Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Ahh I cannot even stand it. Mo is in Auburn watching his son play for the Doubledays and my friend's kid was taken to get an autographed baseball. I live like 20 minutes from there and I probably have an in because of The Hartford connection but it's too late to drive over now. Waaaaah.

Damn, I forgot that the Doubledays are a Nats team now(for some reason, I thought it was still Blue Jays).

In other news, Jon Lester is now 1 for 67!(Although he had to hit it off Lackey's foot to get it.)

Edited by smittykins

Last night, ESPN 'cast a minor league game between the Akron RubberDucks and the Richmond Flying Squirrels. I...really can't endorse that.  Can you imagine being a grown-ass man filling out your tax form by putting "RubberDuck" under 'occupation'? 

(Squirrels won, 2-1) (in case you were curious.)

Yay, Giants farmhands!

• Love 1

Adam Lind has an RBI in 9 straight games! Tying the Brewers record!  Brewers have won 8 straight!  Not the team record!  

Major League record for consecutive games with an RBI is 17 !!!

Is your real name Elaine Benes?  Because you have an exclamation point issue.

Just thought everyone would like to know that Jon Lester is now on a one game hitting streak.

No way! I won't even look up the boxscore, but I would not be surprised if he tripped over his own feet running for 2B.

(edited)

Just thought everyone would like to know that Jon Lester is now on a one game hitting streak.

And it went a whole 100 feet. 

No way! I won't even look up the boxscore, but I would not be surprised if he tripped over his own feet running for 2B.

No just hitting off  the pitcher giving him time to make it to first.

Edited by tom87

Ugh. Cardinals Molina and manager Matheny ejected in Chicago. Chicago's my hometown but I loathe Cubs fans. Such an unpleasant group of people. The crowd was having a great time. They looked happier than even in their (very rare) postseason moments. Why??

• Love 1
(edited)

Ugh. Cardinals Molina and manager Matheny ejected in Chicago. Chicago's my hometown but I loathe Cubs fans. Such an unpleasant group of people. The crowd was having a great time. They looked happier than even in their (very rare) postseason moments. Why??

They didn't look to happy when Jhonny Peralta belted a two-run homer to  win the  game.

Edited by tom87
  • Love 2

That Yadi moment is pretty hilarious. Guys are running the bases and Yadi is jawing with the ump instead of actually being aware of the play AND distracting the ump from watching the plate as guys scored. Very professional.

I wish Clayton Kershaw had just made the All-Star team, especially so we didn't have to hear about how he should be there. He SHOULD be there and it's kind of silly that he's not.

I wish Clayton Kershaw had just made the All-Star team, especially so we didn't have to hear about how he should be there. He SHOULD be there and it's kind of silly that he's not.

I've been voting for him and Xander in the "final vote."

(edited)

Alex Gordon popped his groin and is out for eight weeks so Gardy got tapped by Yost to take the open outfielder's spot in the ASG. I think that's great obv but interesting as well because everything I've seen in the last few days is that Cespedes was ahead of Gardner in the final five voting.

'Sok though, Brett deserved a spot. Tough break for Gordon, his injury looked awful.

I voted for Cueto in the NL for no reason other than the game is in Cincy. I know Kershaw is great in the regular season, but I have no real affection for one NL guy over another.

Edited by mojoween

Ummm, did Bill Murray read your post RedheadZombie?

Bill Murray On Cardinals Fans: "Satan's Messengers On Earth"

That's hilarious! A friendly rivalry it is not. My personal favorite moment was when a grown man spit on me, a teenage girl, at Wrigley Field. And this was AFTER the Cubs beat the Cardinals. Poor losers and in their rare winning moments - poor winners.

That Yadi moment is pretty hilarious. Guys are running the bases and Yadi is jawing with the ump instead of actually being aware of the play AND distracting the ump from watching the plate as guys scored. Very professional.t.

Molina is universally respected as one of the best in the business. He doesn't need me to defend him.

• Love 1

Right now, SNY has a banner running about how Steven Matz tore a lat muscle and will not throw for three weeks. Cut to every Mets fan making the gun-to-head motion. Seriously, the latest wunderkind who's 2-0 and 3-for-6 at the plate with 5 RBI, and he's out. Don't be surprised if Jacob deGrom comes out of the All-Star Game needing Tommy John surgery.

ETA: I was at a pub last night with the Yankees game on. Is it messed up that they're giving away replica World Series rings from 2000 to kids 14 and under?

ETA: I was at a pub last night with the Yankees game on. Is it messed up that they're giving away replica World Series rings from 2000 to kids 14 and under?

Yes.

"Hey kids! Here's a ring that celebrates an event that happened before you were born!" doesn't seem like a good pitch to the next generation of fans.

• Love 1
(edited)

"Hey kids! Here's a ring that celebrates an event that happened before you were born!" doesn't seem like a good pitch to the next generation of fans.

I know what you mean but I also know that kids love things that are old (even super old) as long as they are super-cool.  Dinosaurs, for example.  Surely everyone here must have made some kind of map or set of clubhouse rules or something as a child and BURNED THE EDGES OF IT so that it would look really old and boss.

People who are  attracted to baseball as a sport and a pastime are generally in love with the whole idea of it having a long history, even when they may not really know that much about the history.  They just know it exists, and children often like this idea.

Edited by ratgirlagogo

No matter which game I want to replay, if there is an interruption in the stream for any reason whatsoever, my MLB.TV reverts back to an Orioles game from last year.  I am starting to absolutely detest the music the Orioles use to introduce their games. MLB.TV is worthless, a monopoly in every sense of the word, they have hired poo-flinging monkeys as their IT quote/unquote professionals, and any complaint you have will be answered with the same series of useless questions that ultimately end up with saying it's your fault, it's your fault, it's all your fault.  :grrrr:

Well I think Buster Posey is a phenomenal catcher. I don't discount his abilities simply because he and Yadi are always vying for "who's the best" in analysts minds. I bet there's a deep mutual professional respect between the two.

Interesting (to me) trivia. Molina's two older brothers were also catchers in the majors. Before Yadi entered the majors, one of his brothers was asked about the legacy of the two eldest. The brother answered that you haven't seen anything yet. The best brother was yet to come.

I agree! I was mostly referring to a tendency I've noticed where if Buster is mentioned positively in the media, fans can't resist commenting that Yadi is a lot better. I respect them both and remember the camera catching them having a friendly conversation at a previous All-Star Game so I have no doubt that they respect each other and likely have lots to discuss when they see each other.

I love that for three years straight, a different Molina brother got a World Series ring. That's a pretty nifty feat! 

• Love 1

I discovered tonight that the immersion was complete while watching the Yankee game.

When my hubs and I got together over twenty years ago, I had fallen away from sports except for the big stuff. And after we were married, we played D&D and Magic. And then we had a kid. But we had discussed sports and hubby said that he grew up a Reds fan and also liked the A's because of Rickey and he hated everything about the Yankees, including George and what he thought was grotesque money-spending.

Flash forward ten to fifteen years, the kid is older, we don't play Magic any more and I'm watching sports all year round. And guess what? He roots for the Yankees almost as much as I do! And he loves Tex.

That's my story. Carry on with your evenings.

• Love 1

I agree! I was mostly referring to a tendency I've noticed where if Buster is mentioned positively in the media, fans can't resist commenting that Yadi is a lot better. I respect them both and remember the camera catching them having a friendly conversation at a previous All-Star Game so I have no doubt that they respect each other and likely have lots to discuss when they see each other.

I love that for three years straight, a different Molina brother got a World Series ring. That's a pretty nifty feat! 

Yes, the Molina brothers currently have a combined six world series rings.  I have high hopes that Yadi will add at least one more before retirement.

Yadi debuted in the majors in June of 2004.  By that fall, he started in the world series, ahead of veteran Mike Matheny (current Cardinals manager).  It can be a very small world in Redbird Nation.

I didn't see most of the Mets game today. I missed the part where Matt Harvey hit a two-run homer. Why do I feel that the Mets will be brought up as the best reason not to bring the designated hitter to the National League? The pitchers make things interesting, whether it's homers or Bartolo Colon stretching a triple into a double.

• Love 2

Michael Wacha got two hits in a game the other day. I despise the thought of a DL in the National League. It just doesn't belong there, IMO, and watching a manager having to work around the pitcher in the lineup, is one of the strategies I enjoy watching.

• Love 5

I fully understand that trying to win a regular season game is more important than playing in an ASG but man I still feel badly for Max Scherzer. Guess the Nats need him in his rotation spot.

By far the most impressive home run hit by a pitcher this week was A. J. Burnett's last night. Early in the game, the home plate ump blew a strike call, enabling Mark Reynolds to hit an unearned home run. But Babe Burnett later extracted his revenge, smashing a home run into left field.

Oh, and the Bucs won with a walk off homer after falling behind in the tenth and fourteenth innings.

SNY is running Johan Santana's no-hitter from three years ago. I remember that because I was napping after a long week's worth of work, and I missed it completely. Anybody else think that Santana's woes escalated because he dared to be the first Mets pitcher to throw a no-no? Especially after one Cardinal hit a ball on the third base line, and that was called foul.

Didn't he throw something like 130 pitches to get it? I remember Terry Collins was almost distraught during the post-game when he was second guessing his decision to leave Santana in.

• Love 1

I fully understand that trying to win a regular season game is more important than playing in an ASG but man I still feel badly for Max Scherzer. Guess the Nats need him in his rotation spot.

Sonny Gray and Corey Kluber pitched today, too, and won't play in the ASG.

The Cleveland and Oakland all stars are hiring a bus to travel together to Cincinnati.

I washed my hands of Albert Pujols when he said it wasn't about the money, then left St. Louis because it was all about the money.  But this is a sweet story, and reminds me of the guy I used to like.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/07/albert-pujols-was-the-real-winner-of-last-nights-home-run-derby

And then the moment was ruined when I googled a story of how Pujols spoke at a Glenn Beck "Restoring Honor" rally.  Oh brother.

• Love 1

I know, but it looked like the AL batters were going in swinging. I'm not complaining . . . my worst case scenario involved deGrom getting a line drive to the arm that somehow results in him needing Tommy John surgery. And if you think that's far-fetched, you're not a Mets fan.

(edited)

Wow, the Cincinnati Reds fans really have it in for the Cardinals...

Their resentment is delicious.   Especially funny since their guy Phillips instigated it all.  But frankly it is old news to be getting that many boos .

But I like how they booed Albert and he was like I am not even a Cardinal any more.    Albert than jokingly booed Yadi too.

Edited by tom87
  • Love 1