Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

We here in the DC/Baltimore area (The Capital of the Free World ) get 2 MASN channels that show the O's and the Nats.  When they aren't playing, they mostly go to ESPNews.  There are various baseball talk shows during the season - I think I mentioned my favorite part of Wall to Wall Baseball (the O's show) is when they read the weekly Mars Grocery circulars on the air.  It's brilliant... 

We also have a CSN network which shows the Caps and Les Boulez.  And...other stuff.

So gone are the days of O's games on WDCA and Home Team Sports and I think CSN.

So gone are the days of O's games on WDCA and Home Team Sports and I think CSN.

Yeah.  HTS became CSN.  Peter Angelos started MASN in 2005.  Some of the O's game are also broadcast on WJZ and some of the Nats game on WUSA, mostly on weekends.

I'd like to gauge nostalgia on the sports networks. SNY shows "classic' games from Mets history, but what gets to me are the "Yearbooks." The Mets did some season-in-review films as early as the first few years of the franchise. It's oddly comforting to hear the voices of those that have passed on . . . in this case, original broadcasters Ralph Kiner and Bob Murphy. The formula does get altered . . . the 1987 highlight tape was hosted by Keith Hernandez and general manager Frank Cashen.

Speaking of Murphy. . . sometimes during Mets games, SNY shows memorable moments from seasons past. They showed the end of a wild Mets/Phillies game from 1990 . . . I think the Mets blew a big lead, and Roger McDowell almost threw the ball away after a close play, but they wound up winning 10-9. The kicker is that Murphy was at the mic, and he yelled about how the Mets "won the damn thing." Pretty funny.

• Love 2

We were at Shea for Bob Murphy's last broadcast (Bob Murphy Day - it was very moving, one of the nicest baseball events I've ever been to) where the Mets of course lost to the Pirates.  You had to laugh at the resignation in his tone as he called the plays.

• Love 1
(edited)

The Blue Jays just got another freaking pitcher.

If Cashman doesn't pick at least one up by 4:30 he needs to go.

Ok well the Jays gave up a pitcher to get a pitcher but my point about Cashman stands.

Edited by mojoween

Hey Mets fans  (or anyone with knowledge)

IF Yoenis Cespides is traded to the Mets today, what is the earliest possible he could play this weekend.  I know it's not to tonight.

(one wonders if MLB teams have a traveling seamstress)

Hey Mets fans  (or anyone with knowledge)

IF Yoenis Cespides is traded to the Mets today, what is the earliest possible he could play this weekend.  I know it's not to tonight.

Looks like the Cubs Starlin Castro wasn't traded.  Even though I'm from Chicago, I've been a lifetime Cardinals fan, so the Cubs are therefore my enemy.  I still can't help but feel for this kid.  He was already struggling before every media outlet started calling for him to be dumped.  I wonder why the Cubs don't simply send him to AAA for a while, or bring on his potential replacement.  Those are tactics that seem to work in St. Louis, and often light a fire under a young player.

Wasn't Cespides involved in a deal last year? Or am I remembering it wrong? Also: how much sweet-talk will be needed to placate Wheeler and Flores? Only the Mets could potentially wreck their own shortshop.

Well, Flores knows the fans love him. They gave him a standing ovation after an impressive stop at short and a pretty good round of applause when he came up to bat.

About a decade ago the New York Times had an article on the tailor who did the names and numbers for the Mets. He didn't travel with the team, but he had to be available all hours just in case. He said that the best part of the job was that he found out about new players before anyone outside of the front office. (Although I'm sure that has changed with social media.)

Wasn't Cespedes involved in a deal last year? Or am I remembering it wrong? 

A's traded him to the Red Sox at trade deadline for Jon Lester; Sox traded him to Tigers in the off-season ... for Rick Porcello. Tigers won that deal! And now they get Fulmer for him in the Mets trade.

I heard while listening to LA sports radio, that tomorrow, for the first time ever, the reigning AL MVP Mike Trout, will face the reigning NL MVP, Clayton Kershaw.

Ain't baseball amazin'?

• Love 1

Wow. So the guy that was supposed to be gone to Milwaukee two nights ago . . . hits a walk-off homer?!? I'm not complaining . . . it's one helluva storyline for Flores to have. And the Mets get their big gun tomorrow.

Lost amid the heroics of Wilmer Flores . . . I think the guy that caught the homer did so with a cap. Not bad.

• Love 2

Yeah, totally have to give it up for Flores.

After the 2009 steroid admission, I asked people on a message board I belonged to at the time what I should do with my A-Rod shirt. The general consensus was "burn it." :)

I don't know where the announcers are situated in U.S. Cellular Field but the microphones pick up noise near the on deck circle and when A-Rod was on deck you could hear someone in the crowd say "A-Rod don't listen to the haters, they're just jealous."

It made me laugh. And also fervently hope that the next time Michael and Paul are quiet the language gets saltier.

The Mets came from behind to beat the Nationals, 3-2. Only lingering concern is that Lucas Duda drove in all three runs, including two solo home runs . ..  but hey, the Mets are now a game behind the Nats

What is that in his left hand?

Old Bay Seasoning.  Very popular on crab dishes. 

Speaking of food and baseball:

After those two HRs today (thanks Zobrist!!), one of the most popular KC BBQ places named a sandwich after him.  This, my friends, is HONOR.

Edited by gutette1

Every single giveaway at Yankee Stadium this week is something I would want...except for the wretched cowboy hat they are giving out when we'll actually be there. Of course, there is no mascot so no awesome bobbleheads like that bird up there.

I was five on August 2, 1979 so I have no recollection of Thurman Munson as a player or his death. What was it like then? Was it a big deal outside New York? He was active when he died, wasn't he?

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1
Was [Thurman Munson's death] a big deal outside New York?

I hated the Yankees, but admired Munson, and I cried when I found out.

The coda to Bull Durham is a close-up of a photo of Munson grinning, with the article about his death tacked up next to it, and a candle burning nearby.  Very appropriate.  I remember him as a gamer.

Baseball fights can be so strange. Today the Pirates and the Reds (who have had beef against each other for a long time. . . for some long forgotten reason) got into a bench clearing "brawl". Marlon Byrd, who did pretty well on the FA market based off a strong late season performance with the Bucs a couple of years ago, was agitating for the Reds. AJ Happ, who has been a Pirate for all of three days, was agitating for the Pirates. Josh Harrison, who is on the freakin' IR was sticking his nose into it for some insane reason. And AJ Burnett, of all people, was playing peacekeeper.

Strange.

Retro unis are nice, but I want a team to go all in with the theme and bring back the bullpen car for a game.

ETA. Not that I want to push him into retirement, but Curtis Granderson is going to kill it on TV when he decides to move on.

Edited by xaxat

I was five on August 2, 1979 so I have no recollection of Thurman Munson as a player or his death. What was it like then? Was it a big deal outside New York? He was active when he died, wasn't he?

I was still a Yankees fan then and we'd moved to Atlanta the year before, and it was big news.  I cried for days.  Yes, he was active when he died.

Last night the boyfriend and I went to a Mini Mets game in Port St. Lucie (high A Florida League) and they gave away a Noah Syndegaard bobble head, with him in a St. Lucie Mets uniform.  I'm going to display it in my cubicle at work next to the Matt Joyce bobble head I got at a Rays game a few years ago.  Tradition Field in Port St. Lucie is a very nice stadium (spring training home of the big guys) but it was sad to see only about 150 people in the stands on a Saturday night.  I'll blame the predicted heavy rain that never happened for the low turnout.

• Love 1

Prayer for the Captain

There's a little prayer I always say

Whenever I think of my family or when I'm flying,

When I'm afraid, and I am afraid of flying.

It's just a little one. You can say it no matter what,

Whether you're Catholic or Jewish or Protestant or

whatever.

And I've probably said it a thousand times

Since I heard the news on Thurman Munson.

It's not trying to be maudlin or anything.

His Eminence, Cardinal Cooke, is going to come out

And say a little prayer for Thurman Munson.

But this is just a little one I say time and time again,

It's just: Angel of God, Thurman's guardian dear,

To whom his love commits him here there or everywhere,

Ever this night and day be at his side,

To light and guard, to rule and guide.

For some reason it makes me feel like I'm talking to

Thurman,

Or whoever's name you put in there,

Whether it be my wife or any of my children, my parents

or anything.

It's just something to keep you really from going bananas.

Because if you let this,

If you keep thinking about what happened, and you can't

understand it,

That's what really drives you to despair.

Faith. You gotta have faith.

You know, they say time heals all wounds,

And I don't quite agree with that a hundred percent.

It gets you to cope with wounds.

You carry them the rest of your life.

Phil Rizzuto

August 3, 1979

Baltimore at New York

Pregame show

• Love 1

How to tell when your team is crushing it: You see one of "your" players (in this case, Curtis Granderson) hit a home run. He circles the bases. ESPN replays the homer. And again. And again, from behind the hitter. Except . . .  whoops! That's actually another hitter (Daniel Murphy) hitting his own homer on the very next pitch. Not to jinx the Mets, but damn, that was something else.

• Love 1

When was the last time the regular season narrative of a team changed so dramatically in the span of five days. It seems like an eternity ago when Met "ineptitude" was on full display with the mishandling of the Flores trade and that brutal loss to the Padres. Mets fans were careening between anger and despair on WFAN.

Then Flores hits a walk off, Duda goes crazy, the Mets sweep the Nats, move into a tie for first place in the division and Flores has captured the imagination of the city in a way not seen since the heights of Linsanity.

Watching the Mets fans with their brooms made me laugh because brooms are contraband according to the Yankee Stadium rules.

Also, looking at Jayson Werth, I wonder if he would block a trade to the Yankees?

Also, looking at Jayson Werth, I wonder if he would block a trade to the Yankees?

Look what they did to Johnny Damon!  Hairy idiot to ... whatever he was on the Yankees.  "Lets just take all the personality out of our players..."

Well, young lady...I was in college at the time, and I had gone to a Met game with a couple of friends.  It was actually a twi-night doubleheader (remember those!) against the Pirates, I believe.  Early in the first game, first or second inning, there was a stoppage of play, with no apparent reason, then we saw they had put a message up on the scoreboard announcing Munson was killed in a plane crash.  I was unaware at the time that he was flying his own aircraft, so immediately I thought it was a team flight, and wondered what happened or if anyone else was involved.  At the start of the second game, they held a moment of silence in his memory, which was punctuated by the roar of a jet taking off from LaGuardia and flying over the stadium.  The hair on the back of my neck still stands up when I think about that...

• Love 7
Royals pitchers are punks.

Hm.  Bit of a broad brush.  There are punk moments, certainly.  And,

Per MLBNetwork/Fangraphs/etc.:

23 teams have hit more batters than the Royals. Only 1 team has had more batters hit than the Royals.

Edited by gutette1
  • Love 1

Well I saw one of my favorite stats of the season tonight - Adrian Beltre was a homer short of the cycle...in the top of the fourth.

Update - he hit a homer in the fifth. Uh, time to wrap it up Houston. Things are not going your way today.

I was too busy watching American Ninja Warrior, so I missed the Mets' shellacking on the Marlins. They managed to score in more than one inning, which was bugging me a little. They can't just score a few times and hope the pitching hold up. Thanks to the magic of DVR, I managed to see Bartolo Colon get a hit up the middle. Not as big of a treat as seeing his double, but it was pretty nice.