Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

(edited)

There was another story today about a Fenway fan who decided the Kenyan woman performing the national anthem really needed to be called the n word. Security threw him out; he's banned for life.

In happier news, Yankees Classics is already airing the O's game from last Friday.?

Edited by attica
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, attica said:

In happier news, Yankees Classics is already airing the O's game from last Friday.?

Sigh...........................

:-)

• Love 1

Isn't that kind of a thing for Chicago?  And it will be one p.m. there so I guess it's kind of normal.  Maybe Ferris Bueller will be there.

Manny Machado took a 30 second home run trot yesterday and the gif is very amusing.  The only thing that would have made it better would be if he had stopped before touching each base.

It is going to be very interesting when Boston heads to Baltimore next time.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, CheetaraThunder said:

Curt Schilling has come out and basically called Adam jones a liar, which is not shocking come from this racist.

I cannot stand that fucktard Schilling.  Here's a link to an article about it.

• Love 11

Talk about a first-world problem - I want to watch the Yankee game, but for an afternoon game I have to do it using the FOX Sports app on the iPad, and the delay is significant enough that At Bat updates come in before I actually see it happen on screen.  So it will flash across the iPad before I even see it occur.  It's SUPER frustrating, let me tell you.

Of course I could turn off the notifications for three hours but that's a pain.

• Love 3
57 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Talk about a first-world problem - I want to watch the Yankee game, but for an afternoon game I have to do it using the FOX Sports app on the iPad, and the delay is significant enough that At Bat updates come in before I actually see it happen on screen.  So it will flash across the iPad before I even see it occur.  It's SUPER frustrating, let me tell you.

Of course I could turn off the notifications for three hours but that's a pain.

When I'm watching games on TV, I almost always fall behind from pausing for whatever, so I turned off the At Bat notifications for that very reason. They kept spoiling me! I keep the news notifications on, though. I like getting the lineups.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, mojoween said:

Isn't that kind of a thing for Chicago?  And it will be one p.m. there so I guess it's kind of normal.  Maybe Ferris Bueller will be there.

Manny Machado took a 30 second home run trot yesterday and the gif is very amusing.  The only thing that would have made it better would be if he had stopped before touching each base.

It is going to be very interesting when Boston heads to Baltimore next time.

Manny smashing those homers over the monster and then just slow trotting his ass around the bases, while Red Sox fans booed him was perfect. I wanted to do more, but to make the Red Sox fans salty is good enough for me.

• Love 4
(edited)

Michael Kay said that the Cubs are not allowed to play night games on Fridays.  Even with the lights.

This umpires strike zone is the worst thing I have ever seen.

@kariyaki one night I had paused the TV early in the game and totally forgot later on, and just before the Yankees started to make a rally in the ninth, my phone went off telling me they lost.  I no longer pause live sporting events, no matter the sport.

"More than 50 hours of Derek Jeter coverage, all week on YES."

CANNOT WAIT.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2

I'm not liking Wrigley's new bullpens under the outfield seats. Relievers should be able to see the sun, just like their teammates, not stuck in a glorified hallway.

#freetherelievers

• Love 5
47 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I'm not liking Wrigley's new bullpens under the outfield seats. Relievers should be able to see the sun, just like their teammates, not stuck in a glorified hallway.

#freetherelievers

Have you seen the visitors bullpen at Minute Maid Park? They look like they're in someone's garage. 

P8280067-640.jpg

This is how I see the New York baseball scene these days . . .

"We turn to the Bronx, where Aaron Judge is averaging one home run every other game. Major League Baseball has tested him for performance-enhancing drugs, including once in the batter's box in the ninth inning of a close game. But Judge filled the cup without complaint, then hit a walk-off grand slam home run. It traveled 450 feet, yet still had enough force to knock a young girl out of her wheelchair. But then she got up and walked for the first time in her life. The other teams from the American League East have conceded, and it's a given that Aaron Judge will retire with as many rings as Saint Derek, if not moreso. Also, more nines and tens than any of us poor schmucks will see in our lives.

"Moving to Flushing, where the Mets struggle to keep afloat. Six of their starting pitchers are on the disabled list, two of those are down for the season. The only bright side came when Tim Tebow was called up for a spot start and only gave up three runs in two innings. Jay Bruce had a memorable night last week, homering four times in the first four innings. But when he crossed home plate on the final dinger, he tripped, fell, and broke both his arms. Then the rain came down, negating the Mets' 20-3 lead, as well as Bruce's mark. Sandy Alderson has stated that he believes in manager Terry Collins, but that he will be given razor blades on a case-by-case basis. Also. all bleach containers have been banned, and the clubhouse is constantly checked for sturdy ropes."

• Love 3

Ha!  When Chapman came up to save the game Kenny declared he is 6 for 6 in saves this year and I said aloud "no Ken you're going to ruin it!"

You have to be careful around the baseball gods.

I'm watching the re-air and not only do I love that Pineda got a hit, I love that Didi ran out and gave Michael a coat and that he had to run to second wearing a jacket.

14 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Moving to Flushing, where the Mets struggle to keep afloat.

For all of their problems (and there have been many) the Mets have won 5 of their last 7.

I was watching something else live, but I had WPIX on earlier. I tune in, the Mets are in  rain delay. I rewind, and I got to see Asdrúbal Cabrera hurt himself diving for a ball. And then the umpires figured it was good time to call in the tarps. I know shit like this can happen to any team, but it's not fun where it feels like all of the calamities land on your favorites.

2 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Well, aren't you just a Debbie Downer... ;-)

I prefer to think of myself as a cantankerous Mets fan. ;)

Seriously, I'm going to be very irritated if this game today doesn't get to the sixth. I was irked when the game stopped in the 4th with Atlanta the other days with the Mets up. Twice in one week will do nothing for my spirits.

Both San Francisco and Oakland are notorious for the sea gulls that buzz the field when games are over.  They seem to have internal clocks to let them know when games are over so they can pick over the leftovers.  But for some reason, they're diving the field in the first inning of tonight's 6 PM start.  This is going to be interesting if they get in the way of a fielder or a batted ball.

No word on why Matt Harvey got suspended for three days. Is it time to consider the Mets a cursed franchise? Before the Cubs broke their hex, I figured the Mets were "second-tier jinxed," but I think they might earn the promotion.

10 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

Since it was the team suspending him and not the league, it suggests he did something like not showing up or being a general asshole, insubordinate or harassment.

"You see, honey, I call it 'The Dark Knight' because it spends most of the time in darkness. But when he arrives, you'll know." "Godda- . . . not in the clubhouse! Never in the clubhouse!!!"

ETA: Fucking hell, nobody told the new guy never to pitch to Giancarlo Stanton?!? Only way he could hurt the Mets harder is if he joined the Nationals.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

ETA: Fucking hell, nobody told the new guy never to pitch to Giancarlo Stanton?!? Only way he could hurt the Mets harder is if he joined the Nationals.

No, they definitely didn't.

3 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Since it was the team suspending him and not the league, it suggests he did something like not showing up or being a general asshole, insubordinate or harassment.

Terry Collins hinted that his priorities are not 100% baseball. Whatever that means.

I've read a few articles (and heard some announcer speculation since the game started) that suggested he did not show up for yesterday's game at all (and did not have permission to do so), and that was apparently the step over the line after a pattern of showing up late or not at all (for example that mandatory workout he missed back in the day "because traffic"). Every time it comes to press that he didn't show up or was late his PR people cite "communication issues" between him and the team. So I'm guessing this suspension was intended to communicate to him that he needs to show up or there will be consequences. He's not the same unhittable guy he was once so he's got zero leverage anymore for acting like a diva.

Migraine? I feel for him. BUT, there has to be someone he can call/text who can inform management. Boras? You are his agent and he should be calling you so you can call Terry or Jay Horowitz or hell, the bat boy! I know a migraine can stop you from even lifting your head but if a regular guy can call his job so can you.

• Love 2

I think there's got to more to the story than that. Failing to alert the team that you won't make it to the game because of a migraine doesn't seem like something that would result in such a public reprimand.

Especially since the Mets had to know that Boras would almost certainly file a grievance.

The impression I get from what I'm hearing is that they suspended him now because of "cumulative" behaviour, and possibly the improper notification re: headache (sounds like Harvey's people are calling it a migraine and the Mets people are calling it a headache) was just the final straw/ an easy by-the-letter way to punish him. Veiled references implying the headache was actually him being hung over. So Harvey's story is he had a good reason and possibly notified the team via not exactly the correct channels and they're blowing it out of proportion, and the Mets story is he's full of excuses, and possibly, if they have a very specific team rule re: how he was supposed to have notified them of this, and he didn't do that, then they may figure they have good footing. Depending on the wording of the whatever it is: code of conduct, his contract, something, I bet he'll argue that it was a minor thing makes it silly for them to react that way, while they're argue that given it wasn't a giant medical emergency, his not following protocol (assuming he didn't) is a totally valid reason for what they did.

4 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I've read a few articles (and heard some announcer speculation since the game started) that suggested he did not show up for yesterday's game at all (and did not have permission to do so), and that was apparently the step over the line after a pattern of showing up late or not at all

I was listening to the Mets broadcast via Sirius this afternoon, and they specifically said his three day suspension was for Saturday, Sunday, and Monday.

There was an incident in the clubhouse Friday involving several players and a sex toy being left in someone's locker, but the team said Harvey was not involved, and the suspension was not related to it.

My fiance' and I were in Tampa this weekend to see Tom Petty in concert Saturday night and we stayed overnight to make a weekend out of it, and over our free hotel breakfast this morning we decided to go to the Rays game.   We bought cheap seats in the second row of right field, actually my preferred place to sit in that "park," and it was his first ever time in a domed stadium and it took some getting used to.  It was a good pitchers duel but the Jays beat the Rays 2 - 1 on a late inning homer.

Having never seen Jose Bautista in person before I was rather intrigued by his warming up antics in right field.  He seems to crack his neck a lot.

• Love 3

Chris Tillman made his first start of the season today.  He walked 2 in the first.  It took him about a million pitches to get out of the second.  I was sure I'd be at the ballpark until tomorrow.  Fortunately, we scored some runs.  And the game actual sped up as it went on - exactly the opposite of normal.  We even made it on time for our dinner reservation!

Yankees/Cubs are in the sixteenth inning. Suggestion: If a game go beyond 4.5 hours and/or 14 innings, pitchers are replaced by a coach and a pitching machine. Any ball that hits the machine would be out of play, and the coach is not allowed to touch the ball.

ETA: Fudge it, I'm waiting to see if the game goes past eighteen innings. Would the specter of Ernie Banks manifest and shoo everybody off the field?

I fell asleep in the bottom of the ninth, woke up to find it was 4-4 and went to bed.  Glad I did, even if I'm sad to miss the victory.

I would be amused that they played basically two games last night except they have to turn around and play the red-hot Reds tonight.

Interleague play between the Astros and Braves tomorrow and Colon is pitching. Cool, I've been wanting to see him pitch. Plus, as it's a home game for Houston, Colon gets a DH.

32 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Interleague play between the Astros and Braves tomorrow

While I continue to despise interleague play it's times like this I wish Houston was still in the NL because the Astros and Braves played so many great series' against each other.  I remember the Niekro brothers squaring off as opposing pitchers and of course that epic 18 (I think it was 18??) inning post season game several years ago. 

• Love 2