Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

And ... I don't really understand what just happened at the end of the Giants game.  Casilla balked in the winning run.  But, he kind of started to throw the pitch, then ran halfway to the plate before he released the ball, between the batter's legs.

• Love 1

Luckily I was out with some friends so I didn't actually watch tonight's game because I think I might have had an aneurysm if I had, but I'm over Casilla. He needs to go. Like yesterday. I was following the game at the end on my phone and as soon as I saw Casilla was pitching the bottom of the 10th I thought, well, there goes our potential win! On a balk, to add insult to injury. UGH!!!! 

(At least the dodgers lost too).

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/15/2016 at 9:47 PM, mojoween said:

I think that I want the Yankees to contend WITH Texeira, Chapman, Miller and Ellsbury.  Is that so wrong?

I agree, mojo. However, I think the S's need to let Cash do his job. For the first time in a long time he actually has folks that teams could use as trade material.  Yanks could get beaucoup players for Chapman and Miller and maybe somebody somewhere takes Tex and Jacoby. Jacoby is difficult because he has maybe 7 years left! And really, who wants Tex when he is hovering around .200. But damn, the guy can still play first base like nobody's business! I am actually excited to see what happens in the next 2 weeks. I really don't care if they are a .500 team. Cashman needs to be able to shape the future.

Here is an interesting look at what is at stake for the franchise.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/yankees-sell-trade-deadline-consequences-article-1.2712339

Edited by prican58

This weekend, I lost a dear friend, former coworker, "birthday twin"(same day four years apart), and fellow Yankees fan, so I was glad to see them salvage the last game of the Red Sox series.

1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

The Indians held a ceremony in which Yan Gomes "sacrificed" a chicken (from Target) to Jobu.  He still went hitless and then got injured in the next game.  

"Fuck you, Jobu" is one of my favorite baseball movie quotes.  Not quite as great as "there's no  crying in baseball!" but still effective in its own right.

In other news I might have a work trip to the Philadelphia area in August so naturally I checked the Phillies' schedule and they're on the road that week.  Bastards.

1 hour ago, smittykins said:

This weekend, I lost a dear friend, former coworker, "birthday twin"(same day four years apart), and fellow Yankees fan, so I was glad to see them salvage the last game of the Red Sox series.

I'm so sorry to hear that!  I feel they were looking down last night and helped with the W.

2 hours ago, smittykins said:

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

My sister and I are birthday twins, also four years apart.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, kariyaki said:

I couldn't stop laughing at this clip of a player apparently landing in a fan's nachos. 

Dammit, I miss  Don Orsillo. Reminds me of the infamous Pizza throw at Fenway years ago.

Thanks for posting.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Rick Kitchen said:

The Astros are so cold on the field in Oakland, they have a heater going.  It was 66 degrees at game time and it's currently 59.

Damn.  I've got a ticket to the game on Wednesday afternoon.  Glad I picked a day game.  And brought a coat.

Is that why people seemed to not be at the game? I was only able to watch for about an hour (darn night-time west coast games!) and that was one really empty stadium.

Ugh I don't want to wait for a rebuild.  Watching Chapman is so fun* it's going to suck when he gets dealt.

*Even though I still have trouble reconciling rooting for Chapman considering what he did.

(edited)
11 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Is that why people seemed to not be at the game? I was only able to watch for about an hour (darn night-time west coast games!) and that was one really empty stadium.

The official attendance at last night's game was 10,600.  A's don't draw.

Edited by Rick Kitchen
13 hours ago, kariyaki said:

No, it's just that no one goes to A's games. I've seen emptier stadiums though. 

Familia walks two Cubs in the bottom of the ninth, then Reyes botches a play to load the bases with nobody out. Strikeout, double play. The streak lives. Here's hoping Terry learns how to exhale.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Here's hoping Terry learns how to exhale.

Me too...it was the ESPN game tonight, so I got to watch, and I think I held my breath for the entire bottom of the ninth too!

Ron Manfred declared this morning that he likes the ASG meaning home-field in the WS so that rule is apparently not going away anytime soon.

He also likes the idea of a relay system to get pitchers involved in the HR Derby.

OMG, Ichiro! It must be rosin dust getting in my eyes here:

As a new player in the States, he gravitated toward another pioneer. He loved going to Kansas City to talk with Buck O'Neil, the former Negro Leagues player who became the first black coach in the majors. O'Neil would hang around the batting cage before games. Ichiro enjoyed his style -- O'Neil always dressed beautifully -- and soaked up his stories. O'Neil had also helped establish the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum, and Ichiro stopped in for a tour. When O'Neil died in 2006, Ichiro sent a giant wreath to the memorial service.

A year later, on a road trip to Kansas City, he asked to meet some of the museum's staff. Museum president Bob Kendrick showed Ichiro a rare program from a barnstorming tour of Japan that a Negro League team called the Philadelphia Royal Giants made in 1927. Ichiro held the fragile paper in his hands, read from the Japanese on the cover. Then he got around to why he had come. He pulled out his checkbook. Kendrick won't say how much Ichiro donated to the museum, but he says it was the biggest donation from any active player.

::me, puddling::

• Love 11

Wow, they really don't dust these hotel rooms in San Francisco well...   Thanks for that, @attica

Yesterday, I enjoyed a lovely afternoon at the Coliseum.  The game was awful, but the beer was good.  And, I got sunburned!  Yippee......  

• Love 2

I still wear my Ichiro 31 for the Yanks.  I know I've said this before, but I don't care - he is one of the most beautiful people on the planet.  And now I know it's outside AND in!

The Yanks are playing a day game today so I get to break in my shiny new FOX Sports Go app woo!  Now stop fucking everything up, Carston.

• Love 2

After the Giants played three games after the ASG, they had a day off while flying to Boston, then played two games there, then had a day off while flying all the way to New York.  This sort of kind of explains why they're playing so badly.  They can't get any rhythm going.

(edited)
5 hours ago, Rick Kitchen said:

After the Giants played three games after the ASG, they had a day off while flying to Boston, then played two games there, then had a day off while flying all the way to New York.  This sort of kind of explains why they're playing so badly.  They can't get any rhythm going.

They actually took the midnight (private) train going anywhere/NY. For real though, they took a train to NY haha!

Panik might be back for the Yankees series. Hope that'll boost the team. Amazingly even though we've lost 5 in a row, we're still in second across the league. At least we set up some cushioning for ourselves! ;)

Edited by MattDuffysCat
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I'm planning my Sunday, so I gotta ask: what is the order of induction at Cooperstown?

I don't know, but if it was up to me, it would be Piazza first then Griffey.  In order of popularity