Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Congratulations to my darlin' Boys of Summer.  30 years is a long time.

How I wish I'd been at the K last night!! but I sat in my car, listening to the local postgame interviews (thank you XM radio), and weeping, not a little, for the joy in their voices.

And to honor my favorite player, and how he gave all 'til his elbow gave out, I wore my HDH* tee today.  Thank you, #dirtysouth!  You're in my heart.

*Herrera [Kelvin], Davis [Wade], Holland [Greg]

New Yorkers have a deep spiritual relationship with Yogi for generations going back to 1946. Both NY baseball teams hold him near and dear. Pope Francis? Love the dude but we've only known him a short time.

I guess the way Cub fans revered Banks and Santo and Pirate fans Clemente (count me in on that), that's how we feel about Yogi.  

• Love 2

I read that Joe Maddon wasn't going to stay up late last night to find out if the Cubs clinched a playoff spot based on the outcome of a west coast game (and damn, I forgot which game it was) but that he would check the score when he got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.  How can anyone not love this guy???

• Love 3

Cards, Pirate and now Cub all clinch a playoff spot  and no division has been won yet.

Cubs are losing, Pirates and winning and the Cardinal  players are dropping like flies or limping back to playing time.

• Love 1

Got back home just in time to see David Wright put the icing on the cake. Soaked in about an hour's worth of alcohol-spraying and cigar-smoking because -- lets face it -- it might be a while before I see Mets revel like this. Here's hoping for three more raucous celebrations.

• Love 4

I saw a commercial for the playoffs today that said "the days are getting colder and the beards are getting longer" and I thought "ha! Not in one borough they aren't."

"Playoff mustache" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

When the most beleaguered teams the world get into the playoffs, well, I'm buying me a lottery ticket. Just before the eclipsy Blood Moon tonight.

Something's afoot in the universe, my friends.

Congrats to all weary fans for having something to be happy about, finally.

• Love 1

Batting average, home runs, runs batted in.

Then no, because I believe Arenado has the HR record in NL (I think Davis has it in AL).  He has the average I believe, but the other two no.

------------------------------------------------------

Can someone explain to me the history of Jonathan Papebon.  Because I like giving people the benefit of the doubt, except when the man never has apparently batted in his life and is going to tell someone else what they should be doing.

Edited by jennifer6973

Hmmm where to start? I'm not entirely sure about when he was in Boston but I don't think anyone in Philly was Sorry to see him leave. I Know I wasnt. He sign to Philly for a lot of money but made them put an extra $58 in his contract because he is number 58. The Phillies were not really contenders after he came here and he made his displeasure known at any given opportunity until they actually traded him and was completely obnoxious about it.Hr wanted to play for a contender and he wasn't going to shut up until he was and even then he made comments about other players on the Phillies although he didn't name names. He certainly did not endear himself to the fans either. He blew a save last year and when the fans booed him he grabbed his crotch in an aggressive manner towards the fans. He's not a bad pitcher but he's a bit of an ass.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 1

Yeah sorry Nats fans but the fact that Papelbon did not make the playoffs does not make me sad.

Its ugly in Washington Papelbon got into a fight with Harper in the dugout.http://mweb.cbssports.com/mlb/eye-on-baseball/25318969/jonathan-papelbon-bryce-harper-have-altercation-in-dugout

I'm not sure why Papelbon was allowed to stay in the game and not Harper because Papelbon, from the looks of the video made it physical, because he pitch in the 9th and got the loss.

Edited by shoregirl

I just watched the video and Matt Williams is an idiot. Papelbon should have been ejected from the dugout, there is no way in hell he should have been allowed to pitch. What a dick.

Yes, Harper is a hothead but Papelbon should not ever give him "advice" on what to do after a pop-up. And then to put his hands on him and try to choke him? No. That shit is uncalled for. I hope the league steps in with some form of discipline.

• Love 2

I gotta say, getting Papelbon was a huge mistake that hopefully will cost Rizzo his job.  And he was clearly in the wrong and should have been taken out of the game immediately.  And he's a dick.

That said, in the post-game interviews, he took full responsibility, apologized, said he'd worked it out with Bryce.  In Bryce's interview, I found out he has 6 more games to play this season.  He's a punk.

• Love 1

I'm guessing that they put Papelbon back in the game because they didn't have a pitcher warmed up yet to start the next inning.  The body language in that dugout said plenty after Papelbon left the game.  Every time they showed Papelbon in the dugout afterwards, nobody was anywhere near him with the exception of Scherzer, who I assumed had been appointed his "handler" for the rest of the game.  

I wasn't familiar with Papelbon prior to his arrival in DC and I was hopeful that the Nationals would finally have a decent (consistent) closing pitcher.  Now it seems like we're back to square one.  Between Papelbon, Storen, and the mid-inning guys who blew game after game this season, their bullpen has just been a trainwreck.

PS: Congrats to the Mets fans on winning the division.  If the Nationals aren't going to make it, I'm glad that it's the Mets and not the Braves :-)

• Love 1

I gotta say, getting Papelbon was a huge mistake that hopefully will cost Rizzo his job.  And he was clearly in the wrong and should have been taken out of the game immediately.  And he's a dick.

That said, in the post-game interviews, he took full responsibility, apologized, said he'd worked it out with Bryce.  In Bryce's interview, I found out he has 6 more games to play this season.  He's a punk.

I didn't take it as him being a punk, I took it as a measured response, that and he's not playing tomorrow because it's his day off.  So congrats Reds you get  a win tomorrow.  At least that's how I took it.

As of Saturday morning, Harper had 41 HRs and Arenado had 39.  I don't know what happened yesterday or today.

Harper still has 41 he didn't homer yesterday or today.

I didn't take it as him being a punk, I took it as a measured response, that and he's not playing tomorrow because it's his day off.  So congrats Reds you get  a win tomorrow.  At least that's how I took it.

Harper still has 41 he didn't homer yesterday or today.

I took it as someone probably told him not to comment on it and the interviewers kept on bringing it up or he didn't want to discuss it until he had spoken with management.  Williams sort of had the same response.  The only one who actually talked about it in depth was Papelbon, and that was probably because he knew everyone considered him the jackass in the situation.

• Love 1

Sorry, I'm not very good with the writing thing.  I wasn't saying I think he's a punk because of his response today, although I think it was quite dismissive (I didn't get measured, but I rarely do with him).  I'm saying I think he's a punk in general.  Always have.

Which does not lessen Papelbon's dickness.

Which does not lessen Papelbon's dickness.

Oh, he's a first class asshole. I thought of him as very AJ Pierzynski-esque, that "he's a jackass, but his teammates liked him" but he's taken it to a different level this year with his time in PHI/ WAS.

But this?

but made them put an extra $58 in his contract because he is number 58.

I've seen this with many other players. Baseball players, other pro athletes, they do this type of thing.

I like that the Astros have stepped up and not fallen apart in this HOU- LAA- MINN Wildcard race.  Very pissed at Seattle for losing today.

ETA: Sox go to Yankee Stadium, sports fans!  This could be quite delicious. Sox pretty much just sent the O's home, with not only a 3-game sweep, but a 3-game SHUTOUT sweep!  (sorry ebk!)

Edited by King of Birds

Oh, he's a first class asshole. I thought of him as very AJ Pierzynski-esque, that "he's a jackass, but his teammates liked him" but he's taken it to a different level this year with his time in PHI/ WAS.

But this?

I've seen this with many other players. Baseball players, other pro athletes, they do this type of thing.

I like that the Astros have stepped up and not fallen apart in this HOU- LAA- MINN Wildcard race.  Very pissed at Seattle for losing today.

ETA: Sox go to Yankee Stadium, sports fans!  This could be quite delicious. Sox pretty much just sent the O's home, with not only a 3-game sweep, but a 3-game SHUTOUT sweep!  (sorry ebk!)

Sigh...  

It's okay.  We weren't going anywhere anyway.  Wait till next year!

And, as far as the Nats today, after reading a few comments by friends, it seems that my distaste for Bryce has colored my view.  Perhaps he was being measured.  Eh, I'm just going to enjoy the show and look forward to Tony Kornheiser's radio show tomorrow morning.

Yanks win today. Severino is a cool customer! I really want the Yanks to win 4 more games so they can have 90 wins. A one game playoff will probably be very stressful and I can see them losing if they don't muscle the ball, so 90 will make a statement that they are indeed still relevant and the AL better watch out if these young kids actually are the real deal.

Are the Pirates a Wild Card possibility? Hope so.  

Edited by prican58

But this?

Even though I'm a lifelong fan of the O's (growing up in the DC area will give ya that), I was quite happy they lost all three games to the Red Sox. (My 2nd favorite AL East team)(due to NKOTB).  I didn't really like it that they beat the Nats.

• Love 1

The AL west is really interesting still. The Rangers and Angels have to play each other still, so maybe the Astros could get in still. I'm not a fan, but it's nice to have someone different. I've been cheering for the Mets because of the nice people in this forum and because they are so much more fun than normal NL front runners.

Awwwwww . . . thanks, AndreaK1041! I'm trying to be optimistic, even as I read an item about how the Mets are 6-20 against NL Central teams that aren't the Reds. I might be off by a few wins, but I got the gist. Even if the Mets get by the Dodgers (1 1/2 game advantage for home field) and draw the Wild Card team (Cubs/Pirates), it would still be a huge ordeal.

I would've posted sooner to give a heads-up about Jake Arietta pitching a perfect game, but he lost it in the seventh. In other news, only one team in the top three of the NL Central will still be playing by the time the NLCS rolls around.

• Love 1