Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E02: The House Of Black And White

• Start Topic

I might be alone in this, but I felt kind of bad for Cersei. They start that scene by reminding us that she can't be Hand of the King because she's a woman, and that's bullshit, even if she would do horrible, horrible things as the Hand. I actually hated Uncle Kevan for disrespecting her, and I'm worried for her that this is a sign that her tenuous hold on power is slipping. She's not a nice person, but it sucks that the only way she's ever been able to be in charge of anything is through manipulating people, because she's can't officially hold any of these titles or positions.

I didn't feel bad for her per say but I did enjoy her confidence. It made me wish we could see some capable female leaders in this show. We've only Dany who is still young and, hopefully, learning.

• Love 1

I might be alone in this, but I felt kind of bad for Cersei. They start that scene by reminding us that she can't be Hand of the King because she's a woman, and that's bullshit, even if she would do horrible, horrible things as the Hand.

I don't feel bad for her. It's not as if Cersei gives a shit about equality.

I actually hated Uncle Kevan for disrespecting her

Cersei has never done anything to earn respect.

and I'm worried for her that this is a sign that her tenuous hold on power is slipping.

I'm concerned that political instability leads to more innocent people being killed. But as for Cersei herself, I couldn't care.

She's not a nice person, but it sucks that the only way she's ever been able to be in charge of anything is through manipulating people, because she's can't officially hold any of these titles or positions.

She was Queen Regent, which is an official position.

Everyone, regardless of their official title, must manipulate others to get what they want ("Do you think a crown gives you power?" - Tywin Lannister). See, for example, Tyrion flushing out Cersei's spy by telling 3 different stories about his plans for betrothing Myrcella.

• Love 4

Are we even sure who the protagonist is?  Is there one?  I'm leaning towards Jon Snow with Daenerys as the fire to his ice, but who knows?

I've said this before-- it's like reading a comprehensive non fictional history of England that starts early in the reign of Henry VII. You keep thinking the king is cool. Oh wait, he's an overgrown petulant child. You think each wife will finally stablize things. Nope. You admire various dukes, various royal officers, various clergy--- Chop! Eventually you realize even Henry isn't central to the story, it's Edward and the triumph of hard core protestantism. Nope. It's Jane Grey in a development that blindsides most readers. Nope, it's Mary and the return of the True Faith. And nope, the first 2000 pages were just to set the scene for Elizabeth.

• Like 1
  • Love 6

I've said this before-- it's like reading a comprehensive non fictional history of England that starts early in the reign of Henry VII. You keep thinking the king is cool. Oh wait, he's an overgrown petulant child. You think each wife will finally stablize things. Nope. You admire various dukes, various royal officers, various clergy--- Chop! Eventually you realize even Henry isn't central to the story, it's Edward and the triumph of hard core protestantism. Nope. It's Jane Grey in a development that blindsides most readers. Nope, it's Mary and the return of the True Faith. And nope, the first 2000 pages were just to set the scene for Elizabeth.

Wonderful. Also a reminder how part of Games of Thrones success is bringing the "new" concept to fiction for the public by doing a fictional history following the way real history goes. In real history good, bad or ugly you never know who will end up on top and of course there are a lot of people being killed including the ones you like. 

John had to follow the real family moto "Noble but Stupid" in turing down the Lord of Winterfield  position. 

Danny has to have major ruling flaws, got it together from the start "the Great" like Alexander and Peter might come across to audiences as unbelievable. Of course Aristotle taught Alexander did help.

Side historical note Peter the Great and his Enemy  Charles XII both were allowed to chouse if, what and how they were educated and it was successful in the most part for both even if not as broad in area they disliked as a normal education. Proves that children actually can actually want to learn and if left to their own devices they can organize a great education assuming the resources are there. Both rulers were hyperactive and almost certainly had ADHD which is an advantage when your king. Want to learn standing up and walking around the room if your king you can. Anything your poor at someone else can do, boring details are the clerks jobs anyway. And thus as king your hyperactive hyper focus only on the things your good at gets full use when that is governing or running an Army. Charles XII was a brilliant general and good politician putting in good reforms until he made the mistake of trying to invade deep into Russia a mistake the Napoleon and Hitler followed. 

• Love 1

All this intelligent discussion, and here I am wondering if you can see anything upskirt the statue in Braavos.

That is the real reason why Braavos was never conquered....the statue made invaders feel awkward and uncomfortable.

• Love 6

I would just like a shout out to Sawmill Tarlly...his scene with Gilly and Shireen was wonderful, and his speech at the Night's Watch election was so well done. The Wall is my favorite storyline, and yes Jon has come into his own, but Sam is really delivering as well.

• Love 4

I think Drogon flew off as he can smell the desperation coming off of Dany and wondered where his siblings were...

I think he flew off because his mother is really, really tiny and obviously in desperate need of a hot meal. He will return with some charred sheep or something. He still loves her, even though he's big now and can find his own food.

I wonder if people are still coming to Danaerys for reimbursement for their herds, or if Drogon has decided to hunt so far away that nobody could complain?

• Love 1

I wonder if people are still coming to Danaerys for reimbursement for their herds...

There is a platoon of Unsullied guarding a pot of gold coins at the "Carcass Exchange Stall". Turn your burned carcass into gold, no questions asked. But don't dispute the payout either, if you get the drift.....

• Love 2