Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: Mary Jane's Last Dance

That was sweet. It wasn't as good as the Scrubs finale, but if you're going to wrap up a show that was fundamentally about a bunch of people who liked each other liking each other, they could have done much worse. There was niceness to all of the relationships -- even Travis and Laurie looked like they had real affection for each other. And as silly as the Bobby stuff felt, it was good to have hi around. 

This was a bad season, with lots of bad episodes and what felt like bad karma all the way through. But I'll miss it. It was an enjoyable way to spend a half hour a few times a month, and those are harder to find than I'd like. 

• Love 6

Aww, that was sweet. Way way better than anything else this season. I kind of suspected they'd somehow create a funeral style situation for Jules since the writers aren't subtle about things like that and there's no way Ellie and Jules could live apart. Glad Bobby could make an appearance, even if not in person.

Imaginary confetti!

• Love 3

I agree whiporee.  It was a good sendoff to this show.  I liked having the group together and celebrating what they built.  It was a nice sendoff to the long running jokes.  I also weirdly loved when Bobby screamed at Jules to get out of her house because it was moving.  So dumb.  So good.

• Love 3

And they had plenty of great callbacks which I appreciated. We got to know that Tom was successful in his relationship with Mary. And I really enjoyed the sentiment - what will we be like when we're older? Just doing this same thing. 

I kind of suspected they'd somehow create a funeral style situation for Jules since the writers aren't subtle about things like that and there's no way Ellie and Jules could live apart.

I knew they weren't moving and Lori and Travis weren't moving but I did like what Grayson set up and I kind of LOVED how committed to the bit they were with furniture movers at Ellie and her husband (whose name is completely escaping me right now) house. 

I think I'm feeling relieved (probably like the actors) that this is over. This year was painful to watch. I did love this episode, and the commitment everyone made to the ruse.

It is nice to think of the cul-de-sac crew still there, drinking wine...farewell.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think I'm feeling relieved (probably like the actors) that this is over. This year was painful to watch.

I must be honest. I thought the series ender was pretty high on the self-indulgent crap meter. I know they've been fairly consistent with Jules being the mother hen to the group, but this episode just ratcheted it up to infinity. I can't believe I used to think Grayson and Jules had chemistry, because their marriage was just uncomfortable to watch. I think Jules and Bobby made a better couple.

Seriously, what did Brian Van Holt do or whom did he piss off that he was fired the last season of the show? His absence showed that he was a vital part of the cul de sac crew. It was pathetic that his last appearance was as an iPad, probably recorded at the same time he recorded the episode with the birth of baby Bobby.

No, Tom, they did not always make you feel welcome. They treated you like shit. They used you as it suited them. I kind of wish the last episode had been Tom stalking and killing them all. it really bugs me that they all acted as though he'd been part of the group since the beginning.

For a second, when Grayson tells Jules she got her present -- to hear what people would say about her at her funeral -- I thought we were going to find out she had died for real. (One of the most powerful episodes of "Scrubs" was the episode

when Ben dies, but we don't realize it until the end

.)

I did like the "What?" "What?" "What?" running gag.

Otherwise, I really think the show went out with a whimper, not a bang. That's sad.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 4
(edited)
I must be honest. I thought the series ender was pretty high on the self-indulgent crap meter.

Agreed. Didn't care for the finale. First, the way the group set up Jules was actually mean. Why put someone through that pain at all? Second, when it appeared the gang was all splitting up, I actually thought that was a much better ending. Jules needed to grow up. We all have times in our lives when everything seems perfect, and then people move on as lives change and you end up in a new situation, which can be even better (or worse). It's tough, and sweet, and real. That was where I thought they were headed, and I was impressed because that would have been a grown up conclusion to a series that was largely silly. But the cheap ending was more in line with the show overall, I guess.

I did like the "What?" "What?" "What?" running gag.

Hated it. Especially as it got longer. There's silly, and there is annoying. For me, it was annoying bordering on "watch a different show right now!"

Edited by Ottis

Agreed. Didn't care for the finale. First, the way the group set up Jules was actually mean. Why put someone through that pain at all? Second, when it appeared the gang was all splitting up, I actually thought that was a much better ending. Jules needed to grow up. We all have times in our lives when everything seems perfect, and then people move on as lives change and you end up in a new situation, which can be even better (or worse). It's tough, and sweet, and real. That was where I thought they were headed, and I was impressed because that would have been a grown up conclusion to a series that was largely silly. But the cheap ending was more in line with the show overall, I guess.

I also didn't like the finale and found it depressing. Although Chick's Alzheimer's seems to have been dropped as a plot point, I couldn't help thinking that things would be changing for the worse soon whether Jules liked it or not.

Also, maybe being apart would force the characters to realize how dependent they are on alcohol--not to be a downer; I like to drink too, but not all day every day. As the series went on, the drinking seemed to become more and more of a focus. Maybe because it was the only thing the characters had in common by the end of the show.

I know they've been fairly consistent with Jules being the mother hen to the group, but this episode just ratcheted it up to infinity.

I want to expand on my observation. The more I think about it, the more I've come to believe Jules was a tyrant. Her family and friends had to change themselves, their lives, basically anything that made them individuals to cater to her every whim. Jules guilted them every single moment of their lives so they would conform to what she wanted.

Grayson was a strong, assertive man in the early episodes. He turned into Jules's pussy whipped bitch. Andy's sole source of happiness in his life -- Bobby -- escaped. And the less said about future serial killer Tom the better. Bet Brian Van Holt is really glad he got fired after the debacle of this last season.

• Love 2
The more I think about it, the more I've come to believe Jules was a tyrant. Her family and friends had to change themselves, their lives, basically anything that made them individuals to cater to her every whim. Jules guilted them every single moment of their lives so they would conform to what she wanted.

ITA. I never really got her appeal. I liked the secondary characters more than Jules.

I actually loved that enDing, but I really don't understand why the couldn't have made it a two parter and just skipped that awful mess that was last week. If they did that I'm sure it would have been a lot better and that I'd have a better sense of closure.

• Love 3

I loved the episode. I am a big supporter of Jules. It must not have been easy being married to a guy who slept around, having a limited education, raising a child essentially on her own, and building up a successful business. I also like her exuberance. So many lead characters are so sarcastic and sardonic, rolling their eyes at the idiosyncrasies of the supporting characters. I think she's quite the opposite of trying to get the others to change--she's really quite accepting of the others. Ellie is still not nice. Tom is still creepy. I can't see any of the other characters being the "lead" to this show.

This season was wildly uneven, with a lot of truly awful episodes. But overall, I will have a great fondness for this series. There really haven't been too many standout sitcoms this decade. I think Cougar Town should be mentioned in a list of elite sitcoms of the 2010's (have no idea what term you use to describe this decade).

• Love 3
I am a big supporter of Jules. It must not have been easy being married to a guy who slept around, having a limited education, raising a child essentially on her own, and building up a successful business.

If the season 1 Jules had been season 6 Jules, I would agree with you. I liked Jules from the start, but they made her stupider and stupider as the seasons progressed, to the point that I started to wonder how she could have started a successful business, and they made her needier and needier.

I think she's quite the opposite of trying to get the others to change--she's really quite accepting of the others.

I disagree. Jules accepts others -- as long as they conform to her idea of what they should be and that they should be at her beck and call.

• Love 1