Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, mojoween said:

I was reading an article that said teams typically don't trade their elite closers if they believe they can contend for a playoff spot and it makes me laugh because the Yankees aren't like other teams.  Miller may not be Chapman, but he is one of the best closers out there.  

There's also the fact that Miller offers the Yankees more positional flexibility seeing how he is also the clubhouse bouncer.

Chris Sale's ERA splits for the season. April: 1.66, May: 2.88. June: 3.93, July: 5.40.

Yep, the team swoon is  all the marketing department's fault.

• Love 3
(edited)

I do not think the Yankees are waving the white flag at this time. We did fine before Chapman and we will be fine without him. We now have to figure out the 7th inning but my sweetie Adam Warren will help in that scenario. Yes, I adore him and was not happy when he was traded. And apparently neither was he. Seems he was so upset when he was traded to Cubs that he threw all his personal Yankee stuff in a box and never looked at them. He is happy to be back. He said he didn't know his role and had trouble getting his pitches across like he wanted. He did not bitch about the Cubs, didn't blame anybody except himself.

That kind of reaffirmed my belief that he was homesick. I think often when one is uprooted like that it seeps into your psyche and you kind of self destruct, even if you don't realize it. He was a home grown Yankee who slowly found his place here. I would guess his experience is likely to have finalized the idea that this is a business and he could be traded again eventually. We will see. I am happy he is back.

If they trade Beltran that would be a white flag because he is the best offense they have, unless they got some big time MLB ready guy.  CC just gave up a HR. but he is throwing pretty well and just struck out Altuve. Correa up now...walked him. CC has to go 7. Struck out Gattis. Nice 

BTW, when is this beard thing going away? Kuykle or however you spell his name, his is really atrocious. I know men hate to shave but really, it's too much.

mojoween, I think Tex may have found the touch, he just doubled and McCann is at 3rd. My other sweetie, DiDi is up...sac fly. Tied at 1. Yay DiDi. 

Edited by prican58

Man, if the Braves hire that ass Tim Lee, as some sorta backdoor "make good" for railroading the project/ money  - and if the Braves still keep sucking?  And when (not if) the ATL fans become as bad as the Dodger fans who arrive in the 2nd and leave in the 7th because of traffic?   KARMA.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Rick Kitchen said:

The voters of Cobb County, Georgia voted out the County Chairman who made the Braves deal for their new stadium in secret.

http://deadspin.com/politician-who-cooked-up-horrid-braves-stadium-deal-get-1784363693?

From a news article in the comments section of the above link.  It's nice to see a politician who actually gets it.

“I want to emphasize this — it’s never been about the Braves. They are a business and they did what they had to do for their shareholders. The issue was transparent and open government and transparency, and this was never brought to the people in a way that reflected that,” Boyce said Tuesday night.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, prican58 said:

BTW, when is this beard thing going away? Kuykle or however you spell his name, his is really atrocious. I know men hate to shave but really, it's too much.

I doubt the beard thing will go away anytime soon. They've spun Keuchel's beard into a whole event night whenever he pitches at a home game. They set aside a special section as Keuchel's Korner and give a free t-shirt + a fake beard to wear. 

And then Evan Gattis apparently shaves at the beginning of the season and lets it grow as the season progresses. Which I think is kind of neat, although I wish he'd clean up the neck beard area a bit. 

I shave twice a week because the hair drives me nuts.

On-topic: Mets start a four-game set with the Rockies tomorrow, starting with a day game. Anybody get the rationale for that? I won't be going for Mike Piazza weekend. Thankfully, SNY should cover the number retirement ceremony on Saturday. It would be nice if John Franco was recognized, like how 8 is retired by the Yankees for Yogi Berra and Bill Dickey.

The Korner thing is fine and a fun thing and I get it. Maybe since I am a Yankees fan and the team has a no beard rule. Mustaches are ok. I saw one of the Astros' players who has a beard but it isn't one of those mountain men things. It was neat and trimmed and the guy looks very handsome. It's just weird to me that it has become such a phenomenon. I think I'm just not liking the unkempt factor. 

OK, I'm done with that. 

• Love 1

Look, every player has plenty of 0-fer games. If they're so superstitious they'd be shaving and not shaving throughout the season.  If they're not doing it for superstition, then some of their loved ones or teammates need to tell them they don't look good.  (The 2013 Mike Carp/ Red Sox was one of the more hideous examples.)

Red Sox split 2-2 with the Twins, then swept by the Tigers.  Hope they don't sell the farm!  This team isn't that good.

22 minutes ago, prican58 said:

The Korner thing is fine and a fun thing and I get it. Maybe since I am a Yankees fan and the team has a no beard rule. Mustaches are ok. I saw one of the Astros' players who has a beard but it isn't one of those mountain men things. It was neat and trimmed and the guy looks very handsome. It's just weird to me that it has become such a phenomenon. I think I'm just not liking the unkempt factor. 

OK, I'm done with that. 

I'm betting it's Marwin Gonzalez you're talking about. His beard is very neatly trimmed at all times. So is Lance McCullers's beard. Colby Rasmus had this beard that looked like an awful jawbone curtain thing and he finally shaved the hideous thing. Of course, since then he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat, so maybe he should grow it back. 

(edited)
39 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

I'm betting it's Marwin Gonzalez you're talking about. His beard is very neatly trimmed at all times. So is Lance McCullers's beard. Colby Rasmus had this beard that looked like an awful jawbone curtain thing and he finally shaved the hideous thing. Of course, since then he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat, so maybe he should grow it back. 

kariyaki, you made me laugh. 

Interesting how I hear that Brian McCann and Gattis are great friends from their Braves days. Gattis has his beard all happy as you please and I know that Brian loves to grow his out in the off season. Brian must be so jealous.

I wonder if Chris Sale became a Yankee, would he refuse to go. Probably has a no trade clause for Yanks because of their beard policy.

Edited by prican58
(edited)

I hate "no beard" rules. When the Yanks inevitably make their pitch to Bryce Harper I  hope he lets them know that the beard is part of the deal.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, King of Birds said:

Well ya know Harper is all about the "fun in baseball" so ... sayonara to the Yankees!

Well, K of B I have to side with mojoween on this. I kind of like the rule. I also like that the Yanks do not have alternate jerseys. Frankly, I wish the traditional teams like Detroit, Cubs, Red Sox, Cincy, Cleveland would only have the iconic uniforms. I even wish the Mets only had the pinstripe unis from the 1969/73. I actually hate the 1986 unis that they are wearing every Sunday home game. Mets do get props for the all white home unis without the pinstripes. Sharp.

And while I'm at it I kind of miss the old stadiums like Tiger Stadium, the original Yankee, the old Cleveland stadium. I'm talking big steel iron beams blocking your view. I remember feeling sad when they got torn down. In all seriousness I know that will never happen and really, they were so kind of morose looking on tv. I remember watching Yanks vs Indians back in the early 70's when neither team was that good, and they were in Cleveland.  I always thought it looked depressing especially if you had a b & w tv. 

kariyaki, do Astros fans sometimes forget that they are in the AL now? I still can't get used to it and I always think it's an inter league game. 

Yes, I am set in my baseball ways... I miss the old alignments..AL East: NY, Clev, Boston, Detroit, Baltimore and Milwaukee. I remember Robin Yount' s first time at The Stadium and Phil Rizzuto talking about how high the Brewers were on this 19 year old kid.

Alright! Now you kids get off my lawn!!!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, prican58 said:

kariyaki, do Astros fans sometimes forget that they are in the AL now? I still can't get used to it and I always think it's an inter league game. 

Not really. The Astros changed back to the orange/navy blue colors with the change in leagues and they were so terrible for so long, it's almost been like a rebirth. I adjusted rather easily. 

40 minutes ago, xaxat said:

...Mets (who played this afternoon)

I don't understand the scheduling of today's Met game, and listening to some of it on the radio, neither did the guys in the booth - a mid-week day game to start a series?

Just now, Moose135 said:

I don't understand the scheduling of today's Met game, and listening to some of it on the radio, neither did the guys in the booth - a mid-week day game to start a series?

It's a promotion for kid's summer camps that they do every year.  The campers come by the busload and each camp has a uniquely colored T shirt so the park is filled with blocks of colorful sections. 

Other team also do this.

• Love 3

Thanks! I remember them having Camp Day in the past, it just seemed usual to schedule a series opener as a day game, rather than a more traditional "getaway day" series ending game.

Wow.  Earlier tonight a friend of mine PM'd me about meeting her at the Red Sox game tomorrow/ Friday vs Angels. I started thinking "yeah... maybe..."

Then I watched the 9th inning of tonight's game.  I'm not sure the pain and suffering of the drive to get to Anaheim and home is worth the pain and suffering of watching the Red Sox play right now.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, King of Birds said:

Wow.  Earlier tonight a friend of mine PM'd me about meeting her at the Red Sox game tomorrow/ Friday vs Angels. I started thinking "yeah... maybe..."

Then I watched the 9th inning of tonight's game.  I'm not sure the pain and suffering of the drive to get to Anaheim and home is worth the pain and suffering of watching the Red Sox play right now.

Heartbreaking game last night. Farrell is running out of excuses.

• Love 1

It's raining right now. The Mets could use it, but tonight is Mike Piazza's night. What would happen if the game was postponed? Would they still have the ceremony? Oh, and the guy on the radio news channel said they were raising Piazza's number to the rafters, and I kinda/sorta want to punch him for that.

The Indians had an Indians Hall of Fame recognition ceremony this evening for Oakland broadcaster Ray Fosse.  His co-broadcaster Glen Kuiper noted that not only is his broadcasting team mate Fosse in the Indians' hall of fame, but so is his brother, Duane Kuiper (who does broadcasts for the Giants).

Did I ever tell you guys that I was in the crowd the last time the Mets retired a number?* I don't remember much from Tom Seaver's ceremony, though I do vividly recall him thanking the fans by jogging to the mound and bowing four times to the crowd.

*Not counting Jackie Robinson, even though that was done at Shea.

ETA: Another disappointing night for the Mets, and they can't blame an overzealous ump this time. I mean, they did rule fan interference on a Wilmer Flores shot, but that would've made the score 7-3 in the ninth. I'd say that they should fold up shop and play for .500, but that's probably what I was feeling this time last year.

• Love 1

Astros taking advantage of the Pokemon Go craze:

image.jpegimage.jpeg

They're letting people on the field to catch the Pokemon (just the warning track) and you get that t-shirt. This event is sold out, by the way, so I'd say it worked like a charm. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Did I ever tell you guys that I was in the crowd the last time the Mets retired a number?* I don't remember much from Tom Seaver's ceremony, though I do vividly recall him thanking the fans by jogging to the mound and bowing four times to the crowd.

*Not counting Jackie Robinson, even though that was done at Shea.

ETA: Another disappointing night for the Mets, and they can't blame an overzealous ump this time. I mean, they did rule fan interference on a Wilmer Flores shot, but that would've made the score 7-3 in the ninth. I'd say that they should fold up shop and play for .500, but that's probably what I was feeling this time last year.

Considering it was fan interference, so yeah, plus good job on kicking the mealy mouth kid out of the ballpark.

5 hours ago, mojoween said:

NOOOOOOOO NOT MILLER TOO WTF

Sorry Yankee fans, Cashman seems to be dismantling the team.

Go Nationals, Go Orioles Go Red Sox

• Love 1

Bob Melvin really needs to go.  He has utterly destroyed Sonny Gray by keeping him in when he gives up big runs and he has no confidence left.  Gray has given up 7 runs in something like four innings today.  He just doesn't have it.  Melvin does not any longer know how to handle pitchers.

I understand what Cashman did but I don't like it. Not right now anyway. No, I don't think they have a chance to make a wild card or even a play in game. But I do wish they could have gotten someone to join the roster today (Clippard doesn't count as that is a different trade.). The clubhouse vibe is visibly shaken. Miller was universally loved as he is a totally unselfish player who will do whatever is asked...set up, close. Dude didn't even ask for a no trade clause. Hope he has learned his lesson on that point. Always get a no trade, full or partial because you can also waive it. 

Well, I will get used to it. This team has been a huge disappointment and Cashman said in his conference call that more was coming. Beltran? McCann? Maybe waivers later on will produce/deduct something. I was watching the post game interview with A-Rod and he looks drained. It was a tough day losing Miller and the game plus his PH strikeout but I actually felt bad for him. As Seinfeld once said, you root for the laundry. I hated Alex as a Mariner b/c I hated the Mariners since they beat the Yanks in '95. Hated him on Texas because I just never liked them and would have hated him if the Bosox deal had gone through. So he wears pinstripes and I gotta like him. I hope he goes to management in the off season and works out something where he can get a Bobby Bonilla deal (Mets are STILL paying him) or something. I think he is done.

But please, Cashman, don't trade my sweetie Adam Warren again. I would love to see him as a 4 or 5 starter or at least have a definitive role in the pen.   

• Love 1

How about ARod retiring?  But he is too selfish to leave money on the table so he will clog up the roster and take his money even though he is hurting the club by not producing.

I know, you Yankee fans must think of me as an uncaring Red Sox monster- but what Cashman is doing is very much needed. Frazier and Sheffield are two good players coming back in the Miller trade.  Because as prican says up there, ARod is done. Well done. Stick a fork in him. Plus, it may "right the karma ship" that asshole never sees 714. 

he will clog up the roster and take his money even though he is hurting the club by not producing.

Actually, you wanna know what's worse? Remember Allen Craig? Was a Cardinal, traded to Boston for John Lackey two years ago? They outrighted him off the 40 man and he's playing ROOKIE BALL.  Playing against guys 10-13 years younger than him. And doing poorly. But he'll make $9mil this year. In A-ball. And $11mil in 2017 ... I'm also guessing still in A-ball.  My guess is he won't retire because- no one else would take his contract, and why not take the money?

• Love 1

I found out after church this morning--I put my phone on vibrate during the service, and felt it go off during the homily(and kept telling myself "Don't answer it"). My reaction, once I got to the parish hall, was similar to mojo's after the Chapman trade(except having to watch my language because, you know, church).

• Love 2

At least Craig is playing and might be helping the team by mentoring younger players while he is there. The Red Sox could release him and eat the money like the Dodgers did with old friend Crawford, another one who is taking the money sitting at home instead of retiring. Both ARod and Crawford are beat up and can't perform any longer and take the money anyway.

The Giants have won a whole 2 games in a row. Be still, my heart. LOL @ Zimmerman's delayed reaction to getting hit in the wrist. Don't fan the (fan)flames Zimmerman. You don't want to mess with this crowd. 

Also love having a pitcher who can pinch hit a double... and having another pitcher pinch-run for the pinch-hit pitcher. Yep.

• Love 2

I'm guessing the No Runs DMC t shirts are selling for pennies. David Wright is an alright guy by me and yes it is sweet to name his daughter after Shea.

K of B, yeah I know it's the right thing to do. It was just very weird to hear it. I will get over it. I am almost there. I really do feel bad for the players b/c they all truly like each other and they know that the awful start was the real reason the bullpen got broken up. McCann sounded like he was going to cry when I heard him on the radio. 

I don't begrudge A Rod or any other playing getting their agreed upon money. Many of us would do whatever it takes short of something illegal, to get what is yours. I just wish they could come to an agreement because Alex needs to retire.

On 7/30/2016 at 3:03 PM, Lantern7 said:

It's raining right now. The Mets could use it, but tonight is Mike Piazza's night. What would happen if the game was postponed? Would they still have the ceremony? Oh, and the guy on the radio news channel said they were raising Piazza's number to the rafters, and I kinda/sorta want to punch him for that.

Heard an interesting factoid on MLB Network during the game - Mike Piazza was 6 for 15 with a homer in his career against Bartolo Colon, who was the Met starter for Saturday's game.