Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E22: Dance Party USA

• Start Topic

Thinking Pop's luck can rub off on him, Adam gambles at school and loses his toys as a result. Beverly replaces them but Adam knows better. He also learns something new about Pops that allows Adam to accept his grandfather for who he is. Meanwhile, Erica dreams to dance on a popular TV dance show, but her dream quickly turns into a nightmare when Barry gives her pink eye and she's not in a condition to be on television.

Erica turning back into a nerd is one the most obvious plot beats i've ever seen. And whatever, nerdy Erica is still getting dates. Braces, bad hair and glasses ain't stopping it.

I used to watch Dance Party USA. The little guy always amused me and there he was in the footage from last night's show.

Barry the weirdo really is charming and sweet. I loved that he didn't want to see his sister have more pudding meltdowns.

• Love 6

I was in middle school in the fall of 1990 when Dance Party was starting to go down the drain but I do remember watching the final five minutes of the show since the USA cartoon express was on right after it before dinner in the late 80s. It was an interesting show but at that time, I really didn't know what the big deal was. Sure, it was current music and a bunch of high school and college kids dancing. Sure we had the bikini shots and classic 80s style during the episodes however I couldn't understand the appeal. Watching old episodes now, I can see how it was appealing back in the day. My best friend's sister who was in her mid teens loved the "Dance and Romance" Thursdays. She was the classic: "I want to dance to this music with a great guy." Of course now we all look back and go: "Wow, what was I thinking?" 

• Love 2

I was wondering if the Goldbergs was going to give a shout out to Dance Party since it was based out of Philadelphia.  I LOVED Dance Party USA back in the day.  Never missed an episode.  Folks I remember...Kelly Ripa - she had a lot of hair, the guy that looked like George Michael.   Memories.  Pretty Poison was on every 2 weeks.  

• Love 4

Yup, I, too, watched Dance Party USA back in the day. Was it on channel 17 or 29? Or was it 3, 6 or 10? Philadelphia was one of the last major metropolitan areas to get cable. I remember when everyone finally got it, but my family was way too cheap to pay for iit, so my MTV exposure was only sporadic.  I had to watch it at friends' houses in the suburbs. (What a tough childhood.)

I really hate seeing Beverly lose. I appreciate her total commitment to winning at mothering her kids.

• Love 1

It was originally just Dancing on Air and it was local. I think they renamed it Dance Party USA when more areas picked it up. I loved it! I was parked in front of the TV every afternoon. The regulars were like local celebrities.

• Love 3

I know they wanted it super-visible for TV, but I've never had pink eye affect my eyelids before.  Just the eyeball.

I actually liked the coach's speech to Erica, he was trying to cheer her up.  

Walk it off Goldberg!

• Love 2

I always enjoy the episodes where the kids end up having each other's backs.  The Barry/Erica relationship is a typical brother/sister game of feuding and bonding.  And bonus for any time spent exploring the emergence of hot chick Erica from nerdy Erica. 

• Love 3

Okay, why was Barry asking to Erica if he could go with them. Doesn't he drive ?

I don't know if this applies to the episode because they didnt allude to it, but as the big sister if there was something I wanted to do and my little sisters wanted to come, they would ask me if they could be included. Kind of like it was Erica's territory because it was her idea to do it with her friend (even if it was Barry's girlfriend) so Barry felt he had to ask to be included - I totally related to it that way.