson's operating room.  The last scene in the cell with her and Jackson was one of the first times it seemed like they did love each other; I just never really got that from them.  It was nice of her to pass on the deeds to the women, but I thought her story was a bit too convoluted this season and her actions/motivations didn't make sense alot of the time. 

I knew Susan hated her father but I thought that was just because he was a controlling thug.  He's really a psycho with poor impulse control; don't recall that ever really being discussed on the show.  His crazy actions were just a bit over the top for me, as was locking him up at the end (to die of thirst?  what?).  What did they give him, something to kill himself?  That wasn't clear to me either, it all seemed kind of rushed.

S1 is still my favorite season; this one was just OK.  Very glad to be seeing more of the Whitechapel crew next year.

What did they give him, something to kill himself?  That wasn't clear to me either, it all seemed kind of rushed.

Susan gave him some medicine for his heartburn. I think there was a scene earlier about it that they cut. After season one, there was some speculation that her father had molested her, because he was kind of creepy with her in the hotel room in the season one finale. But since nothing ever came of it, I don't know if it was true. Doesn't make him any less of an asshole.

Not happy at all about Best.  Nice that he went out defiant and all, but he was an interesting antagonist IMO and a necessary part of society.

Agreed.  So I'm hoping he's replaced with a Nellie Bly-ish consumer reporter who will cross swords with Edmund, but eventually, and etc., etc. 

I was holding onto hope for such a character to find Bennett, but I suppose that's all shot to hell now. 

(edited)

I thought it was one of the best last episodes to a season/series ever.  Out of all three seasons this was the best, the acting was excellent, and the writing was kicked up a notch.  

I liked it but I didn't like it.  I HATED how whipped Jackson was.  I mean he let Susan walk all over him, and he still goes back to that heifer at the end, when he had a decent woman who loved him. 

If Susan had any guts she would have killed her father; I mean they didn't have CSI in those days, you could poison someone and it would be, "ooopsie!"

But I did like Bennett and Rose getting married, that was nice.  And Reid and his daughter; Jackson turned out to be a jackass.  I mean Susan tells him she's pregnant and he believes her?  

Some men are just stupid.

Edited by Neurochick

But I did like Bennett and Rose getting married, that was nice.  And Reid and his daughter; Jackson turned out to be a jackass.  I mean Susan tells him she's pregnant and he believes her?  

Some men are just stupid.

But Susan is pregnant, so how is he dumb? Also how is he a jackass for wanting to get the full story from his wife before he turns her in, and then having second thoughts after he finds out she was pregnant? I would call that the opposite of a jackass. And as far as Mimi, I didn't see much between them besides being friends with benefits. There were a few sex scenes BBCA cut out, which helped show what their relationship really was about.

• Love 1

But Susan is pregnant, so how is he dumb? Also how is he a jackass for wanting to get the full story from his wife before he turns her in, and then having second thoughts after he finds out she was pregnant? I would call that the opposite of a jackass. And as far as Mimi, I didn't see much between them besides being friends with benefits. There were a few sex scenes BBCA cut out, which helped show what their relationship really was about.

All the lies Susan has told, why wouldn't being pregnant be one of them?  To me this is an example of a person being "ride or die" even if that ride will lead you to hell.  Stupid IMO.

Susan's conversation with the doctor made it clear to the viewer that she really was pregnant. She was also experiencing physical symptoms of pregnancy.

• Love 1

All the lies Susan has told, why wouldn't being pregnant be one of them?  To me this is an example of a person being "ride or die" even if that ride will lead you to hell.  Stupid IMO.

Susan's conversation with the doctor made it clear to the viewer that she really was pregnant. She was also experiencing physical symptoms of pregnancy.

We, the viewers, know that Susan/Caitlin is really pregnant, but I'm with those who wonder why Jackson would so readily believe it.  Surely he can't be so besotted as to just take her at her word.

I was always suspicious of Best and his motivation, but I didn't want him to die or even be tortured as he was.  What delicious payback, leaving Swift to die in the abandoned property's "cell."

Bennett and Rose getting married was sweet, but I just don't see the chemistry between them.  Who was the young boy?  I don't remember him.  

Love Reid and Mathilda at the seashore.  But get out of the sun - believe it or not, it is possible to get sunburned on the English seaside!

And lastly (for now) loved that Grace was not killed off! 

Jackson is a doctor. He can easily confirm if Susan is pregnant. Also, most men tend to believe it when a woman says she is pregnant because most women don't lie about that. Susan and Jackson are already married. She doesn't have to trap him into marriage by claiming she is pregnant.

• Love 1
(edited)

I am semi-late to the party, but having binged nearly the entire series in about a week, I need to discuss my new obsession.  I love this show!!  While I am disappointed that I didn't get to discuss and snark with everyone in real time, it is nice to avoid the disappointment and sadness that undoubtedly came when it seemed that this episode was a series finale. 

I am mostly happy with the way that things went down in this episode and I appear to be on the same page as most of you.  I also don't really care about Rose, other than the happiness she brings Drake and I'm glad that Susan as someone to confide in.  I also find Mathilda creepy in that Victorian-era child way, and I hope she doesn't become the new Rusty from Major Crimes, always hanging around the station giving her miserable two cents. 

I loved the secondary characters nearly as much as the leads and I got more enjoyment out of Abberline and his blustering than out of Reid.  I am sad that Best didn't make it though, and I do think that some kind of muck-raking Fleet Street character is needed in this world.  I hope that Dr. Frayne comes back and that Abberline will make appearances now and then however contrived and historically inaccurate that may be.

I'm not quite sure what to think about Susan and Jackson, though.  I have been rooting for them and anxiously awaiting their reunion from the beginning, but now...I don't know.  It isn't so much her evil deeds, which I can live with.  Even shooting Reid, though lying to him about his daughter was the lowest of the low.  Its just that I really, really started to like Mimi and I think that she would have been much better for Jackson in the long run.  I like the actress and you can see the affection between them, unlike with Susan.  Jackson and Susan may love each other, and I believe they do, but they don't seem to like one another much.  Plus, I hate the staying together for the baby trope.  It seems that Susan was going to tell him about the baby, even after acknowledging that he was falling for Mimi, but her pregnancy sure did come in handy when he confronted her about her crimes.  So, I don't know if I am actually happy about their reconciliation, but I look forward to seeing how it all turns out.  God help me, I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of Mimi/Jackson/Susan triangle next season.  Its awful but its true.

Plus: 

I love this show much more than Sarah, but (a) she makes good points; and (b) I'm a goner over Adam Rothenberg's Jackson so I can't be rational.

and:

I didn't know Adam was in that other series, but I mostly only find him attractive as Jackson, so it might be strange watching him in it.

pretty much sum my feelings up perfectly.  Jackson is my absolute favorite, as I am a complete sucker for a bad-boy, dysfunctional, whoring drunk with Secret Sensitivities, so yeah, I'm all in with him.  I don't really find him to be good-looking, like at all, and in fact he repulses me sometimes in that he (Jackson, not the actor) seems like he might smell and he smokes way too much for my taste, even though a Victorian/Pinkerton/Outlaw American probably smoked quite a lot.  And yet, he is sexiness is undeniable, even as it grosses me out.  So there's that.

Edited by Deanie87

So - with this new actor (Matthew Lewis) joining the cast for the next series and MacFadyen listed in the cast -- does that mean Reid comes back from skipping on the beach with Mathilda (should I have said, "waltzing on the beach with Mathilda?")

That will make me very happy. 

(I am not a Harry Potter person -- I'm way too old and never had children -- so I have no idea who Lewis is but I'm sure he's fine.)

Finally rewatching….

I never noticed before how Reid connects Susan’s crimes to Jack the Ripper’s—two unsolvable cases, both lacking the necessary evidence (in that moment). But for Reid, it’s about how he and the police react to the two crimes. They can swallow their own tails like the ouroboros, never letting go, or they can move on. Reid chooses the second, for once.

And in fact I see now that almost every character must choose this episode. It really is one of the most thematically tightly-written episodes of the series.

Years ago in college, I read some text—the name of which I can’t recall—that said the idea of the “tragic flaw” was incorrectly translated from the Greeks and then frequently misused in fiction and philosophy ever after. The correct translation was in fact “tragic mistake,” and it was about choice. It was really interesting that Reid played out both sides of this with Susan and her father. He encourages Susan’s confession by emphasizing how she simply made the wrong choice, a tragic mistake, but her father…his evil is more inherent flaw. There was no element of mistake, and so he was dealt with accordingly.

Jackson had perhaps the most impactful choices though, and I think he chose not just the past (Susan) as has been said, but also the future (telling Reid about the fingerprinting).