Type keyword(s) to search

Dan: Dan the Man

SPLAIN

Dan is kind of my favorite character.  He seems beleaguered but still a really good father and husband.  Stoic and pragmatic, but good and loving.  He reminds me a lot of my father.

John Goodman ages well I think.  I was watching True Stories last week.  That movie came out in 1986, and even 32 years ago he doesn't look significantly different.  Roseanne aged pretty well too, but this isn't a Roseanne topic.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, JakeyJokes said:

Would you believe he never won for this show? He was nominated in Seasons 1-7. Metcalf has 3 and Roseanne has one.

Unfortunately, with most of the respect being tossed to cable network shows, I really doubt that they'll give him one. Plus, Anthony Anderson has gotten a sad separation/divorce dramedy story line this season. I think ABC is pushing for Emmys for he and Tracee Ellis Ross. 

John Goodman should have won back in Roseanne's heyday.  He was beaten by Richard Mulligan, Ted Danson (twice), Burt Reynolds, Craig T. Nelson, and Kelsey Grammer (twice).  I think that they could have given one of Danson's to Goodman. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, bigskygirl said:
3 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Unfortunately, with most of the respect being tossed to cable network shows, I really doubt that they'll give him one. Plus, Anthony Anderson has gotten a sad separation/divorce dramedy story line this season. I think ABC is pushing for Emmys for he and Tracee Ellis Ross. 

John Goodman should have won back in Roseanne's heyday.  He was beaten by Richard Mulligan, Ted Danson (twice), Burt Reynolds, Craig T. Nelson, and Kelsey Grammer (twice).  I think that they could have given one of Danson's to Goodman. 

Was Danson for Cheers or Becker?  If you know, respond, but please don't anyone look it up....not that important. :) 

Danson was for Cheers - I don't know if he was even nominated for Becker.  I'll have to look up what eps he submitted, but I recall reading that Goodman didn't usually submit his best work.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Was Danson for Cheers or Becker?  If you know, respond, but please don't anyone look it up....not that important. :) 

Cheers. It was on from 1982-1993, so it was still on during Roseanne's first five seasons. Becker didn't start until 1998.

And I will defend Craig T. Nelson's win for Coach to anyone. A GREAT actor, whether doing comedy or drama. (And, of course, Coach ran right after Roseanne for years when they were on Tuesday nights on ABC.) 

• Love 1
Just now, UYI said:

Cheers. It was on from 1982-1993, so it was still on during Roseanne's first five seasons. Becker didn't start until 1998.

And I will defend Craig T. Nelson's win for Coach to anyone. A GREAT actor, whether doing comedy or drama. (And, of course, Coach ran right after Roseanne for years when they were on Tuesday nights on ABC.) 

I loved Coach!  I wish it was on in reruns somewhere.  Great show.  

2 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I loved Coach!  I wish it was on in reruns somewhere.  Great show.  

All nine seasons are on DVD in a box set now. :)

• Love 1
On 5/23/2018 at 5:37 PM, peacheslatour said:

All I can think of when I watch the early shows is "My god, look how fat they are." When they hug, they can barely get their arms around each other. I'm glad they lost the weight. They'll live longer.

He gained quite a bit of weight near the end of the original series, too; that may have been when he was at his heaviest, actually. It's pretty jarring even for him. 

• Love 2
Just now, UYI said:

He gained quite a bit of weight near the end of the original series, too; that may have been when he was at his heaviest, actually. It's pretty jarring even for him. 

I know because he lost a lot of weight from season 2-3, but that also had to do with Goodman's movies at the time. I remember after he had finished filming the Flintstones in 95. He said he was actually at his lightest in years. But then he put a lot back on towards the end. I remember him showing up on Sunset Strip about 10 years ago, and he had slimmed down again. 

• Love 1

I still laugh at the scene where Dan gets arrested for punching Fisher, and he is sitting in the back seat of the squad car at a light or stop sign, and DJ"S principal pulls up next to the squad car. The look on the principal's face is priceless. Also the one episode where Dan is doing the taxes crack me up too. Every time someone says audit, and the music plays.

So, since the reboot ended I've been binging the entire series again.  Although season 8 sure had it's stinker episodes, I just watched the one with Darlene's wedding and it is absolutely criminal that John Goodman didn't get nominated for this episode.  He did a phenomenal job portraying someone who doesn't realize they are having a heart attack.  

• Love 4